MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Important Water Safety Tip: Swimming Pools

This was just posted to FB by a local city that has a public pool.

With Spring Break nearly here and Summer not far behind, it’s time to talk about buying swimwear for your kids! While it’s fun to wear every color of the rainbow, some colors are much safer options than others where swimming is concerned. This photo shows how swimsuits of different colors show up under water in a pool with a light-colored bottom.

The top photo in each section shows what the fabric looks like underwater when the surface is smooth. The bottom photo shows what the same color looks like when the surface of the water is agitated. Water agitation can make things “disappear” under water.

Do yourself, your child and your lifeguard a favor by choosing a swimsuit with bright and contrasting colors. Neon pink and neon orange are ideal swimsuit colors. Think of it like wearing reflective clothing at night to help motorists to see you better. 

Although the darker colors show up on a lightly-colored pool bottom, they can often be dismissed for a pile of leaves, dirt or a shadow. Avoid those colors whenever possible. A white swimsuit is the hardest to spot in a pool with a light-colored bottom, as it disappears almost entirely with any water agitation.
Photo Credit: Alive Solutions
May be an image of text that says 'ALIVE selutions SWIM SUIT COLOR TEST RESULTS'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • 2 months later...
On 3/30/2021 at 3:37 PM, Midnightmom said:
(POSTED BY CITY OF REDDING)

With Spring Break nearly here and Summer not far behind, it’s time to talk about buying swimwear for your kids! While it’s fun to wear every color of the rainbow, some colors are much safer options than others where swimming is concerned. This photo shows how swimsuits of different colors show up under water in a pool with a light-colored bottom.

The top photo in each section shows what the fabric looks like underwater when the surface is smooth. The bottom photo shows what the same color looks like when the surface of the water is agitated. Water agitation can make things “disappear” under water.

Do yourself, your child and your lifeguard a favor by choosing a swimsuit with bright and contrasting colors. Neon pink and neon orange are ideal swimsuit colors. Think of it like wearing reflective clothing at night to help motorists to see you better. 

Although the darker colors show up on a lightly-colored pool bottom, they can often be dismissed for a pile of leaves, dirt or a shadow. Avoid those colors whenever possible. A white swimsuit is the hardest to spot in a pool with a light-colored bottom, as it disappears almost entirely with any water agitation.
(See photo)

Here is the missing pic:

1097650612_swimsuitcolors.JPG.4b1893aff4254460e09700c811a434ae.JPG

• Thanks 2

Never would have thought about colors on a bathing suit and something that is good to know. i haven't owned a bathing suit in several years, but will be having to get one in near future.  My daughter is putting in both a swimming pool and a hot tub at her new house. So I guess when I go to visit I will be playing in the pool or enjoying the hot tub. 

• Like 1