MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

2020 Corona Virus

Trump should have clarified what he said in the speech about only being 20 infected people.  Trump tends to retract things. That man loves being in the spot light as well as I want to say lie or as they say twist the truth. I took his speech with a grain of salt. 

• Like 1

I saw a piece of an interview with a Dr. Redfield from the CDC. A woman was asking him some questions. It was from C-Span. 

Should people engage in regular hand washing and coughing into their sleeve? Absolutely.

Should people be stocking up on cleaning supplies? No

Should people be stocking up on prescription medicines that they have? Not at this time.

Should people be stocking up on food supplies? Not at this time.

Should you wear a mask of you're healthy? No.

And is there a website, and you can answer this later if you don't know if by heart? Absolutely, CDC.gov. We have all the information on that website...blah blah blah.  

A doctor from the CDC. I went to the website. It recommends being prepared with food water and medications for emergencies. It even suggests talking to your doctor to try to get some meds stocked away. Dr. Redfield is a dangerous man who probably has a very well stocked room(s) in his mansion in a gated community. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Kind o like a two edge sword. One person says don't prepare, just wash your hands and cover your mouth when you cough and the other side says to stock extra supplies. Makes you wonder who's telling the truth about this.  I've done all I can to be prepared for what we don't know will happen. I think I'm just tired today. It has been very cold.  I want to get out and do some yard work and now DH wants to go out and plant okra. It is still to cold to plant here yet. 

We are told to follow the rules for regular flu which most people already do. But the coronavirus is beyond the flu. And yes we can sit back and wait for the unknown and then there be a full blown outbreak here just like in China,  S. Korea and others that have full blown outbreaks. My understanding about China is those people have only one month salary to pay bills and buy food. Then it's gone. I am going to follow my gut feeling and be as prepared as I can be. We are now prepared and I am just going to sit back and watch. Yes I am still going out and no I am not wearing a mask. But that day will come if this is not kept under control. Right now it is to early to say what will happen. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, dogmom4 said:

:scratchhead: Why.......?

Trump?  Facts?  He changes them like most people change their socks.

Florida news:

State health officials said that labs in Tampa, Jacksonville and Miami can conduct the tests, which previously had to be sent to federal labs. The upshot is the results should be available 24 to 48 hours instead of three to five days, officials said.   As of Friday, Florida had no confirmed cases of the coronavirus, which began in China and is known as COVID-19. The state was monitoring 150 people for the deadly virus, which was a significant drop from the 700 who were at one time under investigation.

• Like 3

My granddaughter and her DH are half way to Washington State. About 4 or 5 more days driving.  Not sure which city they will be living in yet as they are in process of trying to buy a house there but will be somewhere near Naval base. He works in Naval hospital.

• Sad 3

Per a whistleblower complaint, the 14 people taken off the Princess who had tested positive were handled housed in a separate section of the plane, but were handled by Health and Human Services personnel with no protective gear and no special training.  Per the complaint, when some of those HHS people raised safety concerns, they were “admonished for ‘decreasing staff morale,’ accused of not being team players, and had their mental health and emotional stability questioned.”  They were sent home on commercial airlines as usual after this mission, by the way, without themselves being tested.

• Sad 4

Re the patient who died in Seattle:  Washington state public health officials said two additional confirmed cases of the virus are associated with a longterm care facility in the state. Officials said 27 patients and 25 staff members at the Life Care Center of Kirkland had reported symptoms similar to the coronavirus. The facility has 108 residents and 180 employees.  The two additional cases include a facility staff worker in their 40s, who was in satisfactory condition, and a facility resident in their 70s, who was in serious condition. The patient who died was identified by state and county health officials as a man in his 50s. The patient was being treated at EvergreenHealth Medical Center in Kirkland, Washington, with serious respiratory issues.

• Sad 4
3 hours ago, Littlesister said:

be prepared for what we don't know will happen

Isn't that what this group is all about?

I personally think our Prez is doing everything he can to not create a panic situation while still doing what he can to prevent it's spread.  If you study other contagious diseases...how about Aids...how people began to panic and others used that panic to pad their own pockets.  We all know we've got some knot heads that don't care about anything but themselves.  This is a time for all of us to think outside the box...of what could happen.  PREPARE is our motto!

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Dr. Redfield is a dangerous man who probably has a very well stocked room(s) in his mansion in a gated community. 

Got that right, Jeepers!  :mad:  Telling the :sheeple: that they should NOT buy food, meds, masks ..... 

Some folks are not up on things/less basic intelligence...living innocent/vulnerable.  Some will refuse to listen...and they need to take responsibility for their choice.  We're all on that line somewhere,  from INFORMED to NOT ABLE TO COMPREHEND A CHANGE FROM 'NORMAL'.   :( 

47 minutes ago, Ambergris said:

The facility has 108 residents and 180 employees.

ohhh.....I hadn't thot of residential care homes for elderly/disabled.  It could rip thru there like wildfire.  :yar:  A LOT of 'body fluids' etc. handled by staff...incontinence, etc.  Pray for staff and residents!!  Pray for residents when the staff begin staying away from work....or get ill themselves!  :pray: 

MtRider  :(  

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 4

3,526 confirmed South Korea

1,128 confirmed Italy

705 confirmed "Diamond Princess" cruise ship Others

593 confirmed Iran

241 confirmed Japan

100 confirmed France

79 confirmed Germany

(71 total US broken down below)

58 confirmed Spain

45 confirmed Kuwait

42 confirmed Thailand

41 confirmed Bahrain

44 confirmed Unassigned Location (From Diamond Princess) US (Nebraska)

25 confirmed Malaysia

(25 total Australia broken down below)

23 confirmed UK

21 confirmed Switzerland

21 confirmed United Arab Emirates

(20 total Canada broken down below)

16 confirmed Vietnam

15 confirmed Norway

13 confirmed Iraq

12 confirmed Sweden

10 confirmed Toronto, ON Canada

9 confirmed Queensland Australia

9 confirmed Austria

8 confirmed British Columbia Canada

7 confirmed Victoria Australia

7 confirmed Israel

6 confirmed Croatia

6 confirmed Netherlands

6 confirmed Oman

6 confirmed Seattle, WA US

4 confirmed New South Wales Australia

4 confirmed Greece

4 confirmed Lebanon

4 confirmed Mexico

4 confirmed Pakistan

3 confirmed South Australia Australia

3 confirmed Azerbaijan

3 confirmed Denmark

3 confirmed Finland

3 confirmed India

3 confirmed Philippines

3 confirmed Romania

3 confirmed Chicago, IL US

3 confirmed Santa Clara, CA US

2 confirmed Western Australia Australia

2 confirmed Brazil

2 confirmed Russia

2 confirmed Sacramento County, CA US

2 confirmed San Benito, CA US

2 confirmed San Diego County, CA US

1 confirmed Afghanistan

1 confirmed Algeria

1 confirmed Belarus

1 confirmed Belgium

1 confirmed Cambodia

1 confirmed Montreal, QC Canada

1 confirmed London, ON Canada

1 confirmed Ecuador

1 confirmed Egypt

1 confirmed Estonia

1 confirmed Georgia

1 confirmed Iceland

1 confirmed Ireland

1 confirmed Lithuania

1 confirmed Luxembourg

1 confirmed Monaco

1 confirmed  Nepal

1 confirmed New Zealand

1 confirmed Nigeria

1 confirmed North Macedonia

1 confirmed Qatar

1 confirmed San Marino

1 confirmed Sri Lanka

1 confirmed Boston, MA US

1 confirmed Humboldt County, CA US

1 confirmed Los Angeles, CA US

1 confirmed Madison, WI US

1 confirmed Orange, CA US

1 confirmed Portland, OR US

1 confirmed San Antonio, TX US

1 confirmed Snohomish County, WA US

1 confirmed Tempe, AZ US

43 deaths  Iran

29 deaths  Italy

17 deaths  South Korea

6 deaths "Diamond Princess" cruise ship Others

5 deaths  Japan

2 deaths  France

1 deaths  Philippines

1 deaths  Thailand

1 deaths  Seattle, WA US

• Thanks 1

The wife of the first US service member to test positive for the coronavirus has also been infected, US Forces Korea (USFK) said Saturday.

This marks the fourth USFK-related coronavirus infection following positive tests for a widowed dependent, a US soldier, and a USFK employee.

The wife of the infected soldier and their baby have been moved to an isolation unit at a US military hospital in Daegu, South Korea.

Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.

Health officials have been working to determine whether or not anyone else was exposed to the coronavirus after a 23-year-old US soldier stationed in South Korea tested positive earlier this week, when he became the first member of the US military to test positive for the virus.

• Sad 3
Guest Joyfilled1

Hmmmm.....I should too, Ambergris. 😬

About the masks....they said that the average person doesn't need them. And if we get them, then the nurses can't get them. 

Wait....Nurses need them dealing with a known patient, and they're saying that the virus is able to be transmitted without people knowing where it came from....but we don't need them?? Ummmm....

I could be off on the numbers, but I think the president said yesterday that we had 40 million masks. Is that right? And that they contracted with 3M to make 35 million a month. Except....how many people are there in the US? And....aren't they disposable??

I think the first press conference was worse than yesterday's. Yesterday they seemed more somber. It's unfortunate that they got the gender of the first death wrong. It's not Trump's fault, but it makes him look like he doesn't know what he's talking about. 

Be safe everyone. I've heard  that panic buying has begun in some places....this is not a drill, I repeat, this is not a drill. This is what we've been prepping for for years now.

I know some of you that have been around for a decade might remember me....I'm Happygirl. Never stopped prepping, but life got complicated and busy. I'm happy to be here with you all now, when the rubber is meeting the road. :bighug2:

I really worry about senior citizens residences...my moms place has been locked down because of the regular flu before...but it still spread because the workers were bringing meds and meals to the residents. I don’t know how that can helped. I’ve stocked her up with some easy to heat meals so she can say no to them bringing her food if she wants to...but I don’t have a fix for the giving her meds part. 

I remember you Happygirl! You’re a writer! I read Joys Journey and Joys Legacy a couple of times. Welcome back!

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

There was something on the news this morning about the nursing homes. I did not get the just of it but don't think anyone had the coronavirus, I think they might be getting ready to get things in place. At least I hope so.  I have a couple of friends in a nursing home. 

Yes Joy well back to the forum.  Though I may have already welcomed you back somewhere else. If so, welcome back a second time. 

Trump and our gov. are down playing this as if a panic starts, It will be worse than it is now. Though the numbers coming out and the fact they say we don't need mask. Sorry, I will use mask, gloves and anything else I need to keep us safe. 

Panic will wipe out the stores so fast it would make your head swim. I for one don't want to be out in that type of crowd. Went to Kroger today to pick up a couple of things that DH didn't tell me he needed. He went with me so he got his walking in today. Didn't see a lot of stocking up. Just a few people buying up water and some can goods. the shelves were fairly full but they were in there stocking faster than people could get stuff off the shelves. But again we as far as I know have no cases in VA yet. 

3,526 confirmed South Korea

1,128 confirmed Italy

978 confirmed Iran

241 confirmed Japan

117 confirmed Germany

100 confirmed France

76 confirmed Spain

(72 total US, broken down below, including 44 from Diamond Princess)

45 confirmed Kuwait

44 confirmed Unassigned Location (this means Omaha, Nebraska) (From Diamond Princess) US 

42 confirmed Thailand

41 confirmed Bahrain

35 confirmed UK

29 confirmed Malaysia

(25 total Australia, broken down below)

22 confirmed Switzerland

(20 total Canada, broken down below)

19 confirmed Iraq

16 confirmed Vietnam

15 confirmed Norway

12 confirmed Sweden

10 confirmed Toronto, ON Canada

10 confirmed Lebanon

10 confirmed Netherlands

9 confirmed Austria

7 confirmed Victoria Australia

7 confirmed Israel

6 confirmed Croatia

6 confirmed Oman

6 confirmed Seattle, WA US

4 confirmed New South Wales Australia

4 confirmed Greece

4 confirmed Mexico

4 confirmed Pakistan

3 confirmed Azerbaijan

3 confirmed Czech Republic

3 confirmed Denmark

3 confirmed Finland

3 confirmed Georgia

3 confirmed India

3 confirmed Philippines

3 confirmed Romania

2 confirmed Belgium

2 confirmed Brazil

2 confirmed Russia

1 confirmed Afghanistan

1 confirmed Algeria

1 confirmed Armenia

1 confirmed Belarus

1 confirmed Cambodia

1 confirmed Dominican Republic

1 confirmed Ecuador

1 confirmed Egypt

1 confirmed Estonia

1 confirmed Iceland

1 confirmed Ireland

1 confirmed Lithuania

1 confirmed Luxembourg

1 confirmed Monaco

1 confirmed Nepal

1 confirmed New Zealand

1 confirmed Nigeria

1 confirmed North Macedonia

1 confirmed Qatar

1 confirmed San Marino

1 confirmed Sri Lanka

1 confirmed Los Angeles, CA US

1 confirmed Providence, RI US

1 confirmed Snohomish County, WA US

1 confirmed Tempe, AZ US

More deaths have been reported in Iran, and a death has been reported in Thailand.

March 1, 2020, 3 p.m. Eastern update.

Edited by Ambergris
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not even an hour and a quarter later, 76 US 

44 confirmed Unassigned Location (From Diamond Princess) US

9 confirmed Seattle, WA US

2 confirmed Snohomish County, WA US

1 confirmed Tempe, AZ US

By the way, of these 7 are considered to have recovered:

2 recovered Chicago, IL US

1 recovered Boston, MA US

1 recovered San Diego County, CA US

1 recovered Santa Clara, CA US

1 recovered Seattle, WA US

1 recovered Tempe, AZ US

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Guest Joyfilled1 said:

.I'm Happygirl. Never stopped prepping, but life got complicated and busy. I'm happy to be here with you all now, when the rubber is meeting the road

:wave:   Hiya Happygirl.  Yes, I remember you....long ago.  Any new stories written? 

50 minutes ago, Ambergris said:

Not even an hour and a quarter later, 76 US 

:puzzledsmile:  .....US totals invariably will rise.  Reports not staying current with reality, likely.  Still keeping in mind that most recover....  :pray: 

We're pretty much set EXCEPT we didn't get DH's meds yesterday as planned.  Annoying, but they are on the shelf with his name on them already.  On Wed we plan get them.  AND DH might also get to hospital for usual blood draw regarding the aforementioned meds.....   And then later this month, a doc visit for 'scripts for continuing the aforementioned meds.  By mid March...those things will have been accomplished as well as the last truly necessary propane tank fill [this season]   AND likely, a few more Fresh Food grocery runs will have happened.  In theory.  :unsure:   

So by my calculations, we can have this :runcirclsmiley2:crisis hit our kinda remote mountain area about mid-March........as long as the electric holds out  [furnace]  for at least another 2 months after that.  :whistling:  

;)   Sometimes I just like to shuffle all my ducks into the row!!!!!!!   :duck1::duck1:  :duck1:  

MtRider    :behindsofa: 

• Like 4

We are all set. Not going out anywhere now except church, Doctor appts. and to cook collards at market. Which we will be doing in the morning. DH not feeling well tonight. He gets cold easy and thought he was running a fever but when I checked it, he's fine. He has low blood count that explains the getting cold easy. Not sure what they will be doing about that yet. He has gone to bed already.  We will now be eating from freezers and pantry.  The only good thing coming out of this coronavirus mess is that we will be able to get all our food preps down and then when this is over, I can restock with all fresh for the next crisis that may or may not happen. With DH's issues we don't really go anywhere much anymore. So it would not be any different for us if we did have to stay home. Got lots of stuff to do around here to keep me busy for a long time. 

• Like 3

We're okay if we need to shelter in place...and we'd do that at the homestead.  That's why we're in a bigger rush on the kitchen area.  The gas stove won't be hooked up for a bit (we'll be moving the electric one out and selling it...so he cut and pulled the 220 back down into the basement area for the time being) so he'll put me a piece of plywood over the top of the burners and I'll use my induction cooker, my microwave/induction oven, and any other gadgets I might want to cook with on top of that.  I also have my solar oven that I can cook on outside as well as a butane burner, a hot plate and a Coleman 2-burner with an oven that sits on top (I'd use that outside).  So no problem.  

Sheltering in place at the homestead and he can go back and forth to his garage for tools etc., and we'll be where our pantry and freezers are at.  We'll just have to re-arrange and eliminate some things he's got in the bedroom so we can either move our bed or pull the bed from our travel trailer.  We don't have any close neighbors there so not worried there.  If it were to get really bad before it gets better, we'll use vinyl gloves to handle our mail and wave anybody away that might want to stop and talk if we're outside.  We've already placed a "gate" across the front of the wrap around front part of the porch and hung a sign that says "Private Property No Trespassing" on the outside of the gate.  No need for anybody to come knocking on the front door if we're really sheltering in place.  Usually we just leave the gate open...but it's there. 

Personally...we're of the opinion that this is a precurser to digital banking...and we're much more concerned about that...just sayin.

• Like 3

4,212 confirmed South Korea

1,694 confirmed Italy

978 confirmed Iran

256 confirmed Japan

130 confirmed France

130 confirmed Germany

87 total US, counting 44 Diamond Princess, as broken down below

84 confirmed Spain

47 confirmed Bahrain

45 confirmed Kuwait

44 confirmed Unassigned Location (Omaha) (From Diamond Princess) US

42 confirmed Thailand

36 confirmed UK

29 total Australia, as broken down below

29 confirmed Malaysia

27 confirmed Switzerland

24 total Canada, as broken down below

19 confirmed Iraq

19 confirmed Norway

16 confirmed Vietnam

14 confirmed Austria

14 confirmed Toronto, ON Canada

14 confirmed Sweden

13 confirmed Seattle, WA US

10 confirmed Israel

10 confirmed Lebanon

10 confirmed Netherlands

9 confirmed Victoria Australia

8 confirmed San Marino

7 confirmed Croatia

7 confirmed Greece

6 confirmed New South Wales Australia

6 confirmed Ecuador

6 confirmed Finland

6 confirmed Oman

6 confirmed Santa Clara, CA US

5 confirmed Mexico

4 confirmed Denmark

4 confirmed Pakistan

3 confirmed Algeria

3 confirmed Azerbaijan

3 confirmed Czech Republic

3 confirmed Georgia

3 confirmed Iceland

3 confirmed India

3 confirmed Philippines

3 confirmed Qatar

3 confirmed Romania

3 confirmed Snohomish County, WA US

2 confirmed Belgium

2 confirmed Brazil

2 confirmed Egypt

2 confirmed Russia

1 confirmed Afghanistan

1 confirmed Armenia

1 confirmed Belarus

1 confirmed Cambodia

1 confirmed Dominican Republic

1 confirmed Estonia

1 confirmed Ireland

1 confirmed Lithuania

1 confirmed Luxembourg

1 confirmed Monaco

1 confirmed Nepal

1 confirmed New Zealand

1 confirmed  Nigeria

1 confirmed  North Macedonia

1 confirmed  Sri Lanka

1 confirmed Hillsborough, FL US

1 confirmed Manatee, FL US

1 confirmed New York City, NY US

1 confirmed Tempe, AZ US

March 1, 10:15 p.m. Eastern update

• Like 1

March 2, 5:23 a.m. update has 86 total US, one less than last night.  Seattle appears to have been broken down into King County and Snohomisn County.  The two people have died in King County Washington.  The 86 are:

44 confirmed Unassigned Location (From Diamond Princess) US  (We know this is or was Omaha.)

10 confirmed King County WA US

6 confirmed Santa Clara, CA US

3 confirmed Snohomish County, WA US

2 confirmed Portland, OR US

2 confirmed Providence, RI US

1 confirmed Hillsborough, FL US