MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Need help finding canning flats

Hi all,

Has anyone had a hard time finding canning flats? I was well stocked at the beginning of the season and now I am running low (I have eight left),  my husband and I went to five stores yesterday and no one had canning flats. We went to the big box stores Walmart, Meijer, etc. Those stores  should have had them, but they didn't even have jars, much less flats.  This morning I called our local grocery store, which always has a well stocked canning department this time of year. The gentleman I spoke with said no one can get canning supplies. Is anyone else finding this to be true in your area?

So, if you have found flats online ( we found them online but they are super expensive), for a decent price, could you point me in the right direction? I would really appreciate it.

Its been hard to find any canning items since February.   Amazon has a few here and there but it is very expensive.  I'm seeing almost none in the stores.  I did pick up a handful from Kroger but I got the last one when I saw them a month ago.  

• Like 1

I see very few jars, lids or sure jel anywhere!  I put a request on my Church facebook page and got a bunch of jars.  I just have to pick up what I can when I see it.  Sorry I can't help.  Are there Amish or Mennonite stores near you?  They seem to have more supplies, but there are none near me.

• Like 1

It has been the same here. No canning supplies to be found. I have been looking everywhere for wide mouth pint jars as that is what i use the most of. I have plenty of quart jars and will just have to start using those for what I can in pint jars. I have about 4 flats of small mouth pints that I will be using soon. But when they are gone that will be it unless I can find somewhere that has them.  I fear that this is only the beginning of things to disappear. First the TP and other paper products, then cleaning supplies, wipes, bleach, etc. Though we are seeing some things coming back it is at an inflated price.  Recession and Depression is on the rise. Things are going to get worse before they get better. 

• Like 1

Well, my husband found this company out of Reed City, Mi. He ordered me a few dozen to try out, they are tops you can reuse. It will take two weeks to get my order, but if they work, i'm ordering more. 

I'm linking their facebook page in case anyone else wanted to order some. 

Has anyone tried these?
https://business.facebook.com/reusablecanninglids/

Edited by kathy003

Hello Kathy,  I have been using tattler lids for a few years now. There is a learning curve to them.  On the one time use ones you don't tighten them as tight, but on the tattle you tighten them and don't back off to loosen the ring. Keep the rings on tighter.  That has always worked best for me.  Others on here that has used them could also give you suggestions on using them as well. When you first use them the first time,  you could practice by canning water. That way you won't have to redo any food you did if they didn't work the first time.  Just remember to tighten them more so than with the one time lids.

Little sister,

I believe you are right. Not only were the things you listed hard to find, so were gardening supplies and most seeds. Thankfully, we had a stockpile of seeds on hand. Tomato plants and seeds seemed especially hard to find. We stopped at a nursery and found tomato plants on clearance for $1, so we bought about 30 of them. 

Have you tried hardware stores? Ace Hardware usually carries canning supplies. Not sure about now though. I found some at my local drug store.  Discount Drug Mart. I usually have better luck with the smaller stores that people forget about. 

• Like 1