MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Gas Prices 2021

I'm not sure about gasoline but our LP went up 27 cents a gallon in just three weeks.  We might consider filling some extra tanks.  

• Sad 1

Dh said $2.30  at station on the corner near the house.  We will be watching.   When I first started driving, it was .75 and I remember it hitting $4.80 after 911.

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 1

I noticed yesterday that ours is $2.29.  DH said it went up this morning but I didn't ask him how much.

I remember a few years ago when it really got high, DH asked me how high it had to get before I'd consider staying home.  I said, "I'll let you know when it gets there but I'm warning you it's not even close yet."   Now though, with the pandemic I've gotten used to staying home and really do enjoy it.  Not going to tell him that though. :) 

• Like 2

Ours went up from 1.98 to 2.29. I won't be surprised if we don't start seeing prices go up to the 4.00 mark again. All of our utilities are also going up.  We were getting the newspaper, Just Wed. and Sun. and that went up 7.32 for 3 months. I was paying 12.00 for it. So cancelled the paper. I can go to Dollar Tree and get it for a dollar. Even with paying taxes on it, it would be cheaper. I only get it for the store adds and can get that on internet, so I really don't need to get the paper. Just another expense.  Even our cable and internet went up again. We are checking into other options as Spectrum is not very good and we really don't have other options right now.

I checked the station I usually go to today. Last week it was $2.09. Today it is $2.29. I had about 3/4 of a tank but filled it up any way. It probably won't come down any time soon plus we are getting cold weather and I don't like to stand out in the cold and wind pumping gas any longer than I have to. 

When we lived in San Antonio, Texas there was a gas war going on. This was around 1970. Gas was $0.19 a gallon. And with a fill up you got trading stamps and your choice of two sizes of smoky colored Libby glasses or a desert cup. I used those glasses for many years. Plus in the summer it was so hot the gasoline would expand so we did most of our errands in the heat of the day. Talk about running on fumes! 

• Like 1

President Joe Biden slashed thousands of union jobs on his first day in office due to the cancellation of the Keystone XL oil pipeline construction.

Immediately after Biden signed the executive order on Jan. 20 revoking their permit, TC Energy Corp, the company responsible for building the pipeline, announced that they would have to layoff 1,000 workers.

The pipeline was supposed to run from Alberta to the Texas Gulf Coast, and sparked controversy for building on Native American land.

<snip>

Let me be very clear: When built with union labor by the men and women of the United Association, pipelines like Keystone XL remain the safest and most efficient modes of energy transportation in the world. Sadly, the Biden Administration has now put thousands of union workers out of work. For the average American family, it means energy costs will go up and communities will no longer see the local investments that come with pipeline construction.”

https://www.westernjournal.com/unions-endorsed-biden-lash-stabs-back-day-1/

We will be going back to having to depend on other countries for oil. So gas prices, and our utilities are going up. So far our water and natural gas bill has doubled in price. Haven't gotten the electric bill yet. All the neighbors around here are raising cane.  DH said it was on news that they are putting 25 cents a gal. tax each month on the gas. They are going to try to force us all to use electric cars.  Biden plans on putting up charging stations everywhere in the US. 

So now with so many out of work, grocery prices going up, utilities going up, and yes even our newspaper jumped 7 dollars. I cancelled that as it was only for Sunday and Wed. paper at a 7 dollar increase. Cable here has gone up So now our cable and internet combined will be over $200. No wonder I feel broke and on a fixed income at that.  So many people now out of work because of the pipeline and other small businesses are still folding as they cannot afford the big increase in min. wage. Though I feel it is needed, It will hurt an already hurting economy. 7.25 for min. wage was not good in this day and age but this was not the time to increase it to $15.00 an hour. There will be more and more lay offs as the new min. wage goes into effect just to keep a business open but short handed.  

All this will cause a civil war and time is short.  Time to gear up for it in a much bigger way. 

4 hours ago, Annarchy said:

The pipeline was supposed to run from Alberta to the Texas Gulf Coast, and sparked controversy for building on Native American land.

Indian Tribe has regrets after Biden halts drilling permits: ‘Your order is a direct attack on our economy, sovereignty …’

Chief among the actions taken was revoking the permit for the Keystone XL pipeline, intended to carry Canadian crude to the U.S., and issuing a 60-day moratorium on the leasing of fossil energy resources and new permits for drilling and mining on public lands.

And while environmental groups praised the orders, the latter moves drew the ire of the Ute Indian Tribe, which has run an oil-and-gas operation on its 4.5 million-acre reservation for more than 70 years, according to the Washington Times

“Your order is a direct attack on our economy, sovereignty, and our right to self-determination,” Duncan wrote. “Indian lands are not federal public lands. Any action on our lands and interests can only be taken after effective tribal consultation. ”

Ute tribal leaders are demanding that Biden amend the order to exempt tribal lands.

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2021/01/24/indian-tribe-has-regrets-after-biden-halts-drilling-permits-your-order-is-a-direct-attack-on-our-economy-sovereignty-1020719/?utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_source=Get+Response&utm_term=EMAIL&utm_content=Newsletter&utm_campaign=bizpac

• 4 weeks later...

Trip home.... $2.999 technically $3.00/gallon.  Signs in TX saying limited fuel supplies at various places.  I was going to check at Sam’s, but, the waiting lines were outrageous.

• Thanks 2

I was just going to look for this post. Yesterday our gas was up to $2.69. I'm keeping my tank at 3/4 full. One, because I know it's going to keep going up and two I don't want to have to shell out $70.00 at one time to fill an empty tank. I think that's what a full up cost me at about $3.00 a gallon. 

That's a lot Annarchy. I always get stiffed when I'm on the toll road. But what are ya going to do. I always top off the tank before I leave Ohio and before I leave Indiana. 

It takes more gas to go to Indy than to come back to Ohio. Both states, in the northern part, are flat as a pancake. :shrug:

NBC News  Why the price of food and gas is creeping higher — and will stay that way for a while
Martha C. White
Mon, March 1, 2021, 4:16 PM
Recent price spikes for food and gas have caught the attention of consumers, as well as analysts — who warn that the pain of higher prices will hit the most vulnerable populations hardest of all.

The reasons behind the increases are myriad but generally can be traced back to one or more consequences of the pandemic: Logjams in the world’s supply chain are one culprit. The United Nations Conference on Trade and Development found that global shipping dropped last year, the first decrease since 2009. “The short-term outlook for maritime trade is grim. Predicting the pandemic’s longer-term impact as well as the timing and scale of the industry’s recovery is fraught with uncertainty,” the organization warned.

Pandemic-related production roadblocks also are contributing to rising prices for food and oil. Agricultural production is dependent on weather, and climate change has contributed to more extreme storms and changing weather patterns that impact planting timelines and crop yields. Food production in the U.S. also relies on a highly mobile army of laborers, whose low pay and crowded working conditions make them uniquely vulnerable to Covid-19 — a combination of circumstances that have crimped production and raised costs for food producers, said Phil Lempert, founder of SupermarketGuru.com. The combination of production bottlenecks and demand spikes have culminated in higher prices, especially for meat, he said.

Consumer Price Index data for the month of January found that the cost of food eaten at home rose 3.7 percent from a year ago — more than double the 1.4 percent year-over-year increase in the prices of all goods included in the C.P.I.

"Food prices are going to continue to increase for probably a good year, year and a half."

Lempert warned that shoppers shouldn’t expect relief any time soon. “I think food prices are going to continue to increase for probably a good year, year and a half,” he predicted. “Our costs are going to go up for food production,” he said.

Another contributor to escalating food costs is the rising price of oil and gasoline. Demand for gasoline bounced back more quickly than oil producers could increase production, leading to an upward march for prices, even with millions of people still not taking business trips or commuting to work.

American oil production had been rising prior to the pandemic. OPEC and its allies had tried — mostly without success — to disrupt this trajectory by increasing output and driving down prices, but Covid-19 delivered the blow to the American petroleum sector that OPEC failed to land. The price of oil plunged last year as nations shut down, with prices for certain futures contracts even turning negative at one point.

“Covid decimated demand. It caused a lot of contraction and production cuts,” said Patrick DeHaan, head of petroleum analysis at GasBuddy.com. “2020 set things back for U.S. oil production by several years.” Today, the number of active oil rigs in the U.S. is roughly 50 percent below its pre-pandemic number, he said.

Over the past two weeks alone, the national average price of gas has jumped by roughly 18 cents, GasBuddy data shows. Some of that recent rise was a short-term spike attributable to the deep freeze that led to production shutdowns across Texas, but DeHaan says even thawing temps won’t mitigate the rise in prices. “There’s been this imbalance in supply and demand as Covid cases have slowed, more businesses have reopened and Americans are filling up more often,” he said.

Advocates warn that higher prices for food and gas will have an outsized effect on the people least able to afford it. A new study found that the $900 billion stimulus package passed by Congress last December lifted 1.6 million people out of poverty. This pales in comparison, though, to the 8 million people who slipped into poverty between June and December of last year.

The poorest American families already spend more than one-third of their income on food: U.S. Department of Agriculture data shows that households in the bottom income quintile spent 36 percent of their income on food in 2019.

“If you think about food prices in the last year, they've gone up substantially,” said Geri Henchy, director of nutrition policy at Food Research & Action Center. “The impact for low-income people is they have limited budgets, which makes it that much harder to buy enough food, and it makes it that much harder to buy healthy food. It’s a disaster,” she said.

Not only are consumers paying more to fill their shopping carts, but rising prices for food affects the food assistance organizations that purchase everything from canned vegetables to peanut butter for distribution. The speed of the price increases means that government nutritional assistance and food programs haven’t had the chance to adjust their models to reflect what recipients receive in aid.

And although national supermarket chains and big-box stores have been largely able to mitigate the worst of the supply chain disruptions that occurred early in the pandemic, the small grocers and corner stores that are the only source of food in many low-income areas don’t have those kinds of resources. These retailers have no choice but to pass higher distribution and delivery costs on to their customers, Henchy said.

“If you think of under-resourced, low-income communities who are reliant on smaller stores, those prices only go up from there,” she said. “The costs are always passed on because those smaller stores don't have economies of scale.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Gas here has gone up to 2.69 a gal. now. Seems it is going up 10 cent a week.  I heard someone at church say that eggs have gone way up at Walmart. I haven't been to Walmart in over a year, so don't know what the prices were. But there were complaints about how high the prices on eggs are going. 

I have noticed a lot of canned goods are going up more now. So now to buy a can of fruit is now 1.99 a can. That is for a 15 oz. can. Used to be able to buy canned fruit 5 for 5.00 or sometimes 4 for 5.00. So 1.99 is crazy.  Will be buying peaches when the market gets the good ones from Carolina again. Other things had gone up as well the last time I was in the store.

• Like 1

I did a little traveling around yesterday March 19th. By my house the gas was $2.89. In Amish country it was $2.55

That seemed odd to me. I would have thought the price would have been higher down there because of tourists. Also the station I was checking out is right on a main highway, (Rt. 30) where a lot of tourists gas up before going on down into Amish country, especially coming from the easterly direction. Also many semi trucks use that station because they have a separate diesel filling pump area. I would think their gas would cost more due to the amount of traffic they get and the area. 

Of course I filled my tank up here at home before I left. :rolleyes: 

I feel like I was gouged in my own back yard. 

I just drove by the gas station here in town and it's back down to $2.69. Note to self. Don't buy gas on Friday.

Edited by Jeepers
Added Info
  • Like 2