MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Guest Joyfilled

Garden 2020

Guest Joyfilled

Hello, all! Happy spring! I'm assuming a lot of you are elbow deep in the garden by now. Whatya all growing? :bouquet:

We haven't had a proper garden in years. The last two years we did a bit, but this year, because of Covid19 and the crazy weather, were planning on a large garden. We're praying that God will bless our efforts.

Hubby planted at least a dozen fruit and nut trees, but of course, those are years (nuts may be decades!) away from giving. It's a start anyway! I planted 6 honey berry plants and hubby planted a bunch blueberry plants, and we have a ton more to do:

Blackberries

Strawberries

Herbs (varied)

Potatoes

Broccoli

Green beans

Zucchini

Peppers (varied)

Tomatoes

Tomatillos

Cabbage

Cucumbers

Flowers (varied)

I know there's more, but without looking, that's all I've got off the top of my head. 

Had huge blueberry bush when we moved in and I've planted another.  Had and have a nice turkey fig tree and lots of elder berry bushes.

Front garden:  Potatoes, sweet potatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, jalapenos and okra

Back garden:  Big tomatoes, cherry tomatoes (not transplanted yet), salad cucumbers and pickling cucumbers, butternut squash, english peas, and watermelons.

Lick tubs:  garlic in one and lettuce in another.

That's all for now.

• Like 3

Guest Joyfilled

I started lettuce, but ummmm....the scraggly little beasts don't look like lettuce. What am I doing wrong? Hubby says they should be very simple to grow? 

I feel your pain Joyfilled. I've never gotten any of my plants past the scraggly stage. 

Posted (edited)

Other than what I already have growing in the seed cups,  I am not sure we will have much of a garden this year. So I will be hitting the farms later when things start coming in. Maybe when DH gets home I can get outside and get some things done.  Right now I am also have a garage door issue as it opened but would not close. Something isn't working. It is on a garage door opener, so they are coming out tomorrow.  I had to pull the emergency cord to be able to close door. I really don't need things breaking right now. 

CG I do watch Videos for gardening and other things as well.  That picture of that girl could be my twin. Yes she does look a bit like me but younger. Right down to the hair.  All I can say is Wow. I have a twin.

Edited by Littlesister
  • Like 2

It’s hitting summer here. 100° in the shade & my vehicle says 104-106° already.

Beets & carrots are getting ready to harvest, in the corner garden.  There are 2-5 more volunteer celery plants amount them.  Zucchini sprouted 2 seeds, replanted, and now we have 5 plants. Butternut took over a month to sprout, sooo.. I replanted and now have 9 plants.  Tomatoes are loaded, onions are full of blossoms, more beets are doing well and garlic is growing well.  Fava beans are wilting during the day, from the heat, but bounce back in the evening when they get shade & water.  Tomatillos are blooming constantly and about 2-3 foot tall already.  The jalapeños in the front yard hedge, that survived the frost in December, have begun to flower.  

The spice garden is coming back wonderfully.  Camomile has been harvested, and the lower branches of the celery plant, thriving in that area.  Mexican oregano is beginning to flourish.  Sage is doing exceptionally well along with the Greek oregano, which I whacked back, because it was taking over the area.  Dried & ground it, making 2 pints, gave one pint to DH’s friend, along with some Mexican oregano, he was enthused.  Thyme has doubled it’s footprint and I should be able to harvest some by mid summer.  Peppermint, is surviving, it’s doubled it’s footprint, but hates the heat.  I took a branch & put it in the house in my spice planter in the kitchen window.  It’s doing really well.  The basil died in December,  but the clipping in the house loves the north facing kitchen window.  Made a batch of chicken Parmesan, the other day with a snip from it, MIL loved it.  

Pomagranets  are loaded again, hoping for a good harvest. As long as the birds & insects don’t decimate them before they get ripe in September-December.  Not much I can do about that.  It’s a tree that is over 50 years old, that my grandmother planted.  

Wood sorrow has died from the heat.  It always dies after the temperature exceeds 90°. Pretty when it’s growing in the spring.  Then, the area turns dirt/rocks/aloe vera/prickly pear garden.  Pretty without greenery.  Prickly pear has bloomed well, might have enough fruit this year to make jam.  We shall see.  I’ve been cutting aloe to make sanitizer with 96% alcohol. Works great, when I blanch the aloe first.  Otherwise it turns a beautiful red color. Lol.

• Like 1

Fruit: strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, peaches, pears, watermelon, and a new blueberry that will hopefully bear in a year or two.  The peaches are well established and we usually  get a ton.  We are already eating strawberries and some of the blackberries.  

Herbs: parsley, dill, rosemary, 2 types of cilantro, basil, lavender, green onions, and garlic.  Everything is doing well, bugs are getting into my basil and we need to spray.  We are already eating it all.  

Veg: onions, potatoes, carrots, lettuce, bell peppers, hot peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, celery.  Veg will be ready to eat later in the year.  Some of the potatoes are doing better than others, and the tomatoes and peppers are beautiful.  We did have a cucumber, but I don't think it is going to make it.  Something munched down on it.  

• Like 1

On 4/28/2020 at 6:50 AM, Guest Joyfilled said:

I started lettuce, but ummmm....the scraggly little beasts don't look like lettuce. What am I doing wrong? Hubby says they should be very simple to grow? 

Possibly heat?  I am unable to grow lettuce, it bolts almost immediately.  I might try it in the late fall, after the temps drop back into the 80’s.

• Like 1

Lettuce likes it cold, shady and wet.  Put it in a pot in a suitably shady spot.  Ours is doing well.  

20200430_063356.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am starting to wonder if we will even have a garden this year. I have all the seedlings in seed pots and needs to get planted in ground soon.  We have not been able to finish getting the garden ready for that. And now with DH being in hospital and all this rain, I don't know when we will get it done.  Will see what next week brings and how DH is doing. Even if he can't do it, I am going to try to get planted what we have started. 

That lettuce is looking great.  I still haven't gotten mine planted yet. More rain on way and way to wet to do much in yard now. We had a hard rain and then an all day steady rain but not as hard as it started off.  So car outside in rain for a bath. I haven't had a chance to wash it yet.  Guess that was better than nothing.  Been trying to get things done in house before DH gets home from hospital.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I'll share some cool temps with Annarchy and trade some rain with LilSister for some of our dry conditions.  Around CO there have already been 3 named fires. We still have the remnants of the big snow pile in the shady corner of driveway.  It hasn't snowed in.....4 days?  I think there is still a lot of snowpack in the high elevations yet.   But low country needs rain.  Might have some over the weekend and later next week. 

DH planted a few lettuce seeds in a tub outside.  We're bringing the potato pots in and out of house yet.  Have no idea if they're growing those long sprouted roots....assume so.  The rest of the seeds.....still in packets and my seed table is still bare.  Aaaaugh!  Need energy. 

If by "scraggly" you mean plants you started inside and they get TOO LONG/thin.....they reaching too much for light.  Window sill starts often have this problem.  If they ever have to strain for light, they will never be strong.  

When I do starts, I place all plants extremely close to the lights I'm using.  I'm in basement with ZERO windows.  I put things underneath pots to raise shorter ones UP.  So everyone of them is CLOSE to touching the light.  Adjust daily.....X2 daily sometimes.   I also hang aluminum foil all around and put it on the table too.  Light reflecting everywhere.  I do shut the light off late at nite but have it on again early.  I also turn a fan on them for part of the time - for strong stems.  Get them used to our WIND. 

MtRider  :lois: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watched a video a long time ago, can't recall who, but they took a large cardboard box and lined it with foil and put a small bulb in it and used it for their starts.  I've often wondered if my "aquarium turned fireplace" would work as a sort of cold frame?  Years ago, I took an old aquarium, lined three sides with foil and then lined up t-lights across the bottom.  Loved it...a fireplace that is relatively safe ... for viewing only! :rolleyes:

I will gladly give this rain to anyone that wants it. It poured yesterday all day and today was off and on. No rain tomorrow till tomorrow night but subject to change. Haven't seen a weather report yet today.  

I think my garden will be a no go this year if I can't get hubby stable enough to be able to go out side and work. The plants are not ready to be transplanted yet so will see how things go in a couple of weeks. I need to figure out a way to get walker through the bathroom door. Yes the walker is wider than our main bathroom door which is easier for him as it is closer to the den. So got to work on that issue and then in our bedroom where the bathroom door is, you have to pass between end of bed and dresser. Not much other way to do that room. So am going to try to move the bed over by wall so there will be more room to maneuver.  Can't move the dresser as the TV is on wall above it and the cable box and DVD player is sitting on dresser. I wanted to take that TV out of bedroom but I think it will now get some use. When DH's stomach swells up, he is more comfortable laying down and watching TV. 

So on that note I am not going to have much time to work a garden and taken care of him. When this coronavirus settles down and  the kids are able to come help me out. Then maybe I can get the garden going. 

So I can hopefully read all the stories here about how everyone else's garden is going. And yes pictures also.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

@Littlesister Could he use a walker with a little less width?  At least for doorways?  Wouldn't want it to be dangerous, just thinking from another direction.

Edited by snapshotmiki
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Littlesister said:

Yes the walker is wider than our main bathroom door

My mom turned and stepped sideways thru the bathroom door WITH the walker in the usual place in front of her.  Very tiny steps til she cleared the doorway [cuz she'd had hip replacement] but it worked for her.  She is quite small tho in her elder years.  Might not work for a larger person.   :shrug: 

Another option is to take the door off the bathroom for now.  COVID....no one else at your home?  Curtain hanging?  Sometimes removing door is just enough inches to make it work. Sometimes door KNOBS are in the way.  Measure first before going to that trouble

MtRider  :pray: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 4

My husband's uncle had a stroke and is now wheelchair bound.  He lived in a tiny older house in Port Norfolk with tiny tiny doors.  He took them all off the hinges and hung a shower curtain rod and that worked for him.

• Like 4

Guest Joyfilled

So many great responses!! Yes, I had my lettuce started on the window sill, so it never had a chance to start. But....I know someone local that said she just puts the seeds directly in the ground.... should I try that?

Celery....I would like to grow some, but have no idea how. I've heard it's not easy, and I've heard it's not hard. :scratchhead:

We've owned the place since December, but rented it for about a year, so this is the first spring we've had where we can do more things in the garden. So exciting!!

Little Sister, I'm not on here consistently (kids, planting season), so missed that your hubby was in the hospital. I'm sorry....I hope he gets better soon. :pray:

9 hours ago, Guest Joyfilled said:

just puts the seeds directly in the ground.... should I try that?

As long as you're done with frost temperatures, yes!  Lettuce is a bit hardy....likes it a little chilly but won't survive 32*F if it's above ground.  Can cover for the night if frost is predicted.  Lettuce grows and matures rapidly so you can plant 2 or more times....depending on your spring and fall [estimated] frost dates.  A week or two apart gives you newly mature plants just as previous ones are harvested.  In my area, I just pick leaves I need, not whole plant and don't do more than one planting.  We have a VERY short no-frost season here. 

I've no experience with celery.  

MtRider  ....good luck with new ventures, Joyfilled.

• Like 1

OK, how do I know when to pull potatoes and onions?

IMG_7064.jpeg

IMG_7063.jpeg

The potatoes will start to look dead when it is time to pick them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, euphrasyne said:

The potatoes will start to look dead when it is time to pick them.

Dead from the heat or dead from the cold?  :laughkick:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

I like the way this guy explains things.  Fast forward to minute 29:32 to see what the harvest ready potatoes should look like.    Its the bucket on the far right in the main frame also.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Thanks 2

:sSig_thankyou:

That is a great video. He really explained every step of the way. I'm definitely bookmarking this one..

If you haven't grown potatoes, it will surprise you at how pretty the flowers are.  Ours were purple....and so were the taters; deeep dark purple.  Made interesting potato salad with our nearly orange yolks of boiled duck eggs.  Anyway...potato vines will end up with a green globe fruit too.  Have never figured the use for that......seed?  Instead of seeding with cut up potato starts?   :shrug:    Anyway.... anyone living in a village, you might fool the neighbors with these flowering green plants above ground and bounty [hopefully] below. 

How many potato sets did you put in the pot?  Are you planning to build it up more vertically?   Pot looks small for taters. 

Are those green onions....scallions, TheCG?  If so, just dig a finger down and see how big the bulb is....pull when ready.  If they are meant to grow into usual large onions, they will be growing close enough to the surface to see them growing wider.  Eventually the tops kinda die off but not necessarily.  Cuz folks use the tops to braid strands of onions for storage - - hung in the rafters.  [my experience with that was that the braids got too dried/brittle to hold the weight of the onions....was TRYING to keep them out of reach of mice!]   Just pick when they're big enough for your needs.

MtRider  :lois: 

• Like 2