MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

A little scared....

Back when the pandemic started, hubby got me a brand new Singer. I'm just now pulling it out!! I'm no seamstress, by any means....but can sew in a straight line, so have made curtains, quilts and napkins.

We like to decorate our table for the seasons, so I bought material to make (more) cloth napkins. They will be simple, and then I'll try to do the fancy corner ones....wish me luck!! 

IMG_20201010_113502096.jpg

• Like 5

If you decide to start doing clothing, baby and kids clothing is easier to make than adult clothing IMO.    This is because they have fewer or no darts.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What a great gift. Very nice. I'm a straight line sewer too. I can do curves...one stitch at a time. I've made a lot of curtains in my life along with quilts and comforters. I can't make a buttonhole to save me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My finished napkins! The material I got for Christmas napkins I'm going to try to make a different style. I need to put away the rest of the produce from the garden first....I also made summer dresses for my younger girls (yes, I know it's fall, don't judge me!), simple ones. They felt so loved!! Now my son is asking for boy clothes, too. Help!

So fun and rewarding, though! :cele:

IMG-20201010-WA0062.jpeg

IMG-20201010-WA0066.jpeg

• Like 4
10 hours ago, euphrasyne said:

If you decide to start doing clothing, baby and kids clothing is easier to make than adult clothing IMO.    This is because they have fewer or no darts.  

And I have a bunch of kids....so I should!! I'll be asking for advice! :sSig_help2:

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Jeepers said:

What a great gift. Very nice. I'm a straight line sewer too. I can do curves...one stitch at a time. I've made a lot of curtains in my life along with quilts and comforters. I can't make a buttonhole to save me. 

My mom showed me the mark that's to make buttonhole....I had no idea. She laughed....I was glad to offer comic relief. :curtsey:

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Boy clothes...shorts. 

Oh, that can't be too hard, right?? I could see about making same or complimentary material. Yes, I'm that Mom. 😂🙈

• Like 2

When my son was in high school everyone had to take half a semester of cooking and half a semester of sewing. They all had to make a pair of shorts. Just pull ups with elastic at the waist. He picked out the material and along with some elastic, I sent it to school. I think it was skull and cross bones or something a teenage boy would pick out. He loved those shorts! When they got old and raggedy he used them like boxers to sleep in. 

The next semester.They had to learn about running a household and doing a budget and basic child care. Very nice for a little township school with about 400 kids from K-12 in one building. 

• Like 5

Joyfield, That is great that you have a sewing machine now.  Making clothes for boys is more of a challenge than for girls.  My daughter made PJ's and shorts for my grandson and also made long pants that just slipped on. Elastic waste bands are so much easier.  She made them for the girls also. 

I haven't made any clothes in a long while and had been thinking about getting back into it before DH got sick.  I have made lots of curtains and also lots of baby blankets.   I need to get to the fabric shop but have to drive to Hampton to get there and I can't leave DH that long. Guessing I will have to have a babysitter for him for that trip. It would be about a 45 minute to an hours drive to get there. I am wanting some flannel material. I have also made table cloths as well. So much we can do and need to get back into practice for when things go south. I still have a lot of baby material from when Wal mart stopped selling material several years ago. Got it for 50 cents to a dollar a yard. I was thinking of donating some of it but now thinking maybe i should hang on to it for when the grandbabies start coming along.  But not sure when that will be. 

• Like 5
22 hours ago, Jeepers said:

When my son was in high school everyone had to take half a semester of cooking and half a semester of sewing. They all had to make a pair of shorts. Just pull ups with elastic at the waist. He picked out the material and along with some elastic, I sent it to school. I think it was skull and cross bones or something a teenage boy would pick out. He loved those shorts! When they got old and raggedy he used them like boxers to sleep in. 

The next semester.They had to learn about running a household and doing a budget and basic child care. Very nice for a little township school with about 400 kids from K-12 in one building. 

My older brother used to make shorts in high school as well.  I think he called them "jams", but I don't know why.  I think he also ended up adding pockets to his, but I'm not sure.

• Like 5

The last dress I made was when my daughter was in 12th grade. She was in the senior parade and they decided to do the roaring 20's theme. I had to make her a dress like they wore in the 20's. it was silk and very hard to make. The dress had the layers going down the dress and it was something else and slick. I swore I would never make a dress using that kind of material again. But it turned out great. She really did look the part of a roaring 20's themed dress code. If that is what they called it in those days.  She still has that dress. 

• Like 5

Around the same time I got the machine, I bought 10 yards of fleece to make pajamas.... Every Christmas Eve we give the kids (5 of them) Christmas pajamas, so this year I thought I would make them: pj bottoms for hubby and sons, oldest daughter and myself, and dress pajamas for the little girls (6 and 7). I'm pretty nervous about it, but I think I'll be okay. My Mom used to sew, so I'll be asking her to give me advice....and I'll be checking in here with ya'll! I'm not sure the material is fleece....but super soft and warm.

I also got material for making quilts. My hope is that by the time the kids are grown, they will have several quilts that they can then pass on for their own children someday. So....busy fall for me, after we're done putting away the garden. Here's hoping! :)

• Like 4

I dug out my old tunic dress pattern with bloomers and hats.  I still have some I made for the other girls and I need to dig through my fabric stash for some to make for River.  

260061_129099630506316_6463423_n_129099630506316.jpg

316989_170267593056186_1632614324_n_170267593056186.jpg

• Like 5

euphrasyne, They are adorable. Love the clothes. You did a wonderful job making those.  Proud daddy.

I miss those days when my daughter was little and then the grandkids. Made things for all of them back in the day. 3 granddaughters and 2 grandsons. Though one grandson and one granddaughter are steps. But I still claim them as mine. The oldest is 34 years old and the youngest will be 19 years old next month. DH has a birthday coming up and he will be 83.  Time does fly when your having fun. 

The CG, picking thread out of almost anything for me is hard. And yes fleece has to be one of the worst.  My arthritic hands are very stiff today. I guess all the rain that I would have loved to send to those that needed it has set them off again. And that makes it hard to do the sewing I used to do and trying to fix a goof up and having to take out stitches is hard for me now.  I do double check everything these days.

Edited by Littlesister
  • Like 2

:wave:   Me!   Meeeeee!   I want your rain, LittleSister!  

....do ya s'pose we can get it to go from east to west?  :lol: 

MtRider  ....I know it hurts "Arthur" hands...DH has it from being a chiro!  :(

• Like 2

Mt. Rider, wish I could get the rain to go your way.  Right now we have had no rain for 2 or 3 days but they say we could be getting more coming our way but won't be much.  The cold weather will be here this weekend.  Sounds like I will be making chili this weekend. Always good on a cold night. So tomorrow I am going to get back to house cleaning and going through the summer clothes and pulling out the winter clothes. Though DH has been wearing his winter shirts all most all summer. He stays cold and wrapped in a blanket.  Turned out he has now got hypothyroid and is now on Synthroid. It must be moving his levels closer to normal as the past few days he has been getting warm instead of cold. though he still gets cold a lot. We will know for sure when the next labs are done. 

• Like 2
On 10/13/2020 at 8:02 AM, TheCG said:

FYI, picking stitches out of fleece is NOT fun because they sink way down in.  Double check everything before you start sewing.

Ohhhhhh.....thanks for the tip! I will measure a bunch and sew carefully. 

We are now getting the cold nights but warm days.  No rain. 

Want to try to figure out how I will make it to JoAnn's fabrics with DH staying home.  Working on him staying longer hours by him self. I haven't been able to get to Sam's club or B.J"S  warehouse club yet. I really need to go.  The dentist will be the first time and I am sure I will be there a couple of hours. 

As the title states. A little scared.  So yes I am very scared to leave DH more than one or two hours. And 2 hours isn't often. 

• Sad 2