MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

forums with free information have become a thing of the past.

SueC

Lately I have been looking at ways to make my small house block work for me. I know I have too small an area to be self sufficient, but I am researching what else I can add to make it better. So many of the sites I find offer you a tidbit of free advice and then flood you with offers of half price tutorials for basic things like growing a garden, keeping chickens, growing enough for a family, canning and so much more. Some of these courses are US$90 at half price.  What is wrong with todays world that they want to charge you more than a self help book would cost? 

But ….. it made me so grateful that I found Mrs S so long ago, that I have learnt the basics of being prepared, of canning etc. I am sad that I have been caught out - finances have not been great the last couple of years so the ability to put away for a rainy day just hasn't been there. However my pantry is good, if I cant shop and get what I normally do then most things I can make. this summer the harvest simply wasn't - potatoes were the only things that grew, but I still have many jars of tomato bases and chutneys and sauces from the prior summer.

So thank you to all of you who have shared freely from your hearts and your experience. I can weather this season and I will get through the to the other side a better prepper!

• Like 9

:bighug2:

Good to see you!

We are also only semi-prepared here, because life happens. But we are better prepared than many, as you are. We’ll get through this together.

• Like 4

:wave:   SueC!!!!   I have been thinking about you lately!!!  Wondering how you and yours have been?   Are you still in NZ or back to Australia?  How are your DDs doing?  Have missed your perspective from places I'll never see.  :hug3: 

A few wks ago.....or was it only one or two?......it seems like NZ had locked down folks coming in except folks who live there.  Those went into quarantine.  Seemed like they would be in time to keep the monster out.  Then a day or two ago, I read that wasn't the case.  :(   So sorry to hear it.  We'd all like to hear that SOMEWHERE escaped.  

You're right about MrsS.  Always based on a bunch of women friends [and a few great guys] sharing and encouraging.  It's a safe place.  And we seem to be recently gathering up more and more of our friends we have known in the past.  Please be one of them!!

MtRider   :pc_coffee:

• Like 4

Hello SueC.  :wave: I am one of the newer members here.  And yes Mrs. S. is the best.  Around here a lot of folks had gardens that didn't pan out well.  Hoping this summer will be a better year.  We are expanding ours this year. Wasn't going to do one this year and just hit the farm markets. But now with the pandemic, DH decided he was going to do his best to plant a garden.  It will be hard on me as he is disabled but still wants to try. So I am going to let him do it and then I will do what I have to do to keep the garden going, the house and everything else that I need to do around here. 

Hang in there as we are all in this together. Hope to see you on here more. :gathering: