MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Herbals for skin care

I have very sensitive skin. Untreated with plantain, a mosquito bite will last for several weeks. This is unpleasant. To get a rash from poison ivy, I just need to turn my back and it spits the offending oils at me. This time I actually grabbed a leafless vine and got a small patch on the back of my right hand. Now it has spread secondary infections have popped up covering my belly, neck, and splotches on the opposite arm. after 13 days, I think the weeping blister phase is over so now I can work on healing the resulting rough shoe-leather feeling rashes. Yay for plantain/ mullein/ dock salve!

My ongoing most recent tangle with winter-bare poison ivy has prompted me to look for ways to make my skin healthier. My immediate plan is to infuse some coconut oil with comfrey. Coconut oil Comfrey is a cell proliferant, so that's gotta help.

What would ya'll put in your salve? Why would you include it?

Are there herbs that work in food to help with this?

• Like 1

Welcome to MrsS, elfriedalegros!  :welcome4:

Sorry I don't have any experience with salves to help you.

If you get poison ivy easily, also be cautious of the roots.  My husband ended up with a bad case of poison ivy or poison oak on his hands during a snowy winter after digging into the ground and coming in contact with roots.  He didn't realize at the time what type of plant those roots belonged to!

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary

Elfrie, :wave: Welcome to the boards. You appear to be on the right track with the comfrey but tomorrow I'll be back on to see if I have any more suggestions to offer.   :bighug2: 

Good morning Elfrie, 

Comfrey is a wonderful skin healer.  Just remember not to use it on deeply infected wounds as it can heal the top layer fast and leave the infection to fester deeper in.  I like to add chickweed and calendula along with the comfrey as they soothes and helps heal in other ways.  You also might consider Mallow or Slippery Elm bark.  

Did you know that raw honey is a wonderful healing agent?  It can be used as a salve on sores and wounds or you can add it to your salves. Using bees wax to solidify the salve is beneficial too.   Honey also makes a great facial.  I like to gently pat it onto my skin and continue very gently tapping it with my fingertips until it feels almost too sticky to tolerate and then rinse it gently off with cool water.  It leaves the skin smooth and much less inflamed. 

Milk or cream, especially goat's milk, works similar to honey.  It is especially good for healing burns.

Any of the anti inflammatory herbs would be good for healing as well.  Either used in the salve or in tea, tincture, or essential oil form. 

Healing from the inside out is almost essential if your skin is very sensitive.  I've had good success with an AIP (Anti Inflammatory Protocol) diet.   It not only removes those foods that can increase inflammation but it also acts as a rotation diet to find things your body might react to. Sometimes removing those foods allows your skin to be more tolerant to irritants and allergens. It's not something I advocate full time though as you need a variety of nutrients to be healthy and this diet can be lacking in some.  

Adding bone broth to your diet helps heal the skin.  If made correctly it contains collagen and minerals that are needed to keep the skin healthy.    

I hope some of these things will help you.  Good luck with your healing journey.

:bighug2:  

• Like 1

elfriedalegros-

You could probably do a search using a few key words like "herbal remedies," "natural healing," "rash treatments," etc and find what you want on this site. I would also recommend that that you check out the website for The Patriot Nurse (https://www.thepatriotnurse.com/).  She has many books and other resources there for what you want. 

This book in particular may be just what you need. If you use this link Patriot Nurse should get the income from the affiliate purchase.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1885653220/ref=as_sl_pc_tf_til?tag=thepatriotnur-20&linkCode=w00&linkId=e0c13c0d6708b235f1fe4cdf1a0be8ae&creativeASIN=1885653220

Practical Herbalism: Ordinary Plants with Extraordinary Powers Paperback – February 1, 2005

51QCD27C16L._SX360_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Practical Herbalism is destined to become a favorite reference for experienced herbalists and natural health newcomers alike. Drawing on nearly two decades of personal experience, observation, and research, Dr. Fritchey provides a refreshing and enlightening historical perspective, and a bounty of reassuring, down-to-earth methods for using commonly found or easily grown medicinal herbs.

Practical Herbalism will take you on a journey from its "ancient roots" to modern science beginning with the evolution of Herbal Medicine in the West. Learn how the healing salvation of God-given herbs was dragged from common knowledge to "quackery," and how the revival of interest in natural health might have saved thousands of years of herbal wisdom from eradication. Learn simplified processes for gathering, preserving, and making good medicine from everyday plantstechniques once familiar to every self-sufficient household. Learn why and what an herb does is more important than what it is. Then follow along as Dr. Fritchey takes you on an in-depth exploration of 46 very common "Ordinary Plants with Extraordinary Powers." Learn when and how you can use the herbs that can be readily found in your own neighborhood or easily grown in your own garden just as herbalists and wise-women have done for centuries. Compare notes with the ancients, and find validation in current scientific studies. Most of all, find comfort and reassurance in the healing gifts of a Loving Creator which have been placed all around us in anticipation of our every need.

Practical Herbalism is authoritative in its research, and extensive in its scope. At the same time, Dr. Fritchey simplifies and demystifies herbal medicine, and puts it back within the grasp of all who want to reclaim some control over their health options. Products can be taken away, but knowledge is irrevocable. Here is the knowledge you need to help yourself, your family, and your clientswhatever the future may bring.

• Like 1