MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Flu Season 2019-2020

Mt_Rider

Says it's beginning early.  Most prevalent one is not hitting older folks....50+. 

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2019-12-06/us-flu-season-arrives-early-driven-by-an-unexpected-virus

{Sorry, took it down to switch links...all good now}

MtRider  ...live healthy... Vit C...y'all know the drill  :frozen: 

Edited by Mt_Rider

I have heard about that. Seems children and teens are being hit the hardest.  We have had our flu injections but that doesn't always mean we still won't get it.  I don't let DH out of house much during this time. And if any of the kids are sick, they stay home. We cannot take any chances of DH getting the flu with all his heart issues and cronic sinus infections. 

Jeepers from what you had been saying about your symtoms, it does sound like you may have had some forum of the flu. But so many different ones now it would be hard to say which one it was. Please take all precautiions so you don''t get any of the other strains. Use antibacteral wipes and hand lotion when you go to stores. I always take the wipes to wipe down the baskets as well. Better safe than sorry.

You are so right. I know I had a virus but I don't know which one. I use those wipes too. I wipe the cart handle going in and again coming out. I wipe my hands past my wrist and then get another one to wipe my steering wheel in the car. I also carry around a pump bottle in the car. So many places have the bottles sitting around on their counters and desks now. I use them. 

I've been on ecanacia (sp) and vitamin C for a couple of weeks. Right before I got sick. When I started feeling bad I used Zicam too. When my stomach was sick I used pepto, dramamine, nauzene, Zofran, prego pops, ginger snaps and what ever else I had laying around here. Nothing helped except an empty stomach. 

• Sad 2

They are saying that the usual wipes are not effective against all things cuz, tho they are Clorox, they are NOT bleach.  Neither are the gel bottles.  Now bleach isn't good on your hands, of course.  So if you do wipe down things with bleach, use rubber gloves.  But soap/water is better...more multipurpose than the wipes.

From a newsletter from one major health facility:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Protect yourself from the extremely contagious norovirus.

Unfortunately hand sanitizer can't kill norovirus, the contagious stomach bug that has forced the closure of an entire school district in Colorado........

Norovirus is an extremely crafty bug and each particle comes with it’s own protective shield of sorts to help it survive as long as possible.

“Alcohol can’t break the shield. A detergent like soap can most of the time...........................

Be really diligent with hand washing. Make sure you’re washing your hands really well with soap and water and that you’re cleaning surfaces with bleach. Also, be very conscious about food preparation ..........................

hand sanitizers, which contain alcohol, can be useful to protect people from other illnesses like colds and the flu. So, don’t throw out your hand sanitizer............

{My note:  This doc ate a sandwich at from an airport and wham!}

suffering from norovirus instead.  “It’s a very infectious virus that causes pretty severe diarrhea and vomiting for 24 to 36 hours. If anybody in your household gets it, it’s just so infectious that everyone around you is likely to get it,  ..... only takes one or two particles of norovirus to make you sick, ...... In terms of what to do to treat it, the No. 1 thing is to stay home. There’s no treatment. You have to let it run its course

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

<all the emphasis is mine>

Anyway....be sure to check out any medical data with sources you trust......but that gives some info.

MtRider  :darthduck:    Armor-up, friends!

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Thanks 1

I just use the wipes the stores provide for the carts. Then finish them off on my hands. While still wet, I wipe off the steering wheel. If I happen to walk past a pump bottle I'll take a little dab. I use the Clorox type wipes on the kitchen counter tops. Especially when I'm canning. 

I wonder how long it will take the virus' to become immune to the hand sanitizer? They say that is already happening with antibacterial soap like Dial. 

Sometimes you just have to let it run its course and do what ever it takes to feel comfortable. Try to find out what your comfy place is now because sometimes meds don't work. Favorite pillows, blanket, aroma, comfort food, hard candy etc. Mine is a big heating pad. It doesn't cure anything but it sure feels good and relaxes me enough to sleep through some of it. A fan is another must have for me. Even if I point it away from me, the noise blocks everything else out. Old Prime movies on the Kindle and bunches of Old Time Radio shows on MP3 disc player in the bed with me pretty much rounds out my comfort zone.