MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

How to FREEZE eggs.

Can you freeze eggs?

Can You Freeze Eggs?

Many people find themselves being left with spare egg whites or yolks after a recipe requiring just one or the other, or even throwing out unused eggs when the box hits its expiry date. This food wastage can be easily avoided by freezing eggs. However, the following guidelines need to be met to ensure the eggs remain safe.

First of all, each egg needs to be cracked out of its shell. The egg white and yolk will expand when frozen so if left intact this could damage or break the shell. Only freeze eggs which are fresh and in date; all British Lion Eggs are labelled with a best-before date stamp on each individual egg shell. You may wish to freeze the whole egg or just the yolk or white, which we have explained below.

When placing raw egg in containers before freezing, be sure to leave about a half-inch room for expansion. Make sure all containers are labelled with dates, volume of eggs used and detail of any other external ingredients for your future reference.

Eggs can be frozen for up to a year, although it is recommended to use them within 4 months for freshness.

Freezing Whole Eggs

To freeze eggs whole, the white and yolk will need to be beaten together. Pour the contents into a container suitable for the freezer, label with the date, seal and freeze.

Freezing Egg Whites Only

With egg whites, it is a simple procedure of pouring into a container, mixing the whites together, tightly sealing the contents and freezing; freeze them in smaller quantities to speed up the thawing process.

Freezing Egg Yolk Only

To freeze the yolk by itself, start by separating it out and placing it into a container.

Egg yolks demand a different process due to their thicker consistencies. The yolk will gel if left in its original form which would render it unusable for recipes; therefore you should add some extra ingredients to prevent the gelation (eggs turning sticky).

Salt and sugar are particularly useful. Add half a teaspoon of salt or 1 – 1½ tablespoons of sugar for each 240ml of raw egg; use according to whether you intend to use the egg contents for sweet or savoury purposes. This will stop the gelation of the yolks.

Use the yolks within a few months for best results.

Defrosting & Eating

Frozen eggs in any form need to be fully thawed to be used and can only be eaten in thoroughly cooked dishes. Never cook eggs directly from frozen. To defrost, move the egg from the freezer to the refrigerator to be stored overnight, this will help to avoid any exposure to bacteria. To quicken the process, run cold water over the freezing container. Be sure to use the eggs as soon as they have thawed.

https://www.egginfo.co.uk/egg-safety/storage-and-handling/can-you-freeze-eggs?fbclid=IwAR0zYS-sY4rBLRC8hjBv1yWBridrWLS4_wY-5cqz7KMNNOBQSqAU26MahuY

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

More info on eggs but not about freezing them. :thumbs:

Do you know why eggs are stored with the pointy end down? They are stored this way to keep the yolk more centered inside of the egg which will help your eggs stay fresh longer. There is an air sac at the blunt end of the egg. Air and bacteria can enter the egg through the blunt end into the air sac. By storing eggs pointy side down, the pocket of air stays away from the yolk.

1420406793_storingeggs.JPG.e08ceca26fa57d58be6f8db61040652c.JPG

https://www.facebook.com/bakingandeggz/posts/pfbid0q4nDzYyYQP1pXv8kh55cNwRFRDfYE86UYP3dxf2dYnKPfhcvAqnutggFpi4dmB2bl

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 months later...

While filling my freezer I wanted to freeze some eggs. They would be fast and easy to do. One job quickly out of the way. Right?  :24:

I also figured I'd do the best I could afford, while I still could. I bought Eggland Best (stamped EB in bright red letters) EXTRA. LARGE. :pout:Thirty six (36) of them. 

I have the perfect trays to freeze them in. I got them at Wal-Mart. They are very pliable silicone. They are actually for ice cubes I think. Or maybe for freezing those herb butter squares. They are so soft and pliable that you could easily pull anything away from the sides and pop them right out.

Au Contraire Mon Frere.  Or in the Jeeperese ... It Ain't So Bro. 

I cracked eggs, dug out egg shells, added a scant pinch of salt and beat each egg in their little egg condominiums within an inch of their lives.  I know I could have beaten them all together and divided them into the condos but we know how OCD works. One egg per condo. Period. Covered and froze

Well, they stuck. They stuck badly. So, I sat them in the sink with some water. That should loosen them bad boys up. And it did. On the bottom. The sides were still stuck like glue. I had a melted egg mess on one end and a chunk of solid mass on the other end still stuck to the tray. 

Since I had no internet I couldn't look anything up. I just ran water over the entire mess and accepted my losses. I figured I had probably contaminated them by now. Salmonella during a SHTF probably wouldn't be pretty.  Four trays = 2 dozen eggs. Down my septic tank. That will probably turn into another issue soon. I was over that mess by then. Left to my own devices (frightening I know) I cleaned up the trays grabbed some cooking spray and sprayed the tar out of one of the trays.  

I repeated the first process of cracking eggs, digging out errant slimy shells, salted (not sure why but I thought I remembered that) beat them, covered them and froze. 

The next morning they popped right out of the tray! A little bit of Pam residue on them but I'm okay with that. I have frozen eggs. Six (6) of them. :curtsey:

I have 2 dozen more in the freezer awaiting their big debut. I feel confident they will succeed this time.  

But really, the only thing you need to take away from this is:

if you use those nice pliable silicone trays be sure to oil them first. 

And it's okay to laugh. I won in the end. I have 6 frozen eggs.  :hapydancsmil:

Eggs from the freezer ready to pop right out.                                                         Eggs from the sink. Popped

image.jpeg     image.jpeg

• Like 4

I need freezer room before I can do that. My freezers are full to the brim.  Hoping after the Holidays are over and right after the first of year, I can get back into canning full swing.  I have a lot in those freezers to both can and dehydrate as well.  I want to try freezing some fresh eggs as well.

10 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I cracked eggs, dug out egg shells, added a scant pinch of salt and beat each egg in their little egg condominiums within an inch of their lives.  I know I could have beaten them all together and divided them into the condos but we know how OCD works. One egg per condo. Period. Covered and froze

It's much easier to beat each egg in a small bowl before adding it to its "Condomimium."   :24:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

It's much easier to beat each egg in a small bowl before adding it to its "Condomimium."   :24:

I figured since they were the fancy schmancy Eggland eggs they could afford to buy a condominium. Regular eggs would probably rent an apartment. We common Wal-Mart eggs would probably still reside in our nesting box in our coop. Lots of deep "layers" (get it. layers...hens) of thought went into this. Yeah right. Not really. I'm half nuts. Or obviously "cracked"

Someone  (:hi:) may have issues. 

• Haha 2

I used to freeze eggs when I lived in MS.  Crack 60 into a giant bowl, scramble them.  Add a 1TB salt and divide the scramble into ziplock bags.  Freeze flat.  Did that for years with no issues.  

• Like 2
11 hours ago, euphrasyne said:

I used to freeze eggs when I lived in MS.  Crack 60 into a giant bowl, scramble them.  Add a 1TB salt and divide the scramble into ziplock bags.  Freeze flat.  Did that for years with no issues.  

How many baggies of eggs did you get? And do you have any idea how many eggs each baggie held???

I usually bought 5dz eggs or else got fresh eggs from my grandfather.  and I measured about 1c per bag because that was how much I needed to cook.  I'd cook them up at the start of the week and people ate them for grab and go breakfasts.  I usually got about 10-12 bags from the 5dzn and less from my grandfather as fresh eggs are smaller than grocery ones.  Any leftover I'd just go ahead and cook that day. 

I'm not really a morning cooker, so food at that time of day is always either grab and go or DIY.  

Also I'd wash and reuse the baggie for the next batch.  I was either cheap or great for the environment that way.  

• Like 1

I wanted individual eggs for cake mixes and things that calls for 1-2 eggs. I'm storing them in the zip lock Food Saver bags so I can take out how many I need and re-vacuum the bag. The bags are on the small size so about 6 -8 extra large eggs fit in. 

I like the idea of scrambling eggs and freezing them too. Would be handy for making scrambled eggs or omelets. Freeze them in a sandwich bag then store them in a resealable vacuum bag. I'm a lazy cook. As I've aged I've become more of a heat and eat kind of girl. I'm also new to this freezer game too. 

One cup is about five regular store type large eggs.  I freeze them in one cup Souper Cubes.  They are silicone and are for freezing single servings of soup.  These have four one-cup sections.  You can put eight ‘cubes’ in a gallon size bag.  I do applesauce, soup, puréed squash and sweet potatoes, cooked oatmeal, and other things.  I haven’t tried to remove the eggs yet but will let you know.  I didn’t oil them.  

I also beat eggs with onions, peppers, and etc.  I then pour them into a rimmed cookie sheet  or cake pan and bake them until tender done.  Once cooled I cut them in squares and use them to make breakfast sandwiches to freeze.  I like to use English muffins, biscuits, or even pancakes, Sausage patties or cooked bacon, and a slice of American cheese to makes a quick breakfast.  I wrap them in parchment paper and microwave them or stick in the oven to heat. Sometimes I just wrap and freeze the egg squares to use in other ways, like chopped up as egg salad.  

If I ever find an inexpensive source of eggs I will be making and freezing egg casseroles, strata, bread puddings, and more.  I especially like to line a muffin tin with a thin layer of meat to form a shell. I then put a beaten egg in the center, maybe some chopped veggies, cheese on the top and bake.  These freeze nicely and are easy to grab, heat, and eat. 

All this egg talk makes me want my own chickens or a friend who has way too many eggs! :whistling:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you freeze them in smaller baggies, you can make crowd omelets.   Crack eggs and scramble into a baggie.  usually about 2 eggs per baggie.  Add meat and veggies.  Store in fridge or freeze.  Defrost before using.    Boil water.   Place baggies into water for 13 minutes or so.  Boom Omelets for 50 done in under 30m.   Works on stovetop, commercial stoves, or campfires.  

Quiche is my favorite way to freeze egg dishes.  Also breakfast burritos and sandwiches.    You can make a large rectangle of scramble that can be cut into smaller squares for breakfast items by baking them on a cookie sheet lined with a nonstick mat.  They peel right off the mat and I just use a lasagna cutter or pizza cutter to cut squares in the desired size.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Euphrasyne,  we did the omelets in a bag for camping.  I would bring along certain things like chopped ham, onions, peppers, cheese, and etc. so each person could build their own omelet.  I used heavy zip lock bags not cheap ones as sometimes the thinner ones could break in the water. I would freeze the scrambled eggs ahead and bring them in the cooler.  They were usually thawed enough to use when we needed them.  AND the hot water stayed clean enough to use for cleanup afterwards.  Two for one! :happy0203:

• Like 4