MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Good News - There’s Hope

DH has been a semi-invalid since last September. We have been to so many different doctors and surgeons with the various referrals that I have now lost count. We were recently referred to an out-of-network surgeon (I hate for-profit “insurance”) in a large city some distance from us who couldn’t even have the initial consult until summer. I insisted we go back to the primary care doctor for another local referral. And today DH had his initial consult with this local surgeon via telephone, due to the pandemic. This surgeon was NOT scared of DH’s condition and is willing to do the surgery, having reviewed all of his x-rays and MRI. He said it looks completely consistent with gout and he does not believe there is any infection.

The surgery won’t happen until after the pandemic dies down. But it sounds like IT WILL HAPPEN. There is a light at the end of this tunnel!!!

Though the current situation continues to be trying, and though DH continues to suffer so much pain, there is hope on the horizon.

• Like 10
On 3/23/2020 at 6:32 PM, Cowgirl said:

gout

Although it raises blood pressure, hubby knows without a shadow of doubt that a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water every day stops the pain in it's tracks in a matter of hours.  Not something one can remain on, but it does work.  When he has a flare (even with meds) he just takes a dose and usually the next day or two, it's gone.  Not a doctor, just sayin'...

• Like 1
20 hours ago, The WE2's said:

Although it raises blood pressure, hubby knows without a shadow of doubt that a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water every day stops the pain in it's tracks in a matter of hours.  Not something one can remain on, but it does work.  When he has a flare (even with meds) he just takes a dose and usually the next day or two, it's gone.  Not a doctor, just sayin'...

DH’s gout is way past home remedies. We used to use all those, of course. And I wish we hadn’t.

He also does not drink. He also rarely ate beef (has had ZERO since September).

He is too fat. That is likely a contributing factor.

Gout completely destroyed his knee. There is no knee left, really, just deteriorated bone on bone. No cartilage, no meniscus, nothing that makes a knee function as a knee. The x-rays and MRI scared even a Harvard trained orthopedic surgeon we were referred to at one point.

I tried for years to get DH to go to a rheumatologist, for proper treatment, but he stubbornly refused. He would see a nurse practitioner at a local family medicine clinic. He was prescribed one medication, but his blood levels were not properly monitored. And he would use home remedies for those flare-ups too. Now the knee cannot be saved. It can only be replaced. And it took some searching to even find a surgeon willing to do the surgery.

Lesson here is that gout is NOT something to take lightly and to “treat” with home remedies. It can actually completely destroy a joint or joints. Even if you get some temporary relief, those aren’t actual TREATMENTS and do nothing to save the joints. Gout is a disease best treated and monitored by a rheumatologist.

Just sayin.

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4