MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning with vinegar

It's fine just as long as the acid level is at least 5%. It will say on the bottle. Your product may come out a little bit darker. 

The same goes with apple cider vinegar with the mother in it. The end product will be darker and cloudier. It will be okay but may not look as appetizing. 

Just make sure your vinegar is 5% acidic or more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you ladies! It was for some cowboy candy I made (jalapeno jelly, kinda). It's yummy with cream cheese on crackers. But I made a ton! Prolific plants, I guess, praise God! I am thinking about pressure canning them, just to be sure they're safe.... I don't know about the percentage of acidity, so I'll be sure to look!!

• Like 1

It should be fine. Most regular store bought vinegar is 5%. I just don't know about speciality vinegars like balsamic, rice wine or red wine type of vinegars. 

I guess I'm a creature of habit. I just pick up a gallon of white vinegar when I need it and call it good. I have a smaller bottle of it and just keep refilling it for using at the table. I do like vinegar on my greens, brussel sprouts and cabbage. 

• Like 1