MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

A little vitamin D info from one who's been there and done that for years.   

I have extremely low Vitamin D. (9 with normal being 30-100)   I found out through testing at least 20 years ago.  About five years ago my doctor had me get genetic testing. He was looking for genetic reasons for my adverse reactions to so many medicines and it seems that can be genetic.  That test gave us lots of answers.   It also found I had faulty VDR genes (Vitamin D Receptor genes).   Taking vitamin D supplements are difficult for me as one is made from mushrooms and the other type from lanolin, both of which I'm allergic to and because of my genetics.  I react with bone pain when I take supplemental Vitamin D even when taking a specially formulated sublingual one with other supplements and even then they don't usually raise my levels more than a few points.    I react to sunshine with a rash (and bone pain) until I get some tan which of course lowers the effect of the sun on production of Vitamin D. 

Most people don't know what their vitamin D levels are but if you live in the northern part of the country or have dark skin chances are you are low. In Illinois there is very little benefit from the sun on Vitamin D production from about October to March and often times people will have 'winter depression, sometimes called Cabin Fever, sometimes called the Winter Blues or low light depression, but usually connected with low D levels.   Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin and can be stored in the body for long periods of time IF you get enough throughout the summer and do not have faulty genetics.  Still with the pollution and green house gasses and the fact that they are mostly darker skinned or tanned, even those in the southern areas can be low.  The elderly in particular are prone to that just as they are prone to low levels of B12.  

Windows block the UV rays needed for Vitamin D syntheses.  Sun screen does the same thing.   There is the danger of skin cancer with being exposed to direct sun but to get the benefit a person only has to be in the direct sun with as much skin exposed as possible for fifteen or twenty minutes a day. 

There is a lot more info on the internet about what vitamin D does but one more important thing.  Though you probably won't get an overdose using the sun it is possible to overdose on supplemental Vitamin D and it is best to know your levels before you supplement.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I came in at 24 in December on a blood test. It's hard getting enough sunshine during the winter, which is one reason solar power is not viable in Wisconsin.     :wave:

• Like 3

My last blood test said I was extremely low in D-3. I was given a prescription for it but found it as cheap at Wal-Mart. Plus I could get more than a 3 month supply at a time if I wanted to. 

I thought about getting one of those full spectrum winter lights but read where they didn't produce vitamin D. :shrug:

• Like 2