Pounding Headache :fryingpan:

Germs  :kissy: 

Chills :frozen:

Fever :fever: 

Nausea :unsure:

Intestinal Issues  :hidingsmile: 

Sniffles And Sneezes  :yar: 

Coughing And Sore Throat  :mornincoffee:

Remember the run on toilet paper and med supplies etc. this year? It could happen again with this second wave of Covid coming through. Only worse with the world situation so unpredictable right now. People are edgy. Please make sure your cold and flu medicine supply is well stocked up right now while the stores still have whatever you take on the shelves.

Because:

1. You may not be able to find it when you need it

2. Price gouging

3. Fighting the crowds of people needing your meds

4. You're a prepper pro...you already know how to do this

5. Shopping while sick...sucks

Along with OTC meds any herbs/vitamins/minerals you might take. It took me months to find zinc. 

Also store whatever your easy to fix comfort foods are. Crackers, cookies, soup, Jell-O, 7-Up, Pepsi, Gatorade, tea, ramen noodles, spaghetti-o's, bread for toast...whatever makes you feel better that you can keep down. Or in. 

Worse case scenario is you don't need it and it will still be good next year. Or maybe that is the best case scenario. Either way, don't wait too long to prep it.

So, before the porcelain throne suddenly becomes your new BFF, get er done.  Jeepers cheering you on -------> :cheer:

• Thanks 3

:thumbs:   Very good reminder post, Jeepers!  :thumbs:  

Being sick at the same time was our first motivation back in January to stock up fully on these things.  Supplies still in place or replenished regularly.  Don't forget that Ramen comes in Kim Chee flavor....if you like SPICE to clear sinus!!  :knary:  Garlic/Ginger/Red Pepper!    :behindsofa:  ...Not for me!  

We recently got a brand new porcelain throne ....and it's tooo tall.  My feet dangle!  Not even a 'disability' height either.  Ugh!  Had to arrange for a foot stool, for pete's sake!  .... hugging throne ...sitting on footstool....  :wacko: 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 1

Take it from someone that just got over COVID....JUICE lots of JUICE. I am going to go back to stocking frozen juice. It was the only thing I wanted while I was sick.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We have a load of Gatorade powder.  DH has a lot of bottles of juice down in basement....quantity unknown to me.  I barely get down there now. 

....hope you are completely over COVID, Mommato3.  Hear it's nasty if you're over 30...  :fever: 

MtRider  :bev: 

• Like 3

I ordered some Gatorade powder from Wal-Mart online. Everyone in the family likes it so it won't go to waste. I ordered a blue, yellow, orange and red. I don't remember the names. I also wanted some purple but they didn't offer it. It was $8.38 a container and makes 6 gallons. At first I thought that was high but figured out it's $1.40 a gallon so it didn't sound quite so bad for an electrolyte drink. It arrives tomorrow. I just hope the canisters aren't messed up. 

• Like 3

A couple of weeks before my Dr. appointment I refilled my meds.  I get a 3 months supply on each refill and insurance helps pay for it.  So, 2 weeks later at my Drs. appointment I asked if she'd call the pharmacy so I cold get another 6 months worth of meds.  I told her with this crazy world who knew where we'd be in 3 months with shortages, including possibly meds..  She agreed so I now have 9 months worth of meds on hand.  It will get me through to next June.  Being on Medicare and with my supplemental insurance not all of my costs are covered anyway and these extra 6 months that was out of pocket was a little over $200.  Am I crazy?  Possibly but I'm glad it's taken care of.

• Like 4

Not crazy at all. Sometimes you have to weigh the pros and cons. In my opinion...it's something you will use anyway, it won't spoil, prices usually only go upward and the peace of mind is definitely worth it. 

Every three months rotate through them and put the newest ones away. That way you will always be six months ahead. Assuming you stay on the same meds. 

• Like 2

I wonder if our doctors would do that.  If I could get 6 months that would be great. Right now I am back have issues with Harris Teeter not wanting to fill for 3 months even though that is how the doctor is writing them.  I might have to change pharms. 

• Sad 1

I recently had two of my three RX's put on every three month refills and am ahead on one of them by almost six months, the other by four.  One is still a month at a time but at least it's not a critical one like the other two.  Thankfully I have a knowledge of herbal medicinal usage and keep a rotated supply of the herbal (and homeopathic) substitutes for all my (and DH's) med. I would not just stop one and start the other but would slowly transition to them if needed and have already made sure I would not have an adverse reaction to them if I did. It never hurts to have a back up plan. 

In the mean time I am trying to keep my lifestyle and diet healthy to minimize the need for the meds to begin with.   With my health issues it's not easy and perhaps not even totally possible but it is part of my prepping plan.  Like all other preps, it does no good to get/have/do them AFTER TSHTF. I know many people who depend totally on their meds to function, type one diabetics comes to mind as do some heart patients.   Does anyone else have plans in place to eventually replace or reduce their dependence on meds? 

:grouphug:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Mother said:

It never hurts to have a back up plan. 

:thumbs:    Right about NOW.....imperative to have back up plan for life-critical meds!!  DH being trained extensively for chiro/herbal/nutritional....kept trying and trying to use his own methods for his own high BP, diabetes, etc.  He's at the point currently where that just didn't work any more.  He's still doing herbal/nutritional products to supplement the chemical meds....so he doesn't have use as much....  

If it's possible to .....I hesitate to write this cuz in SOME circumstances/SOME meds, it could be very risky ....so DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH FOR YOU OWN SITUATIONS.....    DH is aware that he's able to take less of the diabetes med while he's supplementing with his own herbal.  The herbal is not quite enough but his 'script might be for :whistling: ...maybe more than he usually needs.  So he might have extra left when he can fill the next 'script.  Hypothetically, y'know..... 

UNDERSTAND THIS....if we could rely on this ole world holding together as we've known it....who would have to even consider this?  But if, hypothetically, he could not get this vital med for whatever reason, then this means he would have some period of time to ....ease off of the 'script As Mother mentioned.  Or maybe, the supply chains could be back in order again....sometime when it's not they year 2020.  :sassing:   Then he would have gotten thru the No Supply time period and is alive on the other side of this hypothetical crisis.    { pssst, we'll just assume no one on MrsS is our doctor, right?}  :hidingsmile: 

UNDERSTAND ALSO.....DH had years of medical training for functions of the body.  While he did not have pharmaceutical medication training, he had background in all the sciences including chemistry.  And he took extra training to actually formulate herbal, nutritional medications.   He ran a lab.  He has loads more training/knowledge to do this sort of thing than the average lay person.  What I'm trying to say is please be careful.....messing with your chemical 'scripts can be easy or can be very dangerous.  You have to know the difference!  If they'd be open, please DO talk to your doc about this.  Many are seeing this tsunami as well as we do and would help to the extent of their laws and regulations will allow.  Use their cooperation /guidance if you can. 

MtRider  ....skating on thin ice .....same goes for all those sick guppies ...  :grouphug: 

• Like 3

I have a lot of back up meds because I would skip dosages. Not on purpose but because my sleep pattern is so bad. I would often play catch up on my sleep and sleep tight through them. Or my stomach would be too empty to take them and I'd forget. My guppies are well taken care of too. I think I'm pretty good in that area. Herbs just don't work well for me. Plus I have a lot of medical allergies.

Mt. Rider is right. Mixing OTC meds with Rx meds can be very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. I think I'm having those issues right now. I added mineral supplements to my Rx meds. I've noticed the last month I've been having sever nausea and some vomiting. I think the culprit is the magnesium and potassium I've been taking. I looked up my Rx blood pressure pills and one of them already contains potassium. I think I'm over dosing. According to Dr. Google, both minerals can cause my symptoms. Tonight is the last night I'm going to take them and see if that is the cause. 

I have plans to reduce my med intake. It's just not implemented. Diet and exercise. I hate both of those. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Luckily, we don't take any prescription drugs in our house.  

We do have obscene amounts of allergy meds, ibuprofen, a small stash of Tylenol, and practically everything to fight respiratory crud.  I need to buy more Aleve, but in the tablet form that we don't use as much because if we don't have electricity, the gel capsules will just melt together during the summer.  It doesn't work as fast on hubby's migraines, but it does work.

We also have a stash of supplements, which I have the training to use - including professional grade oregano to help fight infections and large amounts of Vitamin C.

• Like 4

I never thought about gel caps melting together but you are right, they sure do. I always get the gel caps because I 'think' they work faster. I keep a small bottle of them in the car and they really stick together. Especially in the summer. I need to change them out for some tablets. Duh. 

• Like 3

Jeepers, I have a special fish oil pill I take daily called ocean blue. This is the first time they came stuck together as they are a liquid jell caps. I do supplement some of my meds. but not for DH as he has to many heart meds and I am not chancing those. But we both take the same B/P meds and potassium and I am well stocked on that.  Also for type 2 diabetics, i have a supplement for that that is working for both of us. So I am now starting to get a build up of those meds for us. I stopped taking the metformin as it has had to many recalls from so many different companies. I am well stocked on those but need to take the time to check them for recalls.   We see our family doctor in November and I am going to ask him if he would call in the normal 3 months supply of meds and write RX's for another 3 months that I can take to another drug store and just pay cash for those to get us through this winter. That would put us well over the 6 months stock.  I did order more antibiotics for my fish. Gotta keep the fish healthy for our aquapontics garden. 

• Like 3

I forgot and took the added potassium and magnesium tonight with my meds. I'm nauseous and faint. I had to sit down on the floor twice so I wouldn't pass out. Wish I hadn't done that. I'm going through my pill organizer now to get them out of there before I do it again. 

My neck has been on fire today. I rubbed some CBD cream on it and I think it might have helped. Could have just been the Advil and heating pad though. I'll keep trying it for a couple of weeks before I try the Bio Freeze I picked up this week.

I need a new microwave bag for my neck. One with a removable cover that can be washed. Especially since I'm probably going to be using a lot of different junk on the neck. I could probably see some nice flannel covers for it. 

• Like 3

Wow, I read how you all are dealing with your hair. I’m very impressed!  I had a dream recently, that I had long thick hair. I was extremely excited, then, I woke up. Lol. My hair won’t grow much beyond my bra strap. Haven’t cut it in 30 years.  Tried to trim it to make it grow, but, lost length and it took over a year to grow back.  Then, the other day, when I went to the credit union, my teller had her hair braided, like I had done mine that day.  Her braid was 2-3” thick!  Mine, maybe 1/4 th inch thick at the back of my neck, and less than 1/8” or less near the end... which, I don’t use any ties, and it doesn’t unravel.  Sigh.  A bun, if I tuck the end in, usually only needs a small stick or just one bobby-pin, to keep it there.  Sigh.  Lol, like the time I wanted a spiral perm, years & years ago, it lasted a week... top went straight & the under hair kept a small bit of the perm.  My Solon recommended never to try again & gave me a refund.  :008Laughing: Thin, extremely straight hair.  I did corn row mini braids, one time, left them in, showering and washing them daily, for a couple of weeks, when I took them out, the waves lasted an half a day.  Yup...it’s straight.  Soooo... the moral of this story is, love what you have, I wish I had that problem.  DH says I have the best of both, bun it, it’s like a short cut, yet, I can let it down, and have semi long hair.  :blink: 

• Like 3

I used to work with a girl whose hair was thin and straight. It only grew about two inches below her shoulder. It would never grow any longer. I knew her nearly ten years and her hair style never changed. 

The thought of a perm triggers my post traumatic stress disorder. My mother gave me a home Toni perm right before my kindergarten school picture. It's still the family joke. About two weeks after 'The Perm' I looked like Little Orphan Annie with pupils. In my first grade picture my hair is board straight with short bangs. I look like two totally different humans. Remember the big hair in the 80's. Yep, I got another perm. I looked like a freekin' poodle. I actually paid money for that fiasco. If I ever mention getting a perm again someone slap me. Hard.

• Like 2

My hair has gotten very thin over the years do to thyroid issues.  But it does grow fast. It was almost down to the small of my back and I cut off 3 inches. Wish my hands would work with me so I could braid my hair again. Old arthritis just won't leave my hands alone. Can't do things as easy as I used to these days. I have more gadgets to open bottles with than you could even imagine.  The things we do when we get old to make life easier. 

• Like 1

Mt. Rider, hope you get your energy back soon. I know how that is. Today is one of those days. No energy. I think DH has passed his sinus infection on to me though I am only just a bit stuffed up right now. Started on the airborne. Though we are both already taking Vit. C and zinc. 

I hit a sale in the middle of night last night. Yeah, I am nuts. Couldn't sleep and was thinking about all the vitamins and other meds we have in closet in boxes and in other places as well. Ii have been thinking about how I am going to properly store all the meds I have. I saw a post where someone had used the square cloth or cardboard cloth covered storage boxes and had them all separated into those and labeled.  Wayfair had a sale on storage solutions.  I got 18 boxes.  they come in a 6 pk. They only had the navy blue ones left and I really didn't care about color as they will be on closet shelves anyway.  Also bought 6 of the blanket boxes to store the extra blankets and sheets I have. At least they will be better stored in linen closet and not just put in there loose. The boxes it states will hold 4 or 5 queen size blankets. That would be great if they do.  The closet would look much neater and give me much more room for the other things that need to be transferred to the linen closet. Also had been looking for something to store all my first aid stuff in other than in duffle bags and tackle boxes.  It is all stuffed into 2 tackle boxes and 4 duffle bags.  So found a suitcase that is  like a back pack but on wheels. It has several storage areas in it and I can get everything into that one suitcase and have it all better organized. Then my duffle bags will be free for my emergency bags if we ever have to leave due to hurricane or what ever. The fishing boxes, I could use for other things but not sure yet. Thinking on that one.

• Like 2

My hair is fine but relatively thick considering thyroid issues.  I quit coloring and perming many years ago and went "natural" and letting it grow.  It was mid way down my back a few months ago and I got the bright idea of cutting about 6 inches off and layering it.  NEVER again!  I still end up clipping it up or putting it in a pony tail.  I don't do braids...just don't like them with my hair type.  Absolutely straight (hubby says he's never seen anyone with hair so straight!) and won't hold a curl at all, especially since it went silver!

When my first husband passed (we had been married for 42 years) I grieved so deeply (I guess) that I developed Alopacea and had bald places where hunks of my hair fell out.  I started using Pine Tar shampoo and it eventually healed.  Using hair conditioners only make my hair worse about holding curl, so I just don't even try.  I'm letting it grow back out and then I'll use conditioner on it and just let it grow to where I'm uncomfortable with it, and can pull it around and trim it myself, and then have hubby cut the straight cut at my back.  Just works for me so I'll be doing it again! LOL

• Like 2
On 10/6/2020 at 12:30 AM, Mt_Rider said:

We have a load of Gatorade powder.  DH has a lot of bottles of juice down in basement....quantity unknown to me.  I barely get down there now. 

....hope you are completely over COVID, Mommato3.  Hear it's nasty if you're over 30...  :fever: 

MtRider  :bev: 

It is a weird virus that is for sure. I have yet to met two people that had the same symptoms. I ran 101 fever for 10 days and no energy. Hubs had a 100.1 fever for 2 days but had the body aches. He was over it on less than 5 days. One of our church friends only had the cough, no fever, she the cough for three weeks.  One coworker almost died, he is a diabetic and was on the vent for 2 weeks. he was off work 8 weeks. Another coworker had a UTI, turned septic and ended up in ICU, her husband had no fever but lost his sense of smell. A dear friend had LUPUS and lost her life to it, her husband had a fever lost of appetite and taste. So to be honest I don't think they are any closer to getting a handle on this virus because it attacks people differently. Nine us here that were that saw each other at least twice a week and live 10 miles apart had totally different symptoms. Weird I tell you weird.

• Sad 2
On 10/13/2020 at 10:20 PM, Mt_Rider said:

Alllllmost got to cut my hair last week...but ran outta energy!

MtRider  :0327: 

Ok So I am going to tell on myself. When I was sick I couldn't stand up long enough to wash my hair. It was longish, mid shoulders. It was a slimy mess even when I leaned over the kitchen sink and attempted to wash it. So in a moment of fever induced madness I cut all off. It was about an inch long all over, yep about 16 inches gone in one swift snip of the scissors. I am having to let it grow out so I can go and have it "styled" 

• Like 1

WE2, I did what you did several years ago. Cut my hair in layers.  And nope, I won't do that again either.  My hair is silver with some of the dark brown still mixed in at the under side of hair. It is now getting just a bit wavy.  So I am leaving it like it is. Just long so I can either put up in a bun or a ponytail. 

Mommato3boys,  I know what you mean about the symptoms for this virus.  I is not going to be easy to know if someone has just flu, cold, sinus infection or the corvid virus.  The symptoms seems to mimic all of them.  I think if a vaccine comes out that is safe it will be a yearly thing like the flu vaccine. Still don't think I am going to get it. Will see how that goes and I am still doing some research on something I read about it. 

One thing the media has not said is about the eyes. This virus can not just enter through the mouth and nose as to why they want you to wear a mask. But also the eyes. They say nothing about protecting your eyes with safety glasses. So as to why the mask don't work. It's not that they don't work, it's because people are not protecting their eyes also.  And they don't keep their hands away from their face either. Can't say how many times I have seen that or that some people have one on but not covering their nose.

I have been working on the house and took inventory of the food we have. So now I know where we stand as far as needing things from the store. I am getting ready to start having food delivery service so we won't have to leave house this winter other than for a doctor's appt. We will be wearing goggles along with our mask. 

I need some sort of storage system for my bedding too. When K-Mart went out of business earlier this year I got several sets of queen size sheets and a couple of blankets for 40% to 60% off. They should last me many years because I always wash the sheets and put them right back on the bed. That way I only wear out one set at a time. I'm not sure if I should wash them first of store them away in their original package. Maybe wash them and shrink them in a space bag and store that away? 

My hair is just below my shoulders and cut in long layers. It looks kinda cute when I use a big curling iron on it. I'm 68 and have very few gray hairs. The few I do have make a line about an 8th of an inch wide from the middle of my side part on down. It looks like I high lighted (streaked) it on purpose. 

I had some sort of virus in January. I don't know if it was the Covid or not. it was before there was much talk about the virus. I was sick for about two weeks and it took about three months before I regained my strength. My major symptoms were vomiting, nausea and chills. I couldn't shake those chills. I also got a bad UTI that took two rounds of Cipro to get rid of. 

Everyone who has a cold or flu this season will be suspected of having Covid. I can just see the doctors wanting to test everyone who comes in their office.

I'll admit it, that long Q-tip scares the stuffings out of me. I've been poked, prodded and probed but never up the nose. Kinda reminds me of how the Egyptians removed the brain when they embalmed. Or a lobotomy. There's some happy thoughts.