MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Stimulus Check

Jeepers

4 hours ago, Vic303 said:

No, they're trying to limit theft and fraud. Just like a credit card or replacement back debit card is mailed to you in a vaguely labeled envelope.

:lol:    but .....but it does kinda sound like my dad's trick.  Trying to prevent one thing and by doing so....you prevent the original purpose! 

MtRider    :unsure:  Should I be worried that all this seems PERFECTLY NORMAL to me?  :grinning-smiley-044:

• Haha 1

According to the link dated May 28th. the government only started sending out the debit cards last week. So I doubt many cards were thrown away.

I'd think they would have sent out a warning letter in a government envelope, warning people that the debit card is being sent in a plain white envelope and to be watching for it. So now the scammers know to watch for a plain white envelope with a credit card bulge in it. 

On my $512.15 paper check it says "Economic Impact Payment". I looked it up to be sure. That is the official stimulus package wording.  So, evidently I'm only getting that amount. Sigh. Will call my representative Monday. 

I'm really tired of dealing with people. Especially over the phone. Or Internet. Or automated. That check did not ease my burden. It made me grumpier.

I didn't get much of a stimulation out of it. And I sure can't go out and stimulate the economy as I had planned to do. If that's all I'm getting, then I'm going to cash the check (if the banks ever open) and hoard that money right here at at the house. That'll learn em. :008Laughing:

• Sad 1
5 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I didn't get much of a stimulation out of it. And I sure can't go out and stimulate the economy as I had planned to do. If that's all I'm getting, then I'm going to cash the check (if the banks ever open) and hoard that money right here at at the house. That'll learn em. 

:laughkick:

MtRider   Ya do have a mystery, my friend!  :hug3: 

• Like 1
On 5/29/2020 at 2:32 PM, Jeepers said:

I didn't get much of a stimulation out of it. And I sure can't go out and stimulate the economy as I had planned to do. If that's all I'm getting, then I'm going to cash the check (if the banks ever open) and hoard that money right here at at the house. That'll learn em. :008Laughing:

Jeepers, can you do the drive through window at the bank?

• Thanks 1

I've only done the drive through ATM. And I haven't ever deposited anything. I wouldn't know how.  :blush:

BUT, if they have a person inside managing that drawer thing on the other side with the pneumatic tube then that just might be doable.

Thank you Annarchy. I never even thought about that. The ATM's I go to are stand alone things or attached onto the side of a building. I know a branch that has one of those drawers attached right to the bank with a teller right there. Maybe they will still have that. Hummm.

:sSig_thankyou:

• Like 1

I only ever do the drive through for deposits.  I get a lot of anxiety doing new things, so here is my method for decades:   

Before you go to the bank: Make out your deposit slip, sign the check.   

Take out the tube or push the button for it to open.  The one by the window will be a drawer that will auto open.

Open tube, put stuff in /put stuff in drawer.

Push button if tube, drawer closes auto.

Wait.   Teller will ask you if you want anything else.    I usually say 'just the deposit' or ' cash back in $5s please.  Allowances for kids" etc.

Tube will come back or drawer will open.

Take receipt/cash, smile, say thanks and drive on.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of the banks near me has a Remote Teller, who works extended hours.  You push a button to catch her attention.  She eventually clicks on.  You punch ID numbers, whether your account number or SSN, whichever you can remember, and also put your photo ID up to the camera.  Explain what you want to do.  Put your wad of cash into the drawer, or your countersigned check, and she makes things happen.  You want part of this check to go to your account, part of it to go to your son's account, and part to come back as cash?  No problem.  The lady makes it happen.  Or she tells you when the bank will release enough of the cash to make it happen, and tells you what you can do.  She's actually much more accommodating than most in-person tellers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

:amen:   ......bit by bit.  But finally DH's Unemployment checks and the COVID bonus all have been deposited.  It's ongoing but for right now, they've caught up.  Hope everyone else can get caught up with what has been promised. 

MtRider    ....it took our state representative's office to make it happen.  :sSig_thankyou:

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

My representative isn't much help. I'm still waiting for a call back. 

Forget it. I think I figured it out myself. I pay taxes quarterly. Because of the extended deadline, I haven't payed my quarterly taxes yet. So, I think they went ahead and took the tax money from my stimulus check. 

What gets me is I pay taxes ahead during the year. They are getting my money before it's even due at the end of the year. I'm paying ahead IRS. The money isn't owed yet. You are using my money throughout the year. And now you dock my stimulus check too. Maybe I need that money to eat and pay rent for all you know. Anyway, I don't make waves with the IRS. They can/do cause a world of hurt and anxiety that I don't want to deal with. 

BTW, I got a notice this week saying that I'm going to receive a check or debit card soon for $512.15. Sigh. I got that check LAST MONTH.   Nit-wits.

• Sad 1

......I don't think that can be right, Jeepers.  Cuz of the extended deadline.....   I don't think the IRS and the stimulus check are in the same category.  Hopefully your rep will contact you yet. 

MtRider  :shrug: 

• Sad 1

I heard, if you file taxes annually, and direct deposit your return, then, you automatically got the stimulus auto-deposited.  If you write a check, or get your return in check form, then, you would receive a paper check.  Jeepers, I think, because you pay quarterly, they probably did take your taxes out, before they sent you that check.  Make sure, when you go to pay, next quarter, you shouldn’t have to pay any taxes on that money.  At the end of the year, you should get a 1099 form, showing the taxes were already paid for.  And, yeah, we got a statement a month later, saying we were going to get it.  

We know we will need to pay taxes on ours.  I feel sorry for anyone who thinks it was/is “free” money.  The PTB don’t work that way.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, The WE2's said:

But does anybody that is receiving "unemployment" check(s) pay taxes on the monies they're receiving?  Just thinking out loud.

yes

• 3 weeks later...

It's official!  I'm poor. I no longer have to pay quarterly taxes.

I usually got most of the money back but it was a pain trying to remember to pay them on time four times a year. Plus they were using my money throughout the year for free. Cheeky little devils.

I got my taxes done...finally. I broke even. Actually, I get a refund but it is money I already paid in during the quarterly payments I made. My regular tax lady isn't working this year because her office is closed due to Covid. I really hope this new guy knows what he is talking about. concerning not having to pay the quarterly taxes. I hope I don't get hit next year owing a bunch of taxes too. I got the protection plan just in case so he will be responsible for any penalties but it's still my name and I don't want ANY attention from ANY government offices.

He also said I should have gotten the full stimulus check. The only thing they were supposed to deduct for was back child support. So, I guess I'll have to revisit that again.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Bipartisan group splits stimulus proposal into two parts, calls it 'a Christmas miracle'

https://money.yahoo.com/bipartisan-group-splits-stimulus-220109280.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYXIxNS5jb20vZm9ydW1zL0dlbmVyYWwvU3RpbXVsdXMtY2hlY2tzLW1heS1iZS10b2FzdC81LTI0MDIzNjcv&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAN6_M_4Tg6A4RManFtKReDdzjlZfpPofDX3TyXQxObf_RQVYkkcH0RMLaZ8ObFniNGCLnhat6P3JAuv8Zbb6waHRJ-QGtV3s6Sc9g9tzSqqvc4zq10UT4Q8GK4GueCPBuZ1_QHmPRoB60FDusagGfwmI_a57EjMjS2h4mnMrX3DB

.......A $748 billion stimulus bill includes provisions both parties support, including the extension of two expiring unemployment programs, an additional $300 a week in jobless benefits, a second round of the Paycheck Protection Program, rental assistance, student loan forbearance, and funding for testing, tracing and vaccine distribution, among others......

The second bill includes just two provisions: Liability protections for businesses that some Democrats characterize as a “poison pill” and $160 billion for state and local government aid, which Republicans — including Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) — have called a “blue state bailout.”

Neither proposal includes a second round of stimulus checks, a provision supported by Democrats, Republicans and the White House in earlier negotiations.

(I added the bold)

• Thanks 1