MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

A SMALL BATCH POTATO CHEESE SOUP

I found this recipe on the back of a SACO nonfat dry milk powder box.  It is cheap to make (no exotic ingredients) and makes a small batch (easier for portion control for 1 or 2 folks)

SACO POTATO CHEESE SOUP (makes 4 1/2 cups)

3 cups cubed potatoes

1 1/4 cups cold potable water

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 small onion

1 1/2 teaspoons cooking oil of choice

3/4 cup instant nonfat dry skim milk powder

2 sprigs parsley

1 1/2 cups cold water

6 tablespoons shredded/grated cheese

1 tablespoon margarine

1/8 teaspoon pepper

pinch of garlic powder if desired

Cook potatoes in 1 1/5 cups cold water with salt until tender.  Drain but save cooking water.  Chop onion, saute in oil until soft.  Put cooked onions, some of the Apotatoes, some of the cooking water, and 1/4 cup of the skim milk powder in a blender, and blend smooth.  (Don't fill blender over half full)  Repeat with remaining potatoes, water and parsley until all are blended smooth.  Pour all puree in a saucepan over medium heat.  Separately combine remaining dry milk with the 1 1/2 cups cold water in the blender until smooth  Add to

mixture in saucepan.  Stirring constantly over med heat, add cheese, margarine and seasoning.  Heat and stir until cheese & margarine are melted and blended in well.  DO NOT BOIL.  

1 cup = 169 calories, 6 g fat, 22 g carbohydrates, 7 g sugar, 652 mg sodium, 2 g fiber, 8 grams protein and 15 mg cholesterol.

I cant make a big potato soup recipe, I like it too much ... but this one is just right and the 8 grams of protein per cup make it a nice main dish soup.  I like that is uses pantry ingredients.

• Like 3