MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Midnightmom

Are you prepared for a food/meat shortage???

This video just convinced me to spend a good part of my stimulus check on some more canning jars.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Midnightmom. This link worked. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Hubby told me yesterday that I can't buy new canning jars until I use the ones I have.  Planning to can up some ground beef this weekend.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, TheCG said:

Hubby told me yesterday that I can't buy new canning jars until I use the ones I have.  Planning to can up some ground beef this weekend.

Use them up quick so you can get more then. Everyone else is having the same idea so jars and lids won't last on the shelves forever. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

Use them up quick so you can get more then. Everyone else is having the same idea so jars and lids won't last on the shelves forever. 

I'm planning on being sneaky and getting more anyway.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Well, somebody in Riverview, Florida must have been praying for canning jars.  That's all I can figure.  Four dozen got dropped on her front porch by a UPS driver on Wednesday at 5:35 p.m.

• Like 2

Ambergris..... ?  Were they supposed to be delivered to you?  Or were you the person that got an unexpected blessing? 

MtRider  :shrug: 

They were supposed to be delivered to me.  UPS made an error.

• Sad 7

Uh-Oh UPS. Don't mess with a woman and her canning jars!   :baseballbat:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

TheCG, I have gotten very good at sneaking things in under DH's nose. He had no idea how much food and stuff I had. he knew about all the stuff I canned and canned goods from store, but he never goes into the freezer which is in garage, so easy to sneak food into that. I have been known to leave food in car and when he falls asleep, I get it and put it away.  He never sees it. Now he sees it and understands my madness for stocking food like I have. The attic is a great place for hiding my TP, paper towels, Kleenex, and a lot of other things. He still has not seen my attic stash. No food up there. just paper products and camping gear. And a few other things like a grain mill.  I need that. I have long term grain for making bread. Just haven't pulled that one down on him yet. It's coming.  

I bought more canning jars when I went out to store today.  They are in hiding till I get them into the shed which is my supply place for all my canning jars and other things. He did know I bought more lids as he said he heard somewhere there was going to be a shortage of them. So no problem.  Over the past 4 months, I have bought  about 8 doz. pint jars and 5 doz. quart jars plus 2 more of the 1/2 gal. jars. All on top of what I already have. Though some of them are about to get used. Gives me an excuse to buy more. 

Going to can 20 lbs. of hamburger and some carrots in the next couple of days. Then I am going to start looking for beef sales and get that canned as well. Then when the garden comes in I will need more jars. And yes I might have to sneak in more jars.  

My DH thinks I have enough also.   Has anyone heard the phase he who has the most material when they die wins.  Well that still stands but now it is he who has the most canning jars when they die wins.   Working on it. yes I beat my daughter in the material line.  She doesn't say that anymore. I already won.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I remember when Darlene moved to her farm in Georgia. She had canning jars by the pallet load. She wasn't going anywhere without her jars.   :canning:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

LOL, Little Sister.  You won't be sorry you've prepared [on the sly] and neither will your dh!  :thumbs: 

Thankfully, DH got on board quite a number of years ago.  Before that, I had a whole area inside the ....ahem, "Chaos Camo"..... that he didn't know about.  Once he REALLY understood, I let him in on the stash....a little at a time.  :lol:  

At this point, I'm asking him......NOW what did you order?   He hates shopping ....except by computer.  :buttercup:    Created a monster!  Yet..... we're in no pain during this current situation.  Things purchased WAAAAAY before they became scarce.....and more expensive.  It will all be used.

Now we're padding my parent's food list when he shops for them.  :lol:  Tho my mom did quite well when I told her in Feb to Stock Up!  Farm wife all those years and who has time to run into town for shopping when the corn has to be planted or harvested???  That's how I grew up.  Of course you think ahead and prepare for busy ....or lean....months!

MtRider  :amen: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 3

Hubby would say I'm going overboard.  I think I might be done food shopping for a bit (other than fresh produce and milk), at least until I get some stuff canned up.

• Like 5

Needed to go out to shed for some pint canning jars before the rains started this morning. Took a quick count on what I have and took the jars I bought the other day to shed. So far on just a quick count, I have 12 doz. quart jars, 9 doz. pint jars not counting the ones I am getting ready to use which is 2 doz. for the carrots. And 5 doz. 1/2 pints.  Plus the 2 doz. half gal. jars So I think for now I am good to go. But maybe later add to that as I see what's left after I do my summer canning. Or maybe just keep buying some here and there as I can find them.  Celery is in freezer and out of way now. 

Going to call DH's cousin for the 20 lbs. of hamburger and then in a week going to buy some chicken from him. I am thinking about 30 lbs. on that.  Then the roast and some pork as well. So will be spending a lot of time canning meats. Glad I bought that 2nd pressure canner. I will be able to get canning done twice as fast now. 14 jars at one time instead of only 7 at a time. Going to can the carrots tomorrow.  So that will be out of way and by Monday the hamburger should be ready for me to pick up. 

Not sure what is going to happen with the meat as I really think there will be a shortage of some sort coming down the pipes sometime next year if not sooner. I heard the butchers are going to be cutting the price per pound to the buyers by $1.00 per lb. That doesn't seem like much but I guess when you are selling a lot of meat to the warehouses, it does add up. 

• Like 3

I got a refund on my four dozen jars, re-ordered them, and then found three of the four dozen in two sopping wet boxes on my front porch after the tornado missed us.

It's like rabbit math.

• Like 5

:grinning-smiley-044:    The saga of the misdirected....multiplying? ... canning jars!!!   :unsure:   GLAD the tornado missed you!!!!!!!!!!!!  :amen:  

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 2

On 4/23/2020 at 4:08 PM, Littlesister said:

some sort coming down the pipes

Do any of you watch youtuber "Prepper Princess"?  She talked about this and was urging people to listen and prep up.

• Like 2

If we decide to add any meats to our pantry it will be more turkey's and more hamburger and turkey burger. Right now we have a laser focus on gardening and going to one of our favorite Mennonite stores to pick up some produce auction veggies that I can put up right away and not have to wait til harvest from our garden.  A "hoop house" is on our list to build, asap.  Wish those funds would come on in so we could get the truck on the road and build the hoop house.  We don't want a stationary green house because the zoning will call it a "building" and our taxes will go up.

• Like 3

So...if I’m canning ground beef for the first time tomorrow, any recommendations for how to pre-cook it?

The CG, I just fry mine up but do not fully cook it. I will still have a bit of pink in it as it will finish cooking when you can it. But you do want it mostly cooked. Drain off as much grease as you can and then put in canning jars. I know for a pint jar, it usually takes about a pound of hamburger.  You can add seasoning if you wish. But do that only for what you will be using it for.  I did some of for taco's and had the seasoning it for that. Also did some up for spaghetti and had onions and seasonings for spaghetti only.  This time I am just going to can it plain.  Then use it for meatloaf or whatever. 

I need to get mine canned next week as I only have 3 jars left and will be using one of those soon. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Not posting this to spread panic but to help you not be caught unawares.

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I took out 5 pounds of hamburger to thaw yesterday...and forgot about it and left it out overnight.  Chunked now, as I don't play around with food poisoning.  Here's hoping I do better next time...

• Sad 5

The CG if you caught it early in morning, it might have still had ice chrystals in the middle of it since it was a lot of hamburger. I have done that before and it was still good. Cold in the middle but just a bit runny on outside. I used it and no one got sick. Though I don't like to leave meat out like that either. 

I watched the video. MidnightMom. She has a lot of good points. But I am not going to worry about it at this point. But I am watching closely. My freezer always stays full and I want to now get it emptied. I did have a dent in it and cut up celery and onions to put in there. So it sort of filled up again.  Went to store and bought a couple pounds of bacon and some ribs for tomorrow night's dinner. It may be Monday as I want to cook them on the grill. So rain will play a part in that. They just took them off the truck when I got there and had to wait for them to bring them out. They were frozen. Which tells me they are getting the meat in frozen and then letting it thaw in the meat counters. I know I have seen chicken that way. Part frozen and partly thawed. 

We will be rationing our meats if it comes to that, but don't think we are there yet.  We used to do meatless meals once or twice a week and I can go back to that if need be.  Cook up some dried beans or have veggie night. I would cook up squash, green beans, corn on cob, sliced tomatoes and cucumbers, carrots, butterbeans and that would be dinner for a night. I more than likely go back to those times if need be.  All leftover veggies would be heated up for next night's dinner with meat added to it. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, TheCG said:

canning ground beef

I fry mine until it's done...as I also do sausage...and I put it in half pint jars (just the two of us) with all the fat.  In a life changing event, having fat in our diet will be important.  Besides...when I dump it into the skillet to heat I can drain the fat then.  Just less cumbersome for me.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TheCG said:

forgot about it and left it out overnight

We own one of those 5-day coolers...not a Yeti...but still gets the job done.  I always put my meat in it to thaw, and have bubble wrap/silver over the top to keep it even cooler but able to thaw.  In fact, I have a roasting hen in ours right now to put in my slow cooker tomorrow when we leave to work on the homestead.

• Like 3