MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Midnightmom

Are you prepared for a food/meat shortage???

Checked our "little chest" freezer and it's good to go.  The big upright "meat freezer" is good to go.  The larger chest freezer...got several turkeys...good to go.  In fact I brought back to this place a half of a ham and a roasting hen.  Going to put up some mixed beans w/ham and putting the hen in the slow cooker in the morning with some potatoes, onions, green beans etc., for supper tomorrow night after we get home from the homestead.

• Like 2

In 'normal' times I fry my hamburger done, drain it, then rinse it off in a colander. That removes nearly all of the fat and water. Now, I'd skip the rinsing step because I'd want a little fat in the jar. 

I saw where someone, I can't remember who, said they were canning their hamburger in onion soup and it gave it a great flavor. I'm going to try that the next time I can it. 

Getting used to the texture of canned hamb. takes a little getting used to. It's not bad at all. Just a little different.

• Like 2

we bought a big freezer.  wanted small ones but they are gone, so got a big (15 c ft) one.  will give our 5 cu ft one to a friend who has been lookiing for one that size.  Several times we have been told by butchers in local stores that meat shortages will be increasing.  Bless the one at Krogers this week - he fetched me bulk packs of hamburger and a whole beef loin primal cut.  He hesitated, saying that it was pretty big, but I just grinned at him and said "I have a freezer....and a knife...."   He grinned back and came back with a large chunk of beef.  We are sharing with friends (the same ones getting the freezer) so everybody benefits.  Those same friends clue us in to good sources of bulk food - the latest is a local butcher who sells assortment packages at reasonable prices.  We will be ordering when our big freezer comes.  Meat is something we do not plan on being without.  (We are also purchasing locks for the freezers....not trusting folks when they get hungry....we already have video cams on the garden, much as we hated to do it.)  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, The WE2's said:

I fry mine until it's done...as I also do sausage...and I put it in half pint jars (just the two of us) with all the fat. 

I thought the reason behind removing the fat before canning was to prevent the fat from going rancid while in storage. :canning:

• Like 1

The main reasons to remove as much fat as possible, when canning, is because people want to be as 'fat free' as they can. I have a texture issue with fat so I try to avoid it. Just the thought of it...

Another reason, and it's a biggie, is that it doesn't look very appetizing. There is a ring of fat around the top part of the jar circling the meat. 

I've heard about the rancid issue but that shouldn't be an issue in a properly sealed jar. Especially if you rotate your food. Also the fat could prevent a seal if siphoning happens. It could cause a false seal too. 

Be sure to wipe the jar rim with straight vinegar before putting the lid on to remove any grease during jar filling that would prevent a seal. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I've heard about the rancid issue but that shouldn't be an issue in a properly sealed jar.

I've heard the same as Midnight.  What is the basis for "rancid"?   Is it a microorganism that is O2 based?  Or a deterioration or what?  :scratchhead: 

It appears to be a function of oxidation -- so by reducing the amount of available O2 in canning process, that would reduce the process of any fats going rancid inside sealed canning jars.

https://www.healthycanning.com/canning-meat/#Low-fat_meat_is_best_for_canning

Quoting -=======================

The presence of oxygen causes several types of chemical changes in food. Oxygen causes changes in the unsaturated bonds of a fat or oil. The result is oxidative rancidity that spoils food with off-flavors and off-odors. Moderate heat will increase the rate of oxidative rancidity changes. The shelf life of home canned meats stored at room temperature will limit its shelf life. Cold temperatures slow down the rate of rancidity, but even freezing temperatures will not completely prevent oxidative rancidity.”  [15]

15. National Center for Home Food Preservation Self Study Course. Module 1. Introduction to Food Preservation: Why We Preserve Food. Accessed March 2015.

End Quoting -=========================

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rancidification

Quoting ==========================

Oxidation primarily occurs with unsaturated fats. For example, even though meat is held under refrigeration or in a frozen state, the poly-unsaturated fat will continue to oxidize and slowly become rancid. The fat oxidation process, potentially resulting in rancidity, begins immediately after the animal is slaughtered and the muscle, intra-muscular, inter-muscular and surface fat becomes exposed to oxygen of the air. This chemical process continues during frozen storage, though more slowly at lower temperature. Oxidative rancidity can be prevented by light-proof packaging, oxygen-free atmosphere (air-tight containers) and by the addition of antioxidants.[6]

End Quoting =========================

HOWEVER, I'm clearly not an expert on canning....I've done some.  [usually with Darlene on the phone listening to the jiggle to check the cadence!]  :lol: 

MtRider  ....got curious :canning: 

• Like 3

Hey,  Out Of The Ordinary, I just heard on our radio station where Giant Eagle is rationing meat now. Only two packs of hamburger per visit. 

They can call it "limiting" all they want. It's still rationing. 

• Like 3

I heard that, too, Jeepers.   We don't buy any meat there, though.  (I get sick off of/don't-digest-well-at-all grocery store meat.) I've heard Sam's has been doing that for awhile.    And I read that 1/5 off all Wendy's had to take hamburgers off their menus because they can't get beef  (I know it's not a time to joke around, but I keep thinking of that old Wendy's commerical with the lady saying "Where's the beef?")

We buy all our beef, lamb and turkey from local farmers.   Chicken I buy at a grocery store, but it's all the Gerber brand from Ohio (I think it's headquarters are somewhere near the same town as Lehman's).   It's the only store chicken I can have.   So I have good "sources" for most of our meat, it's just now with what's going on, my meat sources are suddenly experiencing much higher demands than normal.   :blink:  

• Like 3

I'm not a big meat eater. I'd rather have veggies. Meat is sort of bland to me. 

Yes, Gerber is in the same little town as Lehman's. Kidron, Ohio. A lot of Amish work there. I've seen girls outside at a picnic table in the summer on break. I've never been inside but the outside of the building looks very nice. 

My cousin-in-law said Costco was rationing their meat too. I think he said three packs per visit. He lives in the Baltimore area and they have been very strict there. You have to wear a mask to even get in a store and he said some stores are taking temperatures before they let you in. It was never that strict here in Ohio. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I'm not a big meat eater. I'd rather have veggies. Meat is sort of bland to me. 

Yes, Gerber is in the same little town as Lehman's. Kidron, Ohio. A lot of Amish work there. I've seen girls outside at a picnic table in the summer on break. I've never been inside but the outside of the building looks very nice. 

My cousin-in-law said Costco was rationing their meat too. I think he said three packs per visit. He lives in the Baltimore area and they have been very strict there. You have to wear a mask to even get in a store and he said some stores are taking temperatures before they let you in. It was never that strict here in Ohio. 

In PA, you have to wear a mask or other covering (homemade mask, scarf, bandana, ect)  to get in a store.    There's limits on how many people can go into a store at once, as well.   DH does all the shopping.   He's had to stand outside in line many times already, waiting to get in.   Many places are still closed as they're  not deemed "essential".   It's ridiculous.    They did open the booze stores back up.  They're state-owned and the state was losing a great deal of revenue; people were crossing the border into Ohio and West Virginia to get alcohol.   Clearing the shelves.  Several WV counties banned sales to out-of-staters.

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary
spelling
  • Like 2

I can a lot of my meat. But I do remove as much fat as I can.  For hamburger I always buy the 93 to 96 percent fat free. It is just easier to do when it comes to removing the fat as not much fat is in it to start with.  Then If I want to cook hamburger in something that needs more fat, I have some 85 to 90 percent fat hamburger in the freezer for that. 

• Like 2

Y'know....if they have to limit meat or other items, I'd rather they DO give us ration cards.  Cuz then other people can shop for you.  They used to do that during the war....WWII.  My mom still has some ration stamps.  I'd rather we didn't NEED that but it's more fair to families with more kids or who have elders living with them, etc.  Some mom with 3 foster kids and 2 of her own does not need to spend time going back to the store multiple times because of a FLAT RATE limit. 

MtRider  :shopping:   So far, DH has pushed our grocery cart and pulled one for my folks and no one says anything.  No limits here....as of yesterday.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

You mean the news folks finally noticed & reported it?  Meat rationing of some meats going on here for over a month.  Now that the guv has "opened up" the state the local food groceries no longer have the covid granny hours where you could get in early before things were picked clean.  Now they just open later, and the whole world is in there looking for meat.  I have to decide what i  need most and literally run with the car to that aisle...most limited/rationed things last 15 minutes.  M and I go together now so we can split up and check more places at the same time.  But that is not what I came here to mention....

I am hearing disconcerting reports of neighbors turning in neighbors for "hoarding"....ie, having more than they have...and have some concern about potential food confiscation.  Hope you kept your preps quiet, ladies.  Either that or process things at home (re-can, dehydrate, re-package? ) so they are obviously NOT "boughten" 

I am putting locks on my freezers  <_<  (especially the new larger one) as my neighbors are more likely to be light-fingered than to be snitches.  Good heavens!  

What unsettling times are upon us!  Opsec is not a popular or nice thing, but one set of loose lips could un-do your work.  I sincerely hope NOT but as ever, am preparing for the worst. :(  We are also stocking up on things that USE meat (dog food uses meat by products, for example); and on alternate protein sources (when they are available....many are starting to get hit hard also as meat prices skyrocket).  Cheese to be waxed, frozen or shredded & dehydrated; dry beans;  mac & cheese (M likes kraft);  nonfat dry milk (when I can find it); pasta & rice  (to stretch things).....AND dig out those less-meat menus and making them to get diners used to them.....

I also see a wryly amusing difference in what items are being sold out between urban and rural grocers....urbanites buy up the pizza, hot pockets, and frozen foods....rural folks tend to buy up the more basic flour, yeast, and stuff that stores longer.  I imagine because they are accustomed to not going shopping daily due to distance issues.  I certainly hope my big freezer gets here while there is still meat to be had!

If i was inclined to put on my tin hat I would wonder if the dark side wants us food-dependent....easier to control you know....

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2

Oye, Kappy.  Good reminder.  Since everyone is talking about 'our' topics of stocking up due to shortages/empty shelves, it's easy to forget that it's still not a good topic to participate in FULLY.  Agreeing with the masses about what an inconvenience this is.....till things get back to normal.  Drop a minor hint/idea here and there.  We can safely do that with those we don't know well.  But even being "not worried/stressed enough" might trigger an intelligent but unscrupulousness person to wonder WHY we aren't acting worried/stressed. 

MtRider  ....put on your acting skills if you're out and about or chatting at social distance over the back fence.....so to speak. 

• Like 2

Going back and reading about the meat shortages, bought back a thought. Does anyone remember Greta Thunberg?  She is all about climate change, environmental activist.  She is the one that said cows are polluting the environmental environment and things cows should be done away with as we should not be eating beef.  As cows fart and that is polluting our environment.  Kinda makes you wonder what is going on behind the coronavirus.  Just a thought. 

• Like 2

I remember that but I didn't know the name of the person who started it. Not much surprises me any more. I'll bet the vegetarians and vegans are feeling a little smug right about now. 

• Like 1

The cow fart thing was going around long before Greta was born, poor kid.  I do feel sorry for gifted children who are over-indulged.

• Like 3

Cows farting does not destroy the environment. This girl has nothing better to do. And she's making money off this garbage. Besides people pass gas and it hasn't destroyed the environment. Does this mean we must all disappear for good because it's destroying the air this girl breaths. She needs to get a life. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Littlesister said:

Does this mean we must all disappear for good

I don't know what young Greta thinks on this....don't really listen to her stuff.  But there ARE some extreme folks who think the human race should pretty much bow out and let ole Mo Earth get on without us.  :tapfoot:  ......kinda think it's hypocritical of them to still be breathing O2 and exhaling CO2    {and maybe other gases?}  while spouting their self-righteous nonsense.  God's Plan:  Be good stewards ....but LIVE!  L'Chaim!

IF IT'S NOT CROWDED....DH might be in our Walmart tomorrow while I visit my mom......at opposite ends of their porch.  [hope it's warm/sunny!]   He hasn't been there in 2 months so we'll see how their supply of things is holding.  So far our grocery is ok and no limits. 

MtRider  :shopping: 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ambergris said:

The cow fart thing was going around long before Greta was born, poor kid.  I do feel sorry for gifted children who are over-indulged.

I hadn't heard of Greta Thunberg. I Googled her... :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Told daughter that I really needed to go to Sam's club but didn't not want to leave DH by him self for that long. She said to make a list and she would go for me.  She doesn't want me out in places like that anymore. So I will make my list and let her shop for me. I mainly want to get chicken legs to can as we barbeque them for snacks. Makes for a great protein snack when you are diabetic. Might just get those ordered from market also as they are bringing me my 10 lbs. of hamburger anyway. I will just spend a couple of days canning meat. Going to pull some things out of freezer to can also as I had filled my freezer up again when this mess first started. 

• Like 3

I am thinking of ordering my hamburger and chicken tomorrow and spending this time without nurses and therapist coming in this week to get some canning done. Only thing is the hospital calling for DH to come in if the Corvid test is negative. I am thinking about just letting his family doctor deal with it. He said he needs to have his stomach drained and it is crazy no doctor nor hospital is bothering to do what needs to be done.  So I am chancing getting the meat ordered and canned as fast as possible. Glad I bought that second canner.

• Like 3

Speaking of downsizing our world, we've been eliminating the youngest for decades. Now we're going after the oldest and infirmed.  :ph34r:

• Sad 5

When this COVID started in China, I posed an off-the-wall theory to DH.  China's plan to downsize their huge population did not work when they did their One Child mandate.  They eventually ended up with a LOT of young men with no young women to marry.  So the boys brought in some foreign [NOT CHINESE] women to have their children.  Not desired outcome.  So....if eliminating the births didn't work, how about eliminating the elderly?  [my theory with no real back-up]  Historically, the Chinese were quite respectful of their elders.  :unsure:   But are they now?  I would not know - have no real data.  This is just my musings.....

MtRider  :shrug: 

• Sad 5

If you have ever heard of Jonie Erickson Tada, you may have heard her interview on Dr. James Dobson decades ago. She has been a paraplegic since her teen years (diving accident). She was talking about abortions and how it takes our youngest. She felt DECADES ago that euthanasia would systemically take our our old and mentally challenged population. (Germany did that with less than perfect children and adults). Now we have something that her theory on euthanasia never even addressed ... a China virus that takes our our elderly and infirmed. Yes, MtRider, the Asians are very respectful of their elderly. We learned A LOT about respecting our grand-parents when we lived over there.  :grouphug:

• Like 4