MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Massive Winter Storm Hitting the Midwest!

Yep....that was ours.  Thankfully the wind here wasn't as strong as that.  And yeah....  :sigh:  tomorrow is another one but hoping it's just blowing thru quickly.  This one over the weekend was massive in it's impact:  Severe rain/thunderstorms/tornadoes in warmer areas and from that Gulf moisture....curved around and dumped the snow on Wyoming and Colorado.  It was all one HUGE weather system that covered many states.  I didn't hear or count how many states this one affected???

I've been catching up on news of it's effects down south.  Sheeesh....better blizzard than nasty tornado!  Hope everyone is safe.  Did you get any of that, Miki?  Eastern Missouri too. 

MtRider  ....tune in for more Colorado weather tomorrow....  blech, I'm OVER snow already!  ;)  But the moisture is GOOD!

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Did you get any of that, Miki? 

Not yet and don't think we will. Going to get down in the 30s at night again but 60s during the day.  We are getting the first of the rain today and supposed to be about 77.

• Like 4

Ice is going to be a problem when we can get rid of the snow.  Right now....can't even be any ice.  We rarely get a load of snow like this.  But....  :amen:   .....snowplow guy just showed up this afternoon.  Kinda opened the driveway but was needed at many places.  Hope we don't get stuck coming up or down the driveway cuz still deep snow on each side.  But he freed up my truck down below so if nothing else, that will work and we walk the hillside. 

I used my snowshoes to walk down and  :blink:    was shocked at the height of the drifting.  Whole flat area....right in front of the truck.....2-3 feet of crusted, packed snow drifts.  Oye!  So much for truck being Plan B. 

Didn't think our guy on a quad plow could do it but....an hour later, here he comes.  Took him several times, turning and pushing downhill....then taking another run.  He made it up to top finally.  I was so surprised.  And glad! 

Here's a story I haven't heard in the news:  vacationing folks in the AirBnB's are stuck and don't have enough food...cuz they weren't supposed to be there that long.  2-wheel drive vehicles.  He's been doing as many rescues as he is plowing. 

Forgot to ask what snow totals he's seen in our high country community. 

MtRider  ..when this starts to melt.....  :faint3: 

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Sad 3

There is a stomach bug going around and it hit me about 5am yesterday. It kicked my butt. Finally got chicken noodle soup down around 8:00 last night. Phenergan was my friend yesterday. Today I am still washed out and little to no energy so I stayed home from work again and boy am I glad. Here in the panhandle of Texas we have about 60mph winds so the snow is blowing sideways. They are saying 1-4 inches turning to rain later today. I hate snow. I loved it as a kid, you got to stay home from school and play in it. But as an adult you still have to get out and go in it. Just thankful for the moisture. 

Y'all stay safe and be careful out there.

• Sad 6

Mommato3boys,   Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. Hope you are doing better today.

Just got an alert from USA today that a NWS storm prediction center issues rare Level 5 "high risk" alert for severe storms, incl. strong, long track tornados, for parts of AL, AR, LA, and MS.  

Please everyone in those areas stay safe.  And stay alert to the news on this. I am reading these storms should start sometime this afternoon and peak sometime this evening.  

Edited by Littlesister
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I came on here early today cuz I just saw this on Weather page.  :pray:   for Miki and MrM and furry ones today!!!

Also stuff going on in N TEXAS......  TheCG?  You and yours ok?

MtRider  :( 

• Like 3

Hope you're feeling better, Mommato3.  Yuk, flu is so bad. 

Accuweather is watching tonite's storm system.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/severe-weather/live-news/live-updates-on-tornado-danger-for-southern-united-states/916726

Predicting the whole SE area will have bad weather events tomorrow-Thursday.  Including all of Georgia to be on alert.... Kappy and C. Mary!   Also upper Florida.... Ambergris!

Who else lives east?  Both Carolinas.  Virginia....south area for sure.....?  Eurphrasyne, Little Sister? 

Wow.....it's caused by yet another "upper level LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM"  

Make sure you have Most Important Paperwork [for fur kids too] in waterproof container with you.  Put on motorcycle {a WE2 suggestion}, football, or riding helmets!  Pour water.  Snacks.  Crate critters that need that.  Charge electronics. 

MtRider   :pray: 

• Like 3

Sorry you caught the flu Mommato3boys!  :bouquet:

I hope and pray everyone stays safe during this weather pattern. Tis the season I guess. Seems like starting around Palm Sunday we start hearing about tornados.  :(

• Like 1

Heard from my sister in Birmingham, they took a pounding but all are safe and sound. My niece and her family made multiple trips to their storm shelter. It was rough day in Alabama today. The running joke is if James Spann (the local weather guy) takes off his jacket you know you are in for it. Well he had his jacket off early today.

Thank goodness it was just a the stomach bug and I will be back at work tomorrow. I am not sure what I will find when I go in my boss did my job :0327:

• Like 4

We took a beating starting at about 3 am this morning.  Thunder, some lightening, hail, high winds, and rain.  Didn't get any sleep so I'll probably hit the sack early...especially since we're supposed to have another front move in later this evening and tomorrow.  As long as it's not ice, we plan to go the the homestead and do some more work (there's a basement there and we have a NOAA radio there also).

• Like 4

My friend traveling, said I40 was closed, due to heavy snow, drove through snow, sleet, hail, winds from a tornado, and rain.  May God protect her on her journey.  Amen. 

I had some side winds, not bad, then, as I got to TX, traffic stopped for a few minutes. The sign said lanes were closed, but it wasn’t, just slow going for 10 miles. 15 mph.  A couple of accidents.....  yikes!

Gas is outrages , $3.28 at home, $3.50 half way here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Yay, glad your 'bug' did not hang on longer, Mommato3.  :amen:    LOL...good luck at work.

Sheeeesh, you guys.  As EXHAUSTING :faint3:  as blizzard clean-up is......I'll take that ANY day over the threat of storms with severe winds/tornadoes/etc.  I grew up along the Mississippi and know those storms too.  :behindsofa:   So glad to hear from you that have come to say you're ok.  AND of course we're all knowledgeable and prepared....taking whatever measures to ensure safety.  :cheer:  

Anyone heard from Miki???  :unsure:  Their area was a predicted target last nite but haven't heard what did or didn't hit there.  Who knows if they have power/Internet tho.....  :pray:  

MtRider  :pc_coffee:    Watching the weather channels.....  sheeesh!

• Like 2

Mt. Rider, people look at me funny when I say give me a hurricane any day over torandoes, blizzards, or fire. You can RUN from a hurricane but not the others.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree about taking a hurricane over a tornado any day. At least with a hurricane you have some warning. One is as deadly as the other one though.  :(

Every one take care and keep your head up and your eyes and ears open. Preaching to the choir, I know. Weather is always unstable this time of year but for the past few years, even more so. 

• Like 2

Glad everyone so far is doing ok in this messy weather.   Please stay safe from all this.

We didn't get anything so far. Just cloudy weather.  Hope we don't get it but I think tomorrow is suppose to rain. It was in the low 70's today and was nice other than no sunshine to speak of.  And I really don't want to see that much snow around here.  

• Like 1

I forgot to log out last night.     Seems the middle of the country is really getting a beating.  This is really bad.  Please everyone in those areas stay as safe as you can.  If this type of weather keeps up the middle states which is the bread basket of the country will be wiped out. Prices will rise because of this. Hope this one won't do the damage the last one did. 

• Like 1

Oh my. I heard it was coming but I hadn't seen any updates. I watch a few Youtubers from MS. and this is very worrying. 

Sending prayers up now!   :pray:

Miki please check in!  Kappy and Mary?

All of our members please check in. I'm having brain fog where we all live. 

• Like 1

Stephanie is in Alabama which got hit.  Can anyone check her on Facebook?

Miki?  There has to be some power lines down again in some areas.  The linemen must be BUSY!  :pray:  They don't make any mistakes.

Darlene said they got buckets of rain last nite.  They're okay.

MtRider  :pray:     ....second "Particularly Dangerous Situation"  classification of storm within 2 weeks.  Yikes!

I am still praying for all those that were in the path.   :pray:

• Like 1