MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

HELP WITH CANNER!

One of my pressure canners is so hard to put the lid on that I am afraid if I run it, I won't get it off.  I oiled seal and checked pressure vent.  Don't know what else to do and have 3 batches of dog food ready to go.  Call me at.  Not worried about phone number, google already has it.  Help please!!!

Never mind.  Think I got it.  We will see when it's time to come off!

Edited by snapshotmiki
update
  • Like 2

glad you got it miki!  Gaskets can be soooo tight!  As soon as you break it in it should work a lot easier.  My new (smaller) canner gasket sticks, too.  

2 hours ago, kappydell said:

glad you got it miki!  Gaskets can be soooo tight!  As soon as you break it in it should work a lot easier.  My new (smaller) canner gasket sticks, too.  

Scared me!  A former member--momof7-- I think is her handle, got back to me and made a few suggestions.  She is the one who stayed on the phone with me the first time I used a pressure canner--the whole time!  

Lightly oiled the rim and lid of canner did the trick.  And yes, it was my new seal!  Had used it once before.  

I tried to use the chat box, but was unsuccessful.  Also, tied to find members so I could confirm momof7.  I'm sure it's somewhere?!

And thanks, Kappy and anyone else who was wondering!  3rd batch is almost done-- 20 quarts total!

I boiled some turnips for mash and they are great!  Have to add them to my seed collection!

• Like 3

Glad you got it unstuck. I've had that happen too. Someone here had the lid stuck on so tightly they had to ruin the canner to get the lid off. I can't remember (of course) who it was now. 

I have the opposite problem. I have a hard time getting the lid on. The gasket keeps wanting to fall off when I flip the lid over to put it on the pot. Wetting it seems to help but only a little. 

• Like 1

I usually wash my gaskets and oil them after I'm finished a canning session...then...I only set the lid on the canner.  I do NOT tighten it down.  I just think it presses the gasket down when it's not needed to be pressed down.  Just my opinion dontcha know!

• Like 1

Glad you got it done, Miki.  Mom of 7....long time ago.   Darlene stayed on phone with me the first pressure canning time.  I kept holding the phone near the canner so she could hear if the "jiggly thing" was doing the right cadence.  :lol: 

MtRider  :canning:   A little hand-holding goes a long ways with pressure canning! 

• Like 2
On 1/4/2020 at 8:46 PM, Jeepers said:

I have the opposite problem. I have a hard time getting the lid on. The gasket keeps wanting to fall off when I flip the lid over to put it on the pot. Wetting it seems to help but only a little.

'Keg lubricant'.  The brand I prefer is 'Tap Craft'.  Comes in a one ounce jar.  You can find it at many home brewers sites.   I use it on set/seal any gasket, to include o-rings.  I remember ''Presto' would sell it with their canners. 

Do not use a chemist's glass stopper sealant, not as food safe.

Sarah

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2