MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Health and Safety in Extreme Weather Conditions

23 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Mt. Rider, between garage and house is usually just drywall with a layer of insulation between them. Mine is cement about a foot up and then drywall. It helps to paint the garage walls. Makes it a little less permeable.

Talked about this with my mom last nite.  She remembers smelling "exhaust" in the living room [shared wall with garage] when my dad would warm it up in there.  :o   Why is this not common knowledge ......or am I the only one shocked at this danger????   Paint???  A little less.....  Hoo boy! 

MtRider  :scratchhead: 

• Like 1

Yep, the garage wall, a bat of insulation and the inside wall. A lot of fumes can come in from the door that leads into the house from the garage too if it isn't tightly sealed.  It's one reason why they tell you not to run a generator in a garage. Or a charcoal grill. And to keep the garage door open or better yet pull the vehicle out when warming it up. 

My furnace room is right beside the door coming from the garage into the house. Would probably be a good place for a smoke/carbon monoxide detector. 

• Like 2
On 2/14/2021 at 11:34 PM, Midnightmom said:

icy sidewalks or stairs

I mix this in a spray bottle and we use it as a de-icer for windshields.  I am sure it would work on sidewalks too.  A weed burner also makes short work of ice...LOL

• Like 2
On 2/15/2021 at 8:12 AM, Mother said:

hand warmers

A couple of years ago hubby bought both of us a Christmas gift of the butane hand held hand warmers.  They work wonderfully!  Haven't had to use them this year, but I know exactly where they are if we need them! :)

• Like 1
On 2/16/2021 at 3:15 PM, Mother said:

The camper van is pretty much ready winter and summer except for water and fresh foods

Love my "Miss B"  (our class B motorhome)! 

Miss B.jpg

• Like 3
On 2/16/2021 at 5:57 PM, Jeepers said:

small 1-2 person pop up type tent

I saw where a family put one up on their bed for their children, and the kids were warm as toast!

• Like 3

Miss B is a beauty for sure. 

I'd love to have another pair of those bibbed snow pants. I used to wear them when blowing snow and never got cold in them. I wore a pair of long handles under them. I couldn't believe how warm they were. No wonder skiers wear them.

• Like 1

Don't forget our fur-babies!  Because we're only able to keep the temp here at 60 we put Abby-girl's sweater on her.  At first she tugged at the neck until hubby rubbed her down and she found she really, really, really likes it!  He takes it off frequently, brushes her down and puts it right back on...and she steps right into the front legs!  I also put an extra fleece throw on top of her mattress, then her lambs wool pad, and then the throw.  She stays nice and warm...but still like to come lay in front of the Eden Pur when it's on! LOL

• Like 3
21 hours ago, The WE2's said:

Yep!

Here are some similar to the ones I got. They are just paper but work just fine. And small enough to tuck away anywhere. 

They are only about $4.00 for a dozen so if one or two breaks it isn't the end of the world.   

Asian Folding Hand Fan Assortment | Oriental Trading

Looks like I don't know how to capture the whole caption. We were talking about paper hand fans.  :sEm_blush:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1