MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

You know things are messed up when BAKING YEAST has become a theft target

Quote......

But what’s distinctive about this trend, experts say, is what’s being taken — more staples like bread, pasta and baby formula.

Yeah...that really means this is not beer and chips pilfering.  :(   Must be so very frightening and frustrating.  For those stealing and the store owners! 

We all know that THIS is one of many situations .....the WHY for which we all store what we store.  But some younger ones just starting out.... 

We have little income now, compared to the cost of living here.  But...we've been fine.  We do not choose an expensive lifestyle or purchases.  Some of it IS choices.  Some of it IS knowing how to make from scratch.....which a LOT of folks are learning.  [thus the theft of yeast!]  Good....learn all of it quick, folks.  Not promising to get better anytime soon.  :pray: 

MtRider  ....thanking God for how we are positioned and asking for His mercy...for us all! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 minute ago, HazelStone said:

Er...what? How would that work, there's no gluten....

It's in one of my cookbooks that I've generally had good results with.  Other people have made it and given rave reviews.  They do use 1/2 tsp sugar to activate the yeast and it only rises for 25 to 30 minutes.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Quote......

But what’s distinctive about this trend, experts say, is what’s being taken — more staples like bread, pasta and baby formula.

Yeah...that really means this is not beer and chips pilfering.  :(   Must be so very frightening and frustrating.  For those stealing and the store owners! 

We all know that THIS is one of many situations .....the WHY for which we all store what we store.  But some younger ones just starting out.... 

We have little income now, compared to the cost of living here.  But...we've been fine.  We do not choose an expensive lifestyle or purchases.  Some of it IS choices.  Some of it IS knowing how to make from scratch.....which a LOT of folks are learning.  [thus the theft of yeast!]  Good....learn all of it quick, folks.  Not promising to get better anytime soon.  :pray: 

MtRider  ....thanking God for how we are positioned and asking for His mercy...for us all! 

It did depress me a bit when they started locking up baby formula, but that started years ago. A lot of that was crime rings/drug addicts stealing en masse, though. Others steal due to mental health issues; that can be a complicated subject. That tends to be clothes and makeup, though.

And yeah, while I was "raised right," a lot of others weren't. On reddit, these discussion threads get a lot of whining "But you need moneeeeyyyyyy to set up backup food stores!!!" Lotta basement-dwellers on that platform, and I just think, "B*tch, please, drop your beer budget for a couple months and that can get you through a fair bit." I don't say that, though, because I don't want to be downvoted to hell. :P Some of it IS planning/choices, and it may be young adults paying NOW for bad choices during college, but it was still their choices.

That said, the cost of living in the Baltimore/Washington area is absolutely insane. There were a lot of people here hanging on by the fingernails before this mess...some of which shouldn't have been; others had little choice. One hiccup, you get evicted, and where are your food stores then?

• Like 2
  • Sad 4
3 minutes ago, HazelStone said:

It did depress me a bit when they started locking up baby formula, but that started years ago. A lot of that was crime rings/drug addicts stealing en masse, though. Others steal due to mental health issues; that can be a complicated subject. That tends to be clothes and makeup, though.

It was on the list of items you flat out could not return without a receipt when I worked at Target.  Sometimes we'd be able to swing an exchange if it was unopened and just the wrong type, but in general, we couldn't return it because it was an item stolen or bought on food stamps, then returned for cash or store credit way too often.

• Like 1

A woman on a YouTube channel said she and her husband were at Wal-Mart this week and there was no more baby formula at all. 

My cousin-in-law (widower) lives in the Baltimore/DC area. They just sold their home and are planning to move to Florida. He has family there and...no snow. He said the Balt/DC area gets worse every day. 

I'm making a running list of things to pick up at an Amish bulk food store. Yeast will go on it. 

Happy Hanukkah Hazelstone! Shalom. 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Jeepers said:

A woman on a YouTube channel said she and her husband were at Wal-Mart this week and there was no more baby formula at all. 

My cousin-in-law (widower) lives in the Baltimore/DC area. They just sold their home and are planning to move to Florida. He has family there and...no snow. He said the Balt/DC area gets worse every day. 

I'm making a running list of things to pick up at an Amish bulk food store. Yeast will go on it. 

Happy Hanukkah Hazelstone! Shalom. 

Thanks...for the record, I'm Catholic and it's my husband who's Jewish. He just doesn't plan. I have to re-memorize the Ma'oz Tsur every year. :0327:

• Like 4

I am Baptist and it's all good.  But on another note.  Stealing food because you have no money for food is really bad. Though if people would check there are several churches that have food pantries and would give you food. I worked at the one at our church for years before DH took sick. We both had to give it up last year.  We work through the food bank. Go there twice a month to get meats, fresh veggies if they have it and canned goods. We also get lots of donations of food and money for food from our church members.  So we are able to feed up to maybe 50 people and if possible they now want to raise that number if they can get the food for that many. Lots of churches in our area are doing this.  There is one church that gives out cleaning supplies and things like toothpaste, and other personal items. I think this is going to be how we help the ones that just can't afford it otherwise. Stealing is wrong no matter what. But I am also thinking either a lot of churches in different states either don't have this or they just don't know about it. I gave money for it before Thanksgiving and am about to take both canned goods and money for turkeys and chicken next week. 

Our church also has soup kitchen and does meals on wheels. There needs to be a way to get this info out to people. Maybe post a sign in the stores would be a start with a list of churches that are giving out food.

10 hours ago, Littlesister said:

Maybe post a sign in the stores would be a start with a list of churches that are giving out food.

Check with the churches first.  Our church exhausted its resources available back in September or so.  I know others in the area are in a similar situation.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Having your sourdough started dumped is bad. Now she will have to start all over again.  Which I need to get me one going again soon. Been a long while since I did it. I miss it.  Just haven't had the time to get one going. 

Going to get some food from my pantry tomorrow to take to church. It will be more of the high sodium foods that we can't eat now. No need of keeping it when others could use it. So boxing some stuff up to head out of here. Then I would have more room for the foods we can eat. I have some things just sitting on floor now waiting to be put away. So moving out the foods we can't eat will give me room for the foods we can eat. 

• Like 3

uh oh...time to start making my 'everlasting yeast' for baking.  We are already baking our own bread instead of buying it.  Much tastier.  Much cheaper, too.  The oddball shortages are starting up again.  I feel so bad for those who are struggling financially.  Althou0gh we have to count our pennies, we are accustomed to it and we have become proficient over the years, in discerning "wants" from "needs" which saves us a bundle avoiding impulse (and usually regrettable) purchases.  

• Like 4