MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Stimulus Check

Jeepers

Will see what happens and yes, they want to bale out the blue states. What they need is to use that money to help those in need, small business and people that have lost jobs over this. Not the blue states. They have a budget and should deal with what they already have. 

California has the highest number of unemployed and gets the biggest bailout.  

New York has the second highest number of unemployed and gets the second biggest bailout.

Texas has the third highest number of unemployed and gets the third biggest bailout.

Illinois (blue) has the fourth highest number of unemployed and gets the fifth biggest bailout. 

Florida (red) has the fifth highest number of unemployed and gets the fourth biggest bailout.

Edited by Ambergris
On 12/20/2020 at 8:52 PM, Ambergris said:

And it includes ten billion dollars for broadband.  Say what?

Honestly, that's my favorite part.  Maybe they'll have the funding to bring it over to our house.  Trying to do online schooling on cellular internet SUCKS.  Massively.  And it's a VAST improvement over satellite.

President Trump said much the same thing tonight, Jeepers.  He wants a package that will "help the American people".  He wants $2000 per person instead of the $600 that is in the bill.  It should be interesting to see what happens.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/pork-city-here-are-most-ridiculous-pet-projects-900-billion-spending-package

There are sites all over taking screen shots of parts of this bill.  :blink: 

" not less than 10 million will be made available for gender programs" [in Pakistan] 

Wait....we're exporting our current "culture" to Pakistan?  Leave 'em alone to figure it out themselves!  :tapfoot: 

We have Americans in big trouble in 2020.  And Ms. Ice Cream Queen is authorizing sending THIS MUCH $$$ to foreign countries?  I would be very disappointed if BLM does not scream loudly about this!  I'd agree.  This is WINTER.....OUR people need to be secure in housing and food. 

MtRider  :gaah:  :darthduck:  :tinfoilhatsmile:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I hope he vetoes it. Pelosi has been holding this bill hostage because she didn't want anything "good" to happen while Trump was still in office. I know that if he vetoes it, Pelosi and her ilk will make political hay out of saying how "mean" the "Orange Man Bad" is, but he is a big boy and he has taken it on the chin before so I think he'll survive the fallout if he vetoes it.

• Like 1

Pelosi has not been holding the bill hostage.  She's announced that if Trump's $2k came to the floor on it's lonesome, the Democrats would pass it unanimously.  

If the Democrats did not want the bill, all they'd have to do is adjourn Congress while Trump sat on the bill as he is currently doing, exercising his pocket veto.  If the president does not sign a bill within ten days, this is a pocket veto.  It can go back to Congress if Congress is in session, but if Pelosi has adjourned Congress in the meantime, the bill utterly fails.

Edited by Ambergris
  • Thanks 1

I certainly do not want to add to this tremendous amount of $$$$ but I am thoroughly sick of sending money outside this country in an extraordinary year when Americans are hurting in new ways.  I'm aware that it's WAY more complicated with all parties involved.  I know we've had commitments to International affairs....[some of which I'm sure I'd totally disagree with.] 

But c'mon.  With bills like this getting presented for anyone to look at almost before it's left the floor, those who lead and represent us [and I mean ALL of them!] had better tighten up.  There is so much more accountability possible with current technology.  I'm quite sure most wealthy folks have no clue as to what MANY citizens are facing this year.  :sigh:   The poorest among us....the most vulnerable among us need representation too!  

............................and yes, a percentage of the poor/vulnerable HAVE history of making poor choices....but that does not nearly cover the subject of misfortune and accidents and massive job losses and death-of-wage-earner and dozens of other reasons why people are poor in 2020. 

Blame The Other Side is ridiculous.  Take Advantage Of Any Money Grab  is ridiculous.  Just STOP.... or none of us will survive this!

MtRider  :(    .....and please do craft your words well, folks.  This IS MrsS where we have much in common...even if it isn't politics.  

• Like 1

Trump's $2k stimulus came to a vote.  The Democrats voted for it, and the Republicans refused to play ball.

Trump's complaint re foreign aid was echoed in a Republican bill that raised the amount dedicated to foreign aid.  The Democrats refused to play ball.  

Congress is still in session.  

Let me explain "unemployment benefits" in Florida.  If you have a normal job for 13-14 months or more and lose it in a layoff, you have a significant history of wage credits.  This entitles you to twelve weeks of "unemployment" (we call it something else) benefits of an average $125 (up to $275) per week.  This year, that's followed by 13 weeks of federally funded PEUC benefits in the same amount.  This year, that's also followed by federally funded PUA benefits in the same amount, except with a MINIMUM of $125 per week, and PUA just went on and on, week after week after week.  Except that it ends day after tomorrow, December 26.  Merry Christmas.  Also, people who didn't have regular, normal jobs also got PUA, to everyone's surprise and relief.  (There's another benefit class called EB, but ignore that right now.)  Now, hundreds of thousands of people have been out of work since March or April and have burned out their wage credits so nothing was left but PUA.  Which went on and on so everyone felt secure in it.  And it's going to end on Saturday.  I don't know how many people understand that they have seen their last PUA automatic deposit, and how many people have spent it on presents instead of the electric bill.

Congress is still in session.  

Some of us who work in the system are gritting our teeth, willing Congress to stay in session until some kind of bill is passed, to keep the money coming.  Because if the money stops, people are going to hit the sidewalk face-first.

• Sad 3

Yeah...the well known persona of the Evil Landlord .....  it's well known for a reason. 

To be fair, I've heard several first-hand stories of rental managers/owners really trying to extend grace as far as they can this year.  Blessings to them....and vacant buildings won't be doing them much good either. 

So many are on shaky ground right now.  Many who have never been there before.  And now with this deadline......a crevasse is opening in that shaky ground. 

MtRider  :pray:   Help us all....

• Sad 1
7 minutes ago, Ambergris said:

My renters were five months behind when I evicted them. :(

DH and I don't have apartments but my cousin does.  She has 2 middle class buildings with4 apts. in each.  She hasn't had to evict anyone yet, but like she says, "If I have to I will.  It sounds good not to evict people but I still have monthly mortgage payments, if they pay or not.  I furnish heat, water, sewer and garbage.  If they don't pay their rent,  (like Ambergris had with 5 months of no rent) how can I add to my lack of income by having to pay their utilities."  It sounds harsh but when/if people quit paying rent she can't afford to pay the utilities on top of it.  It's just a no-win situation for all concerned.

2 hours ago, Dee said:

It's just a no-win situation for all concerned.

True

Same for small business.  Our kids began their business in 2008...JUST before that hooey hit the fan.  Nearly lost their house but managed to qualify for a refinance just in time.  Now they struggle again.  At the store til late every night.  Trying to make the Internet orders make up for lack of walk-in purchases.  With packaging and shipping, it's a slim margin.  When this began last spring, they had to pay rent on the shop that wasn't allowed to be open all those months.  If they don't pay rent....will the owner lose the building - and a whole house of cards comes down? 

MtRider  :(  Precarious situations and folks will be lucky if these 'bandaids' work. 

• Sad 4

So, it was signed.  The $600 disbursements are going out now, I hear.  Counting me, DS1, DS2, DDIL, Dhousemate (DHM?) I alone got 2020's $1200 without a hitch and DS2 finally got it months later.  Apparently, DHM's check was sent to a very old address and cashed by someone unknown.  As far as the government is concerned, she got it--end of story.  She has updated her address now.  

Gender Studies in Pakistan explained:  

I understand what the guy is saying up there but the stimulus package was meant to help Americans during this Covid crisis. So many jobs lost and people facing eviction and lack of food. These are not normal prosperous times for our country. Many of us need help from our own tax dollars. That we've paid in. This seems like a slap in the face to many of us. 

• Like 2