MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Who got a new book/s for Christmas?

Dee

No one seems to be reading "The Testing", so, what are you reading?  Did you get something new for Christmas?  Something for pleasure or prepping?   I'm reading, "The 20th Victim" by James Patterson and listening to "The Huntress", by Kate Quinn, on my phone.  

Have you found new authors?  Who are they?  Who are your favorites authors?  Favorite books? 

Have you read, "One Second After" by William B. Forstchen?  If not, I'd recommend it.  It's GOOD!!!

Oh, I hope there are some readers here.  We used to have such good discussions.  :wave:

• Like 2

I haven't read "The Testing" but it does sound like something I'd like to.  DH and I recently listened to the audio book of "One Second After" on You Tube and though I'd read the book years ago I got new thoughts from it that I hadn't had before.  It IS good and well thought out. Has anyone else read it? 

I would be interested in some good book discussions.  After all, how will we know if we want to read a book unless someone can recommend it?  :wave:

• Like 1

I do have the book one second after and have read that one a couple of times. Not heard of the book The Testing.  Will have to check that one out.

Didn't get any new books this Christmas but still have a lot of books on my kindle to read as soon as I can get the time to sit down and read some again. After the first and all the Christmas stuff which this year isn't much gets put away and back in shed, I want to get the office back together and then sit down to some good books. Haven't had the chance this whole year to be able to sit down and just read. Going to be working on that situation for the rest of the winter before I hopefully can get a garden going again next spring. Missed my garden this year, but things happen and you need to be prepared for those things just incase you can't get a garden going. More than just illness can stop a garden. To much rain or not enough rain. You never know from year to year but we were covered for this year with no crops.

• Like 1

:hi:    I always receive books for Christmas.     I haven't been able to focus to read much this year.  It's been less than 20 books.  Most of those are family read alouds.   In 2018 and 2019,  I read over 100 books each year.  

I've read "One Second After" and the other 2 books in the series.   I foget which one of the "One Second After" series I was reading, but I started, among other mental lists, making a mental list of books mentioned....I don't remember them all now, but after that, I made sure to invest in the Foxfire Series (which I haven't read yet) and Eric Sloane books.    I'm sure there's more, I just can't rememeber right now.  And "Mother Earth News" magazine I think was mentioned.   I was buying those, but found that they seemed to be recycling articles (even DD who was a few years old noticed the same pictures being used), so I stopped. 

Years ago, when I wasn't here at MrsS very long, someone (maybe MtRider?) in a post mentioned something about Corrie ten Boom thanking God for the fleas.   I felt so ignorant because I had no idea who Corrie ten Boom was!!    :ashamed0002:      I bought "The Hiding Place" and coudn't put it down.    I wasn't taught that in school at all!   I highly recommend "The Hiding Place".   I've been trying to pick up good books/build our home library little by little.   I bought a few that I won't be reading very soon, but wanted to make sure I get before they are either "unavailable" or edited/altered.   One is about Richard Wurmbrand and another called "Things We Couldn't Say" by a woman who was part of the Dutch Underground during WWII.    An excellent book I read (maybe last year) was "Evidence Not Seen: A Woman's Miraculous Faith in the Jungles of WWII" by Darlene Diebler Rose.  I highly recommend that as well.  

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary
  • Like 2
Posted (edited)

I love WW2 holocaust books.  I really don't know why when they're so sad and brutal but I've read many.  I can't imagine so much hate and anger against a group of people.  How did Hitler get people to follow him with such vigor? 

I also read The Hiding Place years ago but couldn't remember particulars.  I went and Amazon and read the synopsis and still don't remember it.  I do remember liking to read Corrie ten Boom though.  I guess I've read too many of that type to remember any in particular.

Have you ever read Countryside and Small Stock Journal magazine?  I loved it for years but finally got tired of it.  I hated that it wasn't a monthly magazine but, every other month when it arrived in the mailbox, was like Christmas.  

I'm on my way to check out the books you mentioned.  I love referrals. 

Keep reading! :reading:

Edited by Dee
  • Like 2

I was given a coffee table book with drawings of fairies that I admired (but could not afford) in my early twenties and late teens.  I often tried to copy the artwork in those days  Coincidentally, someone unrelated gave me a sketching tablet and a set of pencils with accessories.  I plan to make a new drawing every day in the coming year, something to develop the spirit.  I haven't done much of that in recent years.

They found out that the reason they were not hounded as badly and beaten as much was that the guards refused to go into their building because of the fleas.

Edited by Ambergris
  • Like 3

I'm not envious of many things, but those of you that can draw have made my list.  My one brother could draw beautifully.  My other brother and myself can't straw stick people. :tapfoot:

I didn't remember about the fleas until you wrote what you did Ambergris and it all came back.  Thanks!

9:55 here and I'm off to bed.  I'm not going to make it till midnight, so I'll wish you all a Happy New Year right now!

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all our Mrs. S. friends.  :grouphug:

• Like 3

About the only books I've been reading lately are how-to and recipe books. 

I've read the One Second After series too. One of my favorite dystopian books is The Journal: Cracked Earth by Deborah Moore. It's a six book series but I've only read book one. Along those lines 1929 by M. I. Gardner. I like to read about hard times and the olden days and how they coped. My favorite is My, Antonia by Willa Cather. 

I also like to read about foreign countries. The Girl With Seventeen Names, The Beautiful Forevers, Butter In The Well, Waxing Moon, Sari Caste, Between Two Rivers, Story Of A Comfort Girl, Snow Flower And The Secret Fan, True Story Of Secret India, Sitka Song and so on. All were free at one time.

I have a ton of Pioneer novels. At last count I had 81 books in my 'cultures' file and 73 books in my 'Era' file that I made on Kindle.  All of those were free at one time too. 

I have 60 books in my 'Classics' file. Most of those are complete works of selected works by old time type writers. Most free. 

• Like 1

Wow, you do have a lot of books Jeepers.  I have very few.  Working at the library we have access to so many and also Interlibrary Loan that the books I do have are things like The Encyclopedia of Country Living, etc.

My favorite genre is historical novels.  I loved Gwen Bristow's Calico Palace and all her others.  Actually, we even named our daughter Kendra, one of the main character in Calico Palace.  Not because of the book, necessarily, but because it was a name my husband and I could agree on. :D  I'd never heard the name before then.  She was 41 3 weeks ago.

Have any of you read the "Red River of the North" series by Lauraine Snelling?  It goes on forever but, say the first 5, are so very good.   "An Untamed Land", the first, was written sometime in the early 2000's.  The Bjorklund family (unusual name and yet it was my friends last name) came from Norway to homestead in North Dakota.  If you're into historical, give it a try.  I'd almost guarantee you'll be hooked. I can't say how many I've recommended them to that have come into the library. 

Keep reading!  :reading:

• Like 3

What a lovely discussion you have going here Dee.  I love books.  Have hundreds and over the years have had thousands on my shelves.  Jeepers, I also have read and have studied pioneer novels and pioneer living.  I taught it at our local museum for many years.  I recently found an online book venue that I love.  It's at   http://www.novelfreereadonline.com   It even has newer novels unlike the other read on line books libraries that only have books old enough to be free from their copyrights.  Though I admit to reading hundreds of books at those sites as well.  I love the older books.  

Ambergris.  I have tried my hand at sketching and love it though my work is 'sketchy' at best :grinning-smiley-044:  I also do some watercolor painting and enjoy both.  My favorite hobby is writing though.  I wonder some times when I have time to do anything else !!!!!   

• Like 2

Dee, good morning,  I have read the Red River of the North series and loved them.   I also loved Jean Auel's books.  The Mother Earth News, Countryside, Back Home and BackWoods Home were staples in our house for years. It was always a fight to see who would get to read them first.  When TMEN changed hands it become more technical and we stopped getting it but I still have all my early copies of the magazine along with most of the others.  They are stored in totes and I periodically get them out and am lost in them for weeks, dreaming of a time when I COULD do those things.  Growing up our grandson poured over them with me.  Someday they will probably go to him.  My daughter is an avid book collector and reader as well.  I believe it might be built into our DNA. LOL

• Like 2

Dee wrote

On 12/25/2020 at 7:35 PM, Dee said:

Have you read, "One Second After" by William B. Forstchen?  If not, I'd recommend it.  It's GOOD!!!

It's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!!  :gaah:  I found the audio book on YouTube this morning before everyone else woke up, and can't stop listening!!!  :24:   All the electronics died, Bob was still on the phone with the Pentagon, and now it's time to fix breakfast for Ed and Mama.   :0327:

• Haha 2

Oh my gosh, I loved Jean Auel's, "The Earth's Children Series".  When I first read them, maybe 40 years ago now, I loved the romance between Ayla and Jondalar but later I liked how she gathered herbs, cooked in grass baskets, etc. etc.  

Don't be afraid of them because they were written so long ago.  It's set in prehistoric times so they aren't dated.

Posted (edited)

Oh Homey, I accept the blame, if it got you going on it.  It's so down to earth, compared to so many others, and you can actually picture it happening in real life. 

Enjoy them old friend.....of course that's as in friends.....not in age! :grinning-smiley-044: 

Edited by Dee
Needed to add: that's the good thing about books. They wait on you!
  • Like 2

Mother, you write???  What a surprise! I do too!!!

That's just a silly statement to Mother.  She and I have shared our writings with each other for a number of years.  We're both going to have a best seller before you know it....NOT!  Just wishful thinking BUT fun to think about all the same.

Keep reading!  :reading:

• Like 1

Homey, I'm so glad you found the audio version of One Second After on You Tube. I read the books but DH and I found we really liked listening to it again.  It reminds us what we might want to be prepared for. Besides, there's something decadent about letting someone else read to you.  What about giving us a book review when you've finished it?  

Dee,  I wasn't going to mention your writing so I'm glad you came out of the writing closet and I'm SURE we're going to have a best seller at some point.  Of course, I believe that would mean one of us (me) would have to actually submit something. :grinning-smiley-044:  I'm sure there are other writer members out there and I believe it might be time for us to get the Fireside going again.  Maybe some sequels to what is already written there?  

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Dee said:

I love WW2 holocaust books.  I really don't know why when they're so sad and brutal but I've read many.  I can't imagine so much hate and anger against a group of people.  How did Hitler get people to follow him with such vigor? 

I also read The Hiding Place years ago but couldn't remember particulars.  I went and Amazon and read the synopsis and still don't remember it.  I do remember liking to read Corrie ten Boom though.  I guess I've read too many of that type to remember any in particular.

Have you ever read Countryside and Small Stock Journal magazine?  I loved it for years but finally got tired of it.  I hated that it wasn't a monthly magazine but, every other month when it arrived in the mailbox, was like Christmas.  

I'm on my way to check out the books you mentioned.  I love referrals. 

I haven't read those magazines.   Will have to have DH check into those sometime when he's out shopping.

For Eric Sloane, Diary of an Early American Boy 1805 was excellent.    We've referred to A Museum of Early American Tools  when we did family readalouds of  the Little House series and Little Britches series  to see pictures of the farm equipment/tools used in the books.    I know it is so easy to search stuff online, but, when we can, I'd rather have books in our home library to refer to. 

I haven't read a lot of Holocaust and WWII books, but those are the ones that I thought of first.

For pioneers, has anyone read Bess Streeter Aldrich?  I think her books are mostly set in Nebraska.   I thought A Lantern in Her Hand was very good, but liked  it's sequel, A White Bird Flying, even more. 

• Like 1

Dee, we have a wonderful library system here. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuyahoga_County_Public_Library

The problem is since Covid it's been closed. It opened for about two weeks then closed down again. I really miss it. We also have borrowing rights to Cleveland Public Library too. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CLEVNET

I really need to learn how to use Overdrive. 

Mother, I like Jean Auel too. I listened to the entire The Earth's Children series. A daunting task but I loved it. I listened on cassette tapes. Before books on CD's came out. 

Another good book to listen to is Two Old Women. It's about a group of Native Americans whose tribe is going hungry. They have to migrate but don't want to be burdened with the two old women. So they leave them behind. They story tells about what they did to survive the winter. I downloaded it into my computer and listen to it at least once a year. 

I really loved listening to Angela's Ashes read by the author. His Irish accent was heavenly. It is R rated though. I'll listen to anything written by Any Tan too. She does a Chinese accent that is nice to listen to. Especially The Kitchen God's Wife and Joy Luck Club. 

Another book I liked is called Dancing With The Ferryman. It's kind of a lite fluff read but it's set in the Shetlands and the descriptions sound so nice and rugged. So nice that I did a lot of Google driving around the islands. 

• Like 1

Our library has been closed off and on but, being on the library board, I have a key.  It's really convenient. :D

My gosh, I'm writing down all these book recommendations as I read each.  Big sigh, I won't live long enough to read them all.   :eek3:  I'll have to pick and choose.  

Years ago I read a book called "Black Bees and Goats", or some such thing.  It was about a teacher (?) here in the U.S. that retired to a small cottage in Scotland, Ireland, some place over there.  I would like to find more like it but when I search for autobiographies, biographies, memoirs, etc., all I get are celebrities or some such.  ACK, I want people like us that are doing interesting things.  Any suggestions from anyone?

34 minutes ago, out_of_the_ordinary said:

Some of the ones that are open, you can't go inside the building, but you can order and pickup books curbside.  

That's what our librarian does.  She has the door locked the couple of days a week she works.  If anyone wants a book/s they call, she gets what they want and takes it to their car.  

Our town, I live 3 miles north of town, is only 250 people with a wonderful library.  Check it out if you'd like.  Renwick Public Library | Facebook  I take care of the Facebook page so any of the pictures you look at won't have me in them......that's the way I like it. :) 

• Like 1

OOTO, our library was doing that before they closed down for the second time. Then they stopped again. They might have started doing it again. I need to check them out. My branch has a drive up window like a bank drive through so no one has to go outside. They will mail items to you or deliver them to your house, for free, if you are a senior or disabled. At least they used to. I like to roam around inside and find things I wouldn't normally look for. I could go in, look around, use the self check out and be out of there without being in contact with anyone. Good old days. It's a shame that they can't be open. Usually when I'd go in, the computers would all be in use. Mostly middle age or older people who probably didn't have a home computer. If they had a home. :(

Dee, Angela's Ashes is a true story about the author, Frank McCourt (1930-2009), growing up in abject poverty in Ireland. It's gritty but good. Their mother, Angela, was a real piece of work. It's one of those books best listened to because of his accent IMO. The movie was not so good.  His brother did a sequel about the family called Tis but Frank's book was really stellar. 

• Like 2

If you like detailed historical fiction similar to Auel, Alice Brochardt is amazing.  Her silver wolf series is great -- Shapeshifters in ancient Rome so you get a bit of fantasy and a bit of history.  She also has an Arthurian series about Guinevere that ties into the characters from the Silver Wolf series.  

• Like 1

I've never heard of Alice Brochardt but she's now on my list!  Thanks euphrasyne. 

I'm just so excited to find these new authors.

Keep reading AND listening!  :reading:

OH gosh, so many books, so little time.  I want to remark on all your posts but I'm not sure where to start.  

OOTO, I have some of Eric Sloan books too.  Love them.  And the Little Britches series and Little House has been a staple at our house for decades.  Our kids and some of the grands grew up on them.  We helped homeschool our 18 year old grandson and I was fortunate enough to get to teach him history.  We had a blast using some of those books to teach it.  Much more fun than just dull school books. And Bess Streeter Aldrich is a favorite as well.  I've read both of those books.  May, in fact still have one of them.  

Jeepers, I haven't read the Two Old Women book but now I really want to. And now Angela's Ashes too.  I love that you gave us a sort of book review so we can figure out if we would like it or not.  Do more of that please.

Euphrasyne,  Alice Brochardt sounds like a writer I'd like.  I've not read her before.  I will be looking her up for sure.  

Homey, did you get through One Second After?  What did you think of it?  

Ambergris, I'd love to see a few of your fairy drawings.  I like fairies and also angels.  I always want to draw but I believe you have to practice to get good at it and I only do it in streaks. I tend to do more scenery than anything else.  I'd rather write and my mind is always running to characters and scenes when I'm not keeping it occupied otherwise. If I remember right, you are a writer yourself.  You should resurrect your writing again.  I believe you have a lot to add to the world with it. 

I'm sure I've missed saying something about a book that's mentioned here but I'm loving this whole thread. 

Okay on another note.....I used to be Mod at the Fireside and I'm hoping some of you will go down there and bring up some of your favorite stories there.  If you haven't read them then I'd like to suggest you start as there's some REALLY good reads there.  If any of you have read my Illinois story there and are interested I believe somewhere I have a very dusty sequel to it that I'd be willing to post.  It would take some dusting off and some polish though.  LOL. 

(((For those of you newbies or guest that might be reading here, the Fireside is a private forum that only members can access. That keeps our writing more within the family.))))

More book reviews please.  Maybe if you have a special book you want to review you could put it in a separate thread under it's name and perhaps designated as a review so we can find it easier than sorting through our discussion. 

I'm loving this thread. :bighug2:

• Like 1