MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What Have You Done Today to Prepare? Spring 2020 Version

Stores here are also starting the one way on the isles.  It is a great idea. But there will still be people that won't follow the rules.  I keep praying for this to be over. But I think we have a long way to go.  I am not counting on hot summers to get rid of this. It might slow it down a bit but that is about all. 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gosh, it's been so long since I was here!  What have we done in the last year? Lots!  We were briefly completely debt free, bought a nice rural property for cash and moved even farther out into rural

DH and I are still going thru the dark, hidden reaches of ....the basement!     Tragically, when the system of rotation fell apart, a lot of food was waaaay back there.  Well, that stuff is going out

Fighting a toothache with antibiotics and steroids. May have to get a root canal on Tuesday. It's considered 'emergency visit' to the Endodontics clinic.    We're working on the never ending

Posted Images

Our Aldi is in a smaller town so no problem with too many people. Yesterday, I stopped near the end of the day. One of the clerks was washing down each of the carts and we didn't have to donate a quarter. If the cart was washed, it was out of the rack and ready to take inside. Neat idea. :thumbs:  I found many of the items were limited to 2 or 3 each. Flour was limit of two. Oil was limit of two, etc. No toilet paper but did other paper products. The shoppers were very polite and kept their distance, except for one young lady. She had her cart in the middle of the aisle and yakking on her phone. Totally oblivious to the real world. Very rude. I sort of nudged her cart (gentler than what I was thinking of doing), and she got the idea. Sometimes I wish the virus would take out the brainless and idiots.  :gaah:  Sort of biologically sifting through the DNA and eliminating anything unnecessary. :0327:

• Haha 2

I hate when someone blocks a grocery aisle and just stand there. I yell, "Excuse me." It gets a lot of attention from a few aisles over. I dont care. I did say excuse me.

I did get some good news today though. My DIL can work from home Tue - Fri. She will only have to go in on Mondays now.

Son is working mostly half days, they go in and do the most important calls then go home and wait for emergency calls to come in, they share. Rotate the jobs.

• Like 2

Took in some sunshine.....while we can.  Vit D!  Up to 65* the past two days.  EAster Sunday.....will drop quite possibly to subzero.  :frozen:  With several inches of snow.  This is when living here gets :cheeky-smiley-067:  Get out your shorts.....er, snowsuit....well now, jeans might work???  :gaah:  

Not sure folks around here will be able to go to church in their cars.....listening to FM broadcast of their pastors and music.  Pretty sure pastors are not going to be outside with the microphone.  Not THIS Easter!  But :amen:  anyway! 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 2

I ordered 2 more cases of pint jars and 2 more cases of half pints. I forgot that each new jar comes with a new lid so I'm doubly ready with the lids this summer. 

Son installed a ceiling fan in his living room. He had to go in the attic and drill through the ceiling to make a connection.It wasn't easy but he got it done. They desperately needed more light in there. Part of his thinking was if things get too tight, they can run the ceiling fan instead of the air conditioner. Or Plan B... Go out to moms. They are welcome as long as they bring 'the short one'. ;)

Forgot to add that I ordered two gaskets and plug sets for the canners. I have two...in Indiana so I'm pretty sure I'm set for life on the canning supplies. 

Edited by Jeepers
Added Info
  • Like 4

Got the rider mower running today. Neighbor kid came over to help put in a new battery I’d bought. I hurt my knee this week. So now I am wearing a knee brace and using a cane. That’s why I needed to get some help. 

Which brings up the prep aspect of this situation, a sort of cautionary tale. When you are stocking up on OTC meds, quadruple your estimated usage. At least. Because even though you typically only use a certain amount over a month, a year, etc., one injury or illness can blow through that typical usage rate in a quarter or a fifth of that time. And if TWO people end up hurt, you are going through the meds eight to ten times faster. Thankfully I recently significantly increased our acetaminophen supply. But we are sure going through it this week!!! 

Went through my seedlings today and thinned the flats a bit. I seeded a bit heavily because some of the seeds are old. But the germination rate was really good, so it wasn’t necessary. Extra seedlings became chicken treats.

I am doing LOTS of runner beans this year. I always grow some because they are pretty, tasty, and draw in hummingbirds. It dawned on me, though, that having vegetables growing in places other than the garden is a particularly good idea NOW, with possible food shortages in our future. Not everyone would recognize runner beans as a food crop. I am going to put them in several areas, such as in a bed along our fence line, where I also grow sunflowers (high protein seeds). And a flower barrel out front will be full of sweet potatoes. Stealth food. Just in case.

• Like 6
5 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

Which brings up the prep aspect of this situation, a sort of cautionary tale. When you are stocking up on OTC meds, quadruple your estimated usage. At least. Because even though you typically only use a certain amount over a month, a year, etc., one injury or illness can blow through that typical usage rate in a quarter or a fifth of that time. And if TWO people end up hurt, you are going through the meds eight to ten times faster. Thankfully I recently significantly increased our acetaminophen supply. But we are sure going through it this week!!! 

Sorry you injured your knee!  Ack....the timing isn't good.  :( 

What you say about illness/injury multiplying need is what we based on early this year too.  DH actually thot of how much we had to replenish from everything that hit us both in January.  I was still trying to get rid of bronchitis.  So we hit the OTC meds, etc early....before the rush.  Then stocked up on things to eat when both are too sick to want to cook.  THEN we got more usual prep stuff.  Now very thankful for that shopping run....hoping we don't have to use that stuff but...

DH made a second run to town.  Got the prescriptions that weren't ready on Tues.  Now he's set.  Also got my folks more things cuz he was right at the grocery.   AND mailed their bills for them.  We're all good for a few wks...longer if necessary.  He wore mask and shed outta clothes when he got home.  :whistling:  Also got me couple more bags of dark chocolate kisses.  Without dairy, those are something I can use for chocolate fix.  I'm rationing them....now I have two more months of chocolate rations.  :wub:  

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 5

Good reasoning Cowgirl. I remember Mt. Rider saying a similar things about bandages after her DD had an accident.

Mt.Rider, a similar thing happened to me around January too. I had a stomach virus that lasted forever and left me weak for a couple of months. I really stocked up on comfort food and easy to prepare foods. Now I'm glad I did. I also rediscovered my love for Jell-o. I'm still eating a lot of that. 

Ya know, now that I think about it, most of my good fortune comes from dumb luck. 

• Like 3

ETA: It looks like I was wrong about acetaminophen. It is ibuprofen that you should be cautious about using:

So while you might usually reach for Advil and Motrin to treat a headache or a fever, things are a little more complicated in this current pandemic. More research is needed into whether Advil or Motrin can make COVID-19 worse. While there is no hard scientific evidence to suggest they do, many experts are staying cautious and avoiding these medications if possible, preferring the safer drug acetaminophen (Tylenol) as a first-choice treatment for fever and aches. 

https://www.goodrx.com/blog/are-advil-motrin-tylenol-bad-for-coronavirus-symptoms/

Then there is this from Nebraska Medicine:

Do ibuprofen – or other anti-inflammatory medications – make COVID-19 symptoms worse?

There is not enough evidence at this time to definitively say nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs like ibuprofen, aspirin or naproxen) make COVID-19 symptoms worse. You can continue taking anti-inflammatory medications or acetaminophen to control a fever.  

https://www.nebraskamed.com/patients/covid19/symptoms-treatment

and finally..............

UK: Acetaminophen Better for Some, but Not Necessarily Due to COVID-19

UK experts agree that acetaminophen is a preferable choice over NSAIDs in those at risk for COVID-19 because of the known safety reasons.

"There is a good reason to avoid ibuprofen as it may exacerbate acute kidney injury brought on by any severe illness, including severe COVID-19 disease," Rupert Beale, MB, PhD, group leader in cell biology of infection at the Francis Crick Institute, London, UK, told the UK Science Media Center. But he added, "There isn't yet any widely accepted additional reason to avoid it for COVID-19."

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200318/coronavirus-nsaids-experts

------------------------------------

Original Reply

On 4/10/2020 at 12:10 PM, Cowgirl said:

Thankfully I recently significantly increased our acetaminophen supply.

Be very cautious about using that to relieve any fever you might develop. IF the fever is a symptom of COVID the latest info is to NOT USE acetaminophen. I'll try to find that article again. :/

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Nah, Jeepers.  Not dumb luck.  God is watching over all of us.....giving us data and love.  Those of us who look for these things, get to benefit from what is out there for all.  Learn even from misfortune and illness.  Apply knowledge the next time.......except some of us keep FORGETTING too many things we once knew.   :buttercup:  

I saw that too, Midnight.  Looks like they don't really KNOW FOR SURE.  :shrug: 

To prepare today.... DH and I FIXED THE STOVE OURSELVES.  :curtsey:    Replacing the oven element ourselves means B/J didn't have to risk coming here.....and we didn't have to risk them bringing whatever to our house.  They and we are both pleased!!!  :amen:   The procedure was simple to remove the old and install the old.  Only Two Screws.  ........... <_<   .........  SIMPLE DOES NOT NECESSARILY MEAN EASY!!!!  :0327:  I'll put that story in Watcha Doing.  Something about BOTH of us crawling practically inside the oven to get those danged screws tightened!  

But having oven back means we can make bread and other homemade things.....without digging a hole for the Dutch oven to bake things.  DH is thrilled to have oven back!  Make kim ......er, toasted sea weed sheets, heated up rice, baked fish....for a quick supper tonite.  :yum3:  I was so starved I ate some of it standing at the stove.  Well....didn't want the veggie liquid to soak the toasted kim...sea weed if I put both on my plate. 

MtRider   :offtobed:    .....this is gonna hurt tomorrow!  But it's DONE! 

• Like 5
11 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Nah, Jeepers.  Not dumb luck.  God is watching over all of us.....giving us data and love.  Those of us who look for these things, get to benefit from what is out there for all.  Learn even from misfortune and illness.  Apply knowledge the next time.......except some of us keep FORGETTING too many things we once knew.   :buttercup:  

:amen:  friend!   :hug3:

• Like 1

Harvested the potatoes a month early.  :(  Wasn't watching them because wasn't walking by them every day to go to the car.  They dried out and stressed enough to send out the distress signals for the bugs to home in on.  Sigh.

"Oh, no.  Not another learning experience."

• Sad 5

Well, my computer must have been hungry because I think it ate my post.

It is official my hours have been cut at work. I am only getting 30 hours a week now instead of 40. So I am spending the extra time at home preparing a container garden again. Since we have a small patio I am only going to be able to supplement our food purchases Won't have enough room to really stock the freezer or pantry.

So far I have plants for 2 jalapeno pepper plants, two squash, two zucchini, cucumber, and lettuce/spinach. Going to try potatoes in a potato bag, we will see. Also thinking about pole beans and running them up a net. It will help shade the patio. Found some really neat containers to use, https://youtu.be/k429cPlH6mM can't wait to try this. Think I will end up using totes instead of the round bins they use.

Now just to inventory my seeds and purchase some starter plants for the tomatoes and peppers. To late in the year to do starter trays. Kicking myself for not doing starter trays. But hey live and learn. 

• Like 6

Mommato3boys, even if you can't grow enough food to 'put up' anything you grow and eat fresh will save on the pantry food you would have had to eat. I've only grown bush beans because I was intimidated by making a pole or trellis. But, I've heard that pole beans make more beans than the bush ones.

I looked up the canner I bought on Amazon last month. It's a 23 qt. Presto. I paid $75.00 for it. Now it's only sold by a third party for $150.00. I guess Amazon sold out of them. I had a feeling...  Let the gouging begin.  :(

If you want lids better think ahead before the gardens come in. JMO

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I bought a 23qt presto off amazon about 3 weeks back for $89 after I sent DD 23 in PA my smaller canner.  Also, tomatoes do very well in containers.  

DD16 hung out my sheets on my new clothesline and it worked beautifully without too much sag on the heavy blanket.  

Yesterday I made easter dinner and managed to harvest all the herbs I needed from my garden.   I also had plenty of roses for cut flowers to put on the table and I got a handful of strawberries to slice and serve.  The peach trees are full of baby peaches and I thinned them a bit so we will actually get a few good sized ones.  We are very happy with the way the garden is coming along this year.    DH finished clearing out the front flower bed and put in weed cloth (we got a giant industrial sized roll for $5 at a garage sale last summer from someone who had just finished a project.)  He planted the hydrangeas in the bed and put down some mulch.  He miscalculated the area, so there will be another trip to the store for mulch.

I'm debating on staying home and safe or going with DH for mulch.  If we are out anyway, I can have him run me out to the Indian Grocery in VB where I can get more rice, beans and some chickpea flour.  DH told me he thought we were done stocking provisions, and we had a long discussion on what need was.  No we don't 'need' them, but if we are stocking for 'x' amount of time, then I do not have enough to last that long.  I have enough long term to last quite a while, but if we have to only live off it or go through the more short term, its going to get mighty repetitive and a bit carby for me.  The contention was that he didn't think we needed to stock much past September, but that is when the baby is due and there is no way I'm going to feel like dealing with inventory then.  I have a few veg, fruit, and condiment holes that I'd like to fill so that I don't have to worry about anything until next January.  Hopefully the garden will fill a few of those, but I'd rather stock a bit more while I can.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 6

And to think I almost gave my daughter-in-law my canner. So glad I didn't now. I bought mine on clearance at Wal-Mart 4 years ago (Presto 23 quart)  for $60, and water bath canner for $25. Scared now to see how much jars and lids are going to go for. :faint3:

• Like 5
15 hours ago, Jeepers said:

If you want lids better think ahead before the gardens come in. JMO

1 hour ago, mommato3boys said:

Scared now to see how much jars and lids are going to go for. 

I was at Walmart at the beginning of the month and picked up 5 boxes of the pint size lids at the "normal" (pre-covid) price. Will probably do the same in May. Hopefully, they will still be a decent price.   :shopping: :canning:

• Like 3

We have been without current since 7:30 this morning. It went off about an hour before that and came back on for about 15 minutes and went back off for the day. It came back on just before 6 pm.  Several trees so I heard took out the lines. So no cable and no internet all day.  We have whole house generator but that doesn't help with internet and cable. Charter was down, which puts us out of service.  So with having the generator, I was able to wash clothes and sheets as well.  We put on some good music and DH played solitaire on computer as you don't need internet for that.  And then after I got what I wanted to do done, I sat down and read both Bible and a book I had started reading.  We had high winds early this morning but it died down as the day went on. Only got .5 tenths of an inch of rain but more coming this week along with colder weather. Had the windows open all day to air out house. It has been in the low 80's here today. Warm but low humidity.  I can handle warm as long as the humidity stays low.  The loss of current was wide spread. 

Got my canning lids the other day from Leman's.  So I am now good on both jars and both sizes of lids. Though the tattler lids are still on back order. 

Got the roots from the bushes out Saturday morning and now it is to wet to get the flower beds cleaned out so I can start planting.  With more rain on the way on Wed. I don't know when I will get them cleaned out. No rain tomorrow, so hoping it will be dry enough to get them cleaned up and ready for planting next week. 

• Like 2

Good thing you pre-ordered your lids Littlesister.  As of a day ago Lehman's was still out of lids. They must have filled all of their pre-orders first and are now back-ordered again. They are located in the middle of the world's largest Amish community so of course they sell a ton of them normally.

Gosh, it's been so long since I was here!  What have we done in the last year? Lots!  We were briefly completely debt free, bought a nice rural property for cash and moved even farther out into rural east Tx onto 5 fenced acres, recovered DH from his TIA in July, that put us into debt from the chopper ride, sadly.

This spring,hmm, bought 6 more baby chicks for dd1 to bring her flock to 20.  We're getting about 8-10 eggs/day from the 14 adult hens.  Bought 9 blueberry bushes and planted them, along with 4 elderberry plants.  Refurbished my old magic mill grinder and brought all our food buckets home from the storage unit, DJ got a month paid leave from work for being on a high risk group for covid19, so he has been cleaning up the workshop, and firing up our reloading set up.

And on the not so successful side of things, I decided to have knee surgery, in an attempt to stave off the knee replacement, but it got put off for covid19. Then, in the wee hours of Easter Sunday, I managed to wrench my good knee and cause a meniscus tear, so I am really hobbling around now.  I get mri on that injury this week or next, and possible surgery asap.  I have to have that knee strong enough and pain free if possible before I do the replacement on the other knee.  And this Thursday I start the workup on the bad knee for surgical replacement. That just means I go meet the surgeon and his crew and they look over the files and we yak about my lifestyle, expectations and knees.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

Went to the oral surgeon and endured a root canal, yesterday. After all the pain I've been in, I was ready. I even waited an extra 5 days so I could get the same doctor as last time. Bad mistake.  :imoksmiley: I am one who will wait in line so that others can get scheduled for THEIR emergency. Each surgeon is only in ONCE A WEEK.   :ph34r:

The clinic was empty except for three people ... doc, asst, and receptionist. I walked right in and was treated like a queen even though I felt like a chick run over by a Mack truck. The surgery was painful but worth it. The tooth nerve was dead and the surround tissue was attacking it. He couldn't detect infection, but I'd just come off of antibiotics.

On my way out, with a sore mouth and empty checkbook I asked about other patients. They said that I was the only one scheduled for that day.  :0327:  On my way out of the office, I did have a long talk with the receptionist who had been totally brain washed by MSM.   :grinning-smiley-044:

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

Hello Vic and welcome back.

Haven't done anything today to prepare for the garden. DH not feeling well and he just went to bed. He really isn't going to sleep, just laying in bed watching TV. Though he will be asleep within the hour. 

Talked with my granddaughter in Washington State earlier today. She is trying to get an area ready to plant her garden.. She already has a lot of stuff she started from seed to get planted and now she is running a race to get the yard ready. Her DH as it turned out had the regular flu and not the coronavirus like they first thought. He went back to work yesterday.  The Naval hosp. is talking of having a weekly rotating shift of one week off and one week on. They would still get their full pay, so that is good. Granddaughter got through to get unemployment and her first check comes next week. That will help them and I won't have to keep mailing packages to keep them on their feet. My daughter sent her some cleaning items also. So hopefully that will hold them till the stores start restocking things. She is wanting to learn to can food now also. 

• Like 7