MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Trust Your 'Gut'

Lots of folks say:  Trust Your Gut

What does that actually mean to you?

Do you agree with trusting it....however you define it?

Do you see drawbacks or exceptions to this?

Do you have any real life...already happened stories about this?

MtRider  ...just wondering 

• Like 4

To me 'trust your gut' means to follow your instinct. That little feeling you have when something is either very wrong or something is very right with a situation. When I make a wrong decision I usually think 'dang, I should have known better'. I should have just paid attention to that little voice in my head saying not to do it. I should have trusted my gut instinct. Or, it could be my higher power trying to guide me. God, angels or some experience I've forgotten about that would have helped me? 

I usually follow my gut/instincts.

Drawbacks are it isn't always correct. But it usually is. Or maybe it's shifting the blame off of me on to something else. 'My gut instinct was wrong. But not me. I knew better'. 

I'm sure I have a lot of stories but I can't think of any now. It's like I acknowledge it and forget about it. 

• Like 5

Trusting your gut.  An odd term but not really that odd considering that the gut contains some of the same chemicals and hormones as your brain does and it's now believed that it might actually have a sort of intelligence that is connected with the brain.  

I almost always trust my instinct too, Jeepers.  I trust that inner voice. Even as a child I 'knew' things.  It has very rarely proved wrong.   If it's something that could be a critical decision I might take time to reassess but normally I go with my first 'feeling'. 

Real life stories?  So many it's hard to pick just one. I've felt the need to reassess our preps many times and have been glad I did as something always happened to make me glad I had, things like financial difficulties, shortages, or illnesses.  One example was when I felt something was going to happen in the US. For a couple weeks I had been unsettled.  I mentioned it to my adult kids who had already had a lot of experience with my 'knowing' things.  My daughter asked if it was going to be family and I said I didn't think so, that I felt it would be national but perhaps if she was going to make a planned plane trip she do it soon. She did. Then she called me early one morning and asked if I had the TV on, the World Trade Towers had just been attacked. 

Another example is more recent when I came back to Mrs. S because I felt very strongly the need to be better prepared.  I thought it might be simply because we were both getting older and my health was deteriorating fast but from the first minute of learning about the coronavirus, before it was even here, I was convinced that we needed to be prepped for long times of not being able to get groceries or other supplies. Without hesitation I immediately started to stock up. I am so glad I did.  You all know how that turned out.   

Do I see any drawbacks?  Yes, it's not always easy to follow my instincts because it interferes with my wants.  And the 'voice' that speaks can be insistent and persistent and often others don't understand my need to follow that inner direction.  Sometimes my instinct is wrong but not very often and those times are usually when something has changed the situation or need.  

I say, trust your gut.  It could save a life. 

• Like 7

I to have had those gut feelings and I have one now that is telling me I need to start moving some things into a good hiding place. I have been looking into that very thing and have an idea of what I need to do but need to get to hardware store to do it. I need some PVC pipe, and the glue to cap the ends after it is filled with what I feel I need to put up in safe place. Have a few ideas but won't mention on the internet.  That gut feeling we are being watched as to what we do on the internet is why I don't' mention a lot of what I do. Do I always follow my instincts, not always but most of the time I do.  That is why I have been stocking and canning as much meat as I can. Something about that new green deal is not good for the meat industry. Just something I can't put my finger on yet but yes, I have a gut feeling about this. I will follow it and see where it leads.

• Like 4

When I was a kid, about twelve I think, we were driving at night when my mother suddenly pulled off the road at a good speed.  We almost hit a big pine tree with a sign on it.  My brother and I had been dozing.  It was a rough stop.  As we were getting ourselves sorted out, the 18-wheeler truck that had been in front of us on the road blew tires and jackknifed, and the truck that had been behind us very nearly hit it.  Had my mom not pulled over, we would have been crushed between those trucks.  She said her gut told her to pull over.  

I have made a point of following my gut ever since.  It has led me astray some times.  It has saved me many, many more times.  

I laid in a goodly stock of N95 masks and medical grade gloves before commenting on the covid virus here.  Enough to make my family comment.  Then I doubled it, which made them comment in pointedly gentle voices.  Mannnn, I wish I had doubled that last order.  However, I don't at all regret sharing them with my children's grandparents when the grandfather (now deceased) commented they were skipping their medical appointments for lack of masks.  I would have preferred that DS1 not used the gloves up as cleaning gloves and cooking gloves, but the military taught him to do it that way, and at least they were there to use.  We now have culinary grade gloves and KN95 masks, but we have something.

• Like 6

Mt. Rider, I have some grain that is the long term grain and also some grain I put up in mylar bags with the 0x.  absorbers.  I am looking into buying another 25 lb bag if not to expensive. I have a grinder already.  The non electric one.  I want to get an electric one but will have to wait on that a bit. 

My gut tells me I better get some energy to do what I need to do around here at a much faster paste. But broken sleep every night getting up with Dh 2 to 5 times a night is a killer on energy. Trying to get myself into some sort of routine and have been talking with Dh about that. He needs to have a little consideration and corporate a bit better when I say it's time to do something like get his now sponge bath and he says wait a while or after this movie is over. That doesn't help me any. So today I put my foot down. And he got his bath when I said not when he decided to do it. He really doesn't think about all the things I am now faced with doing since he can no longer help me.  

• Sad 4
15 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

:thumbs:   Got a grinder?

MtRider  :cook: 

I have a manual grinder but I'm looking at electric grinders now. I have four picked out. Three have gotten good reviews from Youtubers. I just need to choose one. 

• Like 3

Sorry your energy is sapped Littlesister. Communicating to your DH is a good thing. Maybe he isn't realizing how hard it is on you. Or could his age be effecting his reasoning?  Hope you get it worked out soon.  :hug3: 

• Like 2

I learned when writing up critical incident reports that "gut feeling" would not fly in court so I studied it to find another way to describe intuitive feelings better for court.  Oddly, psychologists have also been studying gut feelings or intuition and concluded that it is the action of your subconscious picking up on tiny actions or words (some very small indeed) signalling something is wrong.  My report writing imnproved dramatically after I learned how to articulate those little things I had noticed that warned me something was about to happen.  For example, noticing someones breathing speeding up, voice getting highter, speech cadence speeding up, accent getting heavier, eyes starting to  look everywhere except at me, and finally fists clenching....well, get ready for a fight.    Intuition or gut feeling or minute observation, call it what you will.   I made LOTS arrests for drug possession with intent to deliver because I practiced picking up on those little signals....and believe me, those things do keep you safer when you wake up and pay attention to them.  I am a definite believer in trusting ye old gut.  

• Like 8

"minute observations"  I like that description, Kappy!  Learning to make those unconscious observations conscious would really be a skill to enhance for Stuff Hitting Fan scenario.  ...or like:  right now!  :( 

I think I do that with weather.  I'm always AWARE of weather....farm girl!!!  I'm always looking at sky and wind and temperature and "barometric readings" .....and just standing outside being AWARE.  But I also grab up the Doppler Radar and all the other meteorology pages I've got bookmarked ...daily.  I wanna see what's coming and prepare for it.  ...course those idiotic DERECHOS do not give much warning.  :shakinghead: 

MtRider ....how much do y'all think masks will cover some of the clues for interpersonal encounters?  :ph34r:

• Like 2

I think masks cover up a lot of subtle clues. I notice I still smile at people even though they can't see it. I only realize it after I've done it. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I think masks cover up a lot of subtle clues. I notice I still smile at people even though they can't see it. I only realize it after I've done it. 

How about just giving them a thumbs up! :24:

On 2/3/2021 at 4:45 PM, Jeepers said:

wheat berries

Grind only what you need.  Leave the berries it tact.  We put ours in buckets with a dusting of DE.  We have a very nice electric grinder but also a smaller Victorio (?) hand grinder.  You'd be surprised how much flour just a cup or two of berries will make.  We have the hard red, but recently picked up a large bag of soft white.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I ordered hard white for bread making. I also wanted some soft white for muffins, cookies etc. but they were out. I can always use the hard white for baking but I want to save it for bread making. I'm glad to hear the berries make a lot of flour since I got nearly 50 pounds of it. I should be set. I want to go down to Amish country and nose around the bulk food stores. Maybe I can find some soft white wheat down there. Also some corn. 

I got the Augason Farms brand wheat but I ordered it from Amazon. Amazon had it for 2 day shipping and Augason won't ship for 3-6 weeks plus how ever long it would be in transit. I paid $5.00 more but it arrives tomorrow. Augason Farms has been out of a lot of things for a very long time now.

I got Lehmans grain mill many years ago. I certainly didn't pay what they are asking now! Probably less than $150.00. And that about killed me spending that much.

https://www.lehmans.com/product/lehmans-own-hand-cranked-grain-mill/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe there are grain mills that are electric but can be used manually as well.  I haven't looked at them in a long time so it might be advantageous to take another look out there.  I have an old Corona hand mill that has seen a lot of grain go through it but it takes a lot of muscle to do enough for a loaf or two of bread. Still, It works.  We also have an large old electric store type coffee mill that DH modified to grind wheat and have used it for decades.  It works surprisingly well even yet.  We use other grains besides wheat now but i have used both those mills with rice, corn, millet, and a few other grains and seeds.  It's a lot easier to store any whole grain than it is to store the flour and it's all much better tasting when freshly ground. 

It's strange, I've had the same gut feeling. That it's time to go back to storing grain. 

Edited by Mother
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Certain mills will grind whole corn and beans but many will get gummed up.  Look for that too.  Can't imagine the big whole corn we grew on our farm in Iowa in my grinder.  But mebbe flint corn or popcorn might?  I'd have to look that up.

We've had the whole set of attachments for the Family Grain Mill for mebbe 15 yrs now.  Lot of use and have some spare parts set back. 

Comes with 4 different attachments to the base:  Grain grinder, meat grinder, "salad shooter" attachment [GREAT for dehydrating veggies], flaker for turning oat groats [the name for that whole grain] into 'oat meal' - flattened.  We also have both the hand-powered and the electric powered base. 

Grain stores best, as Mother and WE2 said, when not 'broken' ....

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Family-Grain-Mill-w-Handbase-and-Flaker-Mill/108248714?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222127073035&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=s&wl2=c&wl3=74560765003081&wl4=pla-4578160300389694&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=& wl10=Walmart&wl12=108248714_10000000931&wl14=Family Grain Mill&veh=sem&msclkid=e53e54ddc53f14bc529534c2b150134f

https://pleasanthillgrain.com/family-grain-mill-flour-grinder-wheat-grinder-combos?_vsrefdom=bppc&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Grain Mills - Branded&utm_term=family grain mill&utm_content=Family Grain Mill

There are more places selling this now than years ago.  Surprised to find it thru Walmart!  And no.....we didn't pay that much all those years ago either.  But you can pick which base and which attachments you want.

MtRider  :cook: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

My wheat, cornmeal and rice arrived Friday. Two day free shipping wasn't bad. I've left the buckets outside in 20 degree (give or take) since then. Easier than trying to put the stuff in a freezer. Hopefully it will take care of any bugs or eggs that might be residing in there. Today is the third day they have been out there. Then they will be in the car in the garage waiting to go to Indiana. I also have some oats out there. I still need some soft white wheat and some corn. 

I'm looking at Wondermill, Two different Nutrimills and a heavy duty mill. I can't link them from Amazon on the Kindle. I noticed one of the nutrimills that Alaska Prepper recommended is already sold out. KitchenAid makes one for their stand mixer but I'm not sure about it. I need to do more research. 

I have a hand crank one. I hear they are pretty hard to use and very tiring. I think it would take me awhile to make enough flour to make anything with. With an electric one I could use sons generator and grind up a couple of quarts worth of flour at a time. Assuming there was no electricity. I might even get a small-ish generator of my own to pump water and grind grain. And heat water for a bath/shower and to wash dishes. I'm not sure how long it takes a hot water heater to heat a tank full? 

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2021 at 12:09 AM, Jeepers said:

Also some corn

A couple of years ago we learned that the corn at Tractor Supply was "sifted" several times and is safe for consumption.  So...we stocked up on a few bags.  Put it in galvanized trash containers, dusted the bag with DE and then tapped the lid shut.  I kept a half gallon jar, put a mason jar lid on it, and set it in the pantry...to observe.  It did just fine.  Dumped some out, ground it in my hand grinder and it did what I expected...made corn meal! LOL

• Like 3

I wasn't having any luck findings corn on line so I went ahead and got some corn meal. I'd still like a bucket of corn though. I think I know where a tractor supply is in the next county. Would be worth the trip. I'm going to try Amish bulk food stores first. What I really want is some soft white wheat berries. 

I'm having trouble deciding on an electric grain mill. I have a hand crank but it's pretty hard to crank after awhile. I'd gladly use an electricity one over a hand crank. Assuming we have electric. 

• Like 3

We used to buy whole corn, wheat, and rolled oats from the feed store and seal it in buckets.  It always kept really well. Then we found that the store was spraying their warehouse for bugs and had poison out for rodents and I was concerned about the safety.  Try to check exactly where the feed comes from and how it was stored. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
On 2/7/2021 at 11:17 AM, Jeepers said:

I have a hand crank one. I hear they are pretty hard to use and very tiring. I think it would take me awhile to make enough flour to make anything with. With an electric one I could use sons generator and grind up a couple of quarts worth of flour at a time. Assuming there was no electricity. I might even get a small-ish generator of my own to pump water and grind grain. And heat water for a bath/shower and to wash dishes. I'm not sure how long it takes a hot water heater to heat a tank full? 

We had hot water again about 1.5 hours after the power came back on.

Watch the pawn shops for generators.  Ours came from a pawn shop for $200, and it's enough to run the camper (as long as we don't try for 2 electric heaters AND the coffee pot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
On 2/7/2021 at 11:17 AM, Jeepers said:

Wondermill

Two years ago my step mum and her brother sold us theirs (they bought it together and never used it) very cheap.  I'll use it when I want to grind up more than a few cups.  Hubby read where you could grind up a lot of the berries and store them in mylar bags and put them in the freezer and they'd keep almost forever.  Guess I'll be doing that before too much longer! :D

• Like 4