MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
mommato3boys

Make do or do without....

So what are some of your plans to make do or do with...….(you fill in the blank) 

Like I stated on another thread I turn sheets in to kitchen towels, towels into wash clothes. Old t-shirts make good diapers. What are some other ideas do you have for making do when there is no $$ for new stuff?

I have a great deal of material from when one of the only two sewing places went out of business. Got loads of material for 1.00 or less. So got it in plastic tubs in the shed.  I have made several baby blankets so far. 

I have made washcloths out of old towels and have one in the making to make some kitchen towels with. Might be able to get 3 towels out of it.  Been saving the old jeans to make a jean quilt. Daughter wants to help with that one. She has been saving the old jeans my GS outgrew or ragged out.  She has cut off the legs of some for shorts for him and saved the legs of them.  Haven't made kitchen towels from sheets as to me they are not very absorbent. But have used them to make window curtains with. Right now that is about all I can think of. But will be thinking about other things I have floating around to make things with.  I have some metal coffee cans to make a rocket stove with. Have the instructions but haven't gotten around to making one yet. 

Good post Mommato 3 boys.  Gives me some things to think about. 

• Like 1

Leftovers don't have to be leftovers, they can be ingredients for a new meal.  When in a bind, soup can be made from almost anything.

If clothing is ripped in a place where a repair would be too obvious, I think could a decorative patch work on this spot?

I have a lot of yarn.  a. lot.   I crochet my own kitchen washcloths.  

I have several bins of fabric and accoutrements.  School costumes, night clothes, day skirts, some dresses, lots of baby clothes and hats.

Sheets = fabric for kids skirts or dress up clothes--they love twirly skirts or night gowns.  

Old jeans & a heavy table cloth, more jeans, or some heavy fabric from wherever = cathedral window quilt.  No batting required, and it is self backing.  

Plastic grocery bags = trash bags.  For several broke years, I even used them as my main kitchen trash bags.  

Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.  Before I toss it in the recycle bin, I ask myself if the container could hold something else.

You can spray paint anything: ANYTHING.

Fancy planner stickers or pages can be printed off and hand cut at home.  Elmer's glue sticks will stick for at least a decade.

Paper that was printed on one side and finished--cut in half, turn over and the blank side is now grocery list etc.

• Like 1

This is a tough one for me. I'm not sure. I usually wear stuff out. 

I have a button jar with lots of matched buttons. If I throw a worn/soiled garment away I remove the buttons. I have tons of fabric for quilting. I could make quilts, baby blankets, throws, lap quilts etc. Those I could sell. Also, I could make totes to sell. More like purses than totes. 

I've made lots of curtains from sheets. They turn out very nice and pretty. I plan to make my own in Indiana too. I've made the kind that look pleated for a patio door. They make a fabric that has pockets in it. You buy it by the yard. About 6 inches or so wide. You sew to the top of a sheet or any material, and slip hooks in the pockets. They made the pleats. You could space them however you wanted between the pockets. I did a lousy job explaining that. Look up 'curtain pleating tape' if interested. I can sew straight lines but not so great with clothes. I did make some nice night gowns. Real plain, nothing fancy. Sleeveless. I bought the material but sheets would have worked too. Hope I still have the pattern. 

I have some flannel sheets that I hung on to. I don't like them because my flannel gowns stick to them and they were hot. They would make a nice masculine comforter. Cut pieces of different flannel fabric and sew them up. Tye the comforter with embroidery thread or whatever you have instead of quilting. Fast and easy. 

I'm saving some of my old tee shirts for g-son to use while doing messy crafts etc. They will be big on him but that's good. He can slip them over his clothes. I'm thinking free smock. 

I donated most of my yarn. I saw a really neat type of 'loop' yarn on Youtube. You can make blankets or throws really fast with it and you use your fingers instead of a crochet hook or knitting needles. I can knit and crochet but I want to try that. I need some yarn to knit some slippers like we used to in the 1960's. 

All of this has reminded me that I need to find, make or buy some patterns to have handy. 

I have a spinning wheel but I never could figure out how to use it. It's one of the small ones and not the walking type with the big wheel. I have some carded llama or alpaca wool. I have a drop spindle that...just dropped. 

I really need to learn how to transfer a YouTube video into a disc. I assume that is something one could do? So many how-to videos that could be useful. 

I still use Wal-Mart bags in all of my trash cans. I double them because they get holes in the bottoms easily. Sometimes I pitch them out like that and sometimes I stick around three of them (full) in a regular trash bag and pitch that. 

Maybe I don't understand the question. 

• Like 1

Good Tshirt from Goodwill.......wear into town only.  [yes, I start used..]

When notably older, it becomes around house/farm Tshirt

When holes form, becomes a nite Tshirt

When it gets so ragged I'm gonna strangle myself in my sleep, it becomes cleaning rag OR dog tug&rip toy, OR cut up for bandages.  Usually its the neckline binding that comes loose and that has to be removed for bandages anyway.  The binding saved to use to tie things like bandages....will form a very good knot.  

Grocery-type bags without holes become kitchen trash bags.  I peer into each one.

Grocery-type bags with holes become trash bags in bathroom. 

The rest of them are in a cloth tube holder on the wall for use with anything else that might need a bag.

Soap bar bits are collected and put into a net bag and hangs by sink in kitchen.  No space for a full soap bar holder.  [and squirting soap dispensers don't work well in arid climate.  Constantly drying up at opening and then SQUIRTING in any direction with velocity!

Another use for the soap bar bits in net bag - to scrub grease or other stains out of laundry before throwing into the wash.  This works with handmade soap...dunno about other.

Of course everyone knows I use Ocean Spray squared juice bottles to store EVERYTHING!  If the outside is clean...mice don't bother stuff in them. 

I make funnels of all sizes by cutting off the tops of liter soda bottle, a single serving water bottle, etc.  Even my Ocean Spray juice bottle.   Comes in handle when I transfer things like beans or flour or sugar or pasta....into other repurposed containers....keeping away from mice.

I use Christmas pot holders to stick between glass mixing bowls to cushion them.  Crash 'n Clank hurts my nervous system and ....who needs this many potholders? 

Dunno....have done this all my life from farm to city to island to rural again.  Can't think of what's plain normal.  :shrug:

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 2

I thought of some other things that I didn't think about earlier.  Lint from dryer to make fire cloth.  I have some old olive oil that I saved to make some olive oil lamps. I have a Thera bath Pro paraffin Bath for my hands. So I have several bags of paraffin. When I have to change the paraffin out, I save it to make candles.  You can also dip small pieces of material in the wax to make fire cloth. I also save newspaper to make fire bricks for fireplace and fire pit. Makes for great fire starters. 

• Like 2

Have had the same foaming dish detergent container for over a year now.  I just refill it with 1/5 dish soap and the rest water and shake.

Have enough eBay clothes to make "personal cloth" for the rest of our lives.  I, also, start clothes from used @Mt_Rider!

I need to pull out my crochet book and actually learn how to do it.  I always seem to find other projects because I get frustrated.

This is one I do personally.  I buy a decent disposable razor--Venus or something like that.  As long as I rinse it well and thoroughly dry it after each use, I can use one up to a year or longer.  The key is rinsing and drying each time.  I have been pitching after a year even though they still work.  That is not for everyone, I'm sure, but works for me.

I rinse and re-use baggies if they had fruit or veggies.  Meat and dairy, I tend to pitch.

I do re-use canning lids on the dog food with good results, knowing I will put it in the fridge and use if not sealed.

I'm sure I do others, but can't think of them now.

• Like 2

Miki, there are some really good YouTube videos out there with crochet instructions. Some focus the camera close up on the hands and go slowly so you can follow along easily. 

• Thanks 1

So crochet & knit.  The KEY is if you know how to do one...which ever other one you are learning---use the other hand as your dominant hand.  seriously.  this is where people have problems.  If you are a right handed knitter, you will be a left handed crocheter and vice versa.  I've taught a lot of people and the way you hold the yarn is exactly opposite in both so whichever you learned first...then you will be learning the other with your non-dominant hand.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Miki, there are some really good YouTube videos out there with crochet instructions. Some focus the camera close up on the hands and go slowly so you can follow along easily. 

That could be a big help!  I have tried to learn with books but always have trouble turning corners.  Videos might be easier!  Tried to find my bag of crochet hooks and yarn, but fear I may have given it away.

I did find lots of photos to go through from when I had my photography business, so that will be fun!

On 2/9/2020 at 7:21 PM, Mt_Rider said:

bags without holes

I keep a small one in a basket under my kitchen sink.  If it has a small hole, I tie a knot in it!  Same for the small one in the bathroom! It takes us a long time to fill up a large kitchen trash can, and about 2 weeks to fill the big outside dumpster.  We re-cycle and have two dumpsters.  My neighbors probably get tired of hearing the "plunk" of a couple of cans and the "thunk" of a couple of WM (or our favorite Menards bags) bags! But it sure saves on the 13 gallon bags! :cele::laughkick:

• Like 1

Soap bar bits are collected

Same here...but for different uses.  They make good liquid soaps when shredded down and made like laundry detergent. 

scrub grease or other stains out

I keep bars of lye soap that I buy from the Amish and then use my small wash board to give them a scrub.  Sometimes ya just gotta do it...and you ladies know exactly what I mean! White socks really take a beating as well as our night shirts.  During the summer I wear cammisole's at night so no problemo.

Edited by The WE2's

On 2/9/2020 at 7:55 PM, Littlesister said:

fire starters

I save the cardboard egg cartons, soak some cotton balls in petroleum jelly, put them in the egg carton dividers, and then I melt used candles and pour the was over them.  We've used them and they really work great.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, snapshotmiki said:

crochet

One of my favorite hobbies.  I love to make hand warmers and booties for winter time, and for gifts.  I also enjoy making pot holders, wash cloths and afghan pieces to put together.  My other two hobbies are decoupage and acrylic painting.

• Like 1

e-use baggies

I keep my gallon size and line my grease can (sit's on the back of my stove) and that's where I put my cooled off greasy paper towels that I wipe stove down with.  Zip...and into the trash it goes.

• Like 1

I've been trying to FIND my small scrub board.  DH gets grease on work shirts.  But.... :sigh:   ....I think I know which box...and it's now too buried to reach. 

We also have uses for the plastic bags the pellets [for heating stove] come in.  We've got LOTS of them saved.   Turned quickly inside out [cuz of sawdust] they'd be a strong, waterproof sack for anything.  I wash out some of them ahead of time. 

Got egg cartons too, WE2.  Styrofoam ones are for starting small seeds.  Poke holes with BBQ fork.  Use lid under that to drain water.  Yogurt cups with holes drilled [yes, electric drill goes thru a bunch at a time] are the next step.  Then larger yogurt or cottage cheese containers...holes drilled.  That's my garden starting under shop lights.  Use an old meat grinder to pulverize industrial vermiculite for the tiny starts. 

I have everything to make the fire starters like WE2 said.  Not made tho.  Saved about 10 Kleenex boxes of dryer lint thru the years.

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 1

Panty liners.

I have had one stuck to my bathroom window blind for about five years. There is a small tear in it and one night I noticed it. I stuck a panty liner over it for a quick fix and it's still there. I live alone. No one (me) cares that there is a panty liner staring at them while seated on the throne. 

I also used them to fix my TV remote. I kept hitting buttons that messed the whole works up. Then I couldn't figure out how to get the TV back on. I wrapped the thing up in panty liners and taped them on. Then cut out a little section that showed only the off/on button. Viola! Idiot proof remote. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I cut up hubby's old t-shirts and use them as scrubby's when I re-season my cast iron pans.  When done, I soak them in dish soap, rinse and into the laundry they go with regular bath linens.  They also make decent "personal" cloths, but I've set aside quite a few of these in nice soft flannel!  I buy up the remnant's of flannel at WM when I'm there.  Don't care what design is on them...the bottom doesn't care if it's polka dot, cows or plaid! :)

We also have two diaper genies set back for just this cause.

I love micro-fibers.  I use them for so many things.  Went through an RV class 101 and they showed us how we could clean the inside and the outside of an RV with nothing but micro-fibers, vinegar, bleach, water and some essential oils when wanted.

I also learned how to cut plastic grocery bags in a spiral, tie the ends together,  and crochet kitchen scrubby's.  I pull fishing line through with the "thread" and they are really quite sturdy.

I make up our own de-icer using 91% alcohol, a dab of dish soap and water.

I kill weeds and grass using Vinegar, laundry soap and water.

I kill wasps using Canola oil, vinegar and water.

I put up small paper sacks stuffed with plastic grocery bags and hang them around during summer to repel carpenter bees.  They think it's a hornet nest and don't feel safe.

I learned to cut my own hair as well as hubby's.

We trim Abby'girls nails ourselves.

Buying bulk, I re-use shaker bottles for my spices and herbs.

I make my own dessicant packages.

I mix up our own tooth whitening powder...using charcoal, bentonite clay, baking soda and peppermint essential oil.

I mix up our own "thrush" liquid when we come in contact with something that irritates our mouth...clove essential oil and liquid coconut oil.

I make our own Elderberry syrup.

I crochet squares to put on my swifter mop head.

I'm sure there's a lot of things we all do to save so we don't have to do without!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, The WE2's said:

I kill wasps using Canola oil, vinegar and water

As a spray or in a container?

As a spray

In a spray bottle...fill sprayer about 3/4 full of hot water, add 1/2 cup Canola oil, and add about a teaspoon of liquid dish soap...Dawn works best because it liquifies the oil so it mixes with the water and soap. Knocks them critters for a loop, and they just lay there and wiggle their legs for a bit.

• Like 1

old t shirts cut into nice strips for rag crochet...makes wonderful soft, padded rugs, chair mats, and the like.  My mother used to cut plastic bags into strips (plarn they call it now) and crochet drawer liners.  I always save the mesh from hams/turkey/onions and make nearly indestructible scrubbies - the menfolk tell me they work especially well to get bugs off windshields and chrome.  clothing that is too worn to cut into cleaning rags make good padding for hot pads & quilts, though a little heavy as a coverlet.  Just remove all hard stuff (zippers, buttons, hooks) pile evenly on an old sheet the size of the quilt you want.  Cover with another sheet, then sew around the edges.  Follow up by tufting (quickest) to hold the 'filling' more or less in place.  One of our childhood "sick" quilts (you only got to wrap up in it if you were sick) was such a "comforter" made by grandma.  the firm fabric of denim makes excellent hard cover book covers, as do paper sacks (I ALWAYS ask for paper whenever I can....the brown paper is just too handy for recycling).  Large clothing cut into smaller clothes....mens dress jackets cut into a womans version....denim mitten covers to go over knitted mittens to keep them from wearing out so fast (even the wool was unraveled and re-used!)  Saved twing (used to be sisal, now plastic) saved for tying things and for making net bags - a knotted net is quick & easy to do and very useful.  And did yu know you can iron plastic bags together to make a thicker waterproof "fabric"?  (My doggies has a raincoat...)  I love getting all my craft materials for the trouble of re-cycling!  Sisal string soaked in melted candle stubs for fire tinder (unravel a wax impregnated bit cut off, light for starting fires.  

Don even talk about recycling food....leftovers are a no-brainer; celery stumps are re-grown to plant out for garden greens as are green onion root ends; peels & seeds make pectin for jelly making;  anything not salvageable as soup stock/regrowth/ is ground up for the compost heap pail.  I abhor waste.  Old towels?  cut bath size into hand size, or washclothes (two thin ones sewn together make a nice thick luxurious cloth), or use to line pot holders.  That is just what comes to mind off the top of my head.  Soda cans & plastic milk jugs make critical parts for self-watering planters  (See Gardening with Leon on U-Tube....they are wonderful!)

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 2

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.