MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

NEW: Listeria in other veggies/Onions - Salmonella outbreak

Check onions for Thomson International Inc of Bakersfield, CA

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/s0731-salmonella-red-onions.html

=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Key points:

• CDC is advising consumers, restaurants, and retailers not to eat, serve, or sell any onions from Thomson International, Inc., or food made with these onions. This advice applies to red, white, yellow, and sweet onions.
    • Although red onions have been identified as the likely source, other types of onions may be contaminated due to the way onions are grown and harvested.
  • If you don’t know where your onions are from, don’t eat, serve, or sell them or any food prepared with them.
  • Epidemiologic and traceback information showed that red onions are the likely source of this outbreak.
  • The traceback information collected identified Thomson International, Inc., of Bakersfield, Calif., as a likely source of red onions in this outbreak. Additional traceback is ongoing to determine if other onions are linked to the outbreak.
  • Since our last update on July 24, 2020, an additional 184 ill people have been reported in this outbreak, including 37 from 11 new states: Alaska, Colorado, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Nevada, New York, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Texas.
  • A total of 396 ill people have been reported from 34 states. 59 people have been hospitalized. No deaths have been reported.
  • This investigation is ongoing. CDC will provide more information as it becomes available.

/snip/ 

If you have onions at home, the CDC suggests that you check the package or look for a sticker on the onion indicating if it’s from Thomson International, Inc and to throw it away if so.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-

Just hobbled out to my kitchen...fortunately still had packaging for recently purchased onions.  Not Thomson International. 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Thanks 4

Sheesh. I usually buy my onions lose. One of two at a time from a bin. No way to check those. At least Ohio wasn't listed in the recall.

Guess I'll have to trust my grocery store to keep me safe....:eek3:.  Oh wait. They are the ones selling them. 

Salmonella huh? Guess people still aren't washing their hands.  

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Quote from link above:

The recalled products were shipped directly to retailer distribution centers in North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Virginia and to wholesalers in Maryland and North Carolina. Affected products include Freshouse limes, Nature's Promise Organic limes, Fresh from the Start red potatoes and lemons, as well as Wegmans lemons and California Valencia oranges.
Specific details and pictures of the recalled products can be found here.
This is the second such voluntary recall of produce this month.

<snip>

Listeria can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems, according to the FDA.
Healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea. However, Listeria infection can be particularly tragic for those carrying babies, and can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Red/Bold is mine

MtRider  :(
  • Thanks 1