MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Let's talk bread...

So hubby and I are not much of bread eaters, so a loaf of bread will ruin before we eat it. This last year I moved away from traditional loaf bread and have gone to making Native American fry bread, tortillas, and I am trying to get the hand of pita bread. We do still eat biscuits and cornbread but I can make  really small batches of these types of bread. I am noticing that I am not using as much yeast with this other types of bread. 

Do have bread recipes that you could share that does not call for yeast and can be made in small batches?

I used to use the sour dough starters. Been thinking about starting one up again. haven't made any in a while other than corn bread and biscuits.  Thinking about starting to make it again but hubby eats to much of it and he can't do that with diabetics.  I also am a diabetic and have to watch it. We don't usually eat bread with meals and cornbread is only when we have fish. Biscuits with a good protein breakfast only. 

I will check my recipes to see if I have any non yeast ones.  I think I do but can't remember for sure. 

And yes you can store yeast in freezer. I have several jars of it in the big freezer. 

Here is the recipe for no yeast bread.

Irish Soda Bread:  Makes one loaf.

2 1/2 unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for the pan and top of the loaf

3 tablespoons sugar

1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon fine sea salt

3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into half-inch pieces

1/2 cup dried currants (optional)

1 teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk as needed

Position a rack in center of the oven and preheat to 400* Dust the bottom of an 8-inch round cake pan with flour. (I use a loaf pan) 

Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in large bowl. 

Add the butter and stir to coat with the flour mixture.  Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly, with some pea-size pieces of butter. stir in the currants and caraway seeds (if you decide to use them) Stir in enough of the buttermilk to make a moist soft dough.  Knead in the bowl just a few times to be sure the dough comes together.  This is not a smooth dough. 

Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and shape into a ball, Sprinkle the top with at least 1 tablespoon flour to give the loaf a rustic look. Transfer to the prepared pan.  Using a sharp knife, cut a shallow 4 inch wide X in top of dough. The X will open during baking and help the loaf bake more evenly. 

Bake until the top is deep golden brown and the bread sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom,  35 to 40 minutes.

Remove from the pan. Let cool on a wire cooling rack for 5 to 10 minutes, and serve warm.  The bread is best the day it is made.

This was the only recipe I could find in my stash of recipes that does not need yeast. Got this out of the VA Pilot newspaper back in 2014.