MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

10 day martial law

3 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I have a few cans of bacon flavored Spam too. I figured it would be okay with eggs. Bacon and eggs? 

Next to eggs or IN eggs (omelet).

I used to like to having it when I was having Cream of Wheat or oatmeal.

It is great next to a stack of pancakes, or fried crisp and diced up to use on top of a salad.

And, of course it makes a great BLT!

1882080894_brunch7-24-18(2)-Copy.thumb.jpg.89192c02f61511c403191db85bf31f69.jpg608246505_brunch7-24-18(3).thumb.jpg.a88bf354764f2de335435e8ba265bbb8.jpg

• Like 5

Spam or anything like it:

Dice it up into medium sized cubes.  Use wherever you would add diced country ham.  People tend to eat things that look like what they are used to best.

Pot pie

Soup

Stir fried rice

Meat & Cheese Turnovers

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If anything is too salty, chop it finer and chop up potatoes to cook with it, making the potatoes a little bigger than the Spam pieces.  Canned potatoes and precooked frozen potatoes work very well.

• Like 5

Added to what Ambergris just noted......   Theory:  would it work for those who are keto or non-carb to cook the spam with potatoes.....  Cuz I've also heard they absorb the salt if the stew is too salty.  Then simply not eat the carb/potatoes?  Or give those to someone else who can eat them? 

I'm thinking in terms of drastic ways to be able to eat ANYTHING that's available in a post-Hooey Hits Fan situation. 

MtRider  :shrug: 

• Like 3

You can put the spam in water and bring it slowly up to a slow boil for about an minute. That will pull the salt out of it. Then just dump the water and fry it up as usual or for how ever you are going to fix it. We like to fry it up with eggs. Though no matter how we draw the salt out, I still don't trust giving any to DH now with the CHF. Don't want to take any chances. My plan is to keep him around for a long time. So being very careful. I do have other things I fix for him that is very low sodium to no sodium though. Just don't trust the spam. Though I do have several cans of it.

• Like 5

As Little Sister said, you can simmer out a lot of salt.  Remember, they used to pack in a lot more salt than was edible in order to store it, then they'd soak out the salt then fix the meat to an edible state.

• Like 4

:lol:   Yeah, my folks were given a real Virginia ham.  Is that the correct term?  Well, we didn't know you're apparently supposed to wash off/soak a lot of the curing salts off before eating.  :unsure:  That might have been good to know.  I took it home and used it with scalloped potatoes, or mac and cheese or other dishes ......omitted any additional salt.  

MtRider  :rolleyes: 

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Added to what Ambergris just noted......   Theory:  would it work for those who are keto or non-carb to cook the spam with potatoes.....  Cuz I've also heard they absorb the salt if the stew is too salty.  Then simply not eat the carb/potatoes?  Or give those to someone else who can eat them? 

I'm thinking in terms of drastic ways to be able to eat ANYTHING that's available in a post-Hooey Hits Fan situation. 

MtRider  :shrug: 

It would still end up with some of the starch in the ham.  I wouldn't do it because nightshades are on my no-no list, but there are some who would decide that it's not that much, when there's no real way to measure how many carbs you're getting at that point.

• Like 3

VA country hams are great.  What I do is soak overnight in white vinegar water.  Depending on size of ham, about 1 to 2 cups of vinegar. It pulls out the salt and makes the ham more tender.  Also of course you need to scape off any mold and stuff that might be on the ham. I have done all mine like that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • 3 weeks later...

For some reason I can't access the site on my computer, so I have to do it on my phone. I tend to be  long winded, so end up not replying until I have a chance to sit and do so with my thumbs.

A lot has happened since the end of December. I believe the country has changed forever and will never be the same, or what it was intended to be. I believe that civil unrest will be the new normal, and possibly even civil war. 

May God help us.

• Sad 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I use vinegar for most of the cleaning in our home.   WM has always been horrible at keeping name brand vinegar (Heinz) in stock here, in the big jugs,  for at least the past 7 or 8 years.    During garden canning season (think pickles, pickled veggies, ect), it is nearly impossible to find.  

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary
  • Like 1
On 12/24/2020 at 5:11 AM, TheCG said:

It would still end up with some of the starch in the ham.  I wouldn't do it because nightshades are on my no-no list, but there are some who would decide that it's not that much, when there's no real way to measure how many carbs you're getting at that point.

The thing to do is experiment NOW. Fix it that way then do a series of glucose tests to see how it is affecting you. Then you'll know if it is something you can safely do when/if it becomes necessary/unavoidable.

• Like 1