MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Tax Free Weekend

I just heard this is Ohio's back to school tax free weekend. Good time to not only stock up on school supplies but also socks and undies etc. That's what I'm going to be on the hunt for. And some pencils and an electric pencil sharpener. Maybe a crank one too if I can find one.

Remember the old crank ones they had screwed into the wall at school? Those things really worked. We couldn't wait for someone's pencil to get dull so they would go to the sharpener. They/we would be cranking that handle for all we were worth and everyone in the class was snickering because the butt was going as fast as their arm. No one could crank that handle with just their arm. It was a dual opperation. Arm and butt in perfect sync. Or maybe it was just a Hoosier thang. Some of those kids looked like they were ready to take flight. That's also how we learned to dance in the 60's. Get on the dance floor and pretend we were sharpening pencils. Good old fashion pencil sharpeners. 

Anyway...

Check out your states dates:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/when-is-your-states-tax-free-weekend-in-2020/ar-BB15UiKX

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ours is this week.   It only applies to school items under $20 each and clothing under $100.   Just in time for digital schooling.  NOTHING is covered digitally--computers, headphones, software, etc.  Nothing meets the requirements.   Choose what you stock up on carefully, I have a feeling most of it is going to go to waste.  

• Like 1

Pencils, sharpeners, mechanical pencils, ink pens,  glue, scissors, crayons, paper, folders, binders, chalk, erasers, scotch tape, paper clips, binder clips, rubber bands, back pack, little calculator, maybe a label maker or the tape for them, white board, markers, stapler and staples, colored pencils, hole punch...and a cute little caddy to store it all in. :D

Oh, computer paper and ink. 

Tee shirts, shorts, skirts, tops, shoes, socks, undies, bras etc. all kinds.of tween clothes. Mostly from Wal-Mart. As long as each item is under $20.00. Finding the products might be a bigger issue. 

I'm sure I forgot some things. A couple of questions:

1. Can you buy online and still get it tax free

2. I forgot. When I remember I'll come back

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

Pencils, sharpeners, mechanical pencils, ink pens,  glue, scissors, crayons, paper, folders, binders, chalk, erasers, scotch tape, paper clips, binder clips, rubber bands, back pack, little calculator, maybe a label maker or the tape for them, white board, markers, stapler and staples, colored pencils, hole punch...and a cute little caddy to store it all in. :D

Oh, computer paper and ink. 

Tee shirts, shorts, skirts, tops, shoes, socks, undies, bras etc. All kinds of tween clothes. Mostly from Wal-Mart. As long as each item is under $20.00. Finding the products might be a bigger issue. 

I'm sure I forgot some things. A couple of questions:

1. Can you buy online and still get it tax free

2. I forgot. When I remember I'll come back

I don't know why that box is up there. Fat fingers I guess. Not retyping it. I looked on Ohio website. Our clothing limit per item is $75.00.

And Internet sales do apply! Oh Lawsy, I'm letting my fingers do the walking tonight. Vendors.must comply by law. 

Edited by Jeepers
Added Info
  • Like 2

Our situation is more normal than I'd like, but there is no way I'm buying a new backpack and most of the rest is useless on digital for us.  Our district clarified how a few things would be done and seriously it is all typing and mouse work on the computer.   They have promised to limit print outs so we are just reusing older binders that are still good and a 3 hole punch we already have.   There are about a thousand free calculator apps for phones and computers so not much point in adding a calculator even though we have a few lying around.   My giant stash of half used pens and pencils will be standing by for any needed actual writing.  I don't think we're going to add any new supplies for this year.  

Afterthought....I'd add computer paper and ink to my list...but I'm me and we aren't going to run out anytime soon.  :sassing:

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 3

I wouldn't be buying a lot for back to school either. But I will be adding to my arts and crafts and office supplies. Plus toddler stuff. I really like mechanical pencils. I don't like the eraser end of them though. They leave black smudges on the paper until they get worn down. Wish they would improve on that. Mine are Papermate. I'll see if I can find a different brand. G-son has to have a back pack. He keeps clean clothes in there and teachers send notes home to parents in them. They are little though. I can't imagine he will be there very long this year. 

Hope you and baby are doing well! Getting closer and closer to time.  :hug3:

• Like 3

DH (naval architect and mechanical pencil fanatic) is super picky about all his writing/drawing stuff.  He says do not use any eraser that goes on the end of a mechanical pencil because they are all trash and leave marks.  Instead, buy the click erasers and use those instead.   He prefers Pentel, but any brand click eraser is better than those that go on the end of the pencils. 

https://www.amazon.com/Pentel-Retractable-Assorted-Barrels-ZE21BP3M/dp/B0047CT6SE/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=click+eraser&qid=1596913744&sr=8-3

I forgot about his work stuff.  This may be a good time to get some more led and pens for him.  (And now I'm sorry I asked him because I'm getting a lecture on .3, .5, and .7 and why he needs them all in like 5 different specific colors. ) 

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well, had to look up Colorado:

"Many states have annual sales tax holidays, during which certain items the state wants to promote the purchase of (like school supplies, emergency preparedness supplies, or energy efficient appliances) can be purchased sales tax free. Colorado, however, does not currently have any scheduled sales tax holidays. "

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

3 hours ago, euphrasyne said:

mechanical pencil fanatic

:wave:     Me toooo!  I think I got tired of trying to find a pencil sharpener that works.....yeah, Jeepers, like the ones in the old country school houses.  My folks finally did find one.  It's metal and sturdy; sharpens well.  [wiggle butt with pencil grinding????]  :unsure:  :shrug:  

But I love the mechanical ones!!  And yessss!  I use .5 only.   .7 is too fat.  Course I'm not into actual drafting so I just need a very thin line for my messy writing.  :lol:  

I always use the eraser on the end of the mech. pencil....cuz it's handy.  I have ENOUGH trouble keeping track of the pencils....always rolling off the bed/chair or getting stuck in the edge or hiding somewhere.  Don't need two things to keep track of.  I don't work at a desk....  :grinning-smiley-044:

Some erasers are better than others.  TIP:  if they get gunky with lead/graphite, run them along a piece of cloth or even carpet and it will clean them up.  I also reverse them in the end of the pencil sometimes.  If they get too short, I stick a bit of kleenex down in the hole and put eraser back in.  It raises it up somewhat to use more.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

OPINION POLL:   Since we're now in the electronic devices age.....

1)  Do you ever write / print anymore?  For what?

2) Do you tend to PRINT  or Write Cursive?

MtRider  ....just wondering  :shrug: 

• Like 4

I keep a paper planner.  Well....a couple of planners because I'm very, very OCD and they are for different things.  I get a lot of planner supplies for holidays because that is my main hobby.   I tend to make lists in print but write paragraphs in cursive.  Sometimes my to do list is filled with words that are half print/half cursive.  DH finds that hilarious.  I hate pencils though.  I'm a pen fanatic and I have many.  I even do math in pen.  It drove my teachers nuts in school, but I was like that then too.  The kids side with Mr. E and like mechanical pencils.  

I'm currently loving the Papermate Flair marker pens.   I decorate my planners every week in a different theme and color and I like to coordinate the ink to the layout.  For actual ink, I like the R2 blast in different colors.   I prefer a .7 but I write big so I can see it because I am blind as a bat.   DH prefers to write in .3 and draw in .5 and .7.  I like a few of the more expensive pens for black ink, but I mostly just refill a really nice blue and silver metal set I've had for 25 years.  

Daily/Weekly things I write:

Happy Planner (appointments, to-do lists, reminders)

Recollections Planner (weight, food, exercise, hygiene, etc.)

Recollections Teacher Planner (kids school stuff and other kid related stuff)

Old Daytimer/Franklin Covey hybrid of 'Projects'  

Menu Plan

Shopping Lists

Needed inventory updates +/- to be entered in excel when I have time

Journal Book I'm working on (called A Book that Takes its Time) guided journal type thing.  

Scrapbooks.  I usually hand write something about the pics or memory on the page.  

• Like 4

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

I prefer mechanical pencils too. I like that you can retract the lead. Especially when I'm using them in the bed. And they are always sharp when I grab one. I tried putting one of those little eraser caps on them but they are just a tad too small. I can get one on but it soon splits. 

When mine get too gunky I run them across what ever I'm wearing to clean them up. Usually jeans. :sEm_blush:   I have a supply of those rectangle pink erasers around. They work great but tend to get lost. 

All of my ink pens are black ink.  I'm going to get some blue ink pens just to shake things up a little.  

Okay, Euphrasyne is the Planner Queen.  :bow:

I'm putting together a planner for the new house. It's a month by month maintenance reminder binder. From furnace filter changes to mattress flipping. Monthly, seasonal, yearly chores. For both inside the house and out. And a car maintenance list. Plus all of the phone numbers, account numbers, passwords etc. to utilities I use and banking info and insurance numbers. Hopefully it will also come in handy for son after I pass. I even have a garden section in it. Oh, and everything I'm spending on home improvement with the date and where I bought it. It's just a binder with pocket dividers labeled for each subject. I even have a spring cleaning list. I'm forgetful so hopefully it will keep me on track. I need to put some lined paper in it for a quick jot down list starter. I plan to keep it someplace visible. Out of sight, out of mind. Pinterest has some good ideas and a few free down loads too. I took their ideas and made my own lists so every thing would be matchy-matchy and printed them out. 

Opinion Poll:

1. I write a lot of lists on sticky notes that I can take shopping with me. I also jot down quick notes, especially phone numbers etc. that I don't want to save for very long. I keep a running list of shopping items too. Also some wild ideas I want to explore further on the internet. And questions I might have before I make a phone call. I bought a lot of the lined sticky note pads and have them all over the house. 

2. I do both printing and cursive writing. There is no rhyme or reason to which I start out doing. Which ever one I start out with is what I stick with. I rarely mix the two. My cursive writing is much neater than my printing.

• Like 4

I love planners, but can't get into Pinterest because it would probably turn into a black hole that would suck up too much time for me.

Mechanical pencils leave too pale a line for me to see easily.  I like the very thin ink markers, though.  I bought some for DS2 to use on his models, then got some for myself to write with, and oh are they NICE.  Extremely fine lines, yet very dark and crisp letters.

• Like 5

AZ doesn’t have any tax free dates in 2020. :shrug:  One reason I get a lot of groceries when I go to TX, they don’t have state tax on food.

Writing... I write letters, in cursive & mail them.  Even use cursive on the envelope, because I am mean spirited about so many people who don’t know how to do it.  :whistling:

All my book work is hand written, mostly in cursive, on accounting ledgers (IRS inspected & approved.)

Grocery lists, ToDo lists, etc., cursive, (unless it’s very important not to forget, I print it out.), checks, cursive....

I do not use computerized stuff very often. At.All.  It gives me anxiety and confusion, because I always forget to look at it and miss a lot.  Old school...:blink:

DH got me a new old fashioned pencil sharpener for my birthday this year.  :hapydancsmil: I love it!  It has a manual tightening suction base.  I use mechanical pencils for book work and old fashioned wood & graphite for my art work, notes, messages, etc.  Now they are sharp, not a carved tip with a knife anymore. :happy0203:

• Like 5

Pinterest is a rabbit hole for sure. I make sure have plenty of time and something to drink before I click on. I know its going to take awhile.

I use cursive on envelops too. I never thought about people not being able to read it. LOL  Everything I mail out is in cursive. I think one way to get kids to learn it is to tell them it is a secret language and only certain people can read it. Kinda true.

One quirk I have though, is even when I do cursive I make my e and r as a printed capital letter. I started doing that in high school (to be super cool don't ya know) and I still do it today. Although the cool factor has worn off. I can do it the proper way but I have to stop and think about it.

• Like 4

Opinion poll:

I keep a printed daily planner

Printed grocery list

Printed garden planner

Printed Holiday planner

Digital daily to do list

Digital wish list

I usually print as my handwriting is so bad.  Left handed and slight hand tremors = I can barely read it myself

• Like 4

INTERESTING!!!   The main reason I wondered about cursive/printing is somewhere.....decades back in my history....I began to completely jumble them.  I think I began with using a sort-of printing First letters...like Jeepers mentioned.  [Books sometimes enlarge and use different font on first letter of each chapter....we're copying them, Jeepers]   Anyway, by now I don't know when the mixture of print/cursive started and frankly.....I don't think I noticed I was doing it until a few years ago.  My mom says I've been doing it in letters to her at least since college.  :shrug:

And I mean I mix them up WITHIN the same words.  Sounds like Euphrasyne does that too.  Odd, isn't it?   I wondered if it was an MS thing....but I no longer go to the mtgs so I can't ask. 

I journal daily....record basic events so that 1) my recent past is not such a blur [...did I eat breakfast today?] .  2) so if I need to go back and see  :tapfoot:   just how LONG I've been dealing with this foot injury, I can find the date.  I also write philosophical/pondering things or rants or whatever in the journal.  I also have alternating pages for my Bible Study in same spiral notebooks with the journal entries.  It's all in there.  Dozens of them.  And it's all a mishmash of printing/cursive.  All it done in .5 mech pencil.....lots of erase.  WAAY too many errors or illegible marks for using ink.  MS does affect my handwriting.  MOOD affects my handwriting too....especially size if I'm wound up!  I CAN WRITE REALLY LOUD!  And I draw my own smilies.  :)   :(   :mad:   ......... :lol:  !!

We use a wall calendar with big squares for important birth/death dates, anniversaries, etc written in at the beginning of the year.  We add appointments and such as they come along.  I'd be lost w/o that.  [BIG so I can see what day it is from across the room! ]

I keep long-term shopping notes and Don't Forget notes on my computer desktop.   Weekly grocery/Walmart lists on paper that DH takes to stores.  I try to keep those in PRINTING ....so DH can read them.     ......................yanno,  :scratchhead:   I don't know what DH writes in...cuz no one can read it!  :lol:   He's been accused of Egyptian hieroglyphics!!!!   

AND we write short term notes to Self and Each Other with soap on the bathroom mirror.  Everyone goes there often....just sayin'.  More effective than trying to "remember to tell DH something in the morning cuz he's asleep now....."   Or a B-day coming up and have to send a card soon, but not tomorrow... 

If I asked my DD's the same question:   ROLL EYES...Moooom!  It's on my PHONE of course! 

MtRider  :rolleyes: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 1

PA doesn't have any tax-free times.   We don't have a tax on clothing.    But, I think we have the highest taxes on gas and cell phones in the country. 

For the poll, I don't use devices, other than this computer, so I write things down.  I print more than in cursive.    I have an easier time quickly reading my printing than my cursive, so most things I print.   

DD is working on improving her printing this school year, but I will be making sure she learns to write in cursive in a few years.  She picked up how to read some cursive from looking at old death certificates and census records.  Her helping me with genealogy research.  :)

• Like 2

For back to school items, I had DH pick up more printer paper and more lined paper.   I think we have everything else.   Homeschool-wise, I have a couple things ordered to supplement.   Wow, there's a sudden high demand there.   August was already one of the months I tried to avoid ordering anything homeschooling as places were always the busiest then.  This year, so many, many things are backordered!  Even on the publishers sites, they are saying backordered/orders will be delayed.    I guess it's a supply and demand thing.  But, I also wonder if the printing companies in the USA are running slow with having to do things differently (social distancing, protocols, ect).

Mt. Rider, I use a capital letter e and r within the same words too. Not only at the beginning of a sentence. They are scaled down to size though and it looks like cursive. I forgot, I often use a capital s in the words too. 

I have one of those sticky note app things on my computers desk top. I write important things on it that I need to remember. Especially appointments. It stays right below my weather app so they are always there. 

I noticed a lot of items back ordered too. A lot of the school supplies at Wal-Mart today were generic brands. 

I got a butt wiggler pencil sharpener ordered. They had some sort of suctioned to a surface and some that screwed into the wall. I wasn't sure if the auction would hold vigorous cranking so I got the screw in type. I'll mount it in the supply closet. Dry wall may not hold it kind either and I'm not going to mount it on the molding because it isn't painted wood and I don't want to read it up any more that it already is. I also ordered some drawers and some socks. I'm good now for quite awhile. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jeepers said:

butt wiggler pencil sharpener ordered

:grinning-smiley-044:

What brand?  Mine is Exacto.  Works pretty good.  It's a screw to wall not suction.

MtRider  ....watch:  Jeepers is going to patent that Butt Wiggler brand 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Haha 2

I didn't buy anything for the tax free weekend. Been many years since I had to buy school supplies.  We are good on all kinds of craft stuff, computer paper and ink for printer. I have lots of pens and pencils as well as a very old timey pencil sharpener. That thing still works good. To bad they didn't put TV's on the tax free list. Not happy about buying another TV for bedroom, but it keeps DH entertained. Think I will just take my time about buying one. Dryer comes first, and who knows when the car will get fixed. I am thinking about calling the main offices over this.  If that transmission goes out or causes the car to catch fire. They will have more than a lawsuit to deal with. There are several things that could happen and none of them good.

• Sad 3
1 hour ago, Mt_Rider said:

:grinning-smiley-044:

What brand?  Mine is Exacto.  Works pretty good.  It's a screw to wall not suction.

MtRider  ....watch:  Jeepers is going to patent that Butt Wiggler brand 

Great. Jeepers will patent it and be rich.   For the rest of us, it will be another infomerical-type commerical where we have to see butts wiggle.  <_<   :0327:

However, MtRider and I will cash in on the fame of the Jeepers-Butt-Wiggler-Pencil-Sharpener-Exercise-Gadget by writing a tell-all about our Indy trip and what it was like to know Jeepers back then.  :girlneener:

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary
  • Haha 2

Butt Wiggler Pencil Sharpener. Sharpens your pencil, tones your butt an arms and teaches you how to dance all at the same time. A must have for all the really cool people in your life. You heard it here first. Don't worry, I won't forget about the little people.  :grinning-smiley-044:   And I said what happens in Indiana stays in Indiana! :tapfoot:

The electric sharpener is an Exacto and the Butt Wiggler® I ordered is an Exacto too. 

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, Jeepers said:

And I said what happens in Indiana stays in Indiana! :tapfoot:

Oh you know those rules never hold......

Except if it's about Georgia .... 

MtRider   ....never mind....  :whistling: 

• Haha 1