MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Food In Cans And Buckets

Have any of you been on the Augason Farms website lately?

Augason Farms Food Storage & Emergency Food | Prep SOS

All of their canned food is sold out. They have been very low in supplies lately but not this bad. I got a notice that they will no longer offer food in cans, temporarily, because they can't get the cans. I wish I had saved the notice but I didn't. It's sort of odd because most of the food that uses cans is back on the market shelves. Except vanilla coke.  :sigh:  

Shipping times for what they do have in stock is 3-6 weeks.

Also, last week I got an email saying:

February 25, 2021   

We have some good news and some difficult news that may “resin-ate” with you.  

The good news: We get to pull out the resin pun that we have been sitting on for a very long time!  

The difficult news: Resin prices are going up. 

All right, it may be that our difficult news will outshine the good news in this situation, but we know that when troubling times show up, it is important to communicate the reality of the circumstance. 

Here is what is happening. Since December, we have seen significant price increases for resin due to various factors impacting the petroleum industry. This is being exacerbated due to recent winter storms in the South that have caused power outages and dramatically slowed resin production. Essentially all suppliers have announced “a dire situation,” “a force majeure in the marketplace,” escalating prices, and limited supply. We anticipate long-term increases in the price of resin.  

So, what are we going to do about it? Our goal is to minimize the impacts to your business and to help you get the products you need when you need them. This will take a concerted effort from everyone. Gratefully, we have established partnerships that will allow us to navigate these troubled waters together. Our warehouses are teeming with shiny new products, our supply chain team is scouring the marketplace to find new and better options, and we are ready and willing to roll up our sleeves.  

This might be the right time for some cliché idioms like, “We are all in this together” or, “There is no ‘I’ in team,” but the reality is that we’ve got some work to do. We are sincerely grateful for your business and anxious to demonstrate our value during this incredibly unique time!  

Warm regards, 

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmcusercontent.com
Scott Martin
CEO, Container and Packaging

First, I don't have a business. I bought a half dozen 2 gallon buckets for food storage. I'm thinking their "shiny new products" are going to be cheap items at a higher price. The little buckets I bought a week or so ago are already sold out.

So, if you are in the market for buckets now might be the time to get them. 

Don't stop prepping. Things are getting more and more scarce and the prices are only going up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Several of the sites I usually buy from are "out of stock" on a lot of things. I guess I will be doing things the old fashioned way. Cooking those dry beans and dehydrating them myself. I will be looking for frozen veggies to dehydrate, but it is hard to find plain jane veggies. Everything has butter or seasoning on it now days. I also having trouble finding jars right now. Just got to buckle down and get busy so we can eat next year. I am noticing price increases around here not only in gas but prices on the shelves too. 

Edited by mommato3boys
  • Like 6

For veggies to dehydrate, I look on the very bottom in the freezer case. They are usually plainer, cheaper and bigger size packages.

The next batch of corn or peas I put up I'm going to Sam's Club buy in bulk.

Prices around here have gotten scary high too. :(

• Like 2

Hmm,  I thought Resin was made from the sap of trees not petroleum?   I realize they are talking about buckets and such but.  Just seemed a strange thing to call plastic.  I have lots of buckets but they are all old and a bit brittle. Guess I need to think about a visit to our local bakery and see if I can buy some used ones.  

• Like 3

I remember way back a few years ago the government was buying up all the foods from all of these places like Augatson Farms, and you couldn't buy anything in a no 10 can for a while. Wondering if this is happening again. I remember several places that said they couldn't sell to the public as the government had made orders that was wiping them out.  Something to check on again. Right now I am trying to get free buckets from the farm market. They are the 5 gal. pickle buckets they get the pickles in. He is going to save me some. I am hoping to get at least 10 of them. I have 5 new buckets I bought a while back that I put in attic out of the way for the ramp to go in. I need to go up there and get those down, as I have a lot of flour to put up and other things as well to get put up. I am thinking of a small freezer to just keep the flour in and that would be about all I would use that for but need to clean out garage first. Can't do that till DD and SIL get all their stuff out of it. I am storing a lot of things for them right now. They just moved into the house this past Friday and trying to get the new appliances in now. They got the oven but the gas line has to be hooked up. the Fridge and dishwasher was coming today. She said now they are going to have to replace the bathtub in one of the bathrooms. It is a huge house as far as the rooms are very large, but the house needs a lot of work. Mostly cosmetic work. So they are going to take a room at a time to remove old wall paper and get each room painted. 

• Like 2

I "duck-ducked" the question:  What are plastic buckets made from? 

https://livegreen.recyclebank.com/column/because-you-asked/are-plastic-buckets-recyclable

Quoting:  ==========---============----=======

Most plastic buckets are made from high-density polyethylene (HDPE/#2) or polypropylene (PP/#5). The type of plastic your bucket is made of can be identified by looking for the RIC, often found on the bottom of the bucket in the center of the recycling arrows symbol. This will indicate the resin type.

EndQuoting  ------================================

I'm no chemist so I don't have any idea why "resin" is a part of plastic, nor why it's in short supply.....   :sigh: 

Fun Fact which does not solve the resin in buckets question:  :shrug:      .....as nouns, the difference between rosin and resin is that rosin is [organic chemistry) a solid form of resin, obtained from liquid resin by vaporizing its volatile components while resin is a viscous hydrocarbon secretion of many plants, particularly coniferous trees.  As a verb, rosin means to apply rosin to something. 

AH HA!

https://www.thomasnet.com/articles/plastics-rubber/types-of-resins/

Quoting:   =================================

Resins are typically viscous substances that convert into rigid polymers through a curing process. Resins are naturally occurring but are now often made synthetically. Some synthetic resins have similar properties to natural plant resins, but many are very different. 

Ending Quote   =======================================

https://www.mjspackaging.com/blog/the-complete-guide-to-plastic-resins/

Quoting:  ===========================================

How are plastic resins made?

Plastic resins are created by heating hydrocarbons in a process known as the "cracking process." The goal is to break down the larger molecules into ethylene or propylene -- which come from the crude oil refining process -- or other types of hydrocarbons. The amount of these two compounds produced will depend on the cracking temperature used.

The monomers then undergo polymerization reactions that produce polymer resins. These are collected and processed further. This processing can include the addition of dyes, flame-retardant chemicals, or plasticizers.

Following the completion of the cracking process, the compounds are formed into chains known as polymers. Each different polymer is combined to make the plastic resin that has the characteristics for various applications that in turn make the bottles, containers, closures, and caps for your products.   

End Quoting   ======================================

As for the metal cans:

Quoting:   ===================================
can coatings, which are used to protect foods and beverages from the metal surface (preventing degradation of taste) and the metal surface from the foodstuffs (to protect the metal integrity and reduce the risk of food-borne illness and death). Cans are coated with resins, the components of a liquid that can set into a hard... 
End Quoting  =====================================

Sorry..... :lol:   .....I DO get carried away with digging up a Why or How or What For.....  But apparently this "resin" is not Mother's pine tree sap.  THIS resin is a petroleum product.  And since it's the product that the whole buckets and lids are made from....AND the coating to protect the food from the metal cans.......no wonder they have a problem with a "resin shortage". 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

Edited by Mt_Rider
fixin'
  • Thanks 5
11 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Plastic resins are created by heating hydrocarbons in a process known as the "cracking process." The goal is to break down the larger molecules into ethylene or propylene -- which come from the crude oil refining process -- or other types of hydrocarbons. The amount of these two compounds produced will depend on the cracking temperature used.

Just add the ethylene to the propane and natural gas that comes from oil wells, and you will only see the beginning of the oil industry disasters.    :thumbs: 

• Sad 3

Thanks for the info Mt.R. but I'm not sure I needed the addition by Homey. Gulp. :behindsofa:  

So, if I'm getting this right most of our cans are coated inside with this 'resin' stuff and it's not the natural kind of resin.  I wonder if it could possible leach into foods and if it would be good for us if it did?  But I'm also wondering what they will use if they can't GET the components to make that 'resin'?  It's interesting to realize just how dependent on oil we all are. 

• Sad 1

Why do I get the feeling that whatever they will be using might not be good for us. This puts the question about using store bought foods that have gone out of date but is still good. Would resin leach into the food over time is a big concern.  As it is they have poisoned us with the GMOs and other things they have used over the years in our food source.  One of the reasons we are antibiotic resistant is because of the antibiotics they give to the animals that is used for our meat and eggs. Not to mention milk and milk products. Then there is all that processed food that is loaded with sodium. This is one of the reasons we have all these illnesses like diabetics, heart disease, kidney issues, some cancers and much more. Of course some of the diseases are also based on how well we take care of ourselves as well.  I have also heard that the organic foods in the stores are not all organic. So have to watch that as well. 

The market is saving up buckets for me as I am getting ready to plant tomatoes, cucumbers, and such. I am thinking since they are food grade buckets they will be ok for what I want them for.  As for my food, I will do most of my dry canning in glass jars. I am also going to buy up as many quart jars as I can and can my own water. I do have about 4 cases of canned water now. That water will last for ever almost. If like the food is stored in a cool, dark place. Don't like to buy bottled water that comes in plastic for long term, but will buy it for hurricane season as that I will just use up fast.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Littlesister said:

t 4 cases of canned water now.

ACK....just added another prep for our possible BIG SNOW TAKING DOWN ELECTRIC LINES scenario in CO  [a real potential.....my post in Streams...]

11 hours ago, Mother said:

could possible leach into foods and if it would be good for us if it did? 

well the coating is to protect us from the metal......   It ends up being one sort of plastic....among LOTS of different "plastics".  Depends on whether it's "inert" enough, I'd guess?????

Extreme heat might change something in it's composition???

I have no chemistry background so I could barely read those articles ....  :shrug: 

MtRider  ...hmmmm....    :lois:  

• Like 1

I was on the Augason Farms website a minute ago and a pop up appeared saying; we have suspended food production due to #10 can shortage. I tried to save it but it was a pop-up and I couldn't highlight it. I'm looking for some corn now. 

• Like 2

Jeepers, try the patriot supply. The food is not in buckets or cans but in mylar bags in boxes. I have ordered from there and the food is good. They do have corn and other things as well.

3 hours ago, Littlesister said:

Jeepers, try the patriot supply. The food is not in buckets or cans but in mylar bags in boxes. I have ordered from there and the food is good. They do have corn and other things as well.

Jeepers the Ready Store has #10 cans of corn.  On sale for 18.00 and some cents but can't remember the full prices.

Thanks Littlesister but I'm looking for field corn by the bucket for grinding into corn meal. I should have said that. I'm probably going to have to make a trip down to Amish country to the bulk food stores.  Darn.  :D

I checked out both places and all they have is sweet corn. The Ready Store is 20.00 for a # 10 can!  :0327:

Here is what I'm looking for. I just need to make sure it's organic, pesticide free, non GMO, for human consumption etc. 

Amazon.com : field corn

• Like 2

For field corn I go to the local feed store.  The clerk there is an old timer who knew what I was talking about when I talked about making home made hominy and canning it.  He has UNTREATED plain field corn for sale.  I just get that ever since another feed store employee told me the workers feed their families the untreated grains from the feed store.  I dearly with Mary liked cornbread, but alas, she does not.  Finding white wheat down here in the South as tough as finding rye flour.  If it ain't self rising flour, or self rising cornmeal it is as scarce as hens teeth.  Probably going to have to order more white wheat (whole) and some rye as well.  I miss my rye bread and so does Mary

• Like 5

Yes, untreated is what I'm looking for. I thought about a feed store but wasn't sure if it was fit for human consumption. Now I know. I'm going to try Amish country first. I know the 'off the beaten path' areas down there away from the tourist areas where it will probably be cheaper. Plenty of feed stores down there too. 

• Like 1

I just winnow it before storing and wash (rinse in a colander and let dry) before using just in case it picked up some debris (husks, dirt) along the way.  Nothing our ancestors didnt do as a matter of course.   Amish might even have "double cleaned" available.   I was relieved to find a feed store person who understood....some of the urban places calling themselves feed stores have a genuine panic attack over humans eating their grains.  But then again they won't drink out of a hose or crap in a cathole, either, LOL.  They don;t know the adventures they are missing. 

Seiously, the only real difference between the human grain and the animal grain is that the grain is bigger for humans, and they pick out the broken pieces and debris.  And of course, the price...imagine getting 25 pounds of grain for what the health food store charges for 12 ounces :happy0203:

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 2

To be honest, I wasn't as concerned about dust and debris as I was chemical use. Since popcorn is meant for human consumption and can be popped for a snack (food fatigue) I figured I'd go that route. 

• Like 1

I agree Jeepers...POPCORN!!! If I can get two uses out of it I think I will get more bang for my buck. I just wish popcorn would make good hominy but alas I have to have field corn for that.

Edited by mommato3boys
  • Like 1

So I've decided on popcorn. And as Mommato3boys said more bang pop for my buck. 

I went on Amazon to look around. Here is what I found out about Orville Redenbacher I wasn't looking for that brand. It just popped up  :D.

Answer:
"Almost 90% of the corn grown and eaten in this country is GMO corn, popcorn comes from a different seed and has not been genetically modified."

Answer:
Hi there. Thanks for your question regarding our Orville Redenbacher's Popcorn Kernels. We'd like to let you know that most farmed plants are treated at some point with herbicides and pesticides. The treatment is done in accordance with regulations that specify the type, quantity and schedule of such materials, and assure safety for the eventual consumption of the food produced. The only way to completely avoid these materials is to buy items that are certified organic. 

So I'm going to look for some 'certified organic' non GMO popcorn. I usually don't pay much attention to organic but in this case I will because of the pesticides and weed killer. Since it isn't GMO, I'll bet they use plenty of weed killer (maybe even Round Up :0327:) and pesticides on the crops since the seeds aren't modified. 

• Thanks 3

The Augason Farms notice popped up again. This time I got it. I'm not buying any thing. I just like to check on it once in awhile to see how their food supply stands. They say they still have food in pails but its mostly pre packaged meals.

AUGASON FARMS HAS HALTED PRODUCTION OF CANNED FOOD ITEMS DUE TO A #10 CAN SHORTAGE

ENTER YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS BELOW TO BE NOTIFIED WHEN THEY COME BACK IN STOCK.

(WE STILL HAVE FOOD IN PAILS)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I was on last night looking for o2 packs and noticed that more and more companies are going with pouches instead of cans. I wonder if this is the "new trend" I am not fond of the pouches due to them not being mice proof. When I buy dried fruit and nuts I always repackage them into jars. The prices "look" better in pouches but you don't get as much food and if you buy enough pouches to get as much as a #10 can it is way more expensive. :faint3:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I bought some freeze dried foods from the ready store to see how they were going to come. They were packaged in boxes and good for 30 years if stored properly. Each box has 6 packs of food in them.  I don't like the way it is done as like you say, mice can get into them. I am thinking of keeping them in the packs and putting that food still in the package in one gal. glass jars. Don't know if I open them and put in jars, if they would even last the 30 years. Though I know it will be eaten long before that 30 years.  I have some food I packaged up in Mylar bags a few years ago and now I need to go through that food as I had forgotten about some of it and I pulled it out of closet to check it. I am hoping it is all still good. But will be checking on it. I really feel a need to get all the food in house under control and properly stored. Most all of it is properly stored but I still have foods that need to be stored that I have bought over the past year. Flour is one of them. I am going to buy a smaller freezer after I get the garage cleaned out and son in law takes that monster air compressor out of the garage to take to his house. I want that one just for the flour and a few other things.  I gave that to him as he will have more use for that than I will.  Though I will buy a small one for putting air in tires and such.

• Like 3