MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Which butter is better: salted or unsalted?

Hmm...  Of course butter was salted to preserve.  I disagree to his ratios though, much more salt was used than he says.  Was. I also note that he does NOT mention another butter preservation method, butter crocks.  I grew up crocking.  Today it is too much trouble.  I also wonder if one can easily find butter crocks commercially.  For those not aware a butter crock is a bowl that is packed with fresh butter, then inverted in an outer crock which was water filled.  This sealed out the air and thus preserved the butter.  There was, and the memory is fuzzy, crock butter sold which had the water flavored, imparting some flavor to the butter.  Crocked butter was for raw butter, a real bed for spoilage.  It is not what you buy now, and while not as well preserved as the modern stuffs, crocking did help preserve for a short time. 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Sarah said:

Hmm...  Of course butter was salted to preserve.  I disagree to his ratios though, much more salt was used than he says.  Was. I also note that he does NOT mention another butter preservation method, butter crocks.  I grew up crocking.  Today it is too much trouble.  I also wonder if one can easily find butter crocks commercially.  For those not aware a butter crock is a bowl that is packed with fresh butter, then inverted in an outer crock which was water filled.  This sealed out the air and thus preserved the butter.  There was, and the memory is fuzzy, crock butter sold which had the water flavored, imparting some flavor to the butter.  Crocked butter was for raw butter, a real bed for spoilage.  It is not what you buy now, and while not as well preserved as the modern stuffs, crocking did help preserve for a short time. 

They sell them at Bed Bath & Beyond, Amazon, and a lot of other places.  

I use unsalted.  I put a stick in a half pint canning jar, stick it in the micro wave on "defrost" for a few seconds, mash it down, put a canning lid on it and into my frig it goes.  Keeps it ready to go.  I just pull a jar out, put it on my "place" for butter and it really does last a long time.  I also do some long term butter storage...rebel canning...and have about 5 cases in my extended pantry.  I don't do Ghee...just don't like the texture.

We2, when it comes from the fridge, does it stay firm like stick butter or is it spreadable like tub butter? 

My MIL used to only use stick butter and it was so hard you couldn't butter bread with it. It would tear up the bread before it would spread. Worked well with hot toast though. 

You can quickly soften stick butter (we use only unsalted sticks) by filling a glass with hot water and letting it set a minute, then emptying it and setting it over the stick of butter for a minute or two.  I do this all the time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, The WE2's said:

Firm...but I keep all my other butter in the freezer so I need to keep a stick or two in the frig and one on my dishwasher top...it stays soft there.  

I made the mistake of trying to roll out sugar cookies on top of the dishwasher after it had ran once.

Didn't work out so well.

• Haha 3

Eewwww, TheCG.  I can imagine that mess! 

Our house is chill enough, I can't ever get honey to pour.  It crystallizes.   I try to keep it on the pellet stove, for petes sake!  We keep a stick of butter in cupboard on a butter tray.  Early morning, we have to sliver pieces.  Daytime it's just soft. 

MtRider  :pc_coffee: