MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Food4Patriots Review

Several years ago hubby purchased a sample pack of Food4Patriots I put in our overflow pantry thinking we would try it one day. Well today was that day. The temp has dropped and I was in the mood for potato soup. We had been discussing ordering more so that we could have them for camping supplies. I pulled out the cheddar potato soup and followed the instructions. 

First... it was really watery. 

Second...Way too salty

Third...tasted like it was made with sour milk. 

We have kept it at the recommended temperature so I am not sure what is wrong. I don't think I want to try the remaining three packs. Nor will I be purchasing more for our camping supplies. I think I will just stick to my Harmony House soups for camping. Or better yet make my own when things are in stock again. 

Hubby's final review :yuk:

• Thanks 2

Those are all common issues with dehydrated soups and the main reason I prefer to buy the base ingredients instead of the soup itself.  You can make what you have left edible by doing the following:

1) add less liquid, a thicker liquid ( like milk or cream) or add a thickener like some mashed potato flakes.  

2) Most of them are super salty.  Add in some veggies, meat or low salt liquid to cut the salt.  (if you use more liquid, you may need more seasoning)

3) The buttermilk flavor is popular in many potato soups.  It is acidic.  Cut it with a small amount of baking soda or other alkaline food.  

A lot of times I would use the package as a 'base' for a slightly larger batch of homemade soup with other canned/dehydrated items in it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well since I can't edit the above post I will just add a second review down here.

So the Liberty Bell Potato Cheddar Soup was a bust I mean it was a big fat ZERO out of Five and I was ready to chunk the remaining three packs but hubs talked me out of it.

Today we had Granny's Homestyle Potato soup and had just the opposite issues. It was bland. I mean this would make the perfect sick bed bland soup. I had to add salt, pepper, and butter. I even added sour cream and cheese. It was still really watery. If I had some potato flakes I would have add them to thicken it up.  This one I will give 2.5 out of 5. It was edible but needed some TLC to give it some pizazz. 

We have Broccoli & Cheese Soup and Blue Ribbon Cheesy Rice to go. Cheese again...not super excited about their cheese products. Stay tuned for more reviews.

• Thanks 2

Several years ago I purchased a huge amount of mylar bags...some that were the quart size with zip lock tops.  I make my own "traveling" meals...I put an oxygen absorber in them and press out as much air as I can before I seal them.  Have used them in our travel trailer as "emergency" food.  You can also vacuum seal "meals in jar". We were gifted with some MRE's but haven't touched them.  They're our "last ditch meal"! LOL  

• Like 1

I was looking around for oat groats on the net yesterday, and stumbled across USAEmergencySupply site. They are backed up TEN WEEKS on their food supplies. Are they ALL like this? I've been care-giving the elderly and seem to have my head in the sand.  :0327: 

We don't need anything due to the wonderful garden harvesting going on, but I would have high blood pressure by now if I was an urban dweller, both for food and for rioting.  :sad-smiley-012:

yes they are all backed up.  Rainy Day quoted me 6 weeks in march and it took 8 then.  They are even more backed up now.

Thank you for the reviews. Apparently I am not missing much by making my own.  I will stick to my own "instant" potato soup mix I learned to make in Girl Scouts years ago: 

INSTANT POTATO SOUP FOR CAMPING

1 3/4 cups instant mashed potatoes
 1 1/2 cups dried milk
 2 tablespoons instant chicken bouillon
 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
 1 teaspoon dried parsley
 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
 1/4 tsp onion powder (if no minced onion used)

1/8 tsp garlic powder 
Combine all ingredients in a bowl; mix well.
Put ingredients in a large zipper-type plastic bag and seal tightly.
To serve, place 1/2 cup mix in soup bowl; add 1 cup of boiling water; stir until smooth.  It will be quite HOT so let cool before scarfing it down.

Play with the seasonings until you get the combintion you like.  I add celery leaf flakes (saved & dehydrated) when I hav them (1/2 to 1 tsp).

This can be varied all kinds of ways to suit your taste. Best of all I can make it to suit special needs & wants - less salt by using low sodium bouillon; use turmeric (1/4 tsp) instead of the garlic (makes a mellow goldenc color); add bacon bits, or dried cheese.  Make as thick or thin as you want by adjusting amount of water & mix.  I have not tried with buttermilk powder but that also sounds darn tasty.  Who knows, you might discover a new recipe for instant loaded baked potato soup!

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 3