MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Gas Prices 2021

Yes Midnightmom, I've been hearing a lot of that around the country. Especially in smaller communities. 

Don't forget that ambulances and fire trucks run on diesel too.

If things don't change within the next few months, I imagine school buses won't be able to afford to run either.  :unsure:

• Sad 1
On 5/20/2022 at 12:33 PM, Jeepers said:

They had better think hard and fast about that one. CA is pushing so hard for electric cars, that they expect rolling black outs for peoples homes this summer. Not enough electricity for everyone from those magical unicorn farts that produce electricity, I suppose. 

Something to consider when thinking of purchasing an electric car!

Video available at this link: https://www.kcra.com/article/watch-sacramento-firefighters-fight-first-tesla-fire-kept-reigniting/40266219

Watch: Sacramento firefighters fight their first Tesla fire that kept reigniting

SACRAMENTO COUNTY, Calif. —

Sacramento area firefighters put out their first Tesla vehicle fire this week, but authorities said it wouldn't go out with normal methods. Video shows the Tesla fully engulfed in flames when Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District crews arrived.

Advertisement

It "took a significant amount of time, water, and thinking outside the box to extinguish," Metro Fire said on social media.

The car kept reigniting and "off-gassing in the battery compartment," according to authorities.

The car was at a local wrecking yard due to being in a crash a few weeks prior. Firefighters worked with the crews at the wrecking yard to move the Tesla on its side. Crews directly sprayed the battery compartment under the car, but it still kept reigniting.

A small pit was created to put the car inside. Firefighters filled the pit with water, which fully submerged the battery compartment, authorities said.

tesla.JPG.c74df84c64e37d3fac436bbb1ebee07b.JPG  tesla1.JPG.bcd823114518daebb20b5507c78cbeb4.JPG  tesla2.JPG.758c103c06c15416441410e40b6ddf9c.JPG  

tesla3.JPG.1b462a2525101f4fa4b9ac8f08237900.JPG  tesla4.JPG.2bd1bc49a6d60dace10881b702381c8c.JPG

Imagine this as a roadside fire!!!  :wacko:  :o  :blink:

• Sad 4

Cheapest gas in my area today was Costco...had to drive 15 minutes to get there. My car had a quarter tank of gas already and it still cost $59 to fill the rest of the way. :(

5A59EEF4-2F80-4560-A068-8B3F7DA158AA.jpeg

C9BE0D34-AA1A-40A2-8B41-893EFE603485.jpeg

Edited by dogmom4
  • Sad 6

I’ve come to realize gas prices have definitely changed our lifestyle. We don’t just pick up and go out anymore. I plan for every errand to be done at the same time as much as possible. DH has pulled out his bike and is either walking or biking places. No bike for me though...I’d probably break something...haven’t been on a bike in years. But walking to places is going to happen much more often. Thank goodness I don’t have to drive to work anymore. Is anyone else making changes because of gas prices?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Dogmom you are not alone. I too have changed how I am going out to do things I need to do. My doctor is in the Churchland area. So, when I go to see him. I make plans now to go to the stores and things I need to go to at that time.  Big problem is going to be Church. Not sure how I will work that out as it is a 20 min. drive to church and a 20 min drive back home. Already I have friends in church that live closer than I do, and they said they won't be going to church much now. So, I am going to have to figure this one out. Don't want to be missing church if I can help it. But if gas prices get any worse, I might have to. We do have our church online since corvid hit and they are still doing that but is not the same as being there. We are at the $5.00 mark now and it is still going up. Seems like every 2 or 3 weeks it goes up again. I have been resorting to online shopping for some things and the closest grocery store to me is Food Lion and that is within walking distance to me. The second closest is Harris Teeter and I am now only going there every 3 months when I need to pick up RX. I try to do that one on a Thursday as it is senior day. So, I get 5% off my total grocery bill on that day. There are other stores there in that same area so I will take advantage of the Dollar Tree there as well. I have been thinking about ways to cut down driving now. Not going out much at all now. It wouldn't be so bad, but I need to get the construction paid off and don't want to be spending what I can pay on construction in gas. My plan is to pay more than the amount set up each month. It is already more than 3/4 paid and I have stopped paying him till work is done. But don't want to go into that money for gas.  I think we will all be trying to get creative in how we will be getting out and about without doing a lot of driving around. Not looking for this issue to get any better. We are heading for inflation and possible depression before it's over, if not a war. Keep your eyes on China. 

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, dogmom4 said:

I’ve come to realize gas prices have definitely changed our lifestyle. We don’t just pick up and go out anymore. I plan for every errand to be done at the same time as much as possible. DH has pulled out his bike and is either walking or biking places. No bike for me though...I’d probably break something...haven’t been on a bike in years. But walking to places is going to happen much more often. Thank goodness I don’t have to drive to work anymore. Is anyone else making changes because of gas prices?

We are. About the same as yours, except the walking or biking part. We live in the country, so there's not really anywhere that we can walk....church, maybe, but then we would be sweaty and gross. I thought of riding my bike to the store for ice, but it would be melted by the time we get back.

So yes, change, but mainly in the way of staying home more, consolidating trips, going out less, no sour of the moment outings. 😥

• Like 3

Good question Dogmom4.

Everything is so convenient for me around here. The grocery store, post office, doctor, drug store, Wal-Mart, Dollar Tree, library, Meijers, Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, Michaels, Best Buy, fast food joints and on and on are all in a 5-8 mile radius of me. We are even getting a new Tractor Supply about 2 miles up the road. Sam's Club is about 10 miles away. So all of that sounds good. But not really. I'm used to jumping in the car and making quick trips here and there. Sometimes twice a day if I take a notion. 

Well let me tell you not any more! The price of gas has put an end to those days. I plan out my trips more carefully now and definitely no more multiple trips in one day. I'm averaging 2-3 trips a week now with multiple stops. That is a big difference for me. It helps me a lot to make a list of what I want to pick up. I go the farthest away from the house and work my way back home. 

I've also cut back on the number of trips I take to Indiana in the year. Thats been a tough one but I'm working around it by staying over there longer when I do go. Going over there in gas round trip and driving around while over there plus the toll road fees cost me around $200.00 now total. That is outrageous for me. 

So, yes. I have changed the way I drive.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • 1 month later...

Continuing issues with Electric Vehicles!

519553464_greenbatterysafety.thumb.jpg.2011dca66d4214fa9c561f97a8fe8e37.jpg   1191935424_greenbatterysafety2.JPG.c050db20633754416acdb99417d79702.JPG

Parking Facilities Are Still Banning Chevy Bolts Due To Fire Risk

........... various parking facilities across the United States are targeting electric Bolts with a ban. Signs have popped up in many places explicitly stating that a given parking location prohibits these vehicles to be parked there, citing obvious concerns about the fire risk and ongoing recall for these models.

https://insideevs.com/news/543282/parking-lots-ban-chevy-bolts/

Ford recalls SUVs due to engine fire risk, says they should be parked outdoors

...... the company says fires can happen even while the engines are off. Ford has reports of 16 fires under the hood, 14 in rental company vehicles. One person was burned. It’s recommending that the SUVs be parked outdoors and away from buildings. So far it hasn’t developed a repair for the fires, which appear to start at the back of the engine compartment on the passenger side.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/19/ford-recalls-suvs-due-to-engine-fire-risk-says-they-should-be-parked-outdoors.html

And this is an OUTDOOR lot!!!

No Parking Allowed For Chevy Bolt EVs At A Parking Lot In SF

"For customer safety: CHEVROLET BOLT EVs are STRICTLY PROHIBITED from parking at this facility. Thank you for your compliance!"

1687705997_greenbatterysafety3.JPG.4afc8cb69760276d45a4787e86f21419.JPG

https://insideevs.com/news/531854/no-parking-chevrolet-bolt-evs/

• Like 1

Thanks for reporting that. I had no idea that was a big issue. I knew they sometimes caught fire but I didn't know it was that frequently. That would be a disaster if that happens in peoples garages at home. 

I wish the government would stop pushing their hairbrained, half-baked ideas on us. You'd think we were guinea pigs or something.  :whistling:

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Jeepers said:

You'd think we were guinea pigs or something.  :whistling:

Or something!!!!   :animal0017:

• Like 3