MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Cowgirl

What Have You Done Today to Prepare? Spring 2020 Version

DH and I are still going thru the dark, hidden reaches of ....the basement!  :hidingsmile:   Tragically, when the system of rotation fell apart, a lot of food was waaaay back there.  Well, that stuff is going out in the trash.  But we do keep most things that are out of date.  Not canned goods like cream soups, etc.  Not things with cheap cans.  But now we've got most....not all yet....most things brought forward for immediate use.  Both of us know the system of rotation now so one of us isn't just buying at the store and using that product cuz it's easiest to reach.....  :lol:   Can't complain.  He cooks way more than me these last years. 

At least we'll have a better idea of what we really don't/do have.  We're fine. 

MtRider  :cook: 

• Like 8

I got the outside lightbulb replaced yesterday. It lit up the front yard nicely last night. It's a 100 watt-er so the neighborhood is safe once more.  LOL.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

I need to do some preps rotating too, Mt_R. I have fallen down on that since DH got sick. Maybe I will have a little more time to do that now that we are on a rotation at work. One rotation can lead to another? LOL! First day to be home is tomorrow, and with all the rain we are getting it will be a good inside project.

Jeepers, I need to change a security light outside also. I got some LED daylight bulbs that are just a few watts, but VERY BRIGHT! I have used them here and there where the light is on a long time, to cut our energy use. I was surprised how much light they produce.

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Like 6

Those LED lights are great.  We are slowly replacing all our lights both inside and out with them.  We had to put in a new light in kitchen and over kitchen sink and used LED. Love them Will never have to change the overhead one.  The one in hall we had to replace the whole thing as the light itself was bad.  DH found a broken wire in it when he took it down. So had to fix all that and then replaced with LED light fixture. Will never have to change that one either. Those bulbs are lifetime bulbs. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Littlesister said:

LED lights are great

Several years ago we replaced all the bulbs in all three houses with LED's and in both the travel trailer and the class B motorhome.  Just can't believe the difference it made in our electricity bills.  Then, when the a/c went out we put in a window a/c and use the furnace fan to pull the cool air through the rest of the house (thankfully it's a small house) and saved us tons!  Can't believe the cost of central a/c!

• Like 3

This bulb is an LED. I can't remember the conversion to wattage. What ever it is its equivalent to 100 watts. It's bright! I use LED bulbs too and really like them.They last a very long time. The first one I've had to burn out was the one outside. It was good for well over 5 years burning from dusk to dawn every night. Maybe the weather weakened it? 

The one I had out there was the kind you use inside and it had a bluish tint to it and wasn't very bright. This one is bright white.  B)

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

My last Walmart trip in Feb....we searched and searched for Outdoor/NonDimmable/LED Floodlights.  There is such a bewildering assortment but finally found them.  Like you, Jeepers.....I wanted an extra cuz I did NOT want our barnyard light to be dark if it burned out.  Not in THIS era of time.  It is currently an LED but they certainly can and DO burn out

If any LED begins for blink furiously, like a strobe light on a sugar rush, it's going out.  We had one malfunction after only 2 months.  :tapfoot:  Conversely, we had one last for 7 years.....and it was on continuously.  :shrug:   Most have been running fine for years now tho.  We've been EXTREMELY pleased with them after trying the florescent ones.  Those were horrid. 

We switched to LED all over inside and outside for years now.  Flashlights too.  Just dropped off a florescent camping lantern at Thrift store.  Fragile bulb and 4 heavy D batteries to run it.  No thanks. 

MtRider   ....did I mention I really like LEDs?  :rolleyes: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 3

mt rider I also had the same experience - put in the energy saving kind of lights - leds - saved an immediate $50 a month on our light bills.  like them tremendously.  Can be hard to find sometimes though for me.  Oh well, worth the search.  God my social security check today - tomorrow I will get up at 6AM to get to Kroger for granny hours.  Trying to get some more meats....our freezers are full of steaks.  Never thought I would have "too much of a good thing" like steak, but I am actually bypassing beef steak sales in favor of other meat sales, LOL.  We do like some kind of variety.

Did lots of laundry today too.  Washed about 6 4x flannel shirts, brand new, that I bought DH just before he died.  Thought I was going to donate them, but now think I will take apart and recut into shirts for me instead.  Will save some money I can invest elsewhere.  Buttons will be saved, of course (doesnt everyone have a button jar?  and a zipper jar?  and a fastenings (snaps, hook & eye and the like) jar?  No?   Sometimes I feel so darn old.

• Like 7

I didn't do this today but I went shopping Monday. I ended up at CVS I think. I bought two packs of their brand of Depends. Don't remember what they are called. Anyway, I never bought any for my sick room supplies so I went ahead and got some. They have the tabs on the side like a diaper so they can be adjusted. They don't look especially comfortable but I suppose if I was having an "issue" I could wear them out shopping or to a doctor. :shrug:

I stopped in at JoAnn Fabrics and bought some flannel. I bought two different patterns of light gray. I didn't want a lot of dye in them even though I'll wash the material before I sew it. Mostly to clean it and pre shrink it in the dryer. I wonder, will two layers be enough or should there be a middle layer? Kind of like a very thin quilt? Not sure about the size either. I'm out of my league on this one. Oh yeah... I'm talking about family cloths. 

Why do they call them Family Cloths. It's not like you gather the family around and use them on family movie night. Hey kids, let's pop some corn and use our Family Cloths tonight. I'll put in a DVD. How about The Princess And The PEE.  I think Personal Cloths sounds more like it. Pfff, what do I know. ADD is about to take over so I'd better stop now while I still can.  :pout:

• Haha 5

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Jeepers said:

family cloths

I cut mine 12x12 and just give them a fold.  I'm using personal clothes now and saving the good stuff for when it might really be bad...paper can be burned.  Just our thinking...we did talk it over! Saving the real stuff for hubby for now.  LOL

Edited by The WE2's
  • Like 1

Watered my seed pots and put up my knock off green stalk planter as well as the pots in my "umbrella" hanger.  Also put some of the long pots in the hangers that I have on the rails on the front porch at the homestead.  Getting things ready for some soil and seeds.  Hubby is making room in his garage to pull the truck into.  It will close off two of the bays and one of the "people" doors, but he'll just use the side door to exit which goes directly to the back of the house.

• Like 4

Finally got my 'taters cut.  Some the Russets had already started having little buds.  I put them on trays and set them outside to help the warm weather dry them up.  Brought them in at dusk, didn't want any critters trying to carry them off and we're having some stormy stuff move in before too long, and I don't want them wet.  I just set them on top of the chest freezer for the night and will set them back out tomorrow if it's not raining.

• Like 4

Gazing around everywhere....trying to spy out CONTAINERS for gardening. 

MtRider   <_<  Currently it's snowing hard....3" already and supposed to snow all nite.  But I'm dreaming :lois:  

• Like 4

I bought more canning jar lids today. Gettem while they gottem and still affordable. I have a feeling they might go fast this summer with all the talk about gardens. This March I've bought more jars in two sizes, lids and another canner. Wal-Mart had good prices and free delivery over a certain amount. They were pretty fast delivery and well stocked. Most things arrived in less than a week. Pretty much on par with Amazon right now.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

CONTAINERS for gardening

We asked a rancher friend and he gave us 8 of his used mineral containers.  They're huge and hold a lot of soil and food.  We also bought 5 gallon buckets.  I planted one eggplant in each of the buckets and we had eggplant running out our ears (4 buckets).  Son loves eggplant so he was the beneficiary of our excess!

• Like 5

Repacked 45 lbs. of rice into mylar with O2 obsorbers and put in 5 gal. buckets. Then repacked the 11 lbs. of grits into mylar as well. Got all that into the buckets as well. Got the rest of the store bought can goods put away in hall closet. The potatoes I canned yesterday are sitting in box on bed. No where to put them yet.  Went through the seeds today.  Need some green pepper, eggplant, and one other I forgot what that was. Have them written down in kitchen though.  Ordered some heirloom seeds and they are on way now. Pulled some weeds in flower beds this afternoon. Didn't get as far on that as I wanted. Tomorrow is another day though. Will see how it goes if it doesn't rain again. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Can’t sleep. Again. :blink:

It’s been rainy here too. Good weather for a duck!  :duck1:  The rain is keeping me from doing early spring yard work. The yard is sloppy wet with mud and standing water even though we are on a hilltop. One of these days it will dry out enough that I can work soil and not make clay mud pies, or future bricks!

Meanwhile I am doing inside chores. Cleaning, re-cleaning what I cleaned the day before, and trying to keep ahead of the mud that creeps indoors on me and the dogs.  :dusting:The mud room doesn’t contain it well, though I have been sweeping and mopping daily. But that fine clay dries and turns to dust, and then it migrates. So, I have been dusting daily too. Grrrrr.

I sorted through some of our inventory. Want to order another 50 pounds of bread flour. 

I have to go into work for awhile later today. But it won’t take too long. On a normal work Sunday I would do some shopping while in town. Today, though, I plan to head straight back home, stopping only to top off the gas tank.

I may put sweet potatoes in the flower barrel out front this summer. It would be an easy way to expand production— it is a huge container. And this year potatoes may be more important than petunias. Sweet potato vines are pretty, so it won’t look too odd having them there. I have lots of flowers for the pollinators in flower beds, so they won’t miss the barrel flowers.

One of our sons lives in Chicago, another virus hot spot. The grandbaby is doing well. Son and DIL are both working from home. Thankfully they stocked up and are sheltering in place.

Guess I will see if I can get a little more sleep...  :offtobed:

Edited to add:

I cleaned out the fridge, removing everything that was getting old. All the past-good vegetable and dairy went into a stock pot on the back of the stove. Added water and cooked on low. I try to do this every week, for the chickens. It cuts down on the need for purchased feed, so what I have stored lasts a lot longer. Any past-good chicken gets cooked up for the dogs, which stretches their stored kibble. Not specifically a prep, but a way to stretch our preps.

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Like 7

Posted (edited)

A while ago I asked DH to pick up a bunch of onions ....while there wasn't a shortage.  Onion store well....but onions in this season, not so much.  My plan.....FINALLY enacted today....was to chop them up and put into the dehydrator.  Whoooooeeeee.  By the last two onions [big onions; one chopped fits on a tray]  I was beginning to falter.  Not cutting straight slices.  Chopping bits requires less precision.  Probably should have sharpened knife again but ...I was almost done.  At LAST I was done.  There was one tray left but just could not manage to stand and chop any longer.  :faint3:  I'll watch to see if any of the rest need to be processed.  Otherwise we'll use them fresh.  By day's end, I'll have a bunch of onions, compressed in size and easily stored for future use.  ...... :unsure:   and a house that smells like onions!  :shrug:  Warding off the virus, right?  ..or was that garlic?  :008Laughing:

MtRider  :pc_coffee:   resting now...  and hands shaking. 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 6

Fighting a toothache with antibiotics and steroids. May have to get a root canal on Tuesday. It's considered 'emergency visit' to the Endodontics clinic.  :imoksmiley:

We're working on the never ending remodeling of the kitchen. We have all the supplies and should be done within a month, about the time we can cease from being mushrooms and can come out of the cave.   :24:

I have over 500 seedling plants under lights and haven't even started the flowers for the honeybees. Both of our hives survived, and I did my usual reordering of nucs each Spring because we always end up with deadouts.  :imoksmiley: So we will have four hives by next month, and probably a swarm to deal with. I'm thinking God is telling us that we will have an overabundance of honey to share with all the neighbors around our homestead.  :cele:

• Like 8

Posted (edited)

Oh wow, Homesteader, that’s a lot of bees! Wish I was your neighbor! :happy0203:

Good luck with that tooth!

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Haha 1

Hope your tooth straightens up soon and feels better. That's a fear of mine. 1. The dentist and 2. Will there be any dumb brave enough to see me right now with this virus going around. I do have clove oil and whole cloves. I even got some clove chewing gum.

• Like 2

Clove oil is potent.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

chop them up

I use my Vidalia chopper...so much quicker.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ambergris said:

Clove oil is potent.

I mix it with liquid coconut oil.  Wonderful for getting rid of "thrush"...from drinking strange water when we went on vacation.  Hubby found that out a few years ago, and it works wonders.

• Like 3

We bagged 10 dozen eggs for our freezer.  We did that a couple of years ago when we found eggs in bulk.  Then roughed up one of our raised beds so we can plant potatoes tomorrow.  It's a 4x12 and we still have another 4x12 that we will work up.  We've let that bed rest now for 2 years and that soil is like black gold!  The earthworms were almost 3" long and as fat as a pencil!  

• Like 3