MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What Have You Done Today to Prepare? Spring 2020 Version

Stopped by CVS on the way home from work last night. Picked up Vitamins A, C, and D3. We will be taking extra of D and C, along with our mult-vitamins, for a bit to boost our immune systems, as an extra precaution. The A is to take if we feel the least bit sick, along with megadoses of C and D. Thanks for the links about immunity boosting! We are hoping to be strong enough to ward off this virus, as eventually most people will probably get it. That's why I love MrsS -- so much knowledge! Love y'all!

We have a supply of zinc lozenges, as part of my annual flu preps, but now I am not sure we have enough. I would like to have more. I couldn't find ANY for sale. At least CVS has sanitizing wipes for the carts and it isn't crowded. I don't feel at high risk when I go there. So I will check back for the zinc again another day.

Rainy day here, so not getting anything done outside. Trying to get a few things accomplished.

Started another flat of seeds. I save seed from year to year. Glad to have the seeds since I really don't want to venture out to buy them. 

Every time I hear someone cough in a store, I cringe. I hope to avoid crowded stores going forward, so that means no more ALDI's!!! That store is a mob scene from the moment its doors open in the morning and doesn't seem to let up until closing. There's not a time of day when it isn't crowded. The prices are much lower than other stores. But the risk to one's health is so much higher. The last time I went, I used one of our precious masks and gloves. The carts are unsanitized. Most customers aren't wearing masks. The crowding puts everyone way too close. And someone was coughing. I couldn't escape ALDI's fast enough! And I don't want to go back!! They had social distancing signs up. What a joke. They are too cheap to hire someone to limit customers from entering the store to avoid the over-crowding. Low overhead = low prices with high risk. No thanks.

I told my DH that when we run out of fresh food we will be living on preps for awhile, until we are past the pandemic peak. I just don't want to risk any more coughing crowds. It isn't worth it.

Mixed up some more disinfectant spray with bleach and water. Cheap and effective. Bought a new sturdy spray bottle a few months ago -- glad I did. We have several spray bottles as back up, in case one breaks.

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Like 3

My family used to tease me that I ordered yearly seeds at the beginning of each year when the seed catalogs came out. The Excel spreadsheet keeps everything rotating and shortages coming to the top. They aren't teasing me anymore as I start hardening off my babies.    :hapydancsmil:

P1040669.JPG

• Like 6

I'm the same way Cowgirl. Right now the smaller stores seem safer and usually better stocked. Another thing about the bigger stores I've suddenly noticed, is you have to pass by other people in the aisles who may be stopped looking at products. That certainly isn't a six foot safety distance. I cringe when I hear someone coughing too. Even if it's way on the other side of the store. 

Oh, I need to put heavier spray bottles on my shopping list I have ongoing. Good time to get them in the garden area. I'll probably get them at the nursery. Likely more expensive but probably not too much more. Pick your poison, huh.

I wish I had a green thumb. I kill everythinng. Usually by drowning. If I don't kill them that way then I under water them by trying not to drown them. And that's with mature plants. Forget about seedlings in my 'care'. They go from seeds to spindles to el morte. 

• Like 2

Im FURIOUS at the powers that be closing down gardening areas of stores as "non critical"  ....WTF are folks supposed to DO when they are sitting at home.  Working a garden would make sense, but nobody can buy seeds or transplants at WM anymore and I am seeing more and more info that other places are following suit.  We are so glad we got our stuff early, the garden is in, but we will have to watch our garden if produce shortages start popping up.  Heck, can't even find canning jars easily any more, and have been dehydrating more as a way to save jars.  I feel sorry for newbies - they must be darn near panicked.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Problem is much of the U.S. is still under snow or its too cold yet to plant outside. For another thing, most of the shopping at nurseries is done outside. I think nurseries are vital. Another way to keep us dependant or to shut down a small business?  :shrug:

While I'm at it, all of the bigger stores have had to cut back on their hours of operation. So now more people crowd into one place between certain limited hours than ever before. I used to shop very late at night or very early morning hours at the 24 hour stores to avoid crowds. Now if I want to shop I have to go when everyone else is panic buying with cart loads while I stand in line waiting with the masses. The shopping population was much more sparse when there were more hours to shop.

Imagine how much the 24 hour stores are now saving in overhead. Fewer cashiers to pay and not as much electricity being used. I know they have cut back on the floor people because the last time I was in Wal-Mart I kept hearing a call for help in the material aisle and for baby formula. It was happening very often because there were no 'associates' on the floor to help. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, kappydell said:

Im FURIOUS at the powers that be closing down gardening areas of stores as "non critical"  ....WTF are folks supposed to DO when they are sitting at home.  Working a garden would make sense, but nobody can buy seeds or transplants at WM anymore and I am seeing more and more info that other places are following suit.  We are so glad we got our stuff early, the garden is in, but we will have to watch our garden if produce shortages start popping up.  Heck, can't even find canning jars easily any more, and have been dehydrating more as a way to save jars.  I feel sorry for newbies - they must be darn near panicked.

If the powers are trying to control the food to control the people   :shrug:, then it fits exactly into their plans.   :behindsofa:

• Like 4

For the past few weeks I have been working on getting my preps back where they need to be. We have had three extra people here at the house during the quarantine and I wasn't quite ready for more than the three of us. My poor dehydrator is going almost non-stop, but the jars are filling as are the shelves. My garden is taking off with tomatoes, beans, peppers, squash, mint, rosemary and basil and I am going to get some pumpkins  in the ground as well as some corn as soon as I get time. Yesterday I went and  bought two packs of lard that I am planning on canning and I have some whole wheat berries sitting at the PO waiting for pickup tomorrow. The wheat will be going into mylar bags with o2 absorbers and then into buckets. We recently got some cattle; a mama with her 4 month old baby, and two calves, one a Holstein and the other a registered Charolais. They are our herd for breeding. We will be getting a bull next year when all the calves grow up and can be bred. My chicken flock has increased to 23. I have 12 6 week old chicks in that total and 9 layers. One of my hens is handicapped and doesn't lay, but I can't bring myself to cull her, so she lives in her own pen with another handicapped hen and one good one that is the guard. The other 7 big girls live in another enclosure with the rooster. He's kind of a jerk to a couple of the girls, but he's a good guard so he gets to live. 

The Girls.jpg

• Like 5

So far the garden centers here are still open. But if they are closing in other states then it is only a matter of time before they close here.  We have now got everything we need for the garden, just have to get busy on it. That starts tomorrow if weather holds out. 

Welcome Momof5inTX,   Sounds like you have it altogether.  Love the cows.  Wish my grandparents homestead didn't go commercial.  I was thinking about buying it. To much has grown up around there now. Worse than where we are now. And it is getting really bad here. 

I keep saying one day I will be back in the country. But at my age, I am thinking that might be a pipe dream.  But you never know. Might have some chickens but not cows. I think chickens would be all I could handle. 

• Like 2

The garden center closings keep freaking us out, so yesterday DH went to home depot and bought the chainsaw he has been eyeballing.  Since DD16 finally picked out a color, he bought 2 gallons of paint and came home with sample colors for the nursery.  (DD16 is moving to the downstairs bedroom which is currently very dark southwestern red from when we moved in and her current upstairs room is becoming the nursery.)   

DH drank almost all of his stocked soda, so he made a Kroger run while he was out and we filled a few more holes.  We used the last of the Kroger gift cards from turning in his Best Western hotel points (he had a lot from work travel.)  I ordered a bunch of restaurant sized spices off Amazon on Saturday and some of them actually showed up yesterday.  Apparently several pounds of peppercorns are in stock and priority.  The rest all have reasonable ship / arrival dates showing.  

Our anniversary was Saturday and I got a robot vacuum mop that is amazing.  My floors look much nicer.  Having everyone home and tramping over them all day was breaking my back.   I named my robot Fuzzbuster and he is terrorizing the cats and amusing the children.  It even has a phone app where I can turn it on and off by pressing a button on my phone.  I'm praying that the power does not go out for multiple reasons now.  

Today I have to deal with the freezer.  The dry goods are meticulously organized, but the freezers are a hot mess and I'm not certain how many pounds of chicken I even have in there right now.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 6

Happy Anniversary,  Euphrasyne.  

We have finished with the garden centers now I hope.  Went through the seeds today to figure out what we have and where to plant what.  Tomorrow we are going to get the tiller put together. We ordered it on line but need to put the handle together and attach it to the main part of the tiller. 

Checked my stash of canning jars and I am now good on those. Found 2 cases of pint jars in the loft of the shed. Don't know how they got up there but will pull those down soon.  

Wanted to get the top soil that DH bought put down to raise the garden up a bit but DH wasn't feeling like doing much today so it can wait a bit longer. Though now we are going to have rain maybe tonight and tomorrow. But still to early to plant yet anyway. But do want to get the gardens cleaned out more and have them ready. 

• Like 2

I made it to the grocery store where my pharmacy is. I took the opportunity to get a few more fresh fruit and veggies and just a few other items.

Hardly anyone wore a mask. Only the cashiers wore gloves but no mask. They do have the Plexiglas shields up at the registers though, I saw a couple of elderly people with a mask covering their mouth but not their nose. Sigh. I wish more masks were available Maybe more people would wear them.

What floored me the most were the shelves. They were half empty and what was there was spaced out as well as they could. Still a lot of holes and vast empty spaces. Mostly the canned food was nearly gone.This is the worst I've ever seen it. Could just be from weekend shoppers. I have a feeling that isn't the case though. At 4:00pm the store was pretty empty. I noticed there was no toilet paper again. They did have some canning jars and lids. I didn't get any as I'm pretty well stocked in that area. l just had one of those little carts so no major shopping. Come to think of it, most people just had a few items in their cart. If I need more jars I'll order from Wal-Mart. Right now they are cheaper and delivered faster than Amazon. Plus I can get the Kerr jars.

I picked up a bottle of that "Provolone Iodine" I don't remember what it's called. That's the closest I can come to naming it. There was two bottles but they had different labels and one felt sticky so I passed on one. I think I remember seeing it at Target a week ago.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Jeepers said:

I picked up a bottle of that "Provolone Iodine" I don't remember what it's called. That's the closest I can come to naming it. There was two bottles but they had different labels and one felt sticky so I passed on one. I think I remember seeing it at Target a week ago.

Povidone iodine.  No cheese involved. 

Reminds me of the time I asked Mom where they'd have euthanasia at the grocery store.  Apparently, that's not an alternate name for echinacea.  :24:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Cowgirl, you ain't lived until Kindle autocorrect gets a hold of your keyboard. Not only corrects your spelling but changes correctly spelled words to another word it likes better. 

But this time it was me. I've never heard of...that word TheCG typed. So I just put in the only word I knew that sounded/looked like it. 

TheCG, if you find some of that "euthanasia' in the grocery aisle, could you point me in the right direction? It could have come in handy a few times here. I'm just saying. Oh and, "I'm asking for a friend!" Not for me. :wink(2):

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We are now having a bad storm.  heavy rain, lighting, thunder.  Fun!!  We just finished up getting things put away 5 minutes before it hit. 

Today I got the greenhouse put together, but only one. China instructions.  the usual basic look at the pretty picture and you figure it out. Took awhile but I got it together.  Then DH came out to help me go though seeds for planting. We now have several things planted in pots to be put in greenhouse  hopefully tomorrow morning. We have to tie the greenhouse down but have figured out where to put it now. Then I can move the seeds to the greenhouse and get them out of garage. Still need to get the handle attached to tiller. That will be DH's job with my help. If he does better tomorrow than today. His knee kept giving out on him today. So balance was bad all day. But he did what he could do. So I'm happy with that. We bought a tiller that I can run. It is electric and not used to the electric stuff, but I can't pull the rope to start a gas one and nether can he. We just don't have that kind of strength any longer. Though the push lawnmower that we are keeping is battery operated and gas. Battery is for the key start. Makes it so nice. But we haven't used it in 2 years. need to plug up and charge the battery.  We have someone cutting our grass now but still nice to have that backup. Like now as our Lawn guy has Coronavirus.  He is a firefighter and several have come down with it. :pray: that he and his fellow workers get through this mess. 

I have done no work in house today, so tomorrow will be catchup day as well as getting the greenhouse situated and the seeds we just planted in there. Got to hook the well pump back up also. Seems it is never ending around here. 

Homesteader I love your seedlings. Our seeds just got planted today. So got a couple of weeks before we see results coming up. 

• Like 1

Pea sized hail here.  We had to rush outside and bring in a few things like lettuce that were in containers.  DD16 excitedly told me, 'Its like we are in a movie!'  My sunroom and front entrance are full of giant plant buckets.  

I had an OB appointment with ultrasound and the baby is doing fine.  So...while we were out....more stuffs for the larder.  I'm so sick of leaving the house.  Its completely crazy out there.  On the plus side, spiral ham was .98 a pound so I got a big one.  On the down side, DH had to plug in the RV electric for the fridge so I can stuff said ham into that freezer tomorrow.  It wouldn't be so bad, but two months ago,  I'd purchased some bulk boxes of frozen dinners for DH to take to work for lunch and a few convenience meals so I could be pregnant, tired, and lazy.  They take up a lot more room than just meat or veg.  I told everyone that we are having freezer meals for the next week or two so I can make room for plain meat.  

Today we have to drag all the plants back outside and then nothing much else will get done since DD11 turns into DD12 today and I have to bake a cake and make a special Peanut Chicken meal.  

• Like 5

Glad to hear good results on OB appt. Euphrasyne!!!!  :amen: 

DH did his every 2 wks shopping for us/folks.  Had to get their meds too.  Next time he'll grab his 'scripts...one wasn't ready this time.   Get nervous over meds from China not being available.  :buttercup:   Like that was ever a good idea! 

Sanitized everything coming into the house from that trip....including DH.  :lol: 

Got my seed starting "table" set up in basement....after hours of clearing the area.  In the process, got 7 waterman-type jugs sanitized but not filled.  No room for them anywhere ...but maybe after we get more space cleared.  Need to start seeds soon.  But the oven repair comes before that with my energy.  :gaah:  Need more energy hours! 

MtRider  :dusting:  .........  <_<     dusting down in MY basement is not like that cheery yellow person.  More like :ph34r::animal0017:COUGH!!

• Like 5

Baked a ham yesterday and put in freezer--6 snack size bags for add ins (thanks Kappy!  I hadn't been doing small packages)--5 quart bags 4 meals and one ham bone.  That's a lot of meals for 2 people!  

Going to put dirt in a few lick tubs to grow lettuce.  

• Like 3
On 4/4/2020 at 11:02 AM, Cowgirl said:

Every time I hear someone cough in a store, I cringe. I hope to avoid crowded stores going forward, so that means no more ALDI's!!! That store is a mob scene from the moment its doors open in the morning and doesn't seem to let up until closing. There's not a time of day when it isn't crowded. The prices are much lower than other stores. But the risk to one's health is so much higher. The last time I went, I used one of our precious masks and gloves. The carts are unsanitized. Most customers aren't wearing masks. The crowding puts everyone way too close. And someone was coughing. I couldn't escape ALDI's fast enough! And I don't want to go back!! They had social distancing signs up. What a joke. They are too cheap to hire someone to limit customers from entering the store to avoid the over-crowding. Low overhead = low prices with high risk. No thanks.

SO, almost exactly in answer to this complaint, I learned today that ALDI'S is implementing COVID-19 policies: an employee will stand at the entrance and limit people entering the store. They will allow one person per 5000 square feet, admitting another only when one leaves. Aisles will be one way to avoid having to pass other customers. They will sanitize carts. So maybe it is worth going back for produce - our garden won't be producing for awhile yet.

• Like 3