MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
HazelStone

"Okay, Sweetie, you were right."

Been away a while. Lots of crap over the last couple-few years. Some good stuff, too, and right as we were going to relax the purse strings a bit and go on a major trip... this happened. Right as I was trying to get the pantry re-sorted after the Drugstore Beetle Fiasco did in our stored pasta and we felt rather stupid for letting it snowball like that.

I'd been following the current mess since December, thought it only a matter of time, and started re-stocking our current staples. Husband commented on it. I told him it doesn't hurt, and it was just in case. Started picking up extra things at the international market, or at Trader Joe's...waving aside my husband's comments.

Late January the pandemic started being discussed at work. I'd mentioned that I studied a lot of logistics for my degree and learned that civilization really was 3 meals from anarchy, it was winter anyway, so why not pick up a few extra things? And I left it at that. And kept picking up a few extra things. And rebalanced some investments.

Come March, all Hell breaks loose, the stores are gutted, there's a dude in a plague mask standing in front of Trader Joe's, there are purchase limits on what's left, my husband wasn't able to complete his shopping list. One of my coworkers frantically messaged me that if I didn't have food in the house, to take PTO and go get some while it was still there. I was able to say "Naaah I'm good."  And later as my husband reached for one of his staples that I stocked up on, he stopped and realized something. Then said, "Okay, Sweetie, you were right."

Awesome! Thanks for acknowledging. We love to hear that admission from our spouses. Victory, yeah? But I didn't want to be right on this. I'd rather take another neglected pile of preps, and another pest problem and just look stupid again rather than this. At the very least, some other poor sot got to grab that sack of rice or bit of pasta because I had already sorted my situation.

• Like 8

Welcome home, HazelStone.

• Like 2

Welcome back Hazelstone. :wave:

It does feel good to hear it once in awhile doesn't it? Or even once. My son has eluded to it a couple of times. We're getting there.

I don't care to be right just as long as the making fun about my 'hoard' and 'preps' stops. And the thinking poor old mom is crazy in her old age. 

• Like 2

It is funny how Fate turns, sometimes. I had a major injury that left me using a walker for a while. Y'know what I have a lot of left over from that time? HAND SANITIZER. Because I couldn't risk washing my hands and slipping/falling from a bit of soap residue...

I consider myself lucky to be on the side of the equation where I'm delivering items for vulnerable friends rather than being among those stuck and  scrambling for help.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I don't care to be right just as long as the making fun about my 'hoard' and 'preps' stops. And the thinking poor old mom is crazy in her old age. 

:thumbs:  :cheer:  :thumbs:  :cheer:  

That's why that first REAL conversation with DD2 was so satisfying.  FINALLY we could discuss THAT TOPIC and she's saying things as I would say them.  :happy0203: 

For a long time, DH had no idea that I had an amount of long term things.  Or a stash of tuna, pineapple, cranberries, and such.  :lol:  We're still discovering some of that!  The aforementioned things keep popping up here and there as we explore  ....clear/sort/clean the basement.  :whistling:  Fortunately, only the most ancient is destined for the trash bin.  I did, unfortunately, lose track of the fine art of rotation. 

Glad to see you back, HazelStone!  Always loved your lil' kitty.  :)  Do you have those in your area?  We do and I like pics better than the real ones for neighbors.  :o  

5 hours ago, HazelStone said:

I consider myself lucky to be on the side of the equation where I'm delivering items for vulnerable friends rather than being among those stuck and  scrambling for help.

Yeah, and they don't think of that aspect when giving us a hard time.  But we're gracious and forgiving, right?  But we're also hoping that they....all of the "they" in our lives.....learn and prepare for the next time some hooey hits fan.  Cuz these BIG hooey situations need a lot of folks who are prepared and know how to use our stuff.  It takes us mostly out of the shopping equation by the time things are seriously scarce.

I imagine old timers are getting popular all over the planet about now.  "Grandma, how do I make bread since there is none in the store?"

MtRider  :wave: 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Mt_Rider said:

Glad to see you back, HazelStone!  Always loved your lil' kitty.  :)  Do you have those in your area?  We do and I like pics better than the real ones for neighbors.  :o  

Yeah, and they don't think of that aspect when giving us a hard time.  But we're gracious and forgiving, right?  But we're also hoping that they....all of the "they" in our lives.....learn and prepare for the next time some hooey hits fan.  Cuz these BIG hooey situations need a lot of folks who are prepared and know how to use our stuff.  It takes us mostly out of the shopping equation by the time things are seriously scarce.

I imagine old timers are getting popular all over the planet about now.  "Grandma, how do I make bread since there is none in the store?"

MtRider  :wave: 

Gaaahh, still trying to get the hang of the new forum. Moderate IT arcana going on the work machine, and on my own I'm cursing under my breath trying to get the quote to work...

I live waaaaay too far east for the big kitties to roam. We've only recently gotten coyotes. I got to pet a cheetah once, and that's as big as I'll go.

Anyway, my family taught me to prep, really. We lived way out in the country when I was little, and I was one of those weird kids who actually listened to their grandparents.

Though even if you know how to make bread, the flour and yeast were gone quick. Pay no attention to that white bucket in the pantry closet. :whistling:

Edited by HazelStone
  • Like 6

Or that glob of stuff that smells like stale beer:laughkick:

• Haha 1

Yeah...after many years of hubby complaining about “too much”...I heard him bragging about how we were just fine because I keep a well stocked pantry to one of his brothers who was complaining about empty store  shelves...

Welcome home Hazel.

• Like 3

Make sure your dh knows when NOT to tell about things, Dogmom.  :behindsofa:    I make sure people know that we're still going to the store every couple weeks.  I don't mention that we don't need the stuff that are usually on those empty shelves.  We don't absolutely NEED anything....except DH's meds and he's set now. 

Yeast shortage.  My mom...."the Keebler elf" because she always makes a lot of cookies and cuz she's now very short  :lol:   ....has plenty of flour and sugar and such.  But she hadn't made any bread or rolls in a long time.  I had to send in some of my yeast for her to try the No Knead bread recipe.  So far they do have bread in freezer but ...homemade will be nice.  I haven't had a chance to try that either....didn't have oven for a while....  Have bread machine tho....just haven't ever baked the dough IN the bread machine. 

MtRider  :cook: 

• Like 4

Glad to meet you HazelStone.  Glad you have you back. 

I know how having to hide stuff from your DH is such a chore. My DH didn't think we needed to prep for anything.  Well the shoe is on the other foot and he doesn't say a word about what I bring home now. Guess he still likes to eat.  And a nice gold mine of TP.  My every 2 months from Amazon came today. Didn't think we would get that TP before May.  It is only 3 months behind from when we should have gotten it.  

We have only put a small dent in the freezers so far.  Not buying anything now. Just going to use up our stock and then replenish a couple of months from now.  Though I heard we are in a recession now. So prices of food, paper goods, clothing and other things will go way up as the value of the dollar drops to nothing. 

11 minutes ago, Littlesister said:

We have only put a small dent in the freezers so far.  Not buying anything now. Just going to use up our stock and then replenish a couple of months from now.  Though I heard we are in a recession now. So prices of food, paper goods, clothing and other things will go way up as the value of the dollar drops to nothing. 

We'll be okay so long as US currency/bonds is seen as the prettiest horse in the glue factory. Other countries have fired up the printing press too, so we might not see as much of a decline given US' relative position to its neighbors. Those who want most to undercut the USD would be doing it on the power of oil and hey, guess what was just gutted as well?

I mean, the next year or so will be no fun, but I don't think things will be pay-for-groceries-with-silver level. Though the grocery store yesterday reminded me of Polish immigrants' description of the Communist days...

• Like 1

I had a similar thought the last time I was at the grocery store too, HazelStone. The empty shelves reminded me of the books I've read and videos I've watched about WWll and the Great Depression.

Also lines waiting to get in a store at Wal-Mart reminded me of pictures I've seen in Russia. 

'Everything old is new again'

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I'm ever so grateful I stocked up in January. We moved last summer so I gave quite a bit to my daughter and her friend that we didn't have enough room to move. Made several large trips to Costco and Winco to stock up and also stocked up my child who lives in Portland very well. I saw it coming and immediately took action so while everyone else was looking for TP and still are!!! and the shelves were bare of tomato products, pasta, rice and beans here I had plenty. Shopping to maintain right now and putting in a garden.

• Like 5