MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Gardening Inside

Dee

Does anyone else grow vegetables in the house during the winter?  I brought in a grape tomato plant last summer and actually have a few tomatoes on it.  I also started some from seeds just for the heck of it.  They're growing nicely but not a blossom of any kind to be seen yet.

Then I started a few peas from seed and they've actually got pea pods on them.

The lettuce is about gone.  We've been eating on it for a couple of weeks.  I'll start some more soon.

The last picture is of the lights I use. 

As some of you know we live in Northern Iowa.  The winters are COLD, overcast and gloomy. 

It's not hard to do and gives us a few fresh vegetables, that I've grown myself with no chemicals, and not bought from a store.

I've added some pictures.  Hope you will to!

20210110_095301_resized.jpg

20210110_095231_resized.jpg

20210110_133421_resized.jpg

20210110_135942_resized.jpg

Edited by Dee
I have no idea why some of these are so large. I resized them all together.
  • Like 6

The proverbial green thumb!!!!  Unfortunately I can't figure out YET how to get my picts from my iPad to my desktop to post them.  I will though.  Soon!. Good Job Dee. :lois:

• Like 2

Very nice Dee! Our winter has been unusually mild here. I still have a producing pepper plant outside. They’re small but good. Also have some tomatoes with blossoms although I don’t think they’ll produce anything. I’m leaving them alone because once the weather warms up enough they’ll give up some earlier than usual tomatoes. 
Also have broccoli and peas...but that not unusual to grow during the winter here.

I would post pictures but it’s not letting me. Something about not being able to get photos from the cloud? :scratchhead:

• Like 1

Goodness Dee, that’s fantastic!  You inspire me!  Yours & Mother’s, indoor winter gardens have made me rethink ‘seasons’.

However, yeah, I live in the desert.  Normal summer temps, well above 105°F, daily, from the end of May until late Sept. early Oct.  So, I have begun to bring my plants in during our summer.

Last April/ May, DH’s friend gave us tomato 3 seedlings, in small pots.  I brought them in at night, and outside during the day, vice versa, as summer temps soared.  Transplanted them into bigger pots in June/July, and kept bringing them inside, during the hot part of the day.  In Sept. I planted them in the garden.  Here they are, producing....   however, they have to be covered at night as temps drop below freezing, that’s the poles....

179A27B2-E375-4A73-878A-58EE321F8226.jpeg

God willing, we will get enough to can in the next month.  

My spices I planted in the garden have faded. I am still pampering the Mexican & Greek oregano, but the thyme fried in our heat.  :sigh:  I took a sprig of Basil & peppermint & potted them, hanging in the kitchen.  I’m excited to say they are doing great, sort of.  Winter cooler temps, has caused the basil to drop leaves, which are collected & dried for the spice rack.  

I’ve spent my life trying to grow avocado trees.  They would sprout, grow leaves and fry.  Last year, I put the pot in the kitchen.  Right now there are 4 trees, in one pot, doing exceptionally well. No pictures yet, I’m dealing with fungus gnats..... :runcirclsmiley2:

• Like 4

Dee that is really a great indoor garden you have going. Haven't done any inside plants, but have been thinking about it. Going to need to get a grow light or two. We didn't do a garden at all last summer. We had seeds coming up and had things together to start planting when DH took sick.. So all the seedlings died. So just let it go. I have 2 small greenhouses I need to get put together before spring and a hot box also. I really do need to get a garden going this spring. Only thing I have growing right now is rosemary. That grows into a small bush and goes all year. We use a lot of that. 

Annarchy, nice garden also. looking good for having 105* weather. That's hot. 

Mother, looking forward to seeing your pics also. 

I will have to look to see if I have pics on computer of our garden we used to have next to the Bennett's creek market years ago. A 7-11 sits on it now. 

• Like 2

I'm not sure this picture will come through but this is my aquaponic system growth a couple weeks ago.  It's a bit bare looking now though as I've moved or removed a few plants to replant it. The cucumber on the end is in an old Aerogarden.  

green house Dec. 20.JPG

• Like 1

I have had success with growing spinach in a planter inside a long with lettuce. I was told by someone to purchase a tiny soft paint brush from a craft store and become a bee. In other words take your tiny brush and pollinate your plants. Just gently brush the inside of each bloom on each plant. I thought he was crazy but came home and researched what he was saying. I was surprised to find he was correct. 

https://igworks.com/blogs/the-igworks-indoor-gardening-blog/pollinating-your-indoor-fruit-and-vegetable-plants

On 1/16/2021 at 1:46 PM, mommato3boys said:

I was told by someone to purchase a tiny soft paint brush from a craft store and become a bee. In other words take your tiny brush and pollinate your plants. Just gently brush the inside of each bloom on each plant.

Someone told me the same things years ago mommato3boys.  I've done it now for 20+ years.  Seems to work but I've never not done it, sooooooo. LOL   It also helps, "someone told me" to have a fan on them blowing gently.  It strengthens the stems.  I don't do it this time of year but when I start plants to put out in the spring I use the fan.

• Like 1

I use both for inside growing.  I have also heard that you can use an electric tooth brush and just touch the stem with it near the flower but haven't tried that.  The small artist brush is time consuming but worth it.  Only flowering plants that you want to produce fruit needs hand pollinating and sometimes they will do fine with just a bit of movement every day depending on what they are and what variety.  There are varieties specifically meant for greenhouse production but they are expensive and I haven't found them to be much better in production.  I do use a lot of patio versions for inside usually or at least smaller types. 

I use small (four and six inch) oscillating fans pointed at my plants inside all winter.  The movement keeps the stems stronger even on larger plants.  On seedlings you have to be careful they don't get too dry but the intermittent air movement does make the stems grow more robust.  It mimics the movement of the wind outside.   It also keeps the temperatures even from area to area.  

• Thanks 1