MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Cowgirl

What Have You Done Today to Prepare? Spring 2020 Version

Maybe we need a new thread on this.

Today we got our propane tank filled. That will hold us until winter, although I think we'll likely re-fill sooner this year, given how uncertain everything is. But it feels good to have a full tank right now!

Over lunch I stopped by CVS to re-fill DH's prescription. While there I got more acetaminophen (generic Tylenol). There's been a run on it, apparently and their supply was dwindling. I'm guessing due to the news that NSAIDS make COVID-19 worse (as with the 1918 pandemic flu). My stocks of acetaminophen were inadequate for our current usage rate - DH has to take a lot of it these days. I was able to buy enough more to feel better about our supply without stripping the shelves bare. Since it is all made in India and China now, this may have to last awhile.

While I was there I learned that CVS has a new ONE ROLL PER CUSTOMER limit on TP sales! Thank goodness we have a stock of that! But they did have individually wrapped rolls stocked, if anyone is desperate.

I also stopped by and picked up a couple more bags of chicken feed. We are well set on that now.

Edited by Cowgirl
Can't type. :P
  • Like 4

I am seriously hoping that today was truly the last day I leave the house for awhile, so I ran to the pharmacy and got my Rx filled and did a few other necessary errands and filled the van with gas. 

The last frost was this week, so I went by the garden shop and picked up some plants for the garden.  DH wants to make 2 raised beds so we got a bit of lumber and some dirt for that as well as a large bucket of primer to work on some kid bedrooms.  

I mixed up a big bucket of oxiclean solution and had the kids scrub down the outside of the kitchen cabinets.  Next week, we will work on the insides.  It is very warm today, so all the windows are open and we are airing out the house.  

I took a good hard look at what I'm low on and made a small order in to Rainy Day/Walton Feed.  

• Like 4

Checked local garden store for sweet potato starts-- still none.  Picked up oats, flour and sugar just extra because...

Except for walks and veg. starts, I won't be leaving home.

• Like 3

Saw DS2 for the first time in a while.   He's had crazy hours at work for a couple of years, although they got around the law to avoid time and a half, and his fiancee has serious, chronic health issues.  Today I gave him some peat discs and a seedling tray, and some summer seeds   Wrong season for what he kept suggesting.  Told him to come back on my birthday to talk about another crop.  He does have decent land to grow field corn without irrigation, while I'd need irrigation.  Setting the boy up on his acre is a huge prep.

Arranged for him and the beau to to install the new gate.  Can't pull up the drawbridge if there's no gate, right?

While going through the seed options with him, I found the note that explained why I have nasturtium seeds:  companion crops for tomatoes.  Apparently, really effective ones.  So planting nasturtiums in the little bitty peat pots I have left over from seedlings that died this fall went on the list for tomorrow.

• Like 7

With DH home all the time, he gets bored so he's cooking.  But I keep finding those mystery things in the freezer that I never got around to using.  This will work out pretty good!  :blush:  but we actually had to thaw out one bag of something:  turkey soup.  I need to remember labels.  AND I had a partial turkey breast up in freezer too.  Neither is ANCIENT.  :happy0203:  

I spent some time digging thru the downstairs freezer yesterday.  Trying to find all of the small bags of minced garlic I'd frozen.  BEFORE we have to open the shelf-stable jar.  FOUND the last two.  Also discovered what a horrible MESS that freezer is in.  Long ago popcicles [for in case I overheat and can't even get up those stairs] had dehydrated and the plastic wrapper ...leaked the syrup.  That's gonna take a whole afternoon to deal with it.  Yuk.

MtRider  ...trying not to WASTE anything now!  ROTATE foods!  :thumbs: 

• Like 6

I didn't necessarily do it today but within the last couple of weeks I've topped off my food supplies at the grocery store. I got a second canner and some more jars. Got my meds filled for three months and bought extra vitamins and OTC meds. Got some more meds for the fishies. I think I'm about as prepared as I can be. 

I might venture out to Wal-Mart on off hours tomorrow. Also swing by The ATM again. Walgreens took most of my cash I got out yesterday because their credit card machines were down. I do have cash at the house though.

The idea of lock down kind of scares me. it feels eerie. Just the idea of everything being closed down makes me edgy. I'm pretty much of a loner type so being here in the house doesn't bother me. There is plenty to do. 

• Like 5

Eerie. Yes.

Each day on the drive to work there are less people. No children (no school). Less traffic as I get into town. Lots of places to park. 

It has felt eerie even before the stay home order.

• Like 4

Things traffic wise are starting to slow down here as well.  Food Lion is now laying off some of their workers.  My next door neighbor's grandson will be working his last day tomorrow.  He is a stocker.  I am thinking that since my grandson works for GNC and he broke his elbow they will just go ahead and lay him off.  He said he was going to still keep working but I think when he goes in next time they might send him home. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

I need to remember labels. 

I'm getting better at labeling baggies, but still don't label containers.  Need masking tape in kitchen as a reminder!

Checked and refreshed BOB's today.

• Like 4

Little Sister, getting grandson out of circulation might be good?? 

Eerie....how about these changes already:

I heard that the canals of Italy ....Venice? ....are clearing up.  They look so much more clean. 

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/venice-canals-clear-water-scli-intl/index.html

Heard the space station noticed a difference in air quality cuz of COVID shut downs in China?

https://www.ecowatch.com/coronavirus-china-pollution-2645356657.html

I hadn't even considered THOSE type of ramifications of this....  :unsure: 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 7

Had to stop by CVS again today, to pick up another scrip that had been back ordered. Fortunately it arrived before we ran out, but I had been worried!!! I am glad that we are able to get 90 day supplies of many prescriptions now, without begging or jumping through insurance hoops. A 90 day supply gives some peace of mind, to have them stocked up a little bit. Used to be they would only give us 30 days supply at a time. 90 days still feels like not enough to a prepper, but it is 3 times better than before! I have a 90 day supply of all DH’s main meds now — feeling somewhat relieved.

I am also glad that we are able to do tele-appointments with doctors. Yes, sometimes hands on is needed, but this saves me from taking DH into a facility full of sick people for a consult — keeps him ALOT safer. His next 2 appointments have been switched to tele-appointments, as of yesterday. WOOT! That feels like a prep, getting the appointments changed — a safety prep.

• Like 5

Went to pick up some RX's for DH and myself but they had to send some of them to doctor for refills. So have to go back next week. We also get ours on a 90 day supply.  So since they had not heard back from doctor yet, I went through the store though it was packed. I wore gloves and had my wipes as well.  I did pick up some no salt added canned tomatoes and no sugar added fruit. Picked up a few other things and got out of there. They wiped that store clean and no one stocking anything. Just a couple of venders.  Lance and a potato chip guy restocking their products. Not much in can goods, meat, bread, cleaning supplies were wiped out.  Never thought I would see something like this in my lifetime. Not even Christmas and Thanksgiving nor a hurricane together is as bad as this.  No sugar, flour yeast for bread. It was all wiped out. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Got peeps.  Not my first, second, or fifth choice of breed, but they are not meat-bred monstrosities and should in due time poop breakfast.  They are in a cat carrier on the porch now.

• Like 8

Peeps are great preps!!! What type(s) did you get?

• Like 1

Turkens (very resistant to mites, but susceptible to mosquitoes, good layers, really good at resisting problems caused by muggy heat) and black langshans (good foragers, good at escaping predators, not as good layers as turkens, not as good at handling heat and humidity but better in winter).

• Like 5

When I started mentioning quail in the garage, DH   :buttercup:    Only safe way to raise birds here is water birds on the pond [in summer] or pretty much locked in a bldg.  Too many types of predators. 

Glad you grabbed what's now available, Ambergris.  Do you have snake predators too?  Nasty, sneaky critters!

.....aaaack, we just got rid of all animal responsibility and chores.  What am I thinking?   :unsure:  .......eggs!  

MtRider  ....my mom would have a fit if we ATE her favorite lil' quail 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

It rained all day, so I cooked a lot today and I canned 5 jars of apple butter and froze some celery and onions for later.  I cleaned out the fridge and used all the leftovers as lunch and dinner  ingredients.  I made a list of what will go bad in the next week and put it by my desk so I can make menu plans for next week using those.  

DH had to go to his mother's apartment and throw a heavy mattress out for her.  He filled up his tank on the way home.  One of these days, we really will manage to not leave the house.  

• Like 6

Got the cabbage soup canned today.  No Church, so Bible reading and then canned.  Got seven quarts.  That will hold for a while and a fast meal also.  We forgot to go fill the extra gas can. But it can wait till Tuesday.  Tomorrow is going to be raining all day and I don't want to go out in the rain. I heard something about a nor easterner heading our way, but didn't hear anymore on it. So will be watching weather for that. Could be some of that rain we are about to get. The gas is for the tiller and I am in no hurry yet for that. 

• Like 3

Euphrasyne,  you just reminded me to also freeze some onions and celery.  I have both freeze dried ones but want some fresh for chicken, egg and tuna salad. The frozen is better tasting than the freeze dried for that. Rained last night so can't do anything yet to get a garden going. Way to wet to get into it. So will just have to wait a bit. And now that we will be on self isolation and all stores other than grocery, pharm. etc. the feed and seed may be closed as well. That is where we get some of our starter plants and hopefully some canning jars. Will have to give them a call to see if they are going to be open.  I have my eye on another canner from there. At least I could have 2 going at a time. 

I did some major 'topping off' shopping today. I have everything I could think of. I'm sure I forgot something. I usually do. 

Everything is shut down now except for food, medical and gas places. We were told to shelter in place. Stay Home. Anyone over 65 yrs. is to self quarantine. 

I'll only go out if I need fresh food. Probably not even then. I have plenty of canned fruits and veggies and vitamins. 

• Like 4

We got the raised bed gardens planted yesterday.  They are small but manageable and we are happy with it.  I showed my DD16 how to replant green onions after you eat them and her eyes lit up.  Its the most excited I've seen her in forever, so she is now in charge of green onions on the deck planter.  

We had to remove the neighbor's chicken from the yard 4 separate times.  Seriously going to have chicken for dinner soon.  

I made a meal plan for another week and am focusing on using freezer and fresh because I need room in the freezer and who knows what will happen to the grid with everyone home.  I need to pick up more quart mason jars.  I'm swimming in half gallon atm, but I'm low on quarts.  

• Like 6

Got sweet potato starts and a few more seeds.  Fellow will be here with tiller some time this week.  As it is not raining at this time, I will wait to put fertilizer down until the night before he comes.  I don't know but since it is really warm and sunny, I'm afraid I'll burn something.  I don't know.  

• Like 4

Today went and picked up RX's but one won't be in till Friday.  Went through the store and bought what I could and got some more fresh produce.  Tomorrow I will be busy canning potatoes, and cutting up celery and onions for freezer. Bought some more celery and onions for that as well.  Soon I am going to go through the big freezer and get that better organized.  Bought 2 packs of butter as well. I have watched people on U-Tube can it but they say it is not safe. So I am freezing mine like the last time.  Going to freeze some bananas as well. Can use those for banana bread. 

• Like 3

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.