MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

2020 Flu Care Data

If you have the type with the metal band over the nose...and bend that piece to fit, that should take care of ...steam rising from breath.  If not....tighten the ear loops?  Make sure the bottom is seated well under the chin?   Dunno.  Every face is different.  I used to sell sunglasses on Maui long ago.  Lot of different ethnic folks and the fit of glasses is way different sometimes due to differences in facial bones, etc.  Would be same for masks, I'd imagine.

Most pics of folks wearing the surgical masks show great gaps out the right and left sides.  Not good for wearer or others.  

BTW  ...... if anyone wears an N95 with an exhalation valve like I do.......REMEMBER that it does not protect others [family, etc] from YOUR exhalations...cuz of the valve.

I do have to trim just a tiny bit of the edge-seam across the nose/cheek of the N95.  Does not fit my face otherwise.  Can't trim much or the layers will not be bonded together.  Good reminder:  Work with your masks to try to solve, if you can,  the issues you might find...before we need to start wearing them.

MtRider  ....fogged glasses would be very annoying!!!  :(  

21 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

fogged glasses would be very annoying

He's a mouth breather...that's the issue.  Had too many broken noses during his life...and not from fighting etc.  Broker first as a baby when racing his walker, 2nd time on a trampoline and 3rd time when they did surgery to try and correct his nasal passages.  He just can't breath through his nose.

WE2, I am too.  Major sinus trouble.  And I breathe shallow. 

Do you have any with an exhalation valve?  I can't use one without it.  Except the surgical ones...cuz my air blows out the sides.  Surgical masks of dubious value for the wearer...just catches sneeze/cough to protect others.  I still think a thick folded bandana would protect others  better than the surgical mask...unless you have your hands busy. 

But to protect ME, I use N95 with exhalation valve.  ......which then does NOT protect others from my exhalations, by the way.  They are more expensive too but hey, I can breath. 

MtRider  :shrug: 

• Like 1

Can't find sanitizer gel .....and you really want it for when you can't use the better option of SOAP AND WATER......

https://www.foxnews.com/health/help-prevent-coronavirus-with-hand-sanitizer-how-to-make-your-own

Anne Marie Helmenstine, who holds a Ph.D. in biomedical sciences, recently shared how to make homemade hand sanitizer.

The ingredients:

• 2/3 cup 99% rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) or ethanol

• 1/3 cup aloe vera gel

• 8-10 drops essential oil, optional (such as lavender, vanilla, peppermint, grapefruit)

• Bowl and spoon

• Funnel

• Recycled liquid soap or hand sanitizer bottle

Directions: 

Mix the ingredients in a bowl and stir with a spoon. Use the funnel to pour the liquid into the empty bottle.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Basically:

1/3  aloe vera gel

2/3  99% isopropyl alcohol [rubbing alcohol]

MtRider  :dishes:   :bathbaby:    ....or these too...

• Like 1

OH MY!   I didn't think DH and I cleared out the stores THAT MUCH......   :shopping:    :shopping:       :lol:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/04/coronavirus-where-shoppers-are-stockpiling-the-most.html

Says that the shelves are bare in the obvious states of Washington and California....cuz they have the most COVID-19 cases right now......and then there is COLORADO!   :happy0203:    Tough mountain folks that are gonna go off and   :behindsofa:    until this thing has passed over.  

MtRider  :hidingsmile:   Shhhhh, don't tell tho.... 

• Like 1

OK....as always.....no one at MrsS is telling anyone else how to make medical choices.  Do your own research!  Check with your own medical professional!  All that common sense/legal type preface..... 

I began reading this Naturopathic doctor's advice and as far as I read....and to my knowledge, a lot of it seemed like it might be helpful.  BUT....I'm not qualified to judge on several of the things she's advocating.  :shrug:  Might give some good ideas for research?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-

http://peoplesrx.com/coronavirus-tips-you-can-trust/  

Becky Andrews, ND*, L.Ac. received her Doctorate of Naturopathic Medicine and Masters in Acupuncture at Bastyr University. She specializes in complex, chronic and “difficult” cases, especially relating to digestive health, fatigue, mood and detoxification. She works extensively with MTHFr and genetic challenges. In addition to seeing patients in Austin, she is faculty at AOMA School of Integrative Medicine. *Naturopathic Doctor

[snip]

THE DON’Ts

Don’t panic.
Cortisol and other stress hormones are some of the most powerful immune suppressors. Currently, the statistics on coronavirus are less concerning than an average flu year.

• A smaller percentage of people are getting sick from coronavirus than with the flu.

• A smaller percentage of people who get sick are seriously ill than with the flu.

• Of the people who get sick, the percent of fatalities has varied from 0.7% in some areas to as high as 6% in areas of the first outbreak (where no precautions were yet available).

• At this time most of the outbreaks have centered around healthcare facilities where large numbers of immune-challenged people were living in close quarters.

• With the vigorous precautions being taken globally (quarantines, travel limitations, etc.), it is likely that the virus will not spread as aggressively as the flu virus (since we don’t quarantine flu victims every year).

• Try not to see the quarantines and public announcements as a sign that this virus is dire, but that positive global action is being taken to slow the spread of a new virus as we learn about it.

Don’t freak out if you can’t get surgical masks or hand sanitizer.
If you are not in direct contact with people who are sick (like working in a hospital or with quarantined people), and if you are not immune compromised, then you don’t really need a mask at this time. Facilities that make them are upping production. More are coming. Masks are MORE to stop you from spreading what you have, rather than for protecting you from others.

Don’t adopt a “save yourself” attitude.
Hoarding protective equipment, supplements, and supplies at the expense of others will only increase the spread of the virus, and thus your own risk. Communicable diseases are best addressed with coordinated community action.

Don’t megadose on Vitamin D, Vitamin A, turmeric, CBD, or fish oil.
While having adequate amounts of these is important in immune function, long-term high dosing can actually shift the immune system away from fighting viruses.

Don’t take high doses of antiviral herbs before early signs of sickness.
Taking these too early can shift the balance of the immune system, and lessen the “immune surge” that you want when you are first exposed to a virus.

Don’t eat a lot of sugar, drink a lot of coffee or alcohol, or smoke (anything).

Don’t take any unnecessary steroid medications (minimize over-the-counter steroid creams or nasal sprays if possible). If you are on a prescription steroid for a serious illness do NOT stop taking it, but do consider discussing the risk/benefit with your doctor.

THE DOs (prevention)

Follow common sense precautions you would follow during any cold and flu season. This virus works the same way.

• Get plenty of rest.

• Get outside in the sun and move/exercise.

• Cough and sneeze into your bent elbow (not hands), and ask others to do the same.

• Wash your hands often and avoid touching your mouth, nose, and eyes after touching public items such as doors, carts, tables, chairs, etc.

• Use hand sanitizer (essential oil, silver, or alcohol based will all help).

Keep your stress levels low (exercise, dance, socialize, meditate, etc.).

Laugh as much as possible! Laughter increases white blood cell count and immune function.

Look out for your neighbors, friends, and your community. Share what supplies you have with others who might be at a higher risk of exposure or falling ill.

Eat plenty of healthy foods, including organic greens from the broccoli family (broccoli, kale, collards, Brussels sprouts, and mustard greens), as well as mushrooms.

• Greens like these provide folate which supports many regulatory systems in the body, including production of immune cells.

• These foods also contain sulforaphane which is crucial to optimized immune function.

• All mushrooms are immune enhancing, but shiitakes are particularly potent and delicious!

• Enhance your greens and mushrooms with ginger and garlic.

Make sure your Vitamin D levels are normal (between 60-100).

Consider investing in a high-quality air filter.

• IQ Air filters were used in Asia to slow down and help control the spread of SARS.

• More info from me on air filters and air quality here.  

THE DOs (if exposed or feeling ill)

• Go into a voluntary home quarantine, alert your employers, work from home if possible.

• Alert all people you’d recently been around who you might have exposed.

• Call your doctor’s office for advice on getting tested and which healthcare facilities are the best to go to should you become gravely ill.

• Have groceries, food, and medicines delivered to your home. Avoid physical contact with delivery personnel to minimize their exposure.  

Supplement Support

Prevention basics

• Vitamin C (1000-5000mg per day)

• Zinc (15-30mg per day)

• Probiotics

Leveled-up prevention

• Mushroom extracts

• Mycommunity

• Turkey Tail

• Shiitake

• Astragalus

• Jade Windscreen

• ImmunoPRP or other colostrum products

• Elderberry syrup (1-3 teaspoons daily)

• Elderberry zinc lozenges

• Beta Glucans

• Whole Body Defense

• Immune Balancing Complex

• Kick Ass Immune

• Th1 Support + Innate Immune (1 capsule of each per day)

Post exposure
Early symptoms of coronavirus are fever, fatigue, aches, and dry cough. If you have a sore throat and/or a runny nose, it is probably a regular cold. Deploy these anti-viral herbs and high-dose nutrients:

• Vitamin C: 1000mg every few hours until loose stools, then stop

• Vitamin A: 50-100,000 IU per day for 4 days (not safe during pregnancy)

• Vitamin D: 30-50,000 IU per day for 4 days

• NAC: 600mg, 2 times a day (especially if you are experiencing a lot of mucus)

• Peoples Rx Immune Support Packs: 1 pack, 2-4 times a day

• Antiviral combination products like Viracid, Complivir, Kick Ass Immune, Innate Immune plus Th1 Support,Gan Mao Ling

• Echinacea Goldenseal Propolis Throat Spray

• Lactoferrin

• Serious Cough

• Pulmonary Factors

• Ivy Calm

• V Clear

• UMKA

• Th1 Support + Innate Immune (2 capsules, 2 times a day for 5 days)

• Immuno-Shield

If you have to travel by plane

• When masks are available again, consider wearing one. Remember these are more for protecting others from anything you might have rather than for protecting you, though they do help protect you some.

• Use hand sanitizer.

• Consider applying a thin layer of herbal salve in your nose. This can be nearly anything, even lip balm will do in a pinch. The salve offers an additional physical barrier to infection. Any herbs or essential oils would also help.

• Use AirBorne (fizzy tabs or lozenges) and/or elderberry zinc lozenges.

• Pick 1-3 of the leveled-up prevention items listed above.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If this is the stuff that will kill the virus then I am all set.  I have both the Oxivir wipes and cleaner as well as all the Lysol products they list. Even the toilet bowl cleaner which I use anyway. Most of the hand gel I have is Triad antiseptic hand gel. with 70 % alcohol. It meets osha requirements. It is very much like the purell. Not going back out to any store unless it's to pick up an RX as that is in a grocery store. But not going through the store. We are done preparing and can now sit back and relax. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Littlesister said:

to pick up an RX

New "doc" called in new scripts for both of us...that will add more to our stock...especially myself.  I don't hardly have any thyroid stuff set back.  Looking for a call from WM confirming that they're filled and ready to be picked up. Then it's pretty much "shelter in place" for awhile...except hubby having to work for customers or pick up goods to work on our homestead.

• Like 2

WE2 we buy our RX's 3 months at a time. We are still good for another 2 1/2 months. Hoping this will have died down before I have to go back to pick any more up. DH's elbow is not hot and red now but still gulf ball size. Feels like jello in there. Weird looking elbow. I really can't believe it does not hurt. But he says it doesn't.  That is a good thing. 

Glad everything went well with doctor. Getting off blood pressure pills is a plus. So glad things went well WE2.

A question to anyone who has a SEPTIC TANK like we do.......

Which cleaners would kill this virus without also killing off the enzymatic action in the septic tank?

Bleach or Hydrogen Peroxide????? 

We currently use a bleach toilet bowl cleaner....but not so frequently.  Hopefully ....if we isolate well enough, we don't have to worry about the question.

MtRider  :scratchhead: 

I've read a lot about septic tanks lately. Bleach is very bad for them. It kills all the good bacteria and can cause a world of trouble. I don't know anything about peroxide. My toilet cleaners are Lysol and not bleach. You sure don't want a backed up septic tank during a pandemic.   

A reminder about RX's:   Except with certain controlled rx's, You can legally fill all the refills you have left all at once, but you will be paying the actual cost.   Your insurance/prescription plan is the one who sets the 30 or 90 day or whatever refill time.  You can fill sooner than that, but the insurance/prescription plan does not cover their part.    It's something to think about and consider.   Very, very expensive for some rx's (my thyroid med is WAY up there...several hundred dollars/90 day supply) and not so bad for others (DH's generic blood pressure med without insurance is under $30/90 day supply).

• Like 2

I went looking for descriptions of what they do when testing for COVID-19.  Found this....[can't guarantee accuracy] 

https://medlineplus.gov/lab-tests/coronavirus-testing/

begin quoting =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The symptoms of COVID-19 include:

• Fever
  • Cough
  • Shortness of breath

If you have symptoms and have not traveled to areas where infection rates have been high or been exposed to someone who has, it's highly unlikely that you have one of these new coronaviruses. You may have another type of virus, such as the flu. The flu is much more common in the United States than the new coronaviruses.

What happens during coronavirus testing?

If your provider thinks you may have COVID-19, he or she will contact the CDC or your local health department for instructions on testing. You may be told to go to a special lab for your test. Only certain labs have been allowed to do tests for COVID-19.

There are a few ways that a lab may get a sample for testing.

• Swab test. A health care provider will use a special swab to take a sample from your nose or throat.
  • Nasal aspirate. A health care provider will inject a saline solution into your nose, then remove the sample with gentle suction.
  • Tracheal aspirate. A health care provider will put a thin, lighted tube called a bronchoscope down your mouth and into your lungs, where a sample will be collected.
  • Sputum test. Sputum is a thick mucus that is coughed up from the lungs. You may be asked to cough up sputum into a special cup, or a special swab may be used to take a sample from your nose.
  • Blood. A health care professional will take a blood sample from a vein in your arm.

The FDA has approved more widespread use of a rapid test for COVID-19. The test, which was developed by the CDC, uses samples from the nose, throat, or lungs. It enables fast, accurate diagnosis of the virus. The test is now allowed to be used at any CDC-approved lab across the country.

Will I need to do anything to prepare for this test?

Your health care provider may ask you to wear a facemask to your appointment. Your provider will let you know if you should take other steps to prevent the spread of infection.

Are there any risks to the test?

You may feel a tickle or a gagging sensation when your nose or throat is swabbed. The nasal aspirate may feel uncomfortable. These effects are temporary.

There is a minor risk of bleeding or infection from a tracheal aspiration.

There is very little risk to having a blood test. You may have slight pain or bruising at the spot where the needle was put in, but most symptoms go away quickly.

What do the results mean?

If your results were positive, it means you probably have a coronavirus infection. There is no specific treatment for these infections, but your health care provider may recommend steps to relieve your symptoms. These include:

• Drinking plenty of fluids
  • Resting
  • Taking over-the-counter pain relievers

You may need to go to the hospital if your symptoms get worse, which may be a sign of pneumonia. Symptoms of pneumonia include a worsening cough, increased trouble breathing, and a high fever.

If you were diagnosed with a coronavirus infection, you should also take the following steps to prevent others from getting sick:

• Stay home, except to get medical care.
  • Wear a facemask when you are around other people.
  • Do not share drinking glasses, eating utensils, towels, bedding, or other items with people in your home.
  • Cough or sneeze into your sleeve or a tissue, not your hands.
  • Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.

If your results were negative, you may need further testing and/or an exam by your provider. Until you get a diagnosis, you will still need to take steps to prevent spreading the infection.

Is there anything else I need to know about coronavirus testing?

You can lower your risk of getting an infection by taking the following steps:

• Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
  • When possible, keep away from people who are coughing and sneezing.
  • Clean frequently-touched objects and surfaces with a household disinfectant spray or wipe.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- end quoting

When my doctor tested me for pertussis [whooping cough] in January, the MA slowly inserted an "overgrown Q-tip" into each nostril....going WAY up into the sinus cavity.  Quite uncomfortable but not really painful...maybe a little 'ow' a couple times. 

MtRider  ......just wondering. 

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Ambergris said:

Cross-posted, because getting to this list is SO ANNOYING:

I laughed cuz I'd posted that one about 7 posts above yours.  Same reason. 

As for "Pinning it".....   Um, I don't know how.  Annarchy?

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

7 hours ago, out_of_the_ordinary said:

A reminder about RX's:   Except with certain controlled rx's, You can legally fill all the refills you have left all at once, but you will be paying the actual cost.   Your insurance/prescription plan is the one who sets the 30 or 90 day or whatever refill time.  You can fill sooner than that, but the insurance/prescription plan does not cover their part.    It's something to think about and consider.   Very, very expensive for some rx's (my thyroid med is WAY up there...several hundred dollars/90 day supply) and not so bad for others (DH's generic blood pressure med without insurance is under $30/90 day supply).

WOW!  I take name brand Synthroid and it cost me $45.00 for a 90 day supply.  Though DH's blood thinner is over $400 for a 90 day supply. We have just always gotten ours fixed at a 90 day as it for us is a few dollars cheaper.  Never figured that out.

Do to DH"s health problems, we have already decided to stay home. Only going out for Dr. appts. to pick up RX's which he does not need to go for and to market to cook collards as we are in back of store where no customers are..  That gives us a bit more protection in the back of store.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I've read a lot about septic tanks lately. Bleach is very bad for them. It kills all the good bacteria and can cause a world of trouble. I don't know anything about peroxide. My toilet cleaners are Lysol and not bleach. You sure don't want a backed up septic tank during a pandemic.   

The best thing to use would be Rid-X. It is full of the good bacteria to help kill off those viruses.  You don't want to put anything down in septic tank that would kill off the good bacteria such as bleach and vinegar.  

Before I went on Medicare I had Aetna. They wouldn't allow you to get a three month supply. Insurance wouldn't approve it. One month at a time. And my pharmacy still won't fill a script ahead, even one day, unless it's an emergency. And then it's just for a day or two. 

• Sad 3