MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Vitamin D

A little vitamin D info from one who's been there and done that for years.   

I have extremely low Vitamin D. (9 with normal being 30-100)   I found out through testing at least 20 years ago.  About five years ago my doctor had me get genetic testing. He was looking for genetic reasons for my adverse reactions to so many medicines and it seems that can be genetic.  That test gave us lots of answers.   It also found I had faulty VDR genes (Vitamin D Receptor genes).   Taking vitamin D supplements are difficult for me as one is made from mushrooms and the other type from lanolin, both of which I'm allergic to and because of my genetics.  I react with bone pain when I take supplemental Vitamin D even when taking a specially formulated sublingual one with other supplements and even then they don't usually raise my levels more than a few points.    I react to sunshine with a rash (and bone pain) until I get some tan which of course lowers the effect of the sun on production of Vitamin D. 

Most people don't know what their vitamin D levels are but if you live in the northern part of the country or have dark skin chances are you are low. In Illinois there is very little benefit from the sun on Vitamin D production from about October to March and often times people will have 'winter depression, sometimes called Cabin Fever, sometimes called the Winter Blues or low light depression, but usually connected with low D levels.   Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin and can be stored in the body for long periods of time IF you get enough throughout the summer and do not have faulty genetics.  Still with the pollution and green house gasses and the fact that they are mostly darker skinned or tanned, even those in the southern areas can be low.  The elderly in particular are prone to that just as they are prone to low levels of B12.  

Windows block the UV rays needed for Vitamin D syntheses.  Sun screen does the same thing.   There is the danger of skin cancer with being exposed to direct sun but to get the benefit a person only has to be in the direct sun with as much skin exposed as possible for fifteen or twenty minutes a day. 

There is a lot more info on the internet about what vitamin D does but one more important thing.  Though you probably won't get an overdose using the sun it is possible to overdose on supplemental Vitamin D and it is best to know your levels before you supplement.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

My last blood test said I was extremely low in D-3. I was given a prescription for it but found it as cheap at Wal-Mart. Plus I could get more than a 3 month supply at a time if I wanted to. 

I thought about getting one of those full spectrum winter lights but read where they didn't produce vitamin D. :shrug:

• Like 4
  • 6 months later...

I asked my dr for test he say no need, next time asked again no and then third time he finally gave me the papers to get test and yes it was bone pains low.

Then I got Rx vitamin D but vits are here pay yourself. And some time later found a online pharmacy bit higher dosage lower price and it helped more. 

Reading up on vitamin D see that it helps with many things and is used by body for many things. I noticed too before using got all sorts of colds and now never.

• Like 5

I went in to my doc in Feb 2020 and she fussed at me for being low in Vit D.   "It's winter in Colorado, Doc!  Not a lot of sunshine!"  She said: around these parts, sunshine isn't going to be enough...supplement!  OK.  But as COVID was just starting, DH made sure we had all the vitamins/minerals stocked and taking them.  This year she was very pleased with my lab results. 

MtRider  ....good thing you've been persistent, Beryl!  :thumbs:  

• Like 1
On 9/11/2021 at 9:32 PM, Mt_Rider said:

I went in to my doc in Feb 2020 and she fussed at me for being low in Vit D.   "It's winter in Colorado, Doc!  Not a lot of sunshine!"  She said: around these parts, sunshine isn't going to be enough...supplement!  OK.  But as COVID was just starting, DH made sure we had all the vitamins/minerals stocked and taking them.  This year she was very pleased with my lab results. 

MtRider  ....good thing you've been persistent, Beryl!  :thumbs:  

I can't find the article now, but when they tested covid patients most had a vitamin C and D deficency. So take those supplements.

• Like 4

I was stocking up on vitamins and minerals to the point where they were expiring and getting expensive.  Now I just stock up on Vit C, Vit. D and Zinc and a multi vitamin Centrum Senior.  Also CoQ 10 because I take a statin and baby aspirin for healthy heart maintenance. 

I remember last year when you couldn't buy Zinc anywhere for quite a few months. 

I forgot, I also have some turmeric chews. The brand I happen to have tastes pretty good. 

Beryl, can you get vitamins at your local pharmacy (chemist) or Wal-Mart (Tesco)? I watch a lot of British shows so I know those terms.  LOL.  

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I remember last year when you couldn't buy Zinc anywhere for quite a few months. 

I also stocked up on Zinc when I was able to find it, but I don't like the "taste" of it, so, I bought some empty gelcaps and put the zinc in them - problem solved. :D

I also bought Vit D3, but the liquid version - no other minerals, etc. I put a dropperful in my morning beverage.

• Like 2

I have some liquid B-12 that I take on occasion. One kind I got tastes...not too bad. Sort of like cherry cough syrup without the strong alcohol taste. I use it sublingually(sp.) under the tongue. It can leave an after taste but I drink something a few minutes after I take it and that solves that problem. Another brand I got tasted so bad I had to throw it away.  

Forgot to add to not put some vitamins in hot drinks. I can kill their potency. I don't remember which vitamins though. 

Edited by Jeepers
Forgot A Thought.
  • Like 2

Turmeric is an anti inflammatory herb that can help with swelling and pain.  It has many other uses as well.  It is also a blood thinner and should be used with caution with warfarin and other such meds.  I home test for INR levels each week and have found it to raise my levels only in concentrated forms. I make up my own capsules from a quality food grade powder and find it moderately helpful with only very slight raises.  

Turmeric  is one of the ingredients used in curry mixes.  It is often used as a coloring agent in many foods.  Pretty useful herb to have around.  By the way, you an grow your own like ginger but it is not cold hardy. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks OOTO.   It’s true vitamin K and D do work synergistically but warfarin doesn’t care. :24:   Hmmm sorry.  I couldn’t resist some humor.  I take warfarin.  Taking vitamin K in any form can lower the INR numbers that is important to keep within a set range when taking warfarin (Coumadin) to prevent blood clots and etc.  Most people on warfarin believe they can’t have dark leafy greens or supplements with K even though K is important for its health giving benefits and its relationship with D.  I am lucky in that I am able to home test my INR level weekly and the clinic which monitors it is able to adjust my meds accordingly.  The key is to eat or take the same amount of vitamin K consistently each day.  I have not had a med adjustment in a long time.  Despite vitamin K however I am unable to keep my vitamin D levels up because of allergies to the supplements and natural sources.  Working on it though as it’s a vital nutrient. 

• Like 4

Mother. you are so right about the coumadin and vitamin K.  Dh was put on coumadin right after he got the watchman put in. I had to run to hospital pharmacy to get the vit. K to give him as he could not take the coumadin and his INR was way to high. He was only suppose to be on that for 4 weeks and then stop it, but didn't work out that way.

• Sad 2
4 hours ago, Mother said:

I take warfarin

I had fun at the VA hospital last week looking out my room window. I would ask all the interns/residents if the knew what that tall bldg was across the street. Nobody knew. I explained that it was the WARF building.  Wisconsin Alumi Research Foundation. That is where wafarin was developed (WARF). They would just stand there like deer in the headlights.  :24:

• Haha 5

I am one who suffers from the 'seasonal disorder' primarily starting in January-February due to lack of sun and my allergies to cold weather :). It didn't start until I moved to the farm years ago, probably because I came from a tropical area where warmth and sunshine were in abundance and I was always outside for one reason or another. But after moving to the farm and living in an area that had more distinct 4 seasons, I started to emotionally tank after the first of the year.

I started taking Vitamin D to combat it and it immediately worked. I now standardly take Vitamin D year round, especially with the immune support it offers to be a part of keeping my body strong against Covid.

• Like 3
  • 6 months later...

Found this interesting to read as I have recently had a blood test and I have low vit D, not sure whether it's my age or the low sunlight levels we get in the winter, I'm more inclined to go for the former as the symptoms hang around regardless the time of year. It explains a lot of things, low mood, bone pain and other symptoms. Also dealing with depression and a hatred for work. I'm taking a vitamin D supplement now, only a week or so in, so not seeing any benefit yet. 

Hope the supplements help everyone else

• Like 2

It doesn’t take too long for the supplement to show raising levels in the blood if you are taking the correct amount but it takes a LONG time for the symptoms to recede.   We’re you prescribed a certain amount?  The recommended daily allowance is extremely low which is why you see supplements in the 1000 or 2000 range instead of the hundreds.  

It’s also important to make sure you have adequate magnesium and calcium in order for the vitamin D to do its work in the body.  Each time I attempt to take vitamin D I have terrible bone pain and the other supplements help ….some… with that.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And you should to be taking some Vitamin C with the calcium, unless it's a certain kind of calcium, to make sure your body can use it properly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was very long a few years ago on vit. D. My doctor put me on prescription for it. 50,000 units a day till it came back up and then on the lower dose of 2000 daily. I am still on 2000 a day along with mag. and calcium. Doing good so far. I do get outside a lot, so still don't know why my levels dropped so low.