MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Farming in 2020

This is not an article from the 1950's Popular Mechanics.  THIS is a tiny glimpse of what I saw when I visited my "home town-ship" in Iowa five years ago.  This topic was brewing then....and I was STAGGERED at the changes since I'd left. 

Farming in this era is as different from my era as farming in my dad's boyhood was from his later adult years.  He began with farm implements pulled with horses.  When he sold our family farm, a combine cost a couple HUNDRED thousand dollars.  That's one piece of machinery.  Fortunately it had 2  interchangeable heads for corn picking and other...soy beans, oats, etc.  That's the era I was raised in.  Now this....  :o   But I heard back 5 yrs ago about this issue.  The "works" of the FAR MORE EXPENSIVE machinery was not owned by the owners of the machine.  Proprietary software.....DO NOT ENTER! 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2020-03-05/farmers-fight-john-deere-over-who-gets-to-fix-an-800-000-tractor?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Not surprisingly, that hasn't been setting well with independent-for-generations-beyond-time farmers. 

MtRider  ...just taking a glimpse into my homeland. 

My Grandparents had a homestead and grew their own food.  I remember the horse pulling the plow. Granddaddy couldn't afford that type of machinery.  He did get a tractor later but he was able to do repairs. though I think one of my uncles did most of the repairs on it when needed. I used to spend summers up there with them and helped out on the farm.  That is where I learned to can and do other things as well.  I even remember the 2 tubs for washing clothes grandma had. Granddaddy made a stand for them. One had the roller on it to run the clothes through and she used a wash board as well as a plunger much like the one's you see on Leman's. The square tubs Leman's have are very much like the ones my grandmother used.  Close were of course always hung on line. 

Not being allowed to have access to the software to repair your own equipment sounds a lot like control. They can make more money that way by fixing what does not need fixing and fixed what does with it and rip you off that way. Sounds a lot like car dealer ships. They are sneaky about things they do. 

• Like 1