MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

IRS says you DON'T have to FILE on 4/15...pay later - check for yourself!

Just a clarification since we were talking about taxes being put off until July 15th. 

You have to still FILE taxes by April 15th....but can defer paying anything owed til July. 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-is-delaying-tax-payments-but-you-still-have-to-file-by-april-15-163423133.html

Some of you probably already understood this.  I just figured it out tho DH was already finishing ours off this morning.  This is why HE does them....me and numbers, y'know.  :buttercup: 

SERIOUSLY FOLKS....CHECK FOR YOURSELF.  There is a lot of confusing messages on this! 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

Edited by Mt_Rider
more data...conflicting...
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When all else fails go to the source..:)   I just went to the Internal Recenue Service web site and this is what I found.

WASHINGTON — The Treasury Department and Internal Revenue Service announced today that the federal income tax filing due date is automatically extended from April 15, 2020, to July 15, 2020

There is also info about tax changes there in case anyone is interested.  

:grouphug:

• Like 3

REALLY?  Sheeesh, thanks Mother.  But...... :scratchhead:  They'd better clear that up....VERY CLEAR. 

Only the headline was clear...and wrong?:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

“If you owe a payment to the IRS, you can defer up to $1 million as an individual,” said Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin, adding that the payments would be “interest free and penalty free for 90 days.”

“All you have to do is file your taxes; you’ll automatically not get charged interest in penalties,” Mnuchin said during a coronavirus briefing with President Trump looking on.?"

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Texas Congressman Kevin Brady, the ranking Republican on the House Ways and Means Committee, made that clear in a press release: “Taxpayers should file by April 15 as normal and the deferral will be applied automatically.”

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

On Monday, Congressman Tom Suozzi, a Democrat who represents parts of Long Island and Queens, followed up in a statement. “I am now calling on the Treasury Secretary Mnuchin and IRS Commissioner Rettig to extend the deadline to file tax returns,” they added, saying we need to ensure financial security “by giving people the extra resources they need during this difficult time.”

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-

Yes, quite confusing.  Anyway, DH sent ours today.  All done and refund coming ....eventually. 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Our taxes went out the end of last month and usually we are quick to get our refund. We are still waiting this time. Think it will be a while before we see any refunds coming.  I could use that money now so I can add it to my emergency funds.

You are welcome MtR.  I only wish I could find something as direct for the Illinois tax due date.  You need to have your federal taxes done before you file Illinois forms yet so far I can't find anything on the Illinois Internal Revenue site where it directly says that the date has also been changed.  :gaah:

• Sad 1