MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Guest Joyfilled

Garden 2020

I wondered how many "eyes" per bucket to plant too. Buckets are a small space for potatoes. Maybe that's why he has so many buckets. I liked the idea of them being elevated too. Easier on the legs and back for sure. 

Yes, the flowers are very pretty. When we planted potatoes we planted them in the ground. Dug a trench and spaced each eye up about 6-8 inches apart then covered with soil. When the potato leaves came up about a foot we covered them over with a layer of soil and straw. They popped up again and then bloomed. When they died in the fall we dug them up. 

We knocked the excess dirt off (don't wash them because they will rot quicker) and let them dry in the sun until evening. Then we took them to the garage and stored them there until I got them canned up. 

We had very nice sandy soil in N.W. Indiana, thanks to the walking sand dunes from Lake Michigan, so root crops did very well. Especially for the onions, radishes, carrots, beets and potatoes we planted.

• Like 2

Guest 10 Fig Benefits of Fig

The fruit of the fig tree has large quantities of dietary fiber and a low amount of essential vitamins and minerals. This makes them a good addition to any diabetic patient’s diet, as they have little sugar in them. Fresh figs easily spoil and cannot be transported over long distances. This issue is resolved by drying the fruit, which allows the figs to be stored and transported easily. The fruit is a healthy tibenabvi addition to the diet for combating respiratory disorders, increasing bone density and increasing insulin sensitivity.

1. Healthy Bowel Movement
2. Stimulates Weight Loss
3. Low Cholesterol
4. Promotes Good Cardiovascular Health
5. Protects Against Cancers
6. Prevention of Breast Cancer
7. For Bone Development
8. Beneficial For Diabetics
9. Good For Respiratory Conditions
10. For Hypertension

https://www.tibenabvi.pk/10-fig-benefits-dry-fruit/

They're yellow onions.  

I put 7 pieces of potato in each pot, but need to add more soil (this evening, when the wind isn't blowing 30mph and it's not 100F outside).

Honestly, we're both highly impressed that everything has survived so far.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Guest 10 Fig Benefits of Fig said:

The fruit of the fig tree has large quantities of dietary fiber and a low amount of essential vitamins and minerals. This makes them a good addition to any diabetic patient’s diet, as they have little sugar in them. Fresh figs easily spoil and cannot be transported over long distances. This issue is resolved by drying the fruit, which allows the figs to be stored and transported easily. The fruit is a healthy tibenabvi addition to the diet for combating respiratory disorders, increasing bone density and increasing insulin sensitivity.

1. Healthy Bowel Movement
2. Stimulates Weight Loss
3. Low Cholesterol
4. Promotes Good Cardiovascular Health
5. Protects Against Cancers
6. Prevention of Breast Cancer
7. For Bone Development
8. Beneficial For Diabetics
9. Good For Respiratory Conditions
10. For Hypertension

https://www.tibenabvi.pk/10-fig-benefits-dry-fruit/

If any of you are wondering - the website seems legit, but definitely has a Muslim bent to it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks TheCG. I deleted another one awhile ago that was definitely spam. It was the second one in about a week. Both contained sexual content material. I guess people are getting bored with the virus.  :rolleyes: 

• Thanks 2

I grew up with a type 1 diabetic.  Eating fig anything was his favorite way to quickly raise his too low sugar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We love figs but getting harder to find fresh ones around here. I have been playing around with the idea of planting a fig tree. That is if I can find the time this year to get it done. Between DH and the weather, I am not have any luck with doing outside stuff and we are suppose to be getting more rain this evening. :gaah: I have tomato plants, okra, peppers, onions, and some other seedlings that I need to get into ground within the next 2 weeks. Hoping I can get it done between doctor appts. and hopefully no more rain for a long while. Still didn't get the well hooked back up yet either. 

• Like 1

The garden is growing well this year.

Roma Tomatoes

BBA60409-C00E-4EFE-9E02-BC2E084F43D3.jpeg

Tomatillos

5B2B7FBB-41AA-4F16-9496-D6DE3F784761.jpeg

• Like 5

Ann, your pictures look like you could have a bumper crop.. That would be great.  

That happened with us 2 years ago.   Seemed everything we planted just doubled in the amount of food we would get out of our small garden. It was great. 

We are going to have a freeze tonight so glad we haven't started the planting yet.  This yoyo weather is crazy. Going to have a late garden as it is but now the weather is playing a part in it. Hoping this is the last cold snap. 

We are going to transplant our blueberry plants this fall. They are in pots now and have out grown the pots. I have a place set up for them already but just need to fence that area in and fix a net that I can roll down over the plants to keep the birds from getting the berries.  I have a net over them now as the berries are formed but not ripe yet.  Then I might look into a fig tree. They are so hard to find around here and we love figs. 

• Like 1

Really dry year, although not as hot as last year. 

Finally harvested my last sack of new potatoes.  Had some smashed with olive oil and rosemary today.  

We're still eating the damage from last year's heat and drought too.  Or rather, not eating it.  I ordered someone else's pomelo just to check out what he was selling, since my pomelo didn't do this year, and it was the sorriest thing--the man should have said that buying it would be an act of charity.  My tangerines had about two fruit apiece this year, and one of them was worth eating.  The sour orange was only good for zest, and not much good for that.  The rest got picked just to keep the fruit from suppressing the new blossoming.  I put them through the Vitamix and poured them on the ground.  Last year the mulberries kept coming and coming for months.  This year...no single day gave up more than maybe three berries.  Only two of the little trees bore any (in reach) at all.  I never thought I'd see a year when I couldn't even get mulberries for sweetness.  The dewberries aren't doing anything either.  No wonder field rats are coming up into people's houses.  There's nothing in the fields to eat.

We may be praying for tropical depressions again, just to get the soaking rain.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2