MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Cowgirl

What Have You Done Today to Prepare? Spring 2020 Version

I'm lazy so I spiralize onions with the spiralizer attachment to the mixer.  It basically chops them into long strips for you.  

• Like 2

Got one of the 4x12 raised beds planted with Russet's...3 rows with a few on the skirted side.  Then covered with my wire frames that I use for cucumbers and other climbers.  Hubby

cleared out the 2nd bed but it's going to need amending .  It's not nearly deep enough so we'll add som topsoil, some compost and a bit of Vermicullite and mix it well.  Most of the 'taters in that bed will be reds.

I cleaned up the pile of roots etc., that hubby was tossing out of the bed he was working on and put a lot of it in my composting barrels.  Pitched in some egg shells and banana peels in the first two.  Then gave them a watering.  The 3rd I'll have more to put in. 

• Like 1

Cowgirl, hope that tooth gets better. 

WE2 how do you freeze eggs?  I have never done it before. 

Went out and cleaned out another flower bed to use for a garden in front of house. Need to try to get those stumps out from the bushes I had cut down.  Grandson can't help me this time with a broken arm.  And still not sure if he was exposed to the virus or not. He was at the house watching movies with his friend before the friends father had the heart attack and then tested positive.  He has been staying at home now. 

DH can't muster up the energy yet to help in the garden again yet. He used muscles he forgot he had. Yep, he found them and very sore still from cleaning up one of the flower beds. 

Washed clothes today also.  And did some cleaning. Will be staying indoors tomorrow as we are going to get more rain and it will be turning cold again. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 3/29/2020 at 3:58 PM, Homesteader said:

Fighting a toothache with antibiotics and steroids. May have to get a root canal on Tuesday.

:pray:  for Homesteader's tooth issue to be quick and safe!  No extra microbes anywhere in the dentist's office.  Good results!  :pray:  

Today....I didn't get the onions out of the dehydrator.  Kinda forgot them. :buttercup:   I'll run it for an hour or so tomorrow to make sure they didn't pick up any dampness.  Then package them when they cool. 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 1

Easiest way to freeze eggs is to scramble them and freeze them in ice cube trays then pop them into a ziplock bag.  You can add a pinch of salt if needed.  You can also freeze larger scrambled batches, but then it is harder to pull out small amount of eggs. 

• Like 1

Euphrasyne, that's the way I used to do it too. Crack one egg in an ice cube tray then stir the egg to mix the white and yellow together with a chopstick, freeze, then pop them in a baggie. If I was doing it now, if probably seal the bag in the Food Saver for long term storage.

I have one of those ice cube trays with a cover. Not sure why. I was probably thinking about the eggs picking up freezer odor. It's a good way to store herbs too. 

• Like 2

I must have been really tired when I posted yesterday.   I said Cowgirl hope toothache is better but it is homesteader with the toothache.  Sorry about that.  

Homesteader I do hope your toothache gets better and you don't need that root canal. 

Looks like I am going to have to find some ice trays. I would like to buy up some more eggs and freeze them. I was thinking you had to cook them before freezing but now that I know you just mix the yoke and whites together and then freeze them, I am on board.  I do boil eggs and pickle them. But you can't use those for other things like baking and scrambled eggs. 

Today I have so far not done anything other than cleaning house. Lots of things I need to do but it is dreary outside and fixing to rain. Just don't have the energy today but think it is just this weather. I am ready for warmer days and sunshine. Wanted to work in flower beds some more but it keeps drizzling on and off. Guess I will just have to wait on that a bit now. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Sometimes I freeze up to 8 eggs in a baggie at a time with a large pinch of salt, but I always mark that for 'family scrambled egg breakfast.' (Fill baggie, freeze flat on a cookie sheet, then stack when frozen.)  You only have to do them individually if you want to use them a few at a time or for baking.    You can freeze the yolks and whites separately if you use them that way, but it is more effort and requires a specific amount of salt per volume.  I'd have to find my notecard which is …. somewhere.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Thanks 2

On 3/30/2020 at 9:02 PM, Littlesister said:

freeze eggs

I whip two up in a bowl and then hubby holds a sandwich snack bag (or Mother's Milk breast storage bags...which I bought at a yard sale really cheap) and then pour them in.  We place them upright in a large cake pan and then put them in the freezer.  Once they're frozen, then we take them out and put them in gallon size zip locks.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well all my onions are now in a quart canning jar, layered with two desiccant tiny bags.  Trays washed and back in dehydrator.  What else can I dehydrate?  Should do some of the carrots....we aren't eating them fresh fast enough. 

Wasted the last 3 bananas....on the banana bread.  Oven element frizzled out and attempting to "bake" quick bread on one of the Instant Pot settings ....fail.  :(  Hate to waste food any time but now, more than ever.  Should have poured them out as pancakes. 

MtRider  ....talked to my mom waaay too long tonite...  :offtobed:   No LEON tonite!  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Littlesister said:

I must have been really tired when I posted yesterday.   I said Cowgirl hope toothache is better but it is homesteader with the toothache.  Sorry about that.  

Homesteader I do hope your toothache gets better and you don't need that root canal. 

I postponed going to the oral surgeon. My concern is the exposure there as the virus is in the city. I'm allowed to minister to my mom's medical needs at the retirement center and needed to make a tough decision. I chose to help her and give encouragement to other residents in the center. They're all in their 80-90's. I'm on antibiotics and pray that the jaw will settle down or I can get in to the surgeon next week.  :imoksmiley:

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

My grandma used to chew on whole cloves when she had a toothache.They really do help to numb your mouth.  :hug3:

• Like 2

Made a store run early this morning to avoid the crowds. Found some max strength Tylenol. We had a one year supply at our old usage rate, but we go through it much faster since DH needs a knee replacement. We now have a safe supply. I had been having trouble finding it — it is apparently popular to stock up on now due to NSAIDs being bad with COVID-19. Also got a few more canned goods to fill in gaps from my recent inventory. I think we are pretty well situated so that I won’t have to venture out to a grocery store for awhile (I hope). 

Got the sweet potato starts ordered. I am going to try to grow a lot of them this year. Plan to build another bed to grow them, plus grow some in a large barrel. Healthy, good beta carotene source plus a starchy and filling food. And, they store well in a warm-ish dry place — they don’t need root cellar storage like some root crops. Our cool back bedroom will be perfect for that after they are cured.

• Like 2

Cowgirl, prayers for your DH's knee.  

I wanted to get more work done in the flower beds, but we had such a hard rain last night that now it is to muddy to work out there. I want to plant sweet potatoes on one side and have herbs in a section on other side with some other veggies but haven't decided what I want to plant on the other side other than herbs yet. DH is going to plant tomatoes on the side of house in that garden area and we are going to plant squash, green beans, green peppers and lettuce in the larger garden but not sure what else in that area yet. Still to early to plant for us but is getting closer to being able to plant soon. The new tiller should be here sometime this week. So hoping things dry out enough before it gets here to get more work done.

• Like 2

Got the 2nd raised bed planted with the potatoes.

• Like 3

Our ground just sucks and I haven't been able to convince hubby to build raised beds yet, but I have a pretty good container garden started and more to go in (just need to pick up more pots - scheduled for pickup online through Lowe's, so I should have them tomorrow.

• Like 4

Got some more seeds planted in my left over Jiffy pots from last year...they're sitting in a long container, watered and outside on one of the shelves of my little green house. Also pulled the umbrella stand with it's pots to the back as well as the green stalk type planter.  I'm planning to put spinach and lettuce in the green stalk container where I can keep it out of direct sunlight.

Taught myself to turn ground turkey into sausage crumbles. Next will be beef flavored crumbles.  But tomorrow it will be putting up the potatoes we bought.

• Like 3

I went to the store for what I hope will be the final time for at least the next couple of weeks. I got all the holes in my food supply filled in. I hope. I'll probably go for fresh food in two weeks if I feel like it's safe. If not then I can wait. I have plenty to do at home so I can stay occupied. 

Don't forget to start your vehicles if they have been sitting for awhile to keep the battery charged up. Especially if it's still cold where you !ive. Might want to take it around the block a few times to keep it charged. After sitting for two weeks mine was slow to crank and my battery is only a few months old. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today is going to be my last day in the office for a while.  I might pop back in as needed, but mostly just to pick up things & swap them out.

I have more big pots to plan my onions and potatoes and all the rest of my plants in.

I'll need to either make a trip to the store or order in some greens at the end of next week.  I go through a ton with my green smoothies and don't want to start hitting my freezer stash until absolutely necessary.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

READ CAREFULLY.....

In Maryland:

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/technically-youre-not-allowed-to-buy-gardening-or-painting-supplies-during-marylands-stay-at-home-order/65-e49bb9a8-b773-4f76-9fbf-6ce7c9a130a9

Quote from first link:

Not every "essential activity" was spelled out in the order, so WUSA9 asked Montgomery County officials to clarify:

Can you leave the house to buy paint to paint a bedroom?

Can you buy plants and seeds to garden at home?

County officials said, in short: no.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=

In Vermont:

https://www.eagletimes.com/covid_19/large-retailers-stop-in-person-sales-of-nonessential-items-in-vermont/article_c1d0e43c-7432-11ea-8ca9-a30ed891d9fd.html

Whenever possible, stores such as Walmart, Target and Costco must stop the sale of nonessential items and require online or telephone ordering, delivery and curbside pickup.  [includes gardening supplies]

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

So if you still have a lot of folks hanging out at stores in your areas.....it IS frustrating the Social Distancing effort.  So now...TPTB want all "non-essential" stuff to be only sold online or delivered to your door.  "STAY HOME" they are saying..... 

But just know:  you might have to order garden seeds from websites.....or a new rake or plumbing parts or whatever.  :shrug: 

MtRider  ....thankfully folks here at MrsS sent us all to the stores EARLY for seeds and such!  :grouphug: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mt_Rider said:

But just know:  you might have to order garden seeds from websites.....and an new rake or whatever.  :shrug: 

MtRider  ....thankfully folks here at MrsS sent us all to the stores EARLY for seeds and such!  :grouphug: 

I even have pumpkin seeds for in a few months!

Hubby is still insistent that everything is going to die before I even get the plants we bought re-planted in the big pots.  I told him thanks for letting me buy them anyways, and he said they'll be pretty while they last!

• Like 2

Yesterday, I cleaned windows, still have the ones in garage to do though. Those are a bit hard to get to.  Need to pull out ladder for those.  DH wanted to get out of house today, so we went to feed and seed while we still could buy our seeds. I have bought  a lot on line and I received those yesterday. We got some plants but DH was not ready to buy tomato and pepper plants yet. We are covered if we can't get the plants in a couple of weeks. I have seeds.  Bought another pressure cooker as well, so now I can do two batches at one time instead of having to do just 7 quarts of something I can now do 14 quarts at same time. DH still wants me to buy a double decker that I can stack the jars on top of each other but my stove with the hood range does not have that clearance I would need. he will have to pull out the old burner from shed and get new fittings as the fittings and propane tank is no longer usable.  Tank cannot be filled as it has the wrong type of fittings. Got another Mirro brand. 

DH did well with his walking.  He wore his gloves and mask and stayed away from everyone. They would only allow 10 people in at a time and asked that everyone keep their distance from each other. Though that was a bit hard to do with narrow isles and the green houses as well. But everyone did their best to keep distance.  They had the sneeze guards up at registers but the workers were not wearing gloves nor mask. I am going to check to see if I have what I need to make some mask.  All I have are the N95 mask. Which with DH I prefer them over a plain cloth one. 

I had ordered back the first of Feb. a couple of cans of long term milk and eggs. I had forgotten about them. They came today.  My order from leman's for the canning lids will be only the small sleeve of canning lids for now and the others are on back order.  Ordered some more Tattler lids also but are also on back order.  Got some more quart jars at the feed and seed as well today. Hoping I have enough to get me through the season this year. But want to keep trying to get some more jars for winter garden.  We haven't done a winter garden in a while but this winter it will start again. Just hope I can remember what I used to do. Hopefully like riding a bike, it will all come back to me. Yes it has been that long since we planted a winter garden.

Tomorrow I am going to get the 2 green houses set up as well as the cold frame box. Then going to start planting my seeds for garden. We need to make a Lowe's trip before they stop us from being able to go out for our potting soil and such. 

• Like 2

I picked up some seeds at Target when I was there a couple of days ago. I got cucumber, green onion and cherry tomatoes. I don't suppose I'll be in Indiana long enough to take care of a garden this year but I can save the seeds back for next year. They are just the hybrid ones. I'm saving my good heirloom seeds for when I can plant them and save them. I can live on cukes, toms and green onions in the summer. Mix with some Italian dressing or mixed in with some pasta. Our store sells Olive Garden salad dressing and I still have some unopened bottles of that. :yum3:

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Nothing...

Edited by The WE2's
  • Like 1

My new pressure canner and a retractable clothes line came yesterday.  I've been trying to convince DH to put up a line for me for years but he has kept dithering about it.  He finally gave in and all it needs is to be installed yea!  All of the seed craziness made me crazy, so we ran out and bought a few more plants.  I found a lovely blackberry, a raspberry, a few more strawberries to hang, some herbs, and another hydrangea for the front.  We also got some needed garden items and several *cough dozen cough*  bags of various types of garden dirt. We stopped at Aldi's on the way home and grabbed a few more missing items to round out the stock.  I'm lower on fruit than I'd like, but we have several producing peach trees,  strawberries planted, and I'm hoping the pear will give fruit this year.   The blueberry will take a few years before we get anything and since I'm just putting in the raspberry and blackberry I'm not expecting anything this year.  I wish we had a good source of apples.  

Today is going to be a lot of yard work for everyone.  

• Like 2