MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Derecho - Big Baaad WIND moving east 8/10/2020

Mt_Rider

began in Neb/S Dakota.....   MASHED thru Iowa! 

Mother, are you alright in Illinois?

Moved slowly thru Indiana and southern Wisconsin

Northern tail of it is up in Michigan

Southern tail is still in Missouri.....WE2's????

6:30 Mountain time....it's in Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, and trailing out of Missouri. 

IF IT DOESN'T BREAK APART....it will be hitting ==

eastern Michigan, Ohio [look out, Jeepers], and Kentucky

My brother is watching it from his boat in Virginia...but will retreat to clubhouse but hopefully it will break up before then.  [ Little Sister and Euphrasyne ]

Doppler looks like it's beginning to break up ...maybe.  I'm not a meteorologist. 

In Iowa, it achieved straight-line winds up OVER 100mph.  Big damage with huge trees down....

MtRider  Praying for all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Mt. Rider I missed this somehow.  So far our news hasn't said a word about it but did get the info from the USA Alerts. hoping and praying it does't come this way.  All those in the path of this storm, please stay safe. 

I think I had posted a section on checking in on a weekly basis.  This would be a good time to do that so everyone will know everyone is doing ok in these storms.  I will hunt it down and bump it up.

Without the HEAT to keep it moving, it's stalled out and reduced power in the vicinity of the Ohio River.  Not going to reach my brother/niece or you, Little Sister and E.   

Initially it flew thru Iowa.  Didn't get up to northern Ohio.  It's been in southern Illinois and Indiana and around Dayton, Ohio for hours but, storm cells are greatly reduced.  Still showing some red/yellow on Doppler.  Still a lot of plain, ole green [rain] too. 

But....those areas might have flooding, depending on how much rain has been coming down.  In a derecho, it's the straight-line wind that is so dramatic.....and damaging.  

https://www.indystar.com/story/weather/indianapolis/2020/08/10/indianapolis-weather-derecho-what-and-how-could-affect-you/3337039001/

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/powerful-derecho-leaves-path-devastation-midwest-72291881

This is a photograph from Iowa earlier today. This is what 90-100 mph winds can do. Stay weather aware tonight!

EfFCMT-WoAEHBn-.jpg

WireAP_fa4a07f0b5d947f2bfb40ad420af5d12_16x9_992.jpg

HOPEFULLY, it's running out of steam....

MtRider  :pray:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2

My step daughter is in southwestern IL and got hit pretty good.  She had two huge dead trees taken down about 2 months ago.  Thank God!  As it is, one of her living trees fell on the fence between her house and the School next door.  Too big of a limb to move so now she is looking for help to get that taken care of.  So glad she and her family are all safe!

• Like 3

We are okay here. Trees and limbs down everywhere around the property. (All over everywhere in the area actually)   Electricity (and Internet) came back on this afternoon.  We lost everything in two refrigerators but held the freezers with generators.  Our worst problem was water as we didn't want to install the hand pump for the well for what we hoped would be only a few days.  Thankfully we were able to get it from our son in a nearby small village.  It was a mess with all electric out but water tower intact.  US Cellular had no service and the whole last two days was like a scene from one of Mt. R's What If's!   Years of being prepared (and DGS) got us through but we're getting too old and too ill for this.   We heard over 200,000 without electricity here.  There are still thousands without power

First picture is the limb that just grazed both vehicles.  And that was after it had been cut away.  Second is taken through my bedroom window. This limb was hanging over the roof but because of the strong winds landed just off the corner.  God is indeed good! 

:pray: for all who have been affected by this storm.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Mother
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Thank you Jeepers. I wasn't all that scared while it was happening.  DH and I stood in our built-in greenhouse and watched the tree limbs crash down around us.  Maybe It's a Midwest thing LOL.  That is, until some of those limbs started hitting the polycarbonate roof. :tinfoilhatsmile: :behindsofa:  

This storm was so wide spread that most in our family were affected in some way:  trees down, electric out, damage to homes, and etc.  thankfully almost all are preppers.  We will band together to do various clean up and repair and to restock lost preps. 

Suggestion....  If any of you have not practiced for no electric you might want to consider doing so.  Better to find out what you are missing or what would make things easier before it happens.  We are old hands at it.  So old that some of our preps are outdated and worn.  They work but not all that well!  Like me. 👵🏻

• Like 4

Oye!  Glad to see you checking in, Mother.  I knew you were in the path.  I heard about it right after it went thru Pleasant Valley... from friends from 'back home' .  MO friend's son is there.  That was before a lot of weather people had correctly interpreted that massive Leading Edge of RED on the Doppler.  I've now heard finally today, about kin from all across Iowa.  Like you, trees down and some without electricity but everyone is fine. 

All those fine OLD MASSIVE midWest trees!  :(   I'm actually surprised that I haven't heard of more deaths/injuries.....  I heard of 2 in Indiana, I think.  They JUST got the dome back on the wonderful old Marshalltown courthouse from a tornado some years ago.  Now, tho there is new damage there, the dome held - according to my cousin. 

How's the crops in your area, Mother?  Orchards?  :(     I was HORRIFIED to see pics of corn and....what I think was soy beans.... absolutely FLATTENED.  I wasn't even sure it was beans..... and I've walked enough bean fields weeding out jimsonweed, button weed, and morning glory to KNOW a bean field.  But it looked like a solid mash of green. 

I think my very first Without Warning was loss of electric.  I never did get all of the WW posts pulled out of the archives and into a stationary place in RURR.  :shrug:    But you're absolutely right.  We who are old pros at this....can certainly STILL find surprises.  :busted:    Can always learn more and should triple check what we THINK we have.  [as in:  NOOO...tell me I did NOT leave the batteries in my good headlamp and now there is all this corrosion crud in there!!!!!! ]  :buttercup: 

Glad your kin is safe too, Miki!  Hard to hear when there are so many systems down....cell towers,  electric, Internet... 

MtRider  ....have we all checked in now?  :grouphug:  .....except Dee....

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dee may check in on her own but she is okay too. Over 1/3 of Iowa's planted crop land was hit.  Think of the ramifications that has on our food supply!   The cascade that started with the Covid is continuing to fall.  Please, everyone, look to the bigger picture.  

You  are right, Mt. R.  One of the first WW was no electricity.  The first story writing challenge I put on the Fireside was about an EMP.  I started it with a specific date when it supposedly hit and members wrote their stories starting from where they were then. We had some great stories.  I believe they are still there to read but they were a long time ago.  Things change, new preps come out, new techs abound.  I have written several various versions of that first EMP story since then using different characters in each and still haven't run out of new info for them.  Does the Fireside have a specific moderator(s)?  Perhaps it's time to get the members writing their own survival stories again. 

:pc_coffee::reading: :shrug:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We weren't touched here...thank the Lord.  I seldom have on the TV or radio during the day unless DH is inside.  That day we had overcast skies and a nice gentle rain.  I had NO idea this horrible storm was going on.  Talk about having my head in the sand....right Mother??? LOL  

My cousin in Beaverdale, part of Des Moines, just got her electricity back on a couple of hours ago.  They, like so many other places, were hit hard but her house, trees, etc. had no damage.  I can't say that for other relatives.  Others are still out.

Mother is right about crops in Iowa being down.  They say 1/3 of the crops are flattened, which they also say is 10,000,000 acres.  Unbelievable!!!

• Sad 1

Mother and Dee, So glad neither of you were harmed in that storm.  It looks like it was a really bad one with the crops being 1/3ed destroyed. They showed a corn field that was totally destroyed and just before the harvest. that is not good. Food will go up. Things like corn and other stuff will be going up. They already said tomatoes were going up and here they are. I can still get a sale of them and buy when I find them on sell since I was not able to plant my garden this year. I feel like I am going through  storm without my garden. Prices are really rising.  

Mother in that one picture it looks like your van was never touched by those trees.  God was looking out for you for sure.

2 hours ago, Dee said:

Talk about having my head in the sand....right Mother??? LOL

All I can say, Dee, is that I've joined you a few times in that sand too :buttercup:.  

Little sister.  Our van was only slightly scratched on a fender.  When I first looked out at it though the van was buried under branches. Looked ominous. I took the picture after DGS cut the branch away.  I never remember to take pictures right away!  

Food will definitely go up in price because of this storm. . The cascade effect will continue for a year or more because it's too late to replant. Corn and soy are staples in more ways than just food.  There is ethanol, natural 'plastics', oils, medicinals, and livestock feed just to name a few uses. Then there is the more obscure food sources such as corn starch, corn syrup, soy lecithin, fillers, thickeners, and more. All those and so much more could be scarce and extremely high priced for months to come.  Iowa is a prime state for corn and soy and this loss will hurt everyone. We haven't even touched on the loss of jobs and income throughout the whole industry (farmers, field workers, semi drivers, grain distributors and mills, and etc.); the rise in unemployment; the run on food stamps (you know? On those foods that will now be scarce!); the rise in crop insurance premium for next year that could be reflected in the product price for us.  All these are just the tip of the iceberg.  I didn't mention the underwater parts that we don't see but are going to be felt.  All from one storm.

Yes, the entire nation will eventually be touched by this loss as will many other nations which rely on the import of these crops. I plan to start buying a few necessities before the prices hit the shelves if products are available. 

:grouphug:

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, Now we have a double hurricane heading toward San Luis Pass, TX to intracoastal City, LA. It has intensified. Marco and Laura.  Laura will become a cat. 3 when it hits land. I can't remember when the last time there was double hurricanes in the Gulf Stream.

Since i don't know who lives in what cities, Just please everyone in the area of these hurricanes stay safe and don't take chances. Leave if you need to. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
On 8/14/2020 at 3:57 PM, Mother said:

All I can say, Dee, is that I've joined you a few times in that sand too :buttercup:.  

Little sister.  Our van was only slightly scratched on a fender.  When I first looked out at it though the van was buried under branches. Looked ominous. I took the picture after DGS cut the branch away.  I never remember to take pictures right away!  

Food will definitely go up in price because of this storm. . The cascade effect will continue for a year or more because it's too late to replant. Corn and soy are staples in more ways than just food.  There is ethanol, natural 'plastics', oils, medicinals, and livestock feed just to name a few uses. Then there is the more obscure food sources such as corn starch, corn syrup, soy lecithin, fillers, thickeners, and more. All those and so much more could be scarce and extremely high priced for months to come.  Iowa is a prime state for corn and soy and this loss will hurt everyone. We haven't even touched on the loss of jobs and income throughout the whole industry (farmers, field workers, semi drivers, grain distributors and mills, and etc.); the rise in unemployment; the run on food stamps (you know? On those foods that will now be scarce!); the rise in crop insurance premium for next year that could be reflected in the product price for us.  All these are just the tip of the iceberg.  I didn't mention the underwater parts that we don't see but are going to be felt.  All from one storm.

Yes, the entire nation will eventually be touched by this loss as will many other nations which rely on the import of these crops. I plan to start buying a few necessities before the prices hit the shelves if products are available. 

:grouphug:

Years and years ago, I was part of a now non-existant board about celiac disease.   There were people on there allergic to corn.  Even with all the stuff I have to avoid now, I'm so thankful I'm not allergic to corn!  Here's some stuff most people don't think of when it comes to corn:

plastic wrap (they don't have to list it, but corn oil to keep it from sticking to itself)

paper cartons--Milk, juice containers, ect

regular table salt (I think it's listed as an ingredient)

toothpaste

most paper products

fillers in many medications (I'm thankful when it's corn not wheat)

pop/soda (corn syrup)

• Like 4

Yeah, corn has anti-caking.  Anti-sticking?....didn't know it was in plastic wrap.  It's EVERYWHERE!  :runcirclsmiley2:    I avoid eating a lot of it, but I don't have a strong reaction.  Tiny amounts wouldn't do anything, for me. 

Hope the rest of the mid-west has a good corn crop.  They might just get a living wage for their corn this year! 

Yeah....in other BIG WIND NEWS:  What Lil Sister said.  Everyone in the path ...prep quick.  Marco is now fizzled down...spinning on itself.  Knocked on LA's door -- they didn't answer so he went away.  Likely Marco brought in some extra flooding tho....diminished as he is...was.

H. Laura is the ambitious type.  Despite staying a tropical storm, did an unfortunate amount of damage across the Caribbean islands.  :(   They don't have organized govt to even distribute the donated supplies sometimes.  But people make do....over and over again.  :pray:  

H. Laura has graduated to Cat 2 and aims for a Cat 3 crown :darlenequeen:   before paying an unwelcome visit to land again.  Best guess at this point:  Border of LA and TX.  Doppler isn't even showing Marco now so what's done is done on that one.

MtRider  :pray:   ....it's 2020

• Like 1

Laura is coming in at a Cat. 4.  Everyone please, if you  are in that area get out if you can.  If you are able to stay then get prepared if not to late. I think this was to hit sometime today.  This one will be worse because of the first one that Marco I'm sure caused flooding witch in turn would make it easier for trees to come down.  Bad situation.

Praying for everyone in those areas of this hurricane. :pray::pray::pray:

• Like 3