MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Air fryer as dehydrator

We allowed ourselves two splurges. One was fishing poles the second was a French door dehydrator oven (Gourmia brand). It said it would dehydrate, so last night I pulled out a bag of frozen veggies that I had bought for this purpose. And this is what I decided...

1. It will dehydrate!

2. The basket's holes are too big. As stuff dried it would fall through so I had to put a try under the basket to catch food. I am thinking of buying a small roll of window screen material and cutting it to fit the basket tray for the air fryer and for my round trays in my dehydrator. I have the same problem with it. 

I will probably use the air fryer more often, as I can control the temperature. I will purchase another tray so I will have two for it. Over all I like it. As they say on Forged in Fire ... It will Dehydrate :girlneener:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mommato3boys said:

2. The basket's holes are too big. As stuff dried it would fall through so I had to put a try under the basket to catch food. I am thinking of buying a small roll of window screen material and cutting it to fit the basket tray for the air fryer and for my round trays in my dehydrator. I have the same problem with it. 

Is window screen material safe for using with food??? Go to "Michael's" (or another craft store) and buy some plastic mesh with the size grid that you want. It is stiffer than window screen material, easier to clean, food safe, and won't rust.

• Like 1

Don't do the screen method! I thought of that too. I bought some and it smelled really bad. I didn't even get it all cut up before I had to pitch it. Some of it is chemically treated to discourage insects. I bought the plastic cloth kind. I don't know about the wire screen material. Lots of people use the plastic grid from the craft department. I don't know if it's food safe either. Especially when it's being heated for hours in a dehydrator. 

I use parchment paper with my Nesco. It isn't washable so you do have to change it after 5-6 loads but it is safe to use. 

• Like 2