MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Bitter Cold

Good morning,  :wave:

I woke up to -11 degrees.  It's been this way for a week, at least.  It's to be this way for another 2 or 3 days.  How about some of you others?  Are you also caught in this cold spell?

So, my walking is done around the kitchen and dining room.  My car doesn't want to start very badly if I do decide to make a run to the grocery store.  My bathroom tub and one of the sinks are frozen.  I'm praying for no broken pipes, etc. etc.

So, what I'm doing is a lot of reading to keep me from losing my mind. :)  What I'm reading at the moment is Nora Roberts, The Awakening.  Next will be a Sharon Sala book.

My question?  What are you reading and I'd love some advice on reads, authors and books, that you're enjoying.  My favorite reading is historical fiction, NOT historical romance, and most things in between.  I don't like Stephen King types or any gross or thrillers of serial killers, etc.  Oh man, I don't like where bad things happen to children. 

Thanks everyone and enjoy.

Keep reading!  :reading:

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

We're supposed to get down to 0.  Not supposed to be above freezing again until Tuesday.

No historical fiction here; I'm bouncing between Tiago Forte (personal knowledge management - ie, organizing your thoughts and resources), Nir Eyal (Indistractable - because attention is going to be the new currency), and Dr. David Perlmutter (Brain Wash - Rewiring your brain out of the digital phase).  Hmmmm.  Seems to be a theme here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Its -24F, feeling like -42F here this a.m. and not getting better until Tues. Its been this way for several days already. Our water line is frozen but we've not had time to work on it and this way, we didn't have to worry about it. Getting water from our daughter's and making do til then. This is a regular occurrence in this house with such bitter cold temps. I don't have any particular author that I like, but I read a LOT---I get my books for .25 at the local thrift store which ALL profits go for the rescue of animals in our area. Or I get them at the little free library....or also we have a 24 hour auction on fb that sometimes people offer up...usually get a few books for a dollar or two.

• Sad 4

My brother in Montana says it has been -24° All week.  Yikes.

Stay safe everyone.  You all deal with frigid cold, and I deal with a furnace for 6 months of each year.

So..... you don’t want to know......   it’s mid 70’s here.   :whistling:  But, there is supposed to be a storm coming in and MIL called and told me not to go to TX next week, if, it’s as bad as the forecast is predicting.

• Like 3

Yep, we're to be getting -20 temps. like your brother, tomorrow.  We usually know what's on its way by watching the weather channel and seeing what's west of us.  Next week when it hits the 30's it will be like a cool summer day.  Yes, it's true .  

Seventies???  It will come but not for a long time yet.  You enjoy that weather but be sure to feel sorry for us. :) 

• Like 3

Same below zero cold here too.  So far no frozen pipes thanks to heat tape and pipe insulation but if the wind picks up with it, like it's supposed to, we probably will have some.  I pray the electricity  holds.....

DH and I have been reading (taking turns reading aloud) Jack London's Scarlet Plague.  Written in 1910 and published originally in installments and then later in book form I am amazed at how he was able to include (perhaps predict) many things that did not occur until years later.  AND how it might pertain to our pandemic today. Thought provoking.    

• Like 3

Oh, I do Dee.  Brrrrrrr....  I wouldn’t know how to handle it anymore.  Lived in MI for many years, but, have been in the desert over 3/4ths of my life.  MIL wrapped her pipes outside, turned up her heater and is leaving the cabinet doors open, to prevent her pipes from freezing.

I was thinking about that trip I was going to make to MT, but, hindsight is a wonderful thing... I honestly do not have warm enough clothes, jackets, or shoes.  I have a hard enough time keeping warm when it drops below 40.  I don’t know how you do it.   That’s probably what you say when I mention we are above 115° for weeks.

I haven’t been reading, except here at MrsS, gardening books and canning recipes.  It’s spring gardening time.  Trees & bushes need trimming, fertilizing, lawn is 1/2 way seeded, tomatillos keep producing and tomatoes are beginning to ripen...  I’ve got until late May, maybe, before everything turns crispy dry.

• Like 3

TheCG and Motherhen....I didn't see your posts earlier.....sorry!  

CG, your 20 sounds like a heatwave. :)  You really are into important reading.  I read fluff.  The other makes me think.  Your reading makes me think of Mother, she's always reading things that matter too.  As I tell her, I like sticking my head in the sand.  Sad but true!

Motherhen, Wow, your -24 makes -11 seem warm. NOT! :)  We're supposed to see -20 something tonight and tomorrow.....  Hard to believe I'll be starting seeds in another couple of weeks but, as we know, spring will arrive sometime.

I'm a sub at the library and also on the library board so we pretty much order whatever books we think we'd like.  Our town and county give us a nice amount of money yearly, yes, we're very fortunate, so buying books is just downright fun!

Keep reading! :reading:

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Mother said:

Same below zero cold here too.  So far no frozen pipes thanks to heat tape and pipe insulation but if the wind picks up with it, like it's supposed to, we probably will have some.  I pray the electricity  holds.....

I so hope the electricity holds too and the furnace.  What horrible weather to have it go out.  I often wonder how the homeless survive in this.

I agree on books from long ago being so relative today.   They're interesting to read to see and wonder if they were just lucky or could really see this or that happening.

• Like 5
35 minutes ago, Annarchy said:

Oh, I do Dee.  Brrrrrrr....  I wouldn’t know how to handle it anymore.  Lived in MI for many years, but, have been in the desert over 3/4ths of my life.  MIL wrapped her pipes outside, turned up her heater and is leaving the cabinet doors open, to prevent her pipes from freezing.

I grew up in Southern California and absolutely loved the Iowa winters when we moved here when I was 21.  I'm now 74 and hate them. :)  Funny how our ideas change.  Given the choice though, I will stay with winter.  There are just too many people in the LA area and where we live our closest neighbor is our son and his family at 1/4 mile away.  I love our farm and farm life.  AND, you're right.  I couldn't imagine 115 degrees.  Yikes!

Your gardens turn crispy brown just as ours are beginning.

• Like 4
45 minutes ago, Dee said:

CG, your 20 sounds like a heatwave. :)  You really are into important reading.  I read fluff.  The other makes me think.  Your reading makes me think of Mother, she's always reading things that matter too.  As I tell her, I like sticking my head in the sand.  Sad but true!

If I stick my head in the sand, then I'm alone with my own thoughts.  Those things need to get out of my brain and onto paper.  Pretty certain that I have the answers to world peace, where Jimmy Hoffa ended up, and our finances all stuck in there somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

We have been cold here too. Nothing like Motherhen though. Dang girl, you win the winter prize!  :frozen:

Pretty chilly at Dee's house too!  :D

Hope your pipes don't burst!

It's been in the 20's during the day and the teens at night here. I got some grains ordered that arrived last Friday and they have been outside getting debugged ever since. So the cold snap has been useful for something. I'm putting them in the garage tonight. 

TheCG, you need to let that stuff in your head run free. Any answers on Bigfoot? 

I wish I could screenshot my Kindle. I have a bunch of books (76) in a 'collection' I titled "Era". But I haven't read them yet so I can't really recommend any of them. I also like books (82) about different countries I titled "Cultures". I haven't read them yet either. I've been too busy reading prep books and garden books. I don't mind a little violence (very little) if it isn't too graphic or gratutious. If I read about an animal getting hurt, I can't take it. Even if I know it's going to be okay. I can't read it or see it. Even Bambi and Old Yeller set me off. :sEm_blush: 

I don't like romance novels either unless it's something like a Jane Austen book. I only like them because of the era. 

Long post to say, " I got nuthin".

• Like 2

I avoid fluff "twaddle" mostly.   Isn't that a great term for children's fluff books?   I came across it reading about Charlotte Mason homeschool methods.  For children's books, bookstores are mostly full of twaddle.   But the other term is "real books" and "living books"....written by an  author about something they are knowledgeable and passionate about. 

What I'm reading right now...with the brain fog,  I'm just not following deep or how-to.   I'm trying to read before sleeping to help me unwind.   So not too exciting,  but interesting so I don't think about my health stuff and stress stuff,  and chapters that don't leave me hanging.   I NEED sleep and I know sometimes putting a book down is a challenge.  I don't typically read dark stuff, except for history.       So here's my current list:

Letters of a Woman Homesteader by Elinore Pruitt Stewart.  Each chapter is a letter the author wrote to her former employer after she moved to Wyoming in 1909 to homestead.   She also wrote Letters of an Elk Hunt by a Woman Homesteader, but I don't have that one. 

Journey into Christmas and Other Stories by Bess Streeter Aldrich.   So far, everything of hers I've read, I've liked very much!

Get Your Hopes Up!  by Joyce Meyer.  

I'm not sure what else is up there in the pile.  

Buying for a library would be so much fun!   I like the shopping for/researching books.   I can't use the library or do used books or books printed overseas due to my allergies and sensitivities, so that limits things.   I like having our home library, so I can "shop the shelves" here for reading for me and for homeschooling.    Last year's book buying budget faced cuts.   I'm going over my  lists right now trying to decide what I need to make sure we have and what simply has to stay on the wishlists for now.   Decisons, decisions.

We always have a family read aloud going.   From what I've read in books,  :lol: families used to do that before TV.   Now I don't think many families even watch TV together...everyone doing there own things on their own screens. 

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary
  • Like 3
8 hours ago, Dee said:

Yep, we're to be getting -20 temps. like your brother, tomorrow.  We usually know what's on its way by watching the weather channel and seeing what's west of us.  Next week when it hits the 30's it will be like a cool summer day.  Yes, it's true .  

And ..... you are always so kind, generous, and thoughtful to pass your nastiness our way.  :24:  :laughkick:

We still haven't topped that record three years ago. It was -36 F. It took out half of my orchard trees, which had only been planted 1.5 years.  :0327:  If this keeps up, I'll die of old age before I get a bite of those apples.   :gaah:

• Like 2

Weren't you taught to share Homey?  Me too, so I'm happy to pass the nastiness on! :whistling: :D

I don't remember 3 years ago but I know they've been talking on the news how cold it was.

That's the pits about your apple trees.  I hope spring is nice and all your blossoms set.

• Like 3

Sadly, out library moved to a new building.  They refused to take paper books or magazines. Absolutely no paper books or magazines in the new building. Broke my heart to throw away, into the recycling bin, a complete collection of National Geographic magazines beginning from 1950. We needed the storage room, boxed them up, and searched the net for someone who wanted them, after 5 years, it was time to make room for everything else.  I actually cried when I trashed them. :sigh:

• Sad 3

If you have Verizon with the slightly higher data plans, you get free Apple Music, Hulu, Disney+, and ESPN.  The difference more than pays for itself, and I have tons of music available and hubby gets to watch The Mandalorian.

• Like 1

I do have Verizon. I just figured out how to make a grocery list to take shopping...with the help of my DIL. Sigh. Two weeks ago I found Candy Crush and Solitare. I've had it about six months or more.

But can you download songs into a computer to be transferred to a CD? 

2 hours ago, Dee said:

Are you saying they won't even buy new paperbacks or subscribe to new magazines?  

No.  Everything is digital, computer, CD’s. Absolutely no real paper books.  I have never been so disappointed.  :sigh:

• Sad 3

I have Kindle on my iPad.  I’ve downloaded many antique how to books, cooking books, quite a few devotional books, and several older college course books.  I haven’t figured out how to delete worthless ones from my library, yet.

DH is an extreme reader.  He enjoys SiFi, mystery, horror, etc.  King, Pratt, Anthony, Lamour, etc.  His library is 15’ long by 9’ tall, times 2.  I built the bookshelves, then, filed all his books in alpha order, by author.  

DH says, TX is expecting temps close to 0° in the next couple of days.

• Like 1