MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Pet Safety and Everyday "Innocuous" Objects

Mylar bags can suffocate your dog. Be CAREFUL with them around your pets. :(

'I just knew she was gone:' Chip, snack bags pose deadly danger for your pets

PORTLAND, Maine (WGME) — Snack bags found in stores and households across the country can be deadly for your pets, especially dogs.

A Maine woman tells the CBS13 I-Team she learned that the hard and heartbreaking way. Her heart dog was Finley, the first golden she got as an adult, with her now-husband. "She just was like, a fun, easy dog in such a crazy time in my life," Pierce said. But her life was cut short, at just a year-and-a-half old. 

Pierce says Finley and her other dogs had been home alone for 20 minutes, when a friend stopped by. "She came home and found Finley lifeless on the floor and her head was in a bag of chips," Pierce said. That bag caused her to suffocate.

One PSA describes how it happens: The Mylar type bags create a vacuum like seal around the neck as he tries to breathe, the bag tightens, cutting off oxygen.

So what can you do to protect your pets from suffocation? Experts say it's simple.

• Serve snacks in a bowl and store them in plastic containers, out of your pet's reach.
  • Cut up the bags so they’re no longer a hazard.
  • And make sure your trash can has a secure lid, or is stored behind a cabinet. 

She turned her heartbreak into advocacy, founding the non-profit, Prevent Pet Suffocation. Pierce hopes sharing Finley’s story will save other pets.

https://wgme.com/news/i-team/i-just-knew-she-was-gone-chip-snack-bags-pose-deadly-danger-for-your-pets

https://krcrtv.com/news/nation-world/i-just-knew-she-was-gone-chip-snack-bags-pose-deadly-danger-for-your-pets?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=socsyntes&fbclid=IwAR0WeRoqnqKjHrXJDewVUWulIqAdW5y6DBDj9GZNX7GbYBotQzYH1FtCZlU

• Sad 2